The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 September 2019, 12:50 AM   #1
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Would you trade Patek for RM?

In short, I personally would not, as I don’t fully understand RM and its pricing. Entry level RM pieces are over $100k, which seems absurd to me.
However, I have a 5990 and also with crazy pricing, the fleeting thought passed my mind....try RM?? Ummm

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Most of the line is 100-135k...

Depending on which watch on either end. I wouldn’t trade a 11/12
And for a 11-03. I would trade almost any other patek
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Not for me, just never liked their styling.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I’d consider it but don’t think I’d do it. They’re just so different. Classic Patek which should retain value and style vs skeletonized RM that is hot now. I’m sure it is tempting to cash in on the inflated values but I think I’d stick with Patek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Only for bonbon I would. But not my 11. The rest can go.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #6
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
Not for me. Patek will always remain with me.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:16 AM   #7
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Only for bonbon I would. But not my 11. The rest can go.
Look at u troll. Lol
Old 1 September 2019, 01:18 AM   #8
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I doubt I could pull the trigger on a trade like this. Patek is classic, RM is trendy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 September 2019, 01:35 AM   #9
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
I favor classic styling...so no for me.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:39 AM   #10
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I would take 5740 or an AP toubillion over any non toubillion RM. I still have the 35-02 But planning to sell when my number is called for the 5740.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 01:59 AM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Btw plastique...

Of the RM’s you may be interested in none will be available to u. I had to buy the RM029 just to get in the door. I am however moving down the path of a 67-02 and 11-03 hopefully shortly after

Ideally if you decide to move the 5990 you could roll that into a RM030 but there is production issues and they are behind this year so if you do it... you need to stay in front of them for when the list open back up. That is in the low 90’s msrp and has the same size as the 11’s

If you want the only 2 other watches that are accessible would be the RM 11-01 Mancini (which is kind of meh for me) or the 11-02 GMT (it reminds me of the 5524G with the extra pushers). I think neither is that exciting at 135k and 165k

Also remember, orders require full deposit...so it’s a fully prepaid watch.

If you make a shift to RM... u are making a real commitment, so make sure you know what you are getting into.

Don’t all ur friends have lambos and RM’s?
Old 1 September 2019, 02:00 AM   #12
pam66
"TRF" Member

i am not a great admirer of patek but would not even swap a calatrava for an RM.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 02:02 AM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i am not a great admirer of patek but would not even swap a calatrava for an RM.
But yet u have funky color sneakers and sunglasses. That’s what puzzles me lol. It should be right up your ally
Old 1 September 2019, 02:52 AM   #14
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
But yet u have funky color sneakers and sunglasses. That’s what puzzles me lol. It should be right up your ally
actually, i like funky stuff, be it sneakers or watches. what i dislike about RM is the pretense of select high-tech materials (it makes my physicist friends lol), the case design (plain ugly IMHO, at least the funny-shaped oval ones) and the skeletonized movements that are right up the ally of a 9 year old high-tech goon. and all that for 100K USD plus..
buying an RM is a bit like feeding trolls...::)))
so, in brief, there you have it.
Old 1 September 2019, 03:02 AM   #15
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
RM has been trendy for 15 years. At some point I think it’s past beyond trendy/fad. I think RM pretty well established. I don’t have one and prefer Patek but I respect what they build.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 03:20 AM   #16
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
I would only get an RM if it was at retail. Either a 35, 11-03 Gold or 55. Anything else no thanks. Would I swap one of my Pateks? Yeh if I could rid the 5205G then sure, but I'd be 60 grand short
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #17
chmhill
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I like clarity more so I wouldn’t trade my PP for the RM.
chmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 03:40 AM   #18
Vipes
"TRF" Member

No, RM is not for me.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 04:12 AM   #19
somebodyy
Banned

I'd trade lame steel sporties for a RM 63-01 but that's it. If any other Richard Mille, they'd only be additional.
somebodyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 04:25 AM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

RM’s are a very mixed bunch, some are inventive and technically leading edge, others are emperors new cloths with very little merit.
Personally they are not for me but I can appreciate some of them and how boring would it be if we all liked the same things - I do not expect values to hold over the years to come, current prices are absurd.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 04:30 AM   #21
somebodyy
Banned

Majority of this forums seems to like the same things...
somebodyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 05:09 AM   #22
Justindo
"TRF" Member

You'd have to pay me to wear a RM.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 05:27 AM   #23
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Yes and no. RM really got hot last 2 or 3 years. I was able to get 20/25% off on all models including 55, 35, 35-02, and etc. in 2016/17. The clientele is very small and the price point is very high. If the trend changes (that's a big if) the prices can plummet quickly. They are cool but I prefer PP/AP any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
RM has been trendy for 15 years. At some point I think it’s past beyond trendy/fad. I think RM pretty well established. I don’t have one and prefer Patek but I respect what they build.
Old 1 September 2019, 05:42 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
I think a severe downturn, which will take down many brands, will really show us where they are but I suspect they are established enough now to emerge as a long term player.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 05:44 AM   #25
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Richard is a lovely guy and I respect what he has done for the industry, his vision and the added value he was able to generate but I personally do not like his watches. I am a PP owner and I connect with PP on a whole new level.
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 05:47 AM   #26
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Also remember, orders require full deposit...so it’s a fully prepaid watch.
Is it fair to assume that the deposit will sit in some escrow account or would you lose out if sth went terribly wrong at RM while you are waiting?

A fully prepaid watch is interesting as I hear for some models you don't exactly know which one you will be getting in the end...

Haven't made up mind on RM and am in no rush... Maybe I'll end up laughing like pam66's friends if I remember my physicist days when doing my homework, but who knows...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 06:16 AM   #27
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post
Richard is a lovely guy and I respect what he has done for the industry, his vision and the added value he was able to generate but I personally do not like his watches. I am a PP owner and I connect with PP on a whole new level.
Richard is definitely a cool guy. Met him and his son, Alex at the NYC boutique opening. I hope RM continues to do well in the future but looks like it's definitely slowed drastically right now at least in the secondary market. No one is really buying or selling. Dealers with 40/50 RM watches are holding tight. The tourbillons are not moving at it. I would love to pick up an RM tourb at a right price. We will see what happens in the next 24 months.
Old 1 September 2019, 06:23 AM   #28
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Is it fair to assume that the deposit will sit in some escrow account or would you lose out if sth went terribly wrong at RM while you are waiting?

A fully prepaid watch is interesting as I hear for some models you don't exactly know which one you will be getting in the end...

Haven't made up mind on RM and am in no rush... Maybe I'll end up laughing like pam66's friends if I remember my physicist days when doing my homework, but who knows...
they said their undergrad students can produce and mold those materials in the lab in zero time. so that part of RM's message is called out as BS. the fact that Raffa nadal's watch weighs 18 grams (or something like that, i don't remember) and resists the acceleration of his arm when he does a kick serve, is of anecdotal interest, but how much do they pay him to wear that 650K USD watch?:::)))
what i like about RM are the colorful straps but G-shock has that as well:::))) ah yes, i forgot, the bonbon watch is nice, if they sell it for 5K USD, generously speaking.
Old 1 September 2019, 06:34 AM   #29
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
OP: If RM prices seem absurd to you, why would you even consider one???
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 06:47 AM   #30
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2004 View Post
Richard is definitely a cool guy. Met him and his son, Alex at the NYC boutique opening. I hope RM continues to do well in the future but looks like it's definitely slowed drastically right now at least in the secondary market. No one is really buying or selling. Dealers with 40/50 RM watches are holding tight. The tourbillons are not moving at it. I would love to pick up an RM tourb at a right price. We will see what happens in the next 24 months.
a grey in dubai whom i know well has five or six RMs which have not been selling for months. he says that quite a few clients come in wanting to part-exchange their RMs, which they bought in some kind of adrenalin rush. upon wake up they find themselves with a piece of totally overpriced plastic in their hands:::)))
i think the backdrop of the story is that when you take away the hype very little substance remains. that is exactly the difference to PP.