The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2016, 02:03 AM   #301
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Lange produces about 6,000 watches per yr. and PP produces about 30,000 mechanicals per yr. ..IMO, Lange is finished at a higher level for the same amount spent vs a PP.
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 02:18 AM   #302
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
Lange produces about 6,000 watches per yr. and PP produces about 30,000 mechanicals per yr. ..IMO, Lange is finished at a higher level for the same amount spent vs a PP.
And FPJ produces 850 so using your logic will better than ALS and PP
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 02:20 AM   #303
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephashburnnn View Post
Resale value of a watch/brand is not set by the people in this forum. A brand will only have strong resale when it is recognised and perceived by everybody as very prestigious, wanted by everybody, tom dick and harry. AL&S and FPJ ain't such a brand.
My apology....when I last checked I was a consumer and my behaviour and people with similar behaviours determine resale values!
Old 13 July 2016, 02:29 AM   #304
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I kind of think ALS is also a one model brand. The Datograph is a forum favourite and the AC and PC in the Saxonia range you can't give away!!! So we have a brand that everyone e says has the finest finish and yet the worse resale! The resale is set by people like ourselves who buy preened do we obviously aren't talking with our wallets. I would like an ALS at some stage but still feel it's like a hockey puck on the arm and lacks some of the finesse of a PP. I would like a FPJ PC before Pp and ALS but also can't quite get my mind to accept the huge drop in value once it leaves the AD! PP gives some comfort in that regards
I think PP and Lange PC/AC sell for approx the same price (within 5 yrs old watches) in the pre-owned market. There are a lot more PP PC/AC for sale in the pre-owned market compared to Lange.
Old 13 July 2016, 02:33 AM   #305
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And FPJ produces 850 so using your logic will better than ALS and PP
But FPJ is an independent watchmaker?
Old 13 July 2016, 02:33 AM   #306
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
I think PP and Lange PC/AC sell for approx the same price (within 5 yrs old watches) in the pre-owned market. There are a lot more PP PC/AC for sale in the pre-owned market compared to Lange.
I think with a bit of research you will find that ALS has a significantly worse pre owned value and that is taken as a given!
Old 13 July 2016, 04:19 AM   #307
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Those numbers are way off — 10K and 60K respectively, although I'd been informed Patek was nearer 80K.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 04:31 AM   #308
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Those numbers are way off — 10K and 60K respectively, although I'd been informed Patek was nearer 80K.
Not true , most estimate are closer to 6,000-6,500 pieces for Lange and 30-32K pieces for PP mechanicals not including quartz watches.
Old 13 July 2016, 04:38 AM   #309
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think with a bit of research you will find that ALS has a significantly worse pre owned value and that is taken as a given!
You can buy a nice pre-owned 5146 AC for < $29K but not a pre-owned Lange AC
Old 13 July 2016, 04:55 AM   #310
martinr
"TRF" Member

Karl, you're wasting your time with this guy, he's going to say the opposite of what everyone knows is a fact, Patek resale value is much better than ALS. Who knows why he's even in the Patek sub forum.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 06:42 AM   #311
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
You can buy a nice pre-owned 5146 AC for < $29K but not a pre-owned Lange AC
Does the PP 5270 sell pre owned for 55-65% of it's price? Because the Lange Datograph perpetual, which I love, sure does, everyone knows that PP keeps much better value than Lange on the average, if you don't know that look online, Chrono 24 is a good place to start...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 08:28 AM   #312
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Not true , most estimate are closer to 6,000-6,500 pieces for Lange and 30-32K pieces for PP mechanicals not including quartz watches.
Missed the mechanical part of your comment.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 11:17 AM   #313
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Karl, you're wasting your time with this guy, he's going to say the opposite of what everyone knows is a fact, Patek resale value is much better than ALS. Who knows why he's even in the Patek sub forum.
Will have to agree with you and I just can't face going through a whole story on what the actual production numbers are at PP and sherher Thierry is lying through his teeth or not. If I had a dollar for every time this was raised, whether ALS had better finishing that PP or is a watchwinder bad for your watch, or whether PP QC are crap...I would have bought a 5207 by now!
Old 13 July 2016, 09:55 PM   #314
Maltie
"TRF" Member

ALS Dato

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
Philippe Dufour finishing is the best IMO
And Philippe has a A. Lange & Söhne Datograph, do I need to say more.....
Maltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 09:59 PM   #315
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltie View Post
And Philippe has a A. Lange & Söhne Datograph, do I need to say more.....
Sigh ....and Roger Smith wears an Omega and Dufour bought his over 10 years ago and says the current ALS is over stylised....do we really have to go down this route every time?
Old 13 July 2016, 10:27 PM   #316
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Sigh ....and Roger Smith wears an Omega and Dufour bought his over 10 years ago and says the current ALS is over stylised....do we really have to go down this route every time?
At SalonQP in 2015 Roger Smith was wearing an Explorer I.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 10:38 PM   #317
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Good...that makes 2 non ALS watches that he doesn't own!!
Old 13 July 2016, 11:28 PM   #318
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Interesting debate between Patek and Lange. I have both in my collection but I can tell you from experience that it is harder to sell a Lange on the secondary market. Lange also takes a bigger hit compared to Patek.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 11:49 PM   #319
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Is there a brand that you think is superior to Patek Philippe?

When big money is expended in a watch I feel much better if I know that the brand has the biggest demand with as little loss as possible. Because even if you buy at the right price , I still need to know that the brand is highly desirable.

Now if money is not a concern (because u have lots and don't care of potential losses) you can have the luxury to dgaf of how the brand is perceived and just spend freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 11:53 PM   #320
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Indeed, he's had some nice things to say about that watch.

Since we're on the topic, that Omega of his is a 1967 model with a lovely cal. 321 Lemania movement. I don't know any watchmakers who wear modern Omega by choice. :)
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 11:57 PM   #321
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Superior can be in different aspects

Movement finishing - Independents/ FPJ/ALS/ others are superior to PP
Value for money in horology - JLC is superior to PP
Value retention and collectability - Patek is superior to others
Daily wear and serviceability - Rolex is superior PP
This about sums it up for me.
Old 14 July 2016, 12:10 AM   #322
Samui
Banned

Quote:
What does he mean by over stylised?
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 12:21 AM   #323
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I'll agree that dial is a mess. Sad, because they had achieved perfection with the 3940, but that was a different era. The transition from Henri to Philippe to Thierry (or is it his wife?), has been an interesting journey.

Nothing in the current catalogue warrants my consideration, but I still think that PP remains the top of the horological food chain, if for no other reason than its well earned reputation. I do think that if quality control doesn't improve and if service times don't become substantially less and in keeping with other haute manufactures, then the future remains uncertain - regardless of flawed dial designs.
That's an important point about reputation. Their thoroughly top-grade products and practices of earlier decades earned it, but it still has to be maintained; it's not an infinite resource.

At this price level, it's reasonable to expect a thoroughly no-excuses product, from the design standard to the quality to the service. Although Patek Philippe has certainly done very well from undiscerning new money in the industry, collectors and long-term clients are noticing weaknesses in all three areas. The poor dial work is merely the most obvious symptom of general complacency. The aggressive price and production hikes seem rather greedy in this context.

Perceptions change. Patek does a lot to ensure impressive auction prices on their genuinely-desirable historical watches, but I don't think it will be sustainable with current models. In general, they don't have the same attention to detail, and are somewhat charmless as a result.

If their auction-value bubble bursts, the implicit message in the manipulative "You never truly own a Patek..." (i.e. "Don't stress about blowing the kids' inheritance on this") thing stops working.

Ignoring problems will inevitably erode their position and their reputation; they would be wise to pay attention to the concerns that knowledgable buyers are starting to raise. It's in their own long-term interest as well as owners'.
Old 14 July 2016, 12:55 AM   #324
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
What does he mean by over stylised?
He believes everything on a watch should be there for a reason and "less is more" ..hence his simplicity range
I think he was commenting on the Dato perpetual tour billion but I will have to find the interview... When he bought his Dato it was exciting, I don't think PP even had an I house movement then
Old 14 July 2016, 01:10 AM   #325
belligero
Banned

Quote:
I kind of think ALS is also a one model brand. The Datograph is a forum favourite and the AC and PC in the Saxonia range you can't give away!!! So we have a brand that everyone e says has the finest finish and yet the worse resale! The resale is set by people like ourselves who buy preened do we obviously aren't talking with our wallets. I would like an ALS at some stage but still feel it's like a hockey puck on the arm and lacks some of the finesse of a PP. I would like a FPJ PC before Pp and ALS but also can't quite get my mind to accept the huge drop in value once it leaves the AD! PP gives some comfort in that regards
It's an interesting discussion with some good points here.

However, I'm not sure whether it's a fair criticism to characterize Lange's watches as hockey pucks. Their Datograph certainly isn't the slimmest, but it also has complications that aren't typical of a classic chronograph. If you compare like for like, their simpler 1815 chrono is actually slimmer than Patek's equivalent — the 5170.

Likewise, the famous Lange 1 has a substantial case, and no doubt intentionally so, as it's not meant to be a traditional dress watch. But they also produce an ultra-thin version of the Saxonia, which achieves 5.9 mm without compromising any of their distinctive movement features.

I suspect that current Lange secondary-market pricing may seem like a bargain in the future; they seem to offer a lot of no-excuses watchmaking for the money. I'd be more comfortable buying modern Lange than modern Patek these days, and I'm saying that despite having a strong preference for independent companies and not at all being a fan of the Richemont group.
Old 14 July 2016, 01:20 AM   #326
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
It's an interesting discussion with some good points here.

However, I'm not sure whether it's a fair criticism to characterize Lange's watches as hockey pucks. Their Datograph certainly isn't the slimmest, but it also has complications that aren't typical of a classic chronograph. If you compare like for like, their simpler 1815 chrono is actually slimmer than Patek's equivalent — the 5170.

Likewise, the famous Lange 1 has a substantial case, and no doubt intentionally so, as it's not meant to be a traditional dress watch. But they also produce an ultra-thin version of the Saxonia, which achieves 5.9 mm without compromising any of their distinctive movement features.

I suspect that current Lange secondary-market pricing may seem like a bargain in the future; they seem to offer a lot of no-excuses watchmaking for the money. I'd be more comfortable buying modern Lange than modern Patek these days, and I'm saying that despite having a strong preference for independent companies and not at all being a fan of the Richemont group.
Sure and if you read most people reasons for selling their ALS it's not the finish, timekeeping or anything else but mainly the thickness! I think you will find thus in this forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 14 July 2016, 01:31 AM   #327
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Sure and if you read most people reasons for selling their ALS it's not the finish, timekeeping or anything else but mainly the thickness! I think you will find thus in this forum
Sure, but that's one of their most complicated models. I don't think anyone reasonably expects a perpetual-calendar chronograph with moonphase, big date and power reserve indicator to be particularly thin, anyway.

Besides, though they don't offer a direct eqivalent, Patek's complicated 5204P is thicker yet by nearly a full millimeter.
Old 14 July 2016, 01:50 AM   #328
martinr
"TRF" Member

How is resale on the Richard Lange jumping seconds limited edition? That's my favorite Lange and retail isn't outrageous for what it is. Only 100 pieces. I think that watch and a Patek 5905P would be the perfect pair, those two and a Rolex SS Sub would be all I would ever need. (famous last words haha)
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 02:02 AM   #329
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Make your more expensive pieces Patek , the cheaper ones Rolex and fill the gap in between them with whatever you want.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 02:14 AM   #330
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
How is resale on the Richard Lange jumping seconds limited edition? That's my favorite Lange and retail isn't outrageous for what it is. Only 100 pieces. I think that watch and a Patek 5905P would be the perfect pair, those two and a Rolex SS Sub would be all I would ever need. (famous last words haha)
Martin, I think we both know that ALS is very aggressively priced for what you get. I mean compare Dato up/down to 5170 or Dato perpetual to a 5270. Aesthetically to me the PP wins but bang for buck is ALS. I would buy PP new but sure wouldn't touch an ALS new!! Pre owned only...and that's if I could actually read the dial on the perpetual as you would have seen in some of my other posts! I think PP owners show that we are receptive to ALS as an alternative and recognise many of the good points but most ALS owners are "die hards"

Sure some PP don't have great value (6000) but you still buy with some safety. ALS you just know you going to get a hiding!!