The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2019, 03:20 AM   #1
ufboy73
Banned

How Much Of A Premium?

How much would you say one is likely to lose in selling a mint Nautilus to a Grey vs trying to sell individually?

On prior sales, I’ve just been willing to eat the difference for sake of convenience, security, speed, etc.

With their asking prices on Nautilus models, though (if they are really getting anywhere close to that), I feel like the spread is huge and wondering if I should be trying to sell for the first time on my own.
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 03:25 AM   #2
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
From my limited experience in selling watches, and take this with a grain of salt since difference markets have different dynamics, greys typically take a 10% to 20% cut vs what would be the price to an end-buyer. However, sometimes I still go for this just for the convenience and time saved vs looking for an end buyer.
Old 3 September 2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Greys generally trade between themselves. The price that they give u is generally a discount to what their market is...the guys willing to hold invenwtory are the guys that are better capitalized...not all greys are the same.

Remember the list price in Chrono24 is the ask price...if there are no buyers...you can ask whatever you want to ask. The bid has generally vanished broadly. And that’s why I brought up the issue around Hong Kong and Asia.

The question at some point will be whether we get a fire sale event at the greys

The secondary Market is very much like a private equity market.

Good luck OP in your decision.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Aquaman
Banned

Greys will always low ball you,

So don't take 1st offer, leave it with them, and they will soon get back to you
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:27 AM   #5
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
My advice is to avoid selling to greys. They’ll take 30% margin on your Nautilus. That’s a big chunk. You’re better off selling on a forum to a trusted member in a face to face transaction.

Avoid private classifieds.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 06:17 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd try to sell it here first, preferably to a member well known on the forum.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:29 AM   #7
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
I’ve had great luck with European Watch and a few of the NYC guys on 47th. For hot watches I think they work on 10-15% margin. Hard to complain about that. I’ve found them very fair in all my dealings.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 05:46 PM   #8
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
How much would you say one is likely to lose in selling a mint Nautilus to a Grey vs trying to sell individually?

On prior sales, I’ve just been willing to eat the difference for sake of convenience, security, speed, etc.

With their asking prices on Nautilus models, though (if they are really getting anywhere close to that), I feel like the spread is huge and wondering if I should be trying to sell for the first time on my own.

I think you should try yourself ,if your location is fine then it wouldn’t be a problem,Nautilus still very very hot (as you may aware of it

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 07:05 PM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
I’ve had great luck with European Watch and a few of the NYC guys on 47th. For hot watches I think they work on 10-15% margin. Hard to complain about that. I’ve found them very fair in all my dealings.
+1 for EWC. They beat all of the forum TS on an AP I recently sold to them. Great guys to work with.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 08:59 PM   #10
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
+1 for EWC. They beat all of the forum TS on an AP I recently sold to them. Great guys to work with.
U sent ur watch all the way to Boston? I live near them :). Never been but they bought my buddy’s 3700
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:00 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go with a reputable Grey Market dealer with a solid reputation on the TRF. My experience with higher end watches and trading is that the margins can actually be closer to 5%=10% off what a private sale would be. Minus all of the difficulties with fund transfers and possible complications with shipping or getting ripped off or robbed. Shop the watch and see what each of the dealers will give you. The best deals to be done are on a trade, not a sale and you can close the margins a bit by doing this. DavidSW has always done the best by me on these trades/sales. Call him, he is very reasonable. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:46 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd try to sell it here first, preferably to a member well known on the forum.
Just to expand if you know who you are dealing with, or respect them, then I would feel much better about offering them a very fair price.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 02:47 PM   #13
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

As others have said, you likely will minimize your loss on a trade. The dealer may be willing to take a little more on your trade value to move a piece in his/her inventory.
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 02:20 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
This assumes you can sell it yourself. Unless, you have many references and a history it is hard to sell watches. Plus, you have got to be able to protect yourself from all the bad people out there. Face to face can be dicey at best. You need a return policy and if the watch comes back damaged its a swearing contest where and when the damage occurred. Most likely you eat that loss. Plus, buyers for the most part, have no problem paying large resellers or grays as they are called here, big premiums because they know they have recourse down the road, the watch can be returned with no hassles, the watch has been tested and is working correctly and there is a higher sense that the watch is not "hot". There is also the human factor, people pay the aftermarket prices to resellers because they make a market in watches and have overhead and people to pay. You do not and most people do not like being gouged by an individual. Thus, the private sale price is usually somewhat lower than the gray market price. My experience is I can generally only get what a gray would pay me so why bother with all the hassles of trying to sell it myself.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 02:25 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
U sent ur watch all the way to Boston? I live near them :). Never been but they bought my buddy’s 3700
You need to go there. Great people.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 02:28 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Try selling on your own. I have had pretty good success here with selling on my own and no drama thus far <knock on wood>. Make a good listing with good photos, vet the buyer and make sure he/she is someone you want to do a transaction with at this price point. Wire is the only option and all risk lies on the buyer at that point, you have the watch and the money and they need to trust you. If you are confident you have pictured and described the watch accurately to its true condition, you should not have any issues.

Good luck and if you want to avoid the leg work, call a gray up and move it along. They will have you ship first however and you get paid once they receive the watch and verify its condition.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 02:53 AM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
My watches end up on all corners of the planet! It's my way of marking my territory!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 05:42 AM   #18
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I wouldn’t think a grey would be necessary to move along that watch...especially on TRF to an established member. JAT

P.S. I wouldn’t be shocked if you have received PM’s already.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote