The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 January 2010, 08:08 AM   #271
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
^^
could be worse. It could be China knock off with correct spelling

BTW, I think the letter in located in a place were there is no pic for the ebay bracelet
Maybe, but why would Rolex use letters to designate the date on one bracelet and numbers on another from the same time period. Strange.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 08:12 AM   #272
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

I have no idea, mine has date.. Why would they have spelling errors.. Rolex is strange all they way around. Why does my 5512 have a what appears to be 5513 dial.. I'm still searching though Bob did not seem surprised.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 12:56 PM   #273
whiskyguy
"TRF" Member

One thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Maybe, but why would Rolex use letters to designate the date on one bracelet and numbers on another from the same time period. Strange.
FYI
The C&I is a USA manufactured bracelet while yours is of Swiss origin. I believe that 1976 was the switch over. I have an A code 9315 which was the first use of the letter code
whiskyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 01:28 PM   #274
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyguy View Post
FYI
The C&I is a USA manufactured bracelet while yours is of Swiss origin. I believe that 1976 was the switch over. I have an A code 9315 which was the first use of the letter code
So this bracelet on Ebay has to be a bracelet from later than 1976 if it has a B for the date designation?
Old 27 January 2010, 08:02 AM   #275
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
BTW, I received a call from RUSA tonight at about 7:15pm. They said that my request for a copy of the service agreement/work order from 1995 took some time to find but they would send a copy or type something up for me. It should include all the work that was done in the 95' service. It should be here next week she said.

I never received this copy of my service agreement. I have patiently waited for it to come in the mail but it still hasn't come. Our phone conversation was on December 2nd. I did tell her to take her time after she explained that she was very busy because of the holidays and that she would have to personally type it up. I think I may have been lost in the shuffle. I decided to call her but she wasn't in the office today. I left my information and number. BTW.....this is my 2000th post. Just like my watch.....a 2000
Old 28 January 2010, 02:12 PM   #276
DadsWatch72
Banned

I received a call today from RUSA. She apologized for the delay and said that she would be taking care of the letter soon with some others on her desk. I will be glad to see it in the mail one of these days.
Old 11 February 2010, 01:59 AM   #277
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
My C&I USA says 7-72.. So not sure about the quarter thing..
I wanted to document this date subject for anyone that needs information in the future. I found this one on ebay for sale which is numbered 3/72 so it appears that the first digit is indeed the month. I also wanted to say I received another call from Rolex last night about 9:00 pm. She said that she was typing my letter as we spoke and that today is a snow day but she will mail it out Thursday. It was strange when she said that she couldn't find the information in the computer recently but she had found it back when I had my watch serviced over the past summer so she was going off information that she had printed back then regarding the service in 95. The whole thing has been an ordeal. Anyway, its coming. Here is that picture of the ebay bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BlJBNswBGk~$(KGrHqYH-DoEt!cqyH6LBL,cQrEdd!~~_3.jpg (35.0 KB, 585 views)
Old 11 February 2010, 03:16 AM   #278
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

^^
Suspense, can not wait to see..
Interesting tidbit I was told after being interrogated by Rolex. I enquired about the warranty card. They told me the Job # and name is filled out by they jeweler/store that sends the watch to them, not by them. Sounded odd to me, but that is what they told me. If that is the case, I wonder how they can trace something by the Job #. Very interesting Rolex is. I was wondering why the card was not filled out and they did not seem to care or concerned. I guess the case back tells them all they want to know. Can’t wait to see what you get from her.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 11:57 AM   #279
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
"B" band codes denotes 1977 vintage.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 08:50 PM   #280
jdc
"TRF" Member

Larry has collated info on clasp codes

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=54362
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 07:09 AM   #281
DadsWatch72
Banned

It finally came....... Should I leave it unopened????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1675894380.jpg (17.8 KB, 778 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1675894381.jpg (16.4 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1675894382.jpg (31.1 KB, 775 views)
Old 17 February 2010, 07:21 AM   #282
dockmasterbob

Watch: 6239 PN Daytona
Quote:
It finally came.......
Well...Don't just stand there! OPEN IT!!!
dockmasterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 07:50 AM   #283
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockmasterbob View Post
Well...Don't just stand there! OPEN IT!!!
Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1675894383.jpg (28.8 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1675894384.jpg (26.9 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1675894386.jpg (27.9 KB, 765 views)
Old 27 February 2010, 02:53 PM   #284
DadsWatch72
Banned

Just thought I would post the latest pictures on this thread so they don't get lost in the shuffle. I hope to have a few more of the bracelet as soon as I send it off to Dalton. I know I know, I said I would send it a while back Dalton........I'm working on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture%20005.jpg (37.8 KB, 1096 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20015.jpg (58.6 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20012.jpg (46.4 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20016.jpg (50.8 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20007.jpg (37.2 KB, 741 views)
Old 27 February 2010, 02:54 PM   #285
DadsWatch72
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture%20008.jpg (40.1 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20009.jpg (37.5 KB, 698 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20010.jpg (53.3 KB, 700 views)
Old 27 February 2010, 08:53 PM   #286
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
Nice set...awesome The only piece you lack is the green plastic "swimproof" hangtag...you can pick one up for about $ 500 or spend the money on something else more important to you.

Cheers
Old 28 February 2010, 05:13 AM   #287
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvan View Post
Nice set...awesome The only piece you lack is the green plastic "swimproof" hangtag...you can pick one up for about $ 500 or spend the money on something else more important to you.

Cheers
Thanks Davvan. I think that I would like to buy a watch first. I don't wear this watch anymore and need one to take it's place. I am seriously looking at a Luminox. Pretty nice and bright too.
Old 8 March 2010, 08:55 AM   #288
hcd59
"TRF" Member

What a beauty

What a fantastic story !
hcd59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 02:38 AM   #289
sam.

Watch: Oyster Royal 6246
Quote:
If you could have Rolex service it instead of those people you mentioned, would you? I mean wouldn't Rolex service be better than taking it to someone else? Also, you mentioned a solid band would be better for regular wear. The original band is in really bad shape but I don't think its available anywhere. I don't think I showed it in the pictures I posted but the band has a hole in a link that was put there by Dennis Berry. He said it was for a Saint Christopher pendant who is the patron of safe travelers I think. For safe diving I guess. Should I have someone repair the band and replace that link? I think a few parts might need replacing on the band. Is it worth keeping or should I just get rid of it and replace it with a solid one like you mentioned.
Rolex have very skilled watch repairers,but unfortunately they are all put to work making new watches,thats the real reason they dont fix vintage models.
sam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 07:37 PM   #290
DgmRolexKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Rolex Double Red 1665

Hi! Nice watch if you ever want to consider selling call me at (716) 948-5110.Don.
DgmRolexKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 07:47 PM   #291
DgmRolexKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Rolex Double Red 1665

Hi! Nice watch if ever interested in selling call me (716) 948-5110.Don.
DgmRolexKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 04:17 AM   #292
jekatoc
"TRF" Member

IMHO, I think your Dad is probably thinking 'What is up with that boy? all the advice he has been given by people on the forum and he does not seem to be taking any of it in'
The way I see it is 1: Original bezel and bracelet are available 2: They are available from reliable people and they can be fitted and the watch serviced with care for the continued originality of the watch by these people, all the original parts can be retained and returned to you so that the watch is wearable and you have the original parts for a collector should you decide to sell and not pass it on to your son.
Now stop messing around and get the watch sorted, then you can start enjoying ownership of a masterpiece of mechanical engineering instead of getting yourself worked up. Or sell it and buy a new Deepsea.
Whatever you do, Good Luck and let us know how it pans out
jekatoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 07:15 AM   #293
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgmRolexKing View Post
Hi! Nice watch if ever interested in selling call me (716) 948-5110.Don.
Thanks for the offer. No offense but if I decided to sell, I would give these guys on the forum first crack at the watch. They have all helped me to get the watch where it is today.
Old 28 March 2010, 06:02 PM   #294
Changmaisausage
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Phew what a thread I almost jumped to the last page....

Okay nice watch, too nice to sit in a safe doing nothing!

I dont see the point of keeping it when you dont wear it (only my opinion) like buying a nice car and putting it in storage.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:31 PM   #295
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekatoc View Post
IMHO, I think your Dad is probably thinking 'What is up with that boy? all the advice he has been given by people on the forum and he does not seem to be taking any of it in'
The way I see it is 1: Original bezel and bracelet are available 2: They are available from reliable people and they can be fitted and the watch serviced with care for the continued originality of the watch by these people, all the original parts can be retained and returned to you so that the watch is wearable and you have the original parts for a collector should you decide to sell and not pass it on to your son.
Now stop messing around and get the watch sorted, then you can start enjoying ownership of a masterpiece of mechanical engineering instead of getting yourself worked up. Or sell it and buy a new Deepsea.
Whatever you do, Good Luck and let us know how it pans out
Old 28 March 2010, 11:50 PM   #296
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changmaisausage View Post
Phew what a thread I almost jumped to the last page....

Okay nice watch, too nice to sit in a safe doing nothing!

I dont see the point of keeping it when you dont wear it (only my opinion) like buying a nice car and putting it in storage.
I enjoyed wearing it for 16 years.......now I enjoy keeping it looking brand spanking new. I'm afraid RUSA won't service me again and I like the fact that only Rolex has ever worked on the watch. Yes, there are many good watchmakers out there that could do it justice but I don't like the idea of someone besides Rolex working on the watch. It is already a rare and unique watch besides the fact that it is in such good/mint condition which makes it even more rare among it's own kind. I mean.....how many DRSD's out there are in Mint condition and up to "Rolex service standards" and original? I wouldn't think any more than a handfull in the entire world (a few on this forum but this place is unique). Most are beat up or the dial's/hands are damaged or replaced. I am perfectly content visiting the watch at the bank from time to time now.

"like buying a nice car and putting it in storage"............................................. .I know a guy that has a warehouse full of mint cars that date back to the Fourty's and he is perfectly happy too.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:14 AM   #297
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
I enjoyed wearing it for 16 years.......now I enjoy keeping it looking brand spanking new. I'm afraid RUSA won't service me again and I like the fact that only Rolex has ever worked on the watch. Yes, there are many good watchmakers out there that could do it justice but I don't like the idea of someone besides Rolex working on the watch. It is already a rare and unique watch besides the fact that it is in such good/mint condition which makes it even more rare among it's own kind. I mean.....how many DRSD's out there are in Mint condition and up to "Rolex service standards" and original? I wouldn't think any more than a handfull in the entire world (a few on this forum but this place is unique). Most are beat up or the dial's/hands are damaged or replaced. I am perfectly content visiting the watch at the bank from time to time now.

"like buying a nice car and putting it in storage"............................................. .I know a guy that has a warehouse full of mint cars that date back to the Fourty's and he is perfectly happy too.
X2

A Bently, 1961, comes to mind, all factory fresh, garaged, under a cover, very low miles, all the paperwork, black on black, will be going to auction where the big boys bid, the lady died and the estate is to be sold. That is a piece of history.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2010, 12:42 PM   #298
DadsWatch72
Banned

Latest update. I sent the bracelet off to see if it can be restored. It's gone to California where theres surf and sun........
Old 3 August 2010, 12:58 PM   #299
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Good info there Dad. Thanks.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2010, 03:29 AM   #300
SCA

I just read this entire thread. Great story! Glad to see everything worked out for you. The watch looks absolutely incredible!!
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote