The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 February 2023, 07:08 AM   #331
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Actually looking at the new releases again I think I’d rather have a Star Wheel.
Came to the same conclusion today but £50k for that is a big jump for me in the Code pool rather than dipping my toe in with the steel.

I’ve got RO’s I’d like to prioritise and that sort of money eats into my RO budget
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 08:52 AM   #332
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG89 View Post
Came to the same conclusion today but £50k for that is a big jump for me in the Code pool rather than dipping my toe in with the steel.

I’ve got RO’s I’d like to prioritise and that sort of money eats into my RO budget
We’ll see. For Royal Oaks an endgame piece for me would be something like a full ceramic. I was buttering my wife up at lunch today telling her we need to go to Aria to gamble when in reality the true purpose is to hit the boutique haha.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 08:59 AM   #333
Armis
"TRF" Member

I’m a little surprised that I’m not seeing more interest in the beige Code with ceramic body The white gold + ceramic Code was always a popular piece amongst Codes, and the beige/taupe ROO made many people swoon.
But maybe I haythe wrong sense based on limited posts. Or perhaps I like the contrast of the beige/black more than the monochrome green (which is a nice hue). The contrast of blue/grey is also great. So I should keep an open mind.
(As if the boutique is eagerly waiting to deliver me my first choice)
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 09:21 AM   #334
tcpx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
I’m a little surprised that I’m not seeing more interest in the beige Code with ceramic body The white gold + ceramic Code was always a popular piece amongst Codes, and the beige/taupe ROO made many people swoon.
But maybe I haythe wrong sense based on limited posts. Or perhaps I like the contrast of the beige/black more than the monochrome green (which is a nice hue). The contrast of blue/grey is also great. So I should keep an open mind.
I'm in the same camp as you. That's definitely my favorite "normal" release from AP this week
tcpx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 09:49 AM   #335
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Out of all the releases this week I’d have to agree that this was the best “normal” release also. I personally prefer the chronograph version to the 3 hander.
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 09:53 AM   #336
serenerabbit
Banned

Watch: VTNR
Quote:
I agree that version is very appealing. Revolution watch youtube has a little on wrist video. The black ceramic middle case works so well with the steel and that coloring.
serenerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 09:56 AM   #337
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually looking at the new releases again I think I’d rather have a Star Wheel.
Starwheel is really nice. My SA said it’s “limited edition” even though it’s not numbered. Guess it is limited production.

Crossing fingers they will consider me for WG Jumbo.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 10:22 AM   #338
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahammackay86 View Post
Out of all the releases this week I’d have to agree that this was the best “normal” release also. I personally prefer the chronograph version to the 3 hander.
The chronograph is also more appealing to me.
However, a nagging question going through my mind is whether having a taupe ROO 43mm (which I do) and the beige Code would be too redundant??
They both have overlapping [very nice] features, which you might see as a positive point. But there’s something to be said and enjoyed in a diverse collection. The funniest aspect of this silly question is that this consideration doesn’t seem to apply to ROs. Hardly anyone would think twice about having the full spectrum of RO 15500 dial colors if they could. At least I wouldn’t, I’m sure of that.
Old 5 February 2023, 10:41 AM   #339
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
The chronograph is also more appealing to me.
However, a nagging question going through my mind is whether having a taupe ROO 43mm (which I do) and the beige Code would be too redundant??
They both have overlapping [very nice] features, which you might see as a positive point. But there’s something to be said and enjoyed in a diverse collection. The funniest aspect of this silly question is that this consideration doesn’t seem to apply to ROs. Hardly anyone would think twice about having the full spectrum of RO 15500 dial colors if they could. At least I wouldn’t, I’m sure of that.
Yeah the chronograph is definitely top, the contrast of the chrono’s and then the black ceramic mid case sets it apart for me.

Yes I also thought about the Taupe ROO 43mm and how it runs very similar colour wise; I personally wouldn’t have both in the collection just for variety reasons. If I already had the taupe offshore then would go for the new blue code!
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 11:34 AM   #340
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Maybe I'm a Debbie downer but despite me loving the code releases - I wish they would have done something else "for the masses".

Nice to be an ultra premium brand, but really who here is going to receive a limited 250 edition run?
They released 6 new steel models "for the masses" starting in the mid 20s. We are talking about AP here, surely you were not expecting them to release a swatch collab

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 01:30 PM   #341
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahammackay86 View Post
Yeah the chronograph is definitely top, the contrast of the chrono’s and then the black ceramic mid case sets it apart for me.

Yes I also thought about the Taupe ROO 43mm and how it runs very similar colour wise; I personally wouldn’t have both in the collection just for variety reasons. If I already had the taupe offshore then would go for the new blue code!
Agreed, in this case the blue Code makes more sense and also has nice contrasting features that I like. Now, just need to come up with the loot. It’s a good thing that I would have to wait in line for some time before I’d get an allocation.
Old 5 February 2023, 02:17 PM   #342
codecow
"TRF" Member

Beige and ceramic is the best I agree.
Old 6 February 2023, 02:20 AM   #343
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
They released 6 new steel models "for the masses" starting in the mid 20s. We are talking about AP here, surely you were not expecting them to release a swatch collab
I actually thought they were going to go down the 56 route that VC went down.
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 02:38 AM   #344
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

Code steel models are great and Taupe is excellent but I already got ROO taupe last year.
I'm not sure if both ROOs launched recently are the 30th Anniversary models or AP has something coming up soon?
Anyway, 43mm Ceramic & YG is cool enough for me to be in wait list.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 02:41 AM   #345
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Starwheel is really nice. My SA said it’s “limited edition” even though it’s not numbered. Guess it is limited production.

Crossing fingers they will consider me for WG Jumbo.
It’s weird, almost all of their production is Royal Oaks according to Tim Mosso so I think they’d be excited that anyone wants codes and they’d be making them to demand rather than holding out.
Old 6 February 2023, 03:51 AM   #346
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s weird, almost all of their production is Royal Oaks according to Tim Mosso so I think they’d be excited that anyone wants codes and they’d be making them to demand rather than holding out.
Nonsense. AP is pretty transparent about their production numbers. Total in 2022 was planned to be more than 50k and anniversary models were about 25k. Add in the non-anniversary RO/ROC, and that leaves about 20k for ROO, CODE and Concept. CODEs started out at 2000/yr and then doubled to 4000/yr, so about 10% of production a couple of years ago.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 05:24 AM   #347
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Nonsense. AP is pretty transparent about their production numbers. Total in 2022 was planned to be more than 50k and anniversary models were about 25k. Add in the non-anniversary RO/ROC, and that leaves about 20k for ROO, CODE and Concept. CODEs started out at 2000/yr and then doubled to 4000/yr, so about 10% of production a couple of years ago.
He said off the cuff 90%. So since you have the production numbers let’s post them up.
Old 6 February 2023, 05:26 AM   #348
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Has anyone received a starwheel allocation yet?
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:01 AM   #349
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Has anyone received a starwheel allocation yet?

Not yet and I asked yday.

Not an LE but they’re saying about 500 for the total run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 07:54 AM   #350
7sins
"TRF" Member

Not traditionally a YG fan but this checks EVERY box for me, utterly love at first sight. Look forward to seeing the variations in the turquoise dial.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 08:09 AM   #351
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He said off the cuff 90%. So since you have the production numbers let’s post them up.
I said "pretty transparent". Still, here are some sources:
50k total production for 2022: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ies-with-patek
(lots of other sources for that number as well)

4000 CODEs in 2020: https://www.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/i...ly-code-11-59/

1875 Jumbos in 2022: https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com...x-new-watches/

Info for total 50th ROs/ROOs came from various boutiques/AP house, quoting between 21k and $27k. The 21k number is broadly consistent with the availability on the grey market (C24), where Jumbos are about 10% of the 50th models offered.

Putting the pieces together my guess would be 65-75% RO/ROC, 15-25% ROO, 5-10% CODE + some small number of Concepts, averaged over the last years.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 6 February 2023, 09:35 AM   #352
Window Shopper
Banned

Looks like Tiffany Blue 7sins
Window Shopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 09:53 AM   #353
only1swami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Shopper View Post

Inspired by Rolex …hellloo day date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 February 2023, 10:18 AM   #354
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Not traditionally a YG fan but this checks EVERY box for me, utterly love at first sight. Look forward to seeing the variations in the turquoise dial.
Spectacular! Hope you get allocated this
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 10:22 AM   #355
codecow
"TRF" Member

Thanks Vogel, it was funny I just watched the last Perpetually Patek video with Tim on modern Patek and he cited again the 90% with 90% revenue for RO. Your numbers seem better though.
Old 6 February 2023, 10:37 AM   #356
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Shopper View Post
Well, I'd say it looks turquoise, because that's what it is
Old 6 February 2023, 05:51 PM   #357
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Well, I'd say it looks turquoise, because that's what it is
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:07 PM   #358
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post

very curious is that stony dial different for every watch, or are those black markings purposely done so?
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 08:34 PM   #359
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
very curious is that stony dial different for every watch, or are those black markings purposely done so?
It's an actual stone, no two will be the same.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 02:52 AM   #360
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

I wasn’t aware of AP’s historical precedent with stone dials. This one is now growing on me. But I’d really love to see it on white gold or platinum — that dial would really pop!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote