The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 23 December 2021, 11:27 AM   #301
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
The OP has nothing to do with Tiffany and there’s a made up correlation with an auction piece that does have a real partnership to drive profits. Plus, it’s not even the true Tiffany brand color. I can’t disagree with your third bullet point enough…. stamped Tiffany Rolex dials have been commanding premiums for decades. You can’t just dismiss the stamp and collaboration or the prior posters gold/brass analogy comes into play. I have no issue with the OP, in fact bought my wife one a couple years ago in a different shade of blue, but to draw any correlation to the 5711 auction makes zero sense to me.
It makes sense to plenty others... These stella-like tiles have been demanding premiums from the get-go!! What's more is that the Tiffany turquoise has been demanding a premium higher than all the others from the very beginning, and it has been hotter than the others since its inception, and it has been regarded as the Tiffany dial color since almost the very beginning of its release and announcement, well, long long before and announcement of a 5711 turquoise or a 5711 auction!

It is what it is, whether you and others like it or not.

I can't wait to revisit this thread in 24 months when this dial color is gone, and the prices are north of 50k.
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 11:32 AM   #302
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~jj View Post
the op has nothing to do with tiffany and there’s a made up correlation with an auction piece that does have a real partnership to drive profits. Plus, it’s not even the true tiffany brand color. I can’t disagree with your third bullet point enough…. Stamped tiffany rolex dials have been commanding premiums for decades. You can’t just dismiss the stamp and collaboration or the prior posters gold/brass analogy comes into play. I have no issue with the op, in fact bought my wife one a couple years ago in a different shade of blue, but to draw any correlation to the 5711 auction makes zero sense to me.
+1
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 11:40 AM   #303
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I haven’t read every page or post of this. But I am genuinely surprised this is so much bickering and banter over this. Without a dog in the race: It’s a nice watch. It’s fetching a premium. Some think the premium is justified and some think it’s absurd. How much more is there to bicker about? Can’t we agree to disagree and move on (hopefully to other non-value related issues?)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 12:11 PM   #304
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Pretty basic looking OP41

Baby blue dial :)

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 12:29 PM   #305
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Pretty basic looking OP41

Baby blue dial :)

Nice picture . Yeah, beautiful Turquoise Tiffany dial
Old 23 December 2021, 09:56 PM   #306
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
How many billionaires are buying this watch? You have no clue who is buying these or any others at grey, no one does except for the dealers themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are leveraging themselves just because of the social hype and must have factor. Otherwise people like David wouldn't be offering Affirm financing. The billionaire ratio is played out, most people get it.

I was responding to a member on here who said “even billionaires are not crazy enough to pay $35K for this watch”. I am not saying that only billionaires are buying these watches. Please read all the thread carefully before responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:29 AM   #307
simon1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116688 YM2 gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw92676 View Post
i haven’t read every page or post of this. But i am genuinely surprised this is so much bickering and banter over this. Without a dog in the race: It’s a nice watch. It’s fetching a premium. Some think the premium is justified and some think it’s absurd. How much more is there to bicker about? Can’t we agree to disagree and move on (hopefully to other non-value related issues?)

+1
simon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:32 AM   #308
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1965 View Post
+1
+2
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:37 AM   #309
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1965 View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
+2
+3. I think this thread has run it's course.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 02:21 AM   #310
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Not my photo, but a cool shot.

Tiffany unboxing!

Old 24 December 2021, 02:22 AM   #311
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
- Slightly colorblind: Isn't that slightly unfair to those who find this color and/or its distinctive quality genuinely appealing? In my eyes, while we can debate endlessly whether it is or isn't close enough to Tiffany's brand colors, the Rolex has actually a slightly prettier color tone.

- Mistaking the brand: Why would the appeal be reliant on this. I think its amply clear to any of us that we won't get the Nautilus, so the lack of a Patek inscription is not relevant. Most of us are probably happy enough with this being an attractive and highly recognizable Rolex.

- Lack of Tiffany & Co inscription: See above re the Patek inscription, not sure this is really relevant. The Tiffany piece has no doubt served as a propellant for a new, broader trend. But this trend was arguably already on the way with the Rolex - which believe it or not is an appealing watch on its own merits which was actually getting quite popular before this whole Tiffany affair.

- Not a limited edition: Neither are the regular Nautilusses, and I'd argue they are rare enough. In addition, as I've said before, there are probably less robin egg blue OPs in the world in absolute numbers than there are 5711s. And yet we consider the latter to be rare.

So with all that said, I have to confess, I like the robin egg blue OP to the point where I can see value in it even at 30k. Luckily, I got a call last week that prevented me from having to think about this with any level of seriousness.
Very good points
Old 24 December 2021, 02:41 AM   #312
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I haven’t read every page or post of this. But I am genuinely surprised this is so much bickering and banter over this. Without a dog in the race: It’s a nice watch. It’s fetching a premium. Some think the premium is justified and some think it’s absurd. How much more is there to bicker about? Can’t we agree to disagree and move on (hopefully to other non-value related issues?)
Generally speaking i'm with you. I feel pretty indifferent about this and 100% feel people should enjoy this hobby in anyway that makes them happy.

However, I've also openly and happily with no regrets, never had a problem buying watches at market value. That means back in 2016-17 I bought my aunt a bnib hulk from a trusted seller for 8300. It also means last november I paid 26k for a daytona lol.

I would never take a hard stance that any one should buy, trade, sell and enjoy watches the way I do. But when you're a person that clearly has no problem paying a premium (for whatever the reasons) it's hard to sit back and listen to people tell you you're stupid or insane for doing so. I can go on and on about this, but that's not really helpful right now.

While those things specifically might not have been said verbatim in this thread (although they probably were lol) I think that's where a lot of animosity comes from. No one likes to be proven wrong, no ones likes to be told they're stupid or crazy. That's where the heat is coming from here IMO.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 02:43 AM   #313
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Generally speaking i'm with you. I feel pretty indifferent about this and 100% feel people should enjoy this hobby in anyway that makes them happy.

However, I've also openly and happily with no regrets, never had a problem buying watches at market value. That means back in 2016-17 I bought my aunt a bnib hulk from a trusted seller for 8300. It also means last november I paid 26k for a daytona lol.

I would never take a hard stance that any one should buy, trade, sell and enjoy watches the way I do. But when you're a person that clearly has no problem paying a premium (for whatever the reasons) it's hard to sit back and listen to people tell you you're stupid or insane for doing so. I can go on and on about this, but that's not really helpful right now.

While those things specifically might not have been said verbatim in this thread (although they probably were lol) I think that's where a lot of animosity comes from. No one likes to be proven wrong, no ones likes to be told they're stupid or crazy. That's where the heat is coming from here IMO.
Well said, Chadri
Old 24 December 2021, 03:06 AM   #314
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 04:50 AM   #315
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is well written. I admittedly did not read every post here so your analysis is likely succinct and sophisticated.

Personally, some watches I would pay over, some retail, some not even with a discount. I think deep down all watch collectors feel similar to a certain extent. And if they say otherwise, they may just be fooling themselves or out of touch with todays market. The key is just that the amount (markup or discount) is different based upon the individual, the watch, the circumstance etc.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 06:42 AM   #316
vgandhi01
"TRF" Member

Pepsi has nothing to do with Rolex, but they call it Pepsi.
vgandhi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 06:45 AM   #317
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandhi01 View Post
Right but the difference is a Tiffany Rolex actually exists. For many years Rolex was offered by Tiffanys and if you purchased through Tiffanys the dial had a Tiffany and Co. stamp on it. It was authentic, not a nickname. Much like Patek today is still offered with a stamped dial if purchased through Tiffanys.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 07:02 AM   #318
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct
Old 24 December 2021, 07:59 AM   #319
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Correct
Ditto Coke™.

Ditto [Incredible] Hulk™.

Probably others. Nobody ever complained about those.
Old 24 December 2021, 08:02 AM   #320
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
Ditto Coke.

Ditto [Incredible] Hulk.

Probably others. Nobody ever complained about those.
There are indeed complainers, but some others include the smurf, root beer, blueberry, bat girl, Batman, dark knight, kermit, Cermit, Starbucks, pink panther, Bart Simpson, Panda (when not really a panda) etc
Old 24 December 2021, 08:06 AM   #321
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Nice enough piece at MRSP, but I don’t get the hype.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 09:12 AM   #322
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Old 24 December 2021, 10:18 AM   #323
X E L O R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice picture . Yeah, beautiful Turquoise Tiffany dial

Thanks… picked it up last year from my lovely AD as birthyear watch for our son… the first they had in… now impossible to get! The crazy ‘Rolex way’!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X E L O R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:51 PM   #324
vgandhi01
"TRF" Member

why complain about the price? Price is what market dictates. Also, watches tell time so why not buy Timex? You buy Rolex cause it's luxury and I doubt more than half people even know the difference between the movement.
vgandhi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 03:00 PM   #325
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
why complain about the price? Price is what market dictates. Also, watches tell time so why not buy Timex? You buy Rolex cause it's luxury and I doubt more than half people even know the difference between the movement.
Luxary and exclusivity, that warm feeling inside when you have something special ...that's what it's about
Old 24 December 2021, 03:05 PM   #326
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Luxary and exclusivity, that warm feeling inside when you have something special ...that's what it's about
so true!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 03:05 PM   #327
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Rolex values are totally screwed up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 04:02 PM   #328
spageddie
"TRF" Member

The values don't make any sense, how do they expect people not to resell when they discover that it's reselling for 4x what they paid.. lol
spageddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 05:43 PM   #329
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spageddie View Post
The values don't make any sense, how do they expect people not to resell when they discover that it's reselling for 4x what they paid.. lol
Because They don't need or want the money, they want the watch.

Sent from my KFTRPWI using Tapatalk
Old 24 December 2021, 05:47 PM   #330
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote