The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2023, 12:31 AM   #301
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The slimmer sub dials and what appears to be thinner bezel make it look more refined to me
I agree.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 12:38 AM   #302
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

There is much Daytona hate and disgust over the last five years from it being unobtainable and so high profile. Now is the time we are seeing them playing both sides of the Daytona coin to start trouble. Little digs and flippant comments to both watches as they aren’t Daytona owners so have nothing invested nor do they really care about either designs so long as they get a rise on social media. This is the new snarky Social Media keyboard commando in owning nothing but having a opinion on everything. Actually owning and having first hand ownership experience on the wrist will be the only data point worth anything. Pictures don’t tell the whole story.

The problem is now Rolex dealers don’t have watches to try on so Rolex shopping has evolved into looking at pics, specs, and other people’s opinions. That might work depending on how much first hand experience you have to begin with but a novice to the brand is lost in a sea of influence and white noise. Other opinions are great providing you know how experienced that opinion really is and not just someone blindly chiming in and saying I like it or I don’t like, blah, blah….

Look at all the watch models people said they hated and then tried it on and fell passionately in love with it.
I was guilty of not liking the Daytona for years even after owning one decades earlier saying it’s too small, etc… To trying one on again older and wiser and falling in love with the fit and feel on the wrist.

My clarity over the last few days of letting everything sink in as a ss Daytona owner has been modified from….”Destroyed” to…..”I don’t think the 12 series design changes made the watch more handsome to my eyes. I prefer the more organic case lines, bolder dial, and full ceramic bezel of the current 11 series Daytona even if I didn’t already own it”. That said I can tell you either model will wear unbelievably comfortable on the wrist.

The only Daytona mistake is the one you didn’t buy yet. (Real world experience talking). The monetary cost to owning a Daytona always seems to increase the longer you wait to buy the one of your dreams.
Old 31 March 2023, 01:15 AM   #303
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
There is much Daytona hate and disgust over the last five years from it being unobtainable and so high profile. Now is the time we are seeing them playing both sides of the Daytona coin to start trouble. Little digs and flippant comments to both watches as they aren’t Daytona owners so have nothing invested nor do they really care about either designs so long as they get a rise on social media. This is the new snarky Social Media keyboard commando in owning nothing but having a opinion on everything. Actually owning and having first hand ownership experience on the wrist will be the only data point worth anything. Pictures don’t tell the whole story.

The problem is now Rolex dealers don’t have watches to try on so Rolex shopping has evolved into looking at pics, specs, and other people’s opinions. That might work depending on how much first hand experience you have to begin with but a novice to the brand is lost in a sea of influence and white noise. Other opinions are great providing you know how experienced that opinion really is and not just someone blindly chiming in and saying I like it or I don’t like, blah, blah….

Look at all the watch models people said they hated and then tried it on and fell passionately in love with it.
I was guilty of not liking the Daytona for years even after owning one decades earlier saying it’s too small, etc… To trying one on again older and wiser and falling in love with the fit and feel on the wrist.

My clarity over the last few days of letting everything sink in as a ss Daytona owner has been modified from….”Destroyed” to…..”I don’t think the 12 series design changes made the watch more handsome to my eyes. I prefer the more organic case lines, bolder dial, and full ceramic bezel of the current 11 series Daytona even if I didn’t already own it”. That said I can tell you either model will wear unbelievably comfortable on the wrist.

The only Daytona mistake is the one you didn’t buy yet. (Real world experience talking). The monetary cost to owning a Daytona always seems to increase the longer you wait to buy the one of your dreams.
While I generally agree with you that some people hate the Daytona out of spite, at the same time I think many 116500 owners are too quick to dismiss the 126500 without actually seeing it in person. I think both have their own pros and cons, but until it’s available side by side for a direct comparison, it’s hard to draw conclusion. I’m sure someone on TRF will eventually have all 4 together - both black and white of each generation. Then we can have a more conclusive discussion. I think the 126500 is an evolution, not a revolution like the 16520. The changes were acceptable generally, but I personally would have wished they kept the bigger sub dial rings of the 116500. The Platona on the other hand was a real disappointment. Those who had the 116506 with diamond baguette dial, they really got something special now.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:21 AM   #304
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
While I generally agree with you that some people hate the Daytona out of spite, at the same time I think many 116500 owners are too quick to dismiss the 126500 without actually seeing it in person. I think both have their own pros and cons, but until it’s available side by side for a direct comparison, it’s hard to draw conclusion. I’m sure someone on TRF will eventually have all 4 together - both black and white of each generation. Then we can have a more conclusive discussion. I think the 126500 is an evolution, not a revolution like the 16520. The changes were acceptable generally, but I personally would have wished they kept the bigger sub dial rings of the 116500. The Platona on the other hand was a real disappointment. Those who had the 116506 with diamond baguette dial, they really got something special now.
You absolutely nailed it, it's such an emotional reaction from the community and current Daytona owners - without even seeing the actual watch in person.

Just give it some time settle in and people will be falling all over for the new 126500. I love my 116500 but I'm quite keen to see the new one.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:21 AM   #305
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREG View Post
i really like it from the front on
but this looks a bit scary..

Agreed. I actually am apprehensive. The original was lovely. I don’t get the outer metal rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:01 AM   #306
DaBoncu2902
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
the market price of the two ss daytona 116500 says it all. the panda price jump instantly over 15%, while the black one almost remains unchanged after the 126500 announced.
I think its too early to say that 116500 price will be permanently jumped. As many dealer probably will try their best to sell the "discontinue" word to get more profit.

Only time will tell which series has more love from rolex fans. But as a 116500 owner, I would love to see that 116500 will be having higher value than 126500. Based on the history, not much of older modern rolex series that has higher value than newer one (im not talking about vintage). As far as I remember only 116610lv has succeed to has more love over 126610lv.
DaBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:41 AM   #307
Beto737
"TRF" Member

I love all Daytonas! I own a 116520 and a 116500LN.

And, along with a lot of others, I’ll be trying to sell my first born to get a copy of the 126500!

What’s not to like?
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:43 AM   #308
DaBoncu2902
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto737 View Post

And, along with a lot of others, I’ll be trying to sell my first born to get a copy of the 126500!

What’s not to like?
I think 116500 and 126500 is too similar. You shold choose between those 2
Old 31 March 2023, 02:49 AM   #309
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
New Rolex daytona panda 126500LN vs 116500LN

They should have used the opportunity to change the hash marks to match the 4 Hz beat rate. 1/5 second markings is weird.

| ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' |
Old 31 March 2023, 03:13 AM   #310
DaBoncu2902
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
They should have used the opportunity to change the hash marks to match the 4 Hz beat rate. 1/5 second markings is weird.

| ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' | ' ' ' |
Such a detail.. i dont think many people will be disturbed with such a small matter
Old 31 March 2023, 04:52 AM   #311
rcwatchcollector
Banned

I will take any SS Daytona offered to me from AD at retail. I don't care what reference. If Rolex put a green aluminum tachometer bezel I would buy it. if it was yellow. I would buy it. If it was pink I would buy it. I am that much invested in Daytonas. has been my grail watch. every version from 16520 on.
rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:00 AM   #312
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatchcollector View Post
I will take any SS Daytona offered to me from AD at retail. I don't care what reference. If Rolex put a green aluminum tachometer bezel I would buy it. if it was yellow. I would buy it. If it was pink I would buy it. I am that much invested in Daytonas. has been my grail watch. every version from 16520 on.
I could not have expressed this better! I feel exactly the same way.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:02 AM   #313
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
The only Daytona mistake is the one you didn’t buy yet, can’t agreed more @ Mystro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:21 AM   #314
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
There's a degree if over simplification there.

I wore a 6239 for 13 years. Lusted after a 116520 but couldn't afford or even have the opportunity to buy.

Tried on a 116515 when i could afford to buy, loved it and bought one.

Tried on 116500s. Black and white. Lovely watch but the asymmetry just put me off. Had a real opportunity to get one via my AD before the secondary market prices were bonkers high but declined. I'd only have bought to sell on and thats not what I do.

The SS/TT/YG Oyster and the WG/RG/PT/YG OF felt like two district lines to me. Not a fan of the former. Big fan of the latter. To the point that i recently acquired my grail 116509.

Not all Daytonas are created equal to all people

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:48 AM   #315
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I was warming up to the look until I saw this pic. Hate the bulky look. Subtona lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Agreed. I actually am apprehensive. The original was lovely. I don’t get the outer metal rim.

richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:46 AM   #316
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto737 View Post

What’s not to like?

I agree!

I celebrate the entire Daytona catalog like I do Michael Bolton

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:14 AM   #317
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
There is no hesitation to have, how an evolution can be worse than the previous one ?? Just intellectual jerk or self-consolation of the owners of the 116500...
I'm part of it but delighted with this new 126500, which I'm already on the list for.

Coud be the effect of novelty too...
In no time 95% of people will find the old version too beefy !

Objectively it is better proportioned, more readable, it is somewhat reminiscent of the 16520 which also had thinner sub-counters and indexes, while being more modern, without forgetting the latest caliber.
Perfection and the Dayto icon continues its story
How could it not be better cuz it’s newer, references 2 models old version as better than 1 older? Logical…
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:08 PM   #318
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I was warming up to the look until I saw this pic. Hate the bulky look. Subtona lol.

Interesting how tastes can vary so much. I saw that pic and think it is the most stunning pic of the watch I’ve seen yet.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:51 PM   #319
perf0rmance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Interesting how tastes can vary so much. I saw that pic and think it is the most stunning pic of the watch I’ve seen yet.

It’s much more subjective than people realize. There’s quite a decent list of things to compare that can make more or less attractive to a potential owner. I’ll agree with most people that I’d like to reserve judgment until we can get a solid review of both REFs compared next to each other.
perf0rmance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:05 PM   #320
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Both of them look fine. But having both 16520 and 116520, I could never justify the 116500. But the 126500 is different enough to think it's a different watch so I can justify getting one If only they released it with a jubilee...
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:37 PM   #321
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Definitely a "new look".20230331_083607.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:43 PM   #322
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Definitely a "new look".Attachment 1357726

Good side by side.
I am waiting for a real world caliper comparison but the 12 series looks thicker from the metal bezel base to the top of the crystal. Is this one a lot taller from the case top up or is it a illusion?

By these pics it is crystal clear now the 12 series is a metal bezel with just a thin ceramic insert. It’s very clear Rolex has now made this bezel design to follow all the other models like the Sub or GMT in its manufacturing. What I still can’t tell yet is the thin ceramic insert protected with the metal rolling up over the edges like the Sub and GMT or is it just sitting on top of the metal ring exposing the square edge of the ceramic insert??
The reason the 11 series Daytona full ceramic bezel edge doesn’t chip is because it’s so thick.
If the 12 series significantly thinner ceramic insert is not protected by a rolled up metal edge, then there is a real potential for chips to occurs with minor bumps in daily activities.

The 11 series is a ceramic bezel Daytona and may be the most shorthand way of speaking about the two different models together. The “Ceramic Bezel Daytona” =‘s the 11 series Daytona.
Old 31 March 2023, 10:43 PM   #323
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Definitely a "new look".Attachment 1357726

Saw this as well. The new reference appears bulkier.

travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:50 PM   #324
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Good side by side.
I am waiting for a real world caliper comparison but the 12 series looks thicker from the metal bezel base to the top of the crystal. Is this one a lot taller from the case top up or is it a illusion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Saw this as well. The new reference appears bulkier.

It’s hard to tell, but I agree … in this view, the new gen looks bulkier.

To my eye the entire profile from the bezel to the top of the crystal appears to flow (if you catch my drift) slightly less on the new model as well.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:56 PM   #325
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Looks like it's the same case as the PM models from last gen?
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:03 PM   #326
speedbird
"TRF" Member

Maxi case Daytona!
The old model was very elegant but did not suit very large wrists. This new one I would love to try to see if they have managed to retain the elegance. If they have done that as well as made it suit larger wrists then well done Rolex.
speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:05 PM   #327
rolexgs
Banned

now the new panda daytona will look almost identical to the WG OF daytona, except the dial and bracelet parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watcheswonders.jpg (32.4 KB, 536 views)
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:34 PM   #328
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
Maxi case Daytona!
The old model was very elegant but did not suit very large wrists. This new one I would love to try to see if they have managed to retain the elegance. If they have done that as well as made it suit larger wrists then well done Rolex.

11 series is 38mm the new one is 40mm.

https://youtu.be/XCoA9r180jk

Old 1 April 2023, 12:09 AM   #329
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Hodinkee says the new one is thinner at 11.9mm. But as usual with the Dink, conveniently left out a few key elements that will paint the Daytona in a negative manner. *cough* case shape *cough*

Wrist shot comparison for the black dial daytona:
*126500LN picture from Hodinkee

Daytona 126500LN.jpg Daytona 116500LN.jpg
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 12:22 AM   #330
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
the market price of the two ss daytona 116500 says it all. the panda price jump instantly over 15%, while the black one almost remains unchanged after the 126500 announced.
This is inaccurate. The asking prices of black 116500s are way up since the announcement of the 126500, percentage-wise more than the white versions.

The vast majority of black 116500s are now well over $30K on major sites, as opposed to mid-to-high $20Ks, which was the norm over the past few months.

Whether or not the prices stay there, or keep climbing, remains to be seen.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote