The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2021, 05:21 PM   #301
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbond View Post
They are getting a lot of publicity but it is almost all negative.
By most accounts, 99% negative and the few positive seem to be mostly from maximalists or ambassadors who don't want to jeopardize their access. The more I see live pics of this thing the more surreal and horrific it truly is. I cringe at the thought they will go ahead with several more of these releases as I am sure their license deal is for many years. IMO their only redemption would be to weigh the feedback, realize the massive misstep, and either kill the marvel program or at the very least, tame it to marvel colorways/case-backs ect.

I was honestly very close on a PC acquisition and am now seriously considering another brand. Yes, it's that bad.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:00 PM   #302
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak

The level of detail is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:04 PM   #303
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

The level of detail is awesome
Just a pity it's not actually attractive.

Personally I’m very unimpressed and would never consider owning something like this. However it doesn’t put me off the brand as such, as long as AP carry on creating pieces that are less radical and that I like (and are obtainable), along with exceptional customer service. But I’m really not a fan of naff celebrity tie-ins, especially like this – it may get AP exposure but it does nothing for brand credibility.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:10 PM   #304
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post

I was honestly very close on a PC acquisition and am now seriously considering another brand. Yes, it's that bad.
If you put your 15407 side by side with this new BP model then of course the BP is an abomination, no arguments from me. But I could make the same comparison with an Aston DB sports car and their DBX SUV...

If AP have truly pissed off a customer like you then they've certainly screwed up. The question is whether that matters to them, which we'll only know over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
Count me in on the turnoff. I was about to purchase an AP Diver but now- nope!!

Sure you were...
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:22 PM   #305
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Oh, the penis thing is definitely an error, how can that have got through any evaluation?

AP will have to be very careful with Spidey's hand positions and his gossamer spinning when they bring out the Spider Man version.
Old 11 April 2021, 06:43 PM   #306
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
Count me in on the turnoff. I was about to purchase an AP Diver but now- nope!!

Im baffled, why would this put you off a Diver if it's a watch you like and were planning to buy?
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:54 PM   #307
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Here's an interesting interview with FHB:

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style...iguets-limited

The big takeaway...

NO MORE MARVEL PIECES UNTIL 2024.

Crisis over, rest easy, your 'collections' and 'investments' are safe from depreciation. AP hasn't entered self-destruct mode, it's just playing and having fun.
Old 11 April 2021, 07:24 PM   #308
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson13 View Post
I will never be able to un-see the penis thing.
The dick is one thing but it's that one long ball that is doing my head in.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 07:45 PM   #309
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I liked the Berluti coat of FHB though - so maybe there is a collab coming:)
The coat was nice but FHB needs to lose weight, a lot actually.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 09:20 PM   #310
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
The first MARVEL/AP Superhero is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Here's an interesting interview with FHB:

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style...iguets-limited

The big takeaway...

NO MORE MARVEL PIECES UNTIL 2024.

Crisis over, rest easy, your 'collections' and 'investments' are safe from depreciation. AP hasn't entered self-destruct mode, it's just playing and having fun.

I’m sure after all the negativity, they will tone down this collab in future even if they did have big plans.

Again, all these folks thinking AP is done for after one badly received watch (even though all 250 pieces sold before hand and special piece selling for $5.2M), are delirious.

They took a gamble to do something different (and bit mad I admit) instead of being a boring Swiss watch company just coming with new colours of the same watch. If people don’t like in general, I’m sure they will adapt and move on.

If anything, I personally hope less people buy ROs so I can finally have a chance at a Jumbo. Will love that no matter what crazy shit AP want to experiment with.

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 09:22 PM   #311
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
My biggest takeaway is maybe their is a 42mm concept in my future (sans Marvel). The case fit is fantastic.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 09:26 PM   #312
AshAP
"TRF" Member

I like the watch more each time I look at it especially from different angles to appreciate the piece properly.

For comparison, looking back at what RM did with the Bonbon series this AP is incredible.

Old 11 April 2021, 09:36 PM   #313
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I like the watch more each time I look at it especially from different angles to appreciate the piece properly.

For comparison, looking back at what RM did with the Bonbon series this AP is incredible.

I actually liked the RM Bonbon series and this is a good example of good watch fun.

But this is an abomination it is bad taste and grotesque. Feels even cheaper than what I thought. A happy-meal toy as other said before.

At the end, not a big problem of course and I respect those who actually like it. To each his own. I just don't recognize myself in a brand that can release something like this in such a show.

I have 2 big pieces incoming in the next months. I might really revisit that.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 09:39 PM   #314
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
99% WIS probably hate it. 99% of RO fans will still want a RO.

99% of non-WIS AP buyers will probably never hear of this fiasco and continue to lap up what AP sell.
Old 11 April 2021, 09:52 PM   #315
GS93108
"TRF" Member

To anyone so distressed by this abomination by AP that has a RO on order that they are no longer going to take, please PM me and I'll take your allocation.

I'm especially keen on ANYTHING that will make an instant premium on the secondary markets. If you've got a 15202, a Ceramic QP or Ceramic DB waiting for collection, then let me know, I'll travel internationally to collect it from AP in person...
Old 11 April 2021, 09:54 PM   #316
GS93108
"TRF" Member

My biggest criticism of AP and this release is that it has distracted me from the Masters!
Old 11 April 2021, 10:02 PM   #317
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

When a brand has to resort to 'gimmicks' to sell timepiece and get press, you know they're reaching their end-game of life imho.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:19 PM   #318
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To anyone so distressed by this abomination by AP that has a RO on order that they are no longer going to take, please PM me and I'll take your allocation.

I'm especially keen on ANYTHING that will make an instant premium on the secondary markets. If you've got a 15202, a Ceramic QP or Ceramic DB waiting for collection, then let me know, I'll travel internationally to collect it from AP in person...

Old 11 April 2021, 10:34 PM   #319
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly

Totally fair if people hate this BP piece but to think the brand is ruined.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:39 PM   #320
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I am a little concerned for the AP brand.

I get wanting to have fun and such. But using licensed IP of comic book characters seems a little off direction from the brands mantra.

I could be completely off base. However, it just seems odd that the offering is this in your face. It is like they are trying to out do Hublot.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:58 PM   #321
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

The case size looks great. I guess the impact of the watch will probably be geared towards what public figures are seen wearing it.
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:09 PM   #322
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
My biggest takeaway is maybe their is a 42mm concept in my future (sans Marvel). The case fit is fantastic.
I agree 100%. That was my take away as well. I’m not a Marvel fan, so the timepiece isn’t my cup of tea, but the case design is a definite positive as it fit me well. Looking forward to having the option of buying a concept that would actually fit my wrist. The old case made me look like a 10 year old who borrowed my father’s watch.
Quote:

🤣

PM AperolSpritz, it looks like he has two significant pieces coming. Maybe you’ll get lucky!
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:36 PM   #323
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

So I missed all of this yesterday but now catching up.
To summarise having spent the last 10 minutes flicking through things:
1) It is very unique to say the least
2) Craftmanship second to none as would be expected
3) Overall like the colour scheme
4) Not quite my cup of tea (I wouldn't buy it) but there will be plenty of takers....

As others have said it takes all sorts and I really don't think that this is the death knell of AP. Far from it. They have done this and now nil for 3 years so contrary to what many on here think I suspect they know they will only very occasionally do this sort of thing and there are always those niche markets which will snap things up.

Let us not forget that 2 years ago we were all going on about the Code 11.59 and that this was the end of AP. A few years earlier the ROO and the initial RO were the death knell of AP.

And finally, look at all the noise over this piece. The old adage there is no such thing as bad publicity doesn't sound too out of place to me. After the 'non event' and 'non release' of Rolex earlier in the week which was a pile of **** with nothing of any note (a two tone Explorer, how very, very, original - you're design team Rolex must have spent all of 13.6 nanoseconds coming up with that one.....) and where saying it was dull would be a compliment and being kind, at least this has given us all a lot to talk about!!!

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:47 PM   #324
edo
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, I hate this piece too, but let's take a moment and be real...

Too often we speak about history, pride, heritage and forget something that happened 10-12 years ago, and at that time AP was Offshore limited watch company. No one cared about Jumbo, you can walk in in every boutique and AD in the world and have one, chronos also... perpetual calendars were covered in dust, even the best skeletonized ones... or should we step back another few years when they are selling 100 Jumbos per year... mostly in Italy and Germany...

A little hypocritic is having problem with superhero on the dial but not having problem with messing original design and Jumbo monoblock case to cut costs, and not even mentioning that in any press release, official statement on website or changing reference number. I swear that above 50% owners of the 15202 doesn't even know what I'm talking about...

OK, FHB is looking like cocaine sniffing midlife crisis crazy uncle, but AP was never doing like recent times... Jumbo is iconic again, time/date ROs in all sizes are hard to get, RO line is much much stronger and in demand than ROO, skeleton pieces are insane, everybody loves perpetual calendars and they are hard to get no matter of material, ROO line was, with the launch of 44mm, sized down with the number of models and not everybody gets his limited edition, and they will perform even better with the new 43mm...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:48 PM   #325
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Imagine if AP had bought out something bland, people would be slating them for that, so in a way whatever they do, they can’t win with everyone.

Main thing is, it’s grabbed people’s attention and my guess is as time goes on, it’s becomes a more positive talking point. AP know exactly what they are doing.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:49 PM   #326
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
My biggest criticism of AP and this release is that it has distracted me from the Masters!
Nothing ever distracts me from the Masters

Just hoping JR can close the gap today!
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:02 AM   #327
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
AP know exactly what they are doing.
I'm not 100% sure that's the case, but agree that the last word on APxMarvel is not spoken. If enough people with cash to spare find they can't get their hands on one, the tone of the discussion will change.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:19 AM   #328
Jtkeller
"TRF" Member

Did anyone here get offered the BP? If so, did you accept it?

Jtkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:36 AM   #329
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but after looking at the Hodinkee article and photos, the watch is growing on me. I’d never personally buy it, but Ive come around to respect it. AP really did lean in 200% on this thing. The craftsmanship is kinda wild. And I do tip my hat to them as the only one of the holy trinity taking any sort of risks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 12:36 AM   #330
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post

PM AperolSpritz, it looks like he has two significant pieces coming. Maybe you’ll get lucky!
LOL

I bought 6 APs over the last 4 years... I love the brand. For me the Royal Oak is the best watch design out there. Period.

But my view is that for that kind of money, you don't only buy a watch, you need to buy the brand.
I'm not going to repeat what I said, still love the watches I ordered but the brand is going in a direction I don't understand and when talking about c.200k for 2 watches, yes, I might spend my money elsewhere.

Or just buy and flip... even if I never sold a watch in my life.

Am probably going to stop posting on this thread now given I said what I felt and I truly don't want to offend those who like it...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote