The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 May 2022, 11:33 PM   #301
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

I do appreciate the 5 digit subs, just the lack of a ceramic bezel disqualifies them as daily’s for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2022, 11:36 PM   #302
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
Nice 5513!
Thanks very much, I spent a long time looking for it.

It's my favourite Rolex, and my third-favourite watch overall in the small collection I have, the runner-up being a Nautilus 5712, and Top Dog being my Journe Octa RDM, but these two are in a different class altogether.

I used to have a platinum Day-Date, but sold it as I found it a bit too blingy.
Old 15 May 2022, 11:38 PM   #303
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I'll ask her next time I see her.

I think your Sub looks a little too large for you, the lugs are overhanging, but it's all a matter of personal taste. You're entitled to any opinion you like, of course, and other people are entitled to agree or disagree, that's how forums like this generally work.

I’ve contemplated this forever, sometimes I think the 11’s look a bit big but then I wear the Sea Dweller and that feels small. And of course we can agree and disagree, that’s what this forum is about. I sometimes use strong words, that seems to trigger people. I don’t like the OP, let’s leave it there. Didn’t mean to offend any owners and others who appreciate its simplicity and history. :)

Old 15 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #304
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaitan View Post

I do appreciate the 5 digit subs, just the lack of a ceramic bezel disqualifies them as daily’s for me.
That's a proper SD, very nice too.
Old 15 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #305
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

It's happening....

Quote:
Thanks very much, I spent a long time looking for it.

It's my favourite Rolex, and my third-favourite watch overall in the small collection I have, the runner-up being a Nautilus 5712, and Top Dog being my Journe Octa RDM, but these two are in a different class altogether.

I used to have a platinum Day-Date, but sold it as I found it a bit too blingy.

Is it a complete set, what did you pay for it? What year? Sorry for the questions, I’m looking for one from 1980 and no luck so far

Old 15 May 2022, 11:46 PM   #306
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

It's happening....

And Charlize was wearing this apparently, some posts say she wore a Deepsea. I can’t tell, who can?

After zooming in a few pics, the bezel looks like the double red’s. Makes more sense, she would wear something special not some generic 116660
Old 15 May 2022, 11:50 PM   #307
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it a complete set, what did you pay for it? What year? Sorry for the questions, I’m looking for one from 1980 and no luck so far
Sadly, it's watch only. 1978 Maxi Mk1 tritium dial - my favourite from the myriad different dials available and the last one ever to have the depth rating written above SUBMARINER on the dial.

I overpaid to the tune of £5000 ten years ago from a well-known, and over-expensive Mayfair dealer, but I think they might have gone up a bit...
Old 15 May 2022, 11:54 PM   #308
rolex16
Banned

Quote:

Another beauty! I prefer aluminum bezel inserts to ceramic for various reasons.
Old 15 May 2022, 11:56 PM   #309
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sadly, it's watch only. 1978 Maxi Mk1 tritium dial - my favourite from the myriad different dials available and the last one ever to have the depth rating written above SUBMARINER on the dial.

I overpaid to the tune of £5000 ten years ago from a well-known, and over-expensive Mayfair dealer, but I think they might have gone up a bit...

Yeah it will be tough to find a mint,complete 1980 year of this watch. And I think I know where you bought it, the guy in the Burlington arcade with the insane vintage Rolex stock? Walked past it a couple weeks ago with my grey and he said don’t bother the prices are silly

Old 15 May 2022, 11:57 PM   #310
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, and actually I don't like any of the ceramic models when compared with their predecessors, so I'm watching the alleged pricing meltdown from the sidelines.
Old 15 May 2022, 11:58 PM   #311
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah it will be tough to find a mint,complete 1980 year of this watch. And I think I know where you bought it, the guy in the Burlington arcade with the insane vintage Rolex stock? Walked past it a couple weeks ago with my grey and he said don’t bother the prices are silly
No, that place is a tourist trap (and would probably have charged double), it came from Watch Club, who aren't anywhere near as bad, but still on the toppy side. You could try asking the guy in Southport (Mike Wood).
Old 16 May 2022, 12:01 AM   #312
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For me it’s just the practicality of them. I bump my watches into things all the time, my dogs somehow manage to get their teeth and claws on them too so ceramics are my dailies. I’ve seen my mates’ kermits and old gmt coke’s. Ugly scratches on the bezel, I couldn’t live with that. My YM and WG Daytona I don’t wear often for the same reason. Scratched my YM bezel after 3 days (one of my dogs did) so since then I’m a ceramic fanboy

Old 16 May 2022, 12:07 AM   #313
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, that place is a tourist trap (and would probably have charged double), it came from Watch Club, who aren't anywhere near as bad, but still on the toppy side. You could try asking the guy in Southport (forgotten his name).

I’ve seen a video of his shop on YouTube, very impressive selection of vintage Rolex but to buy its a no go then. I will check this watch club, I don’t mind paying a premium, that’s just a special piece I want to own like many others, a birth year sub

Old 16 May 2022, 12:11 AM   #314
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve seen a video of his shop on YouTube, very impressive selection of vintage Rolex but to buy its a no go then. I will check this watch club, I don’t mind paying a premium, that’s just a special piece I want to own like many others, a birth year sub
Have a look on their website, but they are generally dealing with modern stuff.

Mike Wood and Haywood Milton both post occasionally in the Vintage section here, why not put up a "wanted" thread there?
Old 16 May 2022, 12:27 AM   #315
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

It's happening....

Quote:
Have a look on their website, but they are generally dealing with modern stuff.

Mike Wood and Haywood Milton both post occasionally in the Vintage section here, why not put up a "wanted" thread there?

Thanks for the advice, I will post a thread here and see if I get lucky. It gets very hard to find a piece when you’re trying to get a specific year. Any grey in London I asked just told me how there’s very little chance of finding an original,complete set

Old 16 May 2022, 12:34 AM   #316
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
The worst part is prices have dropped dramatically and still have a long way to go

They dropped against feeding frenzy of dec - February
Patek 5712 is said to be collapsing and went from 220k to 135k
Well it was 135k in December . I dont call that a collapse

I think this js just a big correction just not sure where is the realistic level.
Once china/hk opens up , the flood gates will open again

Old 16 May 2022, 12:37 AM   #317
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I will post a thread here and see if I get lucky. It gets very hard to find a piece when you’re trying to get a specific year. Any grey in London I asked just told me how there’s very little chance of finding an original,complete set
No worries, and you're right - full sets are very rare, and you don't wear the B&P you just paid an extra 10-25% for.

The only other piece of advice I would offer is IMO this vintage "birth year" business is a pile of nonsense. They moved slowly in those days, so year of manufacture and year of first sale might be somewhat different. Choose the 5513 based on condition and which dial you like the best, unless you really, really MUST have the birth year.
Old 16 May 2022, 12:46 AM   #318
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
They dropped against feeding frenzy of dec - February
Patek 5712 is said to be collapsing and went from 220k to 135k
Well it was 135k in December . I dont call that a collapse

I think this js just a big correction just not sure where is the realistic level.
Once china/hk opens up , the flood gates will open again
According to the widely despised & derided C24, 5712A peaked at (GBP) £170k in April, and is now just under £150k. In December it was £106k. Where will it go? I don't know, but I suspect when China reopens it will go up again, and when it's discontinued there is every chance it will go still higher.
Old 16 May 2022, 01:12 AM   #319
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No worries, and you're right - full sets are very rare, and you don't wear the B&P you just paid an extra 10-25% for.

The only other piece of advice I would offer is IMO this vintage "birth year" business is a pile of nonsense. They moved slowly in those days, so year of manufacture and year of first sale might be somewhat different. Choose the 5513 based on condition and which dial you like the best, unless you really, really MUST have the birth year.

That’s a problem I came across when looking before - the papers say the watch is year x but the serial tells you the real year of manufacture. Isn’t that the way to make sure I get a legit birth year model, check the serial on the case?

Old 16 May 2022, 01:19 AM   #320
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s a problem I came across when looking before - the papers say the watch is year x but the serial tells you the real year of manufacture. Isn’t that the way to make sure I get a legit birth year model, check the serial on the case?

Nothing is guaranteed with these production dates…….they only thing you will really know is the date the watch was sold from the AD if they dated the papers when sold…….everything else is just an educated guess
Old 16 May 2022, 03:00 AM   #321
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s good for them, I just rate the OP as garbage. And you want to talk cars now? What’s next, Hermes vs Dior? I thought this is a watch forum

Plus you’re comparing different brands saying one would claim that one is better than the other. I never said that, within the brand I don’t like some models. According to you a Ferrari owner loves every model ferrari makes/made? Yeah maybe talk to one and ask them. They all have models they dislike and wouldn’t buy. Snobbery? Preference it’s called

Thank you for educating me about the difference between snobbery and preference.

I have to be more careful next time when I am trying to make a point.

I am glad you clarified your position.

To an uneducated person like myself, reading your posts just simply make you sound like a snob in my poor brain.

In polite company, I would never call someone else’s possession ‘entry level garbage’. I thought I was on a watch forum. Obviously I didn’t know it is acceptable to trash talk what it could be someone’s pride and joy.

But what do I know, I can’t tell the difference between snobbery and preference when I read your well constructed posts.
Old 16 May 2022, 03:05 AM   #322
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWillard View Post
What is stopping someone in china for buying via the internet? Someone care to explain the whole China locked down and cant buy anything?
Looking at all the issues with China economy I would not be surprise if the Government steps in and not allow any currency out of the country due to liquidity issues.
Ok cool. You buy your watch. How is the seller going to ship it if they can’t go out and no one can collect?
Old 16 May 2022, 03:17 AM   #323
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
Thank you for educating me about the difference between snobbery and preference.

I have to be more careful next time when I am trying to make a point.

I am glad you clarified your position.

To an uneducated person like myself, reading your posts just simply make you sound like a snob in my poor brain.

In polite company, I would never call someone else’s possession ‘entry level garbage’. I thought I was on a watch forum. Obviously I didn’t know it is acceptable to trash talk what it could be someone’s pride and joy.

But what do I know, I can’t tell the difference between snobbery and preference when I read your well constructed posts.

Don’t remember where I called someone’s personal OP entry level garbage? I don’t like the model and consider it entry level (not garbage then if that makes you happy). If you as a Porsche driver call a Boxster entry level I don’t think many people will disagree, including a fellow Porsche owner. You would be stating facts, if you’re happy with what you got why get offended by what some clown like me has to say about it.

Old 16 May 2022, 03:18 AM   #324
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Nothing is guaranteed with these production dates…….they only thing you will really know is the date the watch was sold from the AD if they dated the papers when sold…….everything else is just an educated guess
That's right, AIUI retrospective vintage serial numberology is a bit of a guesstimate, giving only an approximate year of manufacture.
Old 16 May 2022, 03:21 AM   #325
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don’t remember where I called someone’s personal OP entry level garbage? I don’t like the model and consider it entry level (not garbage then if that makes you happy). If you as a Porsche driver call a Boxster entry level I don’t think many people will disagree, including a fellow Porsche owner. You would be stating facts, if you’re happy with what you got why get offended by what some clown like me has to say about it.
I think it's safer to say nothing at all if you don't like any particular watch, otherwise you'll get caught up in endless timewasting squabbles with owners.
Old 16 May 2022, 03:25 AM   #326
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's safer to say nothing at all if you don't like any particular watch, otherwise you'll get caught up in endless timewasting squabbles with owners.

Agree, I would reply to a thread too if someone would diss the Sub. So yeah that was it from me regarding the OP.

Back to crash talk. I’m still in denial that I overpaid when I forked out for a Panda 2 months ago. It’s worth £39k I say :)

Old 16 May 2022, 03:30 AM   #327
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWillard View Post
Not all of china is locked down but fine fair point cant ship out
This is just not true. They are exporting and importing. According to the BBC Chinese exports are delayed by an average of 7 days. Which is enough to cause shortages, delays and price increases.

But people are really clutching at straws to find excuses for the recent fall in Rolex grey market prices. The argument being that prices will go back up when China is back to normal. I have heard the Easter Christian holidays being used as another excuse offered. I expect more excuses will follow, always motivated by the idea that prices will start increasing again, so buy buy buy, before it's too late.Buy the dip etc etc.
Old 16 May 2022, 03:30 AM   #328
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

In the UK still no panda under $45k on any site. People claim they saw an auction here and there for less but officially the panda sells for that price still

Old 16 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #329
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
This is just not true. They are exporting and importing. According to the BBC Chinese exports are delayed by an average of 7 days. Which is enough to cause shortages, delays and price increases.

But people are really clutching at straws to find excuses for the recent fall in Rolex grey market prices. The argument being that prices will go back up when China is back to normal. I have heard the Easter Christian holidays being used as another excuse offered. I expect more excuses will follow, always motivated by the idea that prices will start increasing again, so buy buy buy, before it's too late.Buy the dip etc etc.
To be fair, at this time of year people are thinking about their summer holidays rather than buying watches, and there's a seasonal dip every year.
Old 16 May 2022, 03:57 AM   #330
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Quote:
To be fair, at this time of year people are thinking about their summer holidays rather than buying watches, and there's a seasonal dip every year.
This much of a dip? I’m not subscribing to the whole doomsday thing but certainly haven’t noticed this strong of a dip in the last few years.

Whether that’s due to China,, crypto, war etc or prices are correcting to sensible levels because they grew too much in covid….or indeed the Watch market is ‘crashing’ I don’t know, but even you would have to admit this much of a dip is not normal.
Closed Thread