The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2019, 11:54 PM   #1
FWK
"TRF" Member

Help me choose; 116718LN vs AP 15400or

Dear Forum

I’m choosing between a yellowgold Rolex GMT 116718LN (green dial) or a Rosegold AP 15400or (leather strap). The Rolex is used and 10 years old, the AP is mint and 2019. Both watches are around $28K. Both are discontinued and had a listprice in the mid 30Ks.

What you you go for and how do you see these watches holding up their prices? It’s not an investment, but I would like to avoid the watch tanking insanely.

I already own a Rolex Sub but no AP. The AP is currently singing the most to me, but I’ve also been eyeing that GMT for some time. It’s just so beautiful and in your face, but I’m not sure if I would wear it enough. The AP however is a bit more versatile and can be dressed down with a rubber strap.

If I go for the AP I can get a 1 year old one plus a rubber strap for $1800 less. Would you go for that and not care about dings and hairlines?

Thank you
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:00 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I hear you I very nearly went for a 15500or when I bought my DD40 recently. I would prefer the AP here because I know it would get more wrist time from me. Might be able to get a 15500or new from an AD with VAT back for similar money?
Old 4 September 2019, 12:44 AM   #3
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
AP all day, no brainer for me on this one. Especially with the Rolex being 10 years old.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:58 AM   #4
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

I'd go for the AP in this case.
Old 4 September 2019, 01:05 AM   #5
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

This is like asking someone to order your food in a restaurant. Buy the one you like better. They’re both great watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #6
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

AP. If the Rolex was brand new and the difference was a couple grand perhaps another story.
GoingPlaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:26 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In gold get the AP, esp if you have a SS Rolex, perfect pairing.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:27 AM   #8
FWK
"TRF" Member

Just saw the watches and tried them on. The AP wins by a landslide. No doubt now.

Just have to figure out what deal I should go for. The 2019 mint and untouched AP for 28K or the 2018 used with a few small dings and marks on the case and well used croc strap and extra rubber strap (that’s too big for me again) for 25-25,5K.
Old 4 September 2019, 03:28 AM   #9
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
Dear Forum

I’m choosing between a yellowgold Rolex GMT 116718LN (green dial) or a Rosegold AP 15400or (leather strap). The Rolex is used and 10 years old, the AP is mint and 2019. Both watches are around $28K. Both are discontinued and had a listprice in the mid 30Ks.

What you you go for and how do you see these watches holding up their prices? It’s not an investment, but I would like to avoid the watch tanking insanely.

I already own a Rolex Sub but no AP. The AP is currently singing the most to me, but I’ve also been eyeing that GMT for some time. It’s just so beautiful and in your face, but I’m not sure if I would wear it enough. The AP however is a bit more versatile and can be dressed down with a rubber strap.

If I go for the AP I can get a 1 year old one plus a rubber strap for $1800 less. Would you go for that and not care about dings and hairlines?

Thank you

Haha well de can definitely tell which discussion forum this thread was posted under!

Both are beautiful PM pieces, but the Rolex will hold up and perform better financial over the years, no doubt.

If the AP was on a bracelet it would be better, but that reference isn't a price performer is it?

In the end, your love of a piece is more important than its financial performance. I only commented on that point because you asked.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 05:39 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
Just saw the watches and tried them on. The AP wins by a landslide. No doubt now.

Just have to figure out what deal I should go for. The 2019 mint and untouched AP for 28K or the 2018 used with a few small dings and marks on the case and well used croc strap and extra rubber strap (that’s too big for me again) for 25-25,5K.
Is the bracelet version with more saving out of the question? It would be my ideal choice here. If not go pristine, on a PM HH piece this is a must, I bought a used RG ROC and never again, needs to feel super special.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 06:50 AM   #11
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
While you’re thinking, these pics might help you to decide

tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 07:13 AM   #12
FWK
"TRF" Member

WONDERFUL pictures. I’ve decided to go with the mint unworn 15400or.

Does the AP boutiques ship those rubber straps? Because there isn’t a boutique or retailer in my country at all.

I also need to figure out what size of rubber strap I need. The one I tried on the used 15400 was to big. But I noticed that it was also longer than the supplied black croc strap. So I’m thinking it might have been an XL size. Can anyone here confirm that the “standard/medium” rubber strap has the exact same length as the supplied croc strap?