The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2021, 12:11 PM   #361
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I wear a Rolex because i cannot afford a Patek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:16 PM   #362
RotorSelfWinding
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgpol View Post
How very sad
The way Mikey describes it is definitely sad. However I think of it this way:

The great stories about Rolex you hear from people aren't the VP at some big company. The best stories about Rolex are the ones where a working class person hits some big milestone and buys one watch. The person spends his career wearing the watch every day. When he's older, he passes it down to his kids.

Now, obviously some of this is lost, because some Rolex ADs won't look at you twice if you don't spend enough and the aftermarket prices are insane. That's what really makes me sad.
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:32 PM   #363
MWH1010
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO Liquid Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I wear mine because as far back as I can remember, my dad wore it. We always used to marvel at the huge watch with the red and blue border. Now, when I look down at it on my wrist, I get a connection with him that I don't have anymore. And, I can look forward to passing it along to my own son, and thus maintaining that connection to future generations.
I hope my boys can share a similar story in years to come when my watches get passed on. I buy watches that I enjoy, a Tag, Omega, Bell and Ross and Rolex and hope my boys will feel the same when they are older.
MWH1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 12:46 PM   #364
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Wanted a sub probably half my life. When I finally decided to get one around 3 years ago I was shocked at both the price and difficulty buying one. I looked at other watches; researched things some and it turned out Rolex was also a very good watch. Just everything kept pointing back to Rolex.

I know a few things about wearing a Rolex. I can't think of a purely superfluous purchase that I have enjoyed this much every day. And it was a decent investment although I don't plan on selling it. It looks good, works well and has a timeless design.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:08 PM   #365
kizerman
Banned

Because they are the best of the mega-marketed, mass produced Swiss watches available.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 05:58 PM   #366
ABrolex
"TRF" Member

Because I like nice things. I've always wanted a rolex, even when I was a kid. Something I dreamed of buying myself when I can afford it. Basically a trophy. Now if I can get a 911 porsche I'll be set ;)
ABrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:20 PM   #367
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
I wear one to remind myself to stay humble and know how fortunate I am that I can afford something so nice.
Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 08:52 PM   #368
taura
"TRF" Member

I wear a Rolex specifically because it's a great example of industrial quality (I studied industrial management) and decades of refining the same models produces something that others simply cannot deliver. It also projects precision, quality and reliability, which suits my work persona. No-one else notices but I wear these things to please myself.

Other brands (just for comparison):

Grand Seiko - for the philosophy of attending to smallest details, Japanese aesthetics and restraint.

Omega - for the tech geek in me, also casual sporty attitude (available to everyone!)

Stowa - for the complete lack of luxury and pretentiousness (at least until you flip it over to reveal the display caseback)
taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 12:28 AM   #369
absin2
Banned

It's durability speaks louder....
absin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 12:46 AM   #370
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

The models I own .. it really comes down to how they fit my wrist and I like the looks. Same goes for the other (too) many watches I own.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 12:50 AM   #371
Becweb
Banned

I wear Rolex because it shows that I have the funds to own one, and shows that therefore I am a better person overall than someone who has a watch cheaper than mine (and in turn a person wearing a more expensive watch than mine is a better person than me overall), and I want to attract the attention and jealousy of people who can't afford it.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 01:30 AM   #372
RotorSelfWinding
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
I wear Rolex because it shows that I have the funds to own one, and shows that therefore I am a better person overall than someone who has a watch cheaper than mine (and in turn a person wearing a more expensive watch than mine is a better person than me overall), and I want to attract the attention and jealousy of people who can't afford it.
This guy gets it
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:18 AM   #373
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Funny thread. I guess I have loved watches since I was a kid. don't know where I got it from, my dad wasnt' that way at all. Anyway, I do use them for what they were made for, I'm an avid scuba diver and I can't think of a sub I've owned vintage or not that hasn't gone into the water for at least one dip. I wear them because I love them, nothing to do with image or what someone might or might not think about it.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:24 AM   #374
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Quote:
Lol love it
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:28 AM   #375
TXSD43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batgirl, Hulk, SD4
Quote:

You made my day!!

TXSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:35 AM   #376
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Because I'm worth it
Old 23 February 2021, 02:37 AM   #377
Sim1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I wear a Rolex because i cannot afford a Patek
Old 23 February 2021, 02:39 AM   #378
Sim1
"TRF" Member

I love the look and wearability of Daytonas. As a matter of fact it's the only model I own from Rolex (in different styles and combinations).
Old 23 February 2021, 02:39 AM   #379
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I buy the best and I only cry once.
This is good advice
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 02:43 AM   #380
TheGuvna
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS/Omega
Quote:
I wear Rolex because it shows that I have the credit to own one, and shows that therefore I am a better person overall than someone who has a watch cheaper than mine (and in turn a person wearing a more expensive watch than mine is a better person than me overall), and I want to attract the attention and jealousy of people who can't afford it.
Made a slight change to make it reflect me a bit better
Old 23 February 2021, 02:07 PM   #381
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Having grown up poor, I could not even dream of owning a watch that costs as much as a car so I never thought about it. Fast forward several decades and my 22 year old daughter somehow became interested in watches and I started to study and research them.

After running a business for over 25 years, I decided to reward myself and the Daytona was for me as it was sporty and complemented my love of racing and sports cars. I love the watch but I've only worn it a handful of times as it's more of a special occasion trophy watch so the search was on for something I could wear and appreciate on an everyday basis.

I knew that a diver was for me but couldn't decide between a Sub or an SD43. Ultimately the SD43 wore better on my wrist and was not as common so it became my everyday watch. It's something I can look down at and not only appreciate the build quality and ruggedness, but also reminds me of the hard work I've put in day in and day out as well as the accomplishments.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 10:20 PM   #382
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
I bought mine in 1984 to be honest to tell time. I also figured that the watch would last a life time and be cheaper then buying a bunch of cheaper watches over the years and replacing watch batteries, 35 years later my hunch was correct
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:10 PM   #383
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrm26 View Post
Why Do You Wear A Rolex?
Because I like it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 08:48 AM   #384
RKFdds
"TRF" Member

-The look of the bezel, bracelet and face is the most esthetic of any watch
(IMO)
-Subjectively speaking, they are “the best”
-I don’t wear jewelry, but a Rolex watch fills the desire for an accessory
-doing what I do, I’m always on someone else’s “clock”. Looking at one of my rolexes makes me happier all the while

RKFdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:01 AM   #385
spikeyhair
Banned

Quote:
spikeyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:20 AM   #386
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly. According to Dr. Phil 93% of all communication is non-verbal, so wearing a Rolex is actually a very efficient way to inform others of their relative worth
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:23 AM   #387
spikeyhair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
Exactly. According to Dr. Phil 93% of all communication is non-verbal, so wearing a Rolex is actually a very efficient way to inform others of their relative worth
Agreed
spikeyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:26 AM   #388
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:

Lol, gonna attract so many haters.

Regardless of the language used or humility of tone (frequently false), the truth is that the acquisition of a Rolex for most people can be distilled to one simple principle:

The acquisition of MONEY.

And as you put it, the need for make it known to one’s peers or even strangers.

And what better tool to do it discreetly than a Rolex?

Anyone of any age in any country (don’t take that too literally) knows a Rolex when they see one, and knows exactly what it stands for.

Money.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 08:51 AM   #389
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I buy Rolex because I like the watches and I always wanted one
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 10:18 AM   #390
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Loved Rolex watches since I was 19 yrs old but couldn't afford one till I was 50. Now at 60 I own 4 Rolexes & 1 Tudor.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote