The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15 October 2017, 07:09 AM   #301
Greenp
"TRF" Member

I wonder how much longer before this thread is deleted.
Old 15 October 2017, 07:11 AM   #302
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
This thread is epic. You can't buy publicity like this !
^^^ Agree.

Well Govberg, was it worth it?
Old 15 October 2017, 07:12 AM   #303
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenp View Post
I wonder how much longer before this thread is deleted.
Seeing it’s been a few pages since GB was caught watching it, I’m guessing never. They probably reached out yesterday and my guess is they were told no or ignored.
Old 15 October 2017, 07:24 AM   #304
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Market/price manipulation by G*g? Many members have said that they have prices much higher than other sellers. I wonder if they are pricing watches so high because they hope that other sellers will also raise their prices.
I have noticed one seller here that raised theirs directly after GB posted a watch. It could have been coincidence but if I was a grey dealer and saw someone over price theirs while mine was under priced with room to raise the price closer to that of the GB price then I would do it too. I think the member priced it like $2000 lower than GB but had raised the price none the less. All of them pretty much shot up over a very short period of time so most of the grey dealers reacted in unison which is normal. GB just happened to be the first to list theirs as high as they did in the USA, that's a fact. I even said something to them about it and they replied make an offer lol.
Old 15 October 2017, 08:11 AM   #305
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Martin, what I was trying to say is that the in demand pieces are sold before they're delivered anyway so why sit on one with the possibility of sitting on one to make a few more bucks? If this was a small AD trying to make extra money, I can see it but not one of the largest ADs, it just doesn't make sense. We all know the mark up on Pateks so I see no point to hold out when you already sell more watches in a day than most places do in a week.
Exactly, if a big and profitable company like this even resorts to these base and shady tactics then the whole damn system is rotten.

Time for PP to follow AP's lead and give the popular hyped models to their boutiques only, and give the ADs the rest.

We should all link this thread to PP now. We are the biggest luxury watch forum in the world and second biggest overall.
Old 15 October 2017, 08:14 AM   #306
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Exactly, if a big and profitable company like this even resorts to these base and shady tactics then the whole damn system is rotten.

Time for PP to follow AP's lead and give only the popular hyped models to their boutiques only, and give the ADs the rest.

We should all link this thread to PP now. We are the biggest luxury watch forum in the world and second biggest overall.
How about online applications through the website, list AD you would like to take delivery. AD serves as middleman only but has no say in allocation of limited pieces. Patek gets applications from consumer directly.
Old 15 October 2017, 08:15 AM   #307
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Market/price manipulation by G*g? Many members have said that they have prices much higher than other sellers. I wonder if they are pricing watches so high because they hope that other sellers will also raise their prices.
Yes, this is happening more often and is part of the wave of rising prices. We see it here in UK with the biggest used dealer Watchfinder, who are huge now, who corner the market in certain models and as they are the biggest and most trusted seller they do actually sell to lazy City types at exhorbitant prices as they think their's is the market price, and so other dealers see these selling and raise their prices too.

The difference is at least these are used dealers so they are at least paying retail or a small premium to acquire the watches, but having an AD buying at cost and then doing this directly is just so wrong. They are making double, even triple the profit that PP are making, makes PP look like mugs quite frankly.
Old 15 October 2017, 08:34 AM   #308
KarlS
Banned

We need that 5131 story again...that was a beaut. The one they proudly gave a customer until he was told in TRF it had been duscontinued months before!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=530967
Old 15 October 2017, 08:36 AM   #309
KarlS
Banned

Let's put the original post on our Instagram accounts to really reach out

Enjoy and weep. Caught out again!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=530967
Old 15 October 2017, 08:38 AM   #310
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nor would you want to

Would not surprise me if their lawyer is going to be contacting steve soon.

I doubt it. Truth is the ultimate defense in defamation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2017, 08:47 AM   #311
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nor would you want to

Would not surprise me if their lawyer is going to be contacting steve soon.
I'm more than willing to bet there are a few lawyers on this thread, possibly willing to defend Steve pro bono if Govberg were to send him a stink-o-gram (too bad I'm located in Canada, otherwise I'd gladly do it.)
Old 15 October 2017, 09:00 AM   #312
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
I have noticed one seller here that raised theirs directly after GB posted a watch. It could have been coincidence but if I was a grey dealer and saw someone over price theirs while mine was under priced with room to raise the price closer to that of the GB price then I would do it too. I think the member priced it like $2000 lower than GB but had raised the price none the less. All of them pretty much shot up over a very short period of time so most of the grey dealers reacted in unison which is normal. GB just happened to be the first to list theirs as high as they did in the USA, that's a fact. I even said something to them about it and they replied make an offer lol.
Gougeberg was selling a used 15202 for $26K, which is over list. It didn't sell, so they raised the price to $27K.

As the AP Jumbo is becoming harder to find these days, I too, would not be surprised if Gougeberg is also going to backdoor these pieces.
Old 15 October 2017, 09:41 AM   #313
de66
"TRF" Member

Mike your post was on point and classy. I think the fact that you didnt barge in and divulge any names kept the focus of the post on the AD misbehavior that we know of, heard of and simply need to see more evidence of if we want to stamp it out.
Consumers unite!

Many things have been pointed out and well discussed.

I also have heard that models like the 5522 were in part also meant to attract new clients, to reward existing clients and to give some of us with lower budgets a chance to also get some special collector items. But I have yet to see evidence that these models have gone to first time Patek buyers who havent already spent "30k on jewellry" or made a substantial prior business with ADs.

A small collector but longtime watch lover has no realistic chance to get something like 5650 or even a 5522.

With LE Patek has to give the final approval and guess what: allocations do not go to guys like you and me Mike, guys who save up and want keep what they collected to build up a nice variety.

Thierry mentioned it himself, talking about their target audience: Patek is most interested in the discerning gentleman collector who buys at least one watch per year.

A good relationship with a small AD does not always help.
A very good friend of mine, patek AD, was basically told there was no way for me to be considered for the 5650. I estimate that over the past 18 months my friend has been able to sell approximately 8 Pateks as a result of my referrals. I am happy for him and happy for the guys who got fabulous pieces, but despite my friend mentioning this to his main contact within Patek.... Nothing could be done.
I have no problems with my friend, but it sucks from my perspective not to be able to ever get any "affordable" LE Patek.

What happened in your case Mike.... Inexcusable. Send your business else where. Think carefully if its worth it spending anything on ADs like this
Old 15 October 2017, 09:45 AM   #314
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Mike your post was on point and classy. I think the fact that you didnt barge in and divulge any names kept the focus of the post on the AD misbehavior that we know of, heard of and simply need to see more evidence of if we want to stamp it out.
Consumers unite!

Many things have been pointed out and well discussed.

I also have heard that models like the 5522 were in part also meant to attract new clients, to reward existing clients and to give some of us with lower budgets a chance to also get some special collector items. But I have yet to see evidence that these models have gone to first time Patek buyers who havent already spent "30k on jewellry" or made a substantial prior business with ADs.

A small collector but longtime watch lover has no realistic chance to get something like 5650 or even a 5522.

With LE Patek has to give the final approval and guess what: allocations do not go to guys like you and me Mike, guys who save up and want keep what they collected to build up a nice variety.

Thierry mentioned it himself, talking about their target audience: Patek is most interested in the discerning gentleman collector who buys at least one watch per year.

A good relationship with a small AD does not always help.
A very good friend of mine, patek AD, was basically told there was no way for me to be considered for the 5650. I estimate that over the past 18 months my friend has been able to sell approximately 8 Pateks as a result of my referrals. I am happy for him and happy for the guys who got fabulous pieces, but despite my friend mentioning this to his main contact within Patek.... Nothing could be done.
I have no problems with my friend, but it sucks from my perspective not to be able to ever get any "affordable" LE Patek.

What happened in your case Mike.... Inexcusable. Send your business else where. Think carefully if its worth it spending anything on ADs like this
Well put D. With the latest that’s happened to Mike it’s really becoming more and more of a turnoff to the brand that is trying to reel in a different demographic than they’ve always gone after.
Old 15 October 2017, 09:52 AM   #315
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I'm more than willing to bet there are a few lawyers on this thread, possibly willing to defend Steve pro bono if Govberg were to send him a stink-o-gram (too bad I'm located in Canada, otherwise I'd gladly do it.)

I wasn’t thinking they would go through the trouble of an international legal battle. I was thinking they would petition him to remove the thread by threatening it. If I recall Steve himself may be an attorney lol I really don’t remember to be honest nor do I know him.
Old 15 October 2017, 10:13 AM   #316
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I am not a huge Patek collector in fact I'd say I'm a beginner I only have 7. I have bought a ton of watches and jewelry from my AD though.
Old 15 October 2017, 04:47 PM   #317
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I can say all the double sealed "used" PP's are now showing out of stock. The 5524g is also now showing out of stock, so either they sold a ton of watches in the last two days or they are removing them. They were not showing that way when this thread started as the prices were visible that i was comparing to RRP.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 October 2017, 04:51 PM   #318
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I can say all the double sealed "used" PP's are now showing out of stock. The 5524g is also now showing out of stock, so either they sold a ton of watches in the last two days or they are removing them. They were not showing that way when this thread started as the prices were visible that i was comparing to RRP.
Kudos to Patek for actually dropping the hammer
Old 15 October 2017, 04:53 PM   #319
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Kudos to Patek for actually dropping the hammer
or govberg removing evidence... either could be the case.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 October 2017, 04:56 PM   #320
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
I wonder why that’s happened....
Old 15 October 2017, 04:59 PM   #321
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
I wonder why that’s happened....
it doesn't give the impression that everything was above board for sure. All it does at this point is further strengthen the initial assessment of so many here.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:02 PM   #322
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
or govberg removing evidence... either could be the case.
Sadly they can still sell the watches at a premium. When so many people are already calling and inquiring about specific pieces, a listing isn't necessary

However, I will say that Govberg has some really good people working there. Even at age 19, one of their salesmen encouraged me to try on a white dial 5726 and said he hoped I'd come back one day and buy one. I have bought Rolex from their Walnut Street location and had an overall good experience.

Unfortunately this thread and their actions with hard-to-find PPs has undermined some of these excellent sales associates.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:02 PM   #323
martinr
"TRF" Member

The sealed stuff and 5524 being removed prove we were correct. They're worried about or have already received a warning from Patek. Either that or they want to make us look like we've made a bunch of baseless accusations.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:09 PM   #324
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
One of the AP 15202 is also showing OoS right now.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:11 PM   #325
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
it doesn't give the impression that everything was above board for sure. All it does at this point is further strengthen the initial assessment of so many here.
Totally!

There is one thing a grey gauging prices etc

But an AD bypassing the clientele it was authorised to supply to by the manufactures so it can back door the pieces to sell as a grey is carping on its own door step in my opinion and shouldn’t have the AD badge over its door....

Would love to put a direct link or some form of it on all the manufacturers social media outlets to see their response
Old 15 October 2017, 05:19 PM   #326
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
One of the AP 15202 is also showing OoS right now.
It has been showing that way, the other one i linked last night is still there as is the hulk, BLNR, Daytona C. It seems PP specific at this point.
Old 15 October 2017, 08:10 PM   #327
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
It has been showing that way, the other one i linked last night is still there as is the hulk, BLNR, Daytona C. It seems PP specific at this point.
Wonder why only PP
There are things miney just can't buy, the publicity from this thread is one of them, kind of guessing they'll think twice before promising something to a good client and then try to screw him over after this, they'll probably continue their shady practices, but more discreetly
Old 15 October 2017, 08:12 PM   #328
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Shame they have not replied to err...explain things
Old 15 October 2017, 10:05 PM   #329
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Haha, would you want to - it’s a car crash!
More like a train wreck!
Old 15 October 2017, 10:18 PM   #330
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well that says it all. They have been publicly named and shamed and offered no defence, and are now in full retreat. Exposing the exploiters is always the way to go. Well done, TRF.
Closed Thread