The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11 June 2016, 02:59 AM   #361
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by modee View Post

I'll give you an example. I bought 1000 shares of TSLA today. I put in an order to sell it at 1 point higher. This is a typical trade for me, to make $1K per trade. Next thing you know, it was dropping. So I put in an order to sell it at just 0.15 higher than what I had bought it at, to make a little and get the h. out. Didn't hit, kept dropping. I then considered buying another 1000 shares to cost average in, but didn't bother as 1000 shares isn't such a big deal to me I could hold it forever but get into 2K or 3K shares and that's a larger position of this particular stock than I care to hold, in case I got stuck and had to hold past today.
I'm sorry but nobody puts $225k at risk for a $1k, you could do it for a franction with options, Plus, double down with another $225K, I'm calling BS
Old 11 June 2016, 03:36 AM   #362
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

You're right about options, John.
Wise traders use options to make upside without risking full downside.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 11 June 2016, 05:00 AM   #363
modee
Banned

Watch: Rolex 228206
Out made one point on AMZN four on CMG, looking to rebuy AMZN 714.5 hold through next week.
Old 11 June 2016, 05:02 AM   #364
modee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I'm sorry but nobody puts $225k at risk for a $1k, you could do it for a franction with options, Plus, double down with another $225K, I'm calling BS
Nobody? lol I buy up to $1.2M of a stock at once just to make a point. If you're a trader I'll show you my orders at level 2 , 1000 shares of GOOGL sometimes 1500 flashing in the pre-. I'll flash 'em on and off to show you. Send me a PM, I'll put in an order to buy 1750 shares of AMZN at some price one or two points below the bid in the AH today, you'll see it. I'll set it one or two points below so that it won't fill, but not so low that it will be off the Level 2 grid entirely. After you've seen it, I'll flash it off so that you'll know it was I.

Options are, as someone I know puts it on the trading boards, for "crack heads" most expire worthless. No offense intended. I prefer the actual stock because if I get stuck I can just hold for a few days (or weeks) until it comes back. Example would be I got stuck in 500 sh of AMZN in the 600s in January and that bastard went all the way down to 480 as I recall before it came back to where it is now. (No I didn't hold it until I made fifty grand but I did hold it until I was in the green again.) I also bought an extra 1000 @ 603 before earnings sold at 630 that same day, which actually sucked the stock went to 670s seconds later but I had my sell order in before earnings were released.
Anyway, during Jan/Feb/Mar until it came back, I just kept watching it every day wondering when the pain would stop. If I had had options I would have lost it all.

I have an order in at this moment to buy 200 AMZN at 714.5 That's a small order for me. If filled will hold to next week. Doesn't look good though it's above 715 already though, but in the last hour I put in take it or leave it orders, if any orders at all. I'm not keen on holding through today unless I get a very low price.

Yeah true there's a lot of B.S. and all talk on the i'net but not from me. I maintain my own forums I am just a minor participant on this one but I am the Admin/Owner of other forums and I don't post anything that is not true when it comes to stocks, it is a pretty serious business to me been doing this since I was a pup in the late 90s.

http://www.modeeworld.com/forums/for...n-amazon-stock
Old 11 June 2016, 05:50 AM   #365
modee
Banned

Well that's what comes of being too cheap lol. 714.5 no fill, and now it's 717 into the close. That take it or leave it sometimes is good, and other times leaves potential profit unreaped.
Old 11 June 2016, 06:01 AM   #366
modee
Banned

AMZN close 718. Coulda had it at 715, had class been a contendah. No fill at 714.5
Old 11 June 2016, 06:37 AM   #367
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
Quote:
AMZN close 718. Coulda had it at 715, had class been a contendah. No fill at 714.5

My wife works at Amazon and she got into the game when stock was still Wayyyyyyy lol. She wakes up everyday and loves to see what the market has done for her. lol. I bet it gets to 1000 easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Old 11 June 2016, 06:43 AM   #368
modee
Banned

I owned AMZN in the late 90s, sold it at pretty much the top back then around a hundred before it eventually collapsed back to single digits.

I haven't held it longer than a few months at a time since, which of course, wish I had.

I have held AAPL very long term since 2006-7 and am quite happy about that.

Amazon has fantastic customer service on orders placed, once approved and shipped.
Old 14 June 2016, 05:58 AM   #369
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Not sure if you guys play triple velocity stocks. Put couple grand into tvix at different points in the 2 dollar range it's up 30% today due to the market being down. I play these types of stocks to bet with and against the market. Also bet with and against oil and gold with uwti and nugt. Some people call it a pure gamble but I normally try and follow market trends in my decision making of when to buy and sell.

Old 23 June 2016, 06:02 AM   #370
modee
Banned

In for a few hundred TSLA at the close, 196.5, see what happens. It dropped a lot today, hoping it pushes back over 200 again. If it keeps dropping will cost average in a large chunk, but hope I don't have to do that.
Old 23 June 2016, 06:18 AM   #371
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I am thinking it is oversold also, bounce in the am!
Old 23 June 2016, 06:29 AM   #372
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
In for a few hundred TSLA at the close, 196.5, see what happens. It dropped a lot today, hoping it pushes back over 200 again. If it keeps dropping will cost average in a large chunk, but hope I don't have to do that.

It s on my list too though i don t move before Brexit.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 23 June 2016, 08:32 AM   #373
modee
Banned

I'm hoping Brexit vote fails, but then the current rumor is that GB will remain so dunno if the actual news will matter or may even result in a sell. Can't even predict how the markets will react.

TSLA up a fraction in the AH, over 197 now.

I could sell right now, lol, and make a whole couple hundred bucks almost, but I'm going to hold out. Plus lately I use Options House
http://www.modeeworld.com/forums/for...s-better-value
the most, so my AH trading window closes at 2pm PST.

I've traded huge chunks of stock to make only 0.10 more times than I care to admit but that's never my intention going in. Sometimes though you just want out and any profit seems okay. Do not look back - learn from the past but not regret it.
Old 23 June 2016, 09:03 AM   #374
modee
Banned

BIIB - biotech stock

Some of you apparently trade or follow biotechs. I don't particularly, but a family friend trades BIIB a lot so I have been watching it closely past month or so. Have not traded it yet.

Bad news on it lately had brought it to a 52 week low, and then today while watching my TSLA in the AH I noticed BIIB down another -19.50

Often these are "false reads" just fills outside of market done by the market makers to conclude a trade that was supposed to go off during regular market hours. However those "erroneous" fills reflect a price that was within the day's trading. BIIB never got down to 219 and change today during the regular market.

Did it really get that low today? See the spike down in the AH. I couldn't find any corresponding news to explain a sudden dip then rise back up like that.
Old 23 June 2016, 10:01 AM   #375
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkot07 View Post
Not sure if you guys play triple velocity stocks. Put couple grand into tvix at different points in the 2 dollar range it's up 30% today due to the market being down. I play these types of stocks to bet with and against the market. Also bet with and against oil and gold with uwti and nugt. Some people call it a pure gamble but I normally try and follow market trends in my decision making of when to buy and sell.

Sold all my TVIX in Feb. for $13.20, then I start buying it back at $9.28 and now I am avg like $5.62.. All ETFs is a sucker bet if you hold for more than a few weeks.
Old 23 June 2016, 10:11 AM   #376
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Bought some RIG at $9.90. I have no doubt that we will see $100 oil again in the future.
Old 23 June 2016, 11:04 AM   #377
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
Sold all my TVIX in Feb. for $13.20, then I start buying it back at $9.28 and now I am avg like $5.62.. All ETFs is a sucker bet if you hold for more than a few weeks.

You should not be holding leveraged etfs overnight let alone for weeks. That's not what they are meant for and you're sure to get slaughtered.

An etf that's a leveraged version of the Vix...that's strictly for lunatics and people trying to execute complex hedging strategies.
Old 23 June 2016, 01:14 PM   #378
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You should not be holding leveraged etfs overnight let alone for weeks. That's not what they are meant for and you're sure to get slaughtered.

An etf that's a leveraged version of the Vix...that's strictly for lunatics and people trying to execute complex hedging strategies.
Yup, agree!...but I got really lucky when TVIX doubled in 7 trading days in Feb.
Old 24 June 2016, 03:35 AM   #379
modee
Banned

TSLA fighting the good fight today. I could have sold at 197.5 but did not. Instead, bought more at 193.5
Old 24 June 2016, 05:42 AM   #380
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
This is going to sound silly to you guys.

I just put $100 (yes only $100) into an account to sort of play with and maybe buy a few stocks. I am a complete rookie with this, so I figured $100 isn't that much money to play with and lose. Should I read some books or something first? Is it naive to think that I can learn anything with $100?
Old 24 June 2016, 06:59 AM   #381
modee
Banned

Others may come on here and offer you different advice, but in my book $100. is not enough to do much with other than perhaps play options. I had a close friend who claimed he was so good at options that if I put $500. into an account and gave him access to it he could turn it into $5K or he'd refund my $500.

He lost that $500. in five days betting puts against a rising market, but he did mail me a check for $500. After he offered to mail the $500. I said just forget it, but he insisted.

I don't like options I prefer the actual stock but I have just barely seven figures in my account. $100. isn't even enough really to put in a mutual fund, so you may need to play options.

BUT if you pick the right option, you could turn that $100. into a $1000. in a week. Or lose it all.

For example if you had that $100. into a one week expiring put for TSLA, a cheapie option out of the money but not too far out, last week, this morning that $100. put would have been worth about $2K, maybe $3K depending on where you got in. I am just estimating not calculating the exact value, but something like that.

I am a writer if you want to read some of what I wrote about stocks and my own trading, and trading in general, take a look here:
http://www.modeeworld.com/forums/forum/money/stocks

Good luck and welcome to the greatest game there is - the stock market.
Old 24 June 2016, 02:37 PM   #382
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

UK is leaving the union...not good news if you are long in the stock market.
Old 24 June 2016, 02:50 PM   #383
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Others may come on here and offer you different advice, but in my book $100. is not enough to do much with other than perhaps play options. I had a close friend who claimed he was so good at options that if I put $500. into an account and gave him access to it he could turn it into $5K or he'd refund my $500.

He lost that $500. in five days betting puts against a rising market, but he did mail me a check for $500. After he offered to mail the $500. I said just forget it, but he insisted.

I don't like options I prefer the actual stock but I have just barely seven figures in my account. $100. isn't even enough really to put in a mutual fund, so you may need to play options.

BUT if you pick the right option, you could turn that $100. into a $1000. in a week. Or lose it all.

For example if you had that $100. into a one week expiring put for TSLA, a cheapie option out of the money but not too far out, last week, this morning that $100. put would have been worth about $2K, maybe $3K depending on where you got in. I am just estimating not calculating the exact value, but something like that.

I am a writer if you want to read some of what I wrote about stocks and my own trading, and trading in general, take a look here:
http://www.modeeworld.com/forums/forum/money/stocks

Good luck and welcome to the greatest game there is - the stock market.

Thank you for the information!!!
Old 24 June 2016, 07:54 PM   #384
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
The Nikkei is down 1,286.33 points. 7.92%. Prime Ministet Abe has called a press conference. Gonna be grim when the US Markets open in 4 1/2 hours.
Old 24 June 2016, 11:42 PM   #385
modee
Banned

MARKET WENT STRAIGHT UP FROM THE OPEN.

Bought 1000 AMZN at 693, then I entered sell at 699. It was very sluggish, slow response. As I was trying to cancel it it filled. AMZN now 708 wow left $9K on the table so far!
Old 24 June 2016, 11:57 PM   #386
modee
Banned

AMZN now 712 lol. So much for Brexit.
Old 24 June 2016, 11:58 PM   #387
modee
Banned

Well that's what happens sometimes, you sell too soon. Money's money, I LIKE IT!
Old 25 June 2016, 12:02 AM   #388
modee
Banned

The way I see it, Brexit will take two years minimum to implement. Our U.S. stock markets are not going to stay down for two years. Today is/was a buying opportunity.
Old 25 June 2016, 12:09 AM   #389
modee
Banned

Very sluggish response on buy/sell orders at Options House today. Even slower on cancellations - they show "pending cancel" for a few minutes at a time. True my orders are like Mack trucks pulling into country road lanes, often 1000 shares or more, but still, it is a little scary how long they are taking today. Lot of action out there today.

By the way, if you are a trader and you go with Options House, make sure to give them a written letter stating that you release them from all liability and do NOT want your orders "held for review." You want them filled instantly. Otherwise, on big orders ($500K or more) they will hold them up, up to 30 seconds which can be a killer. I found that out the hard way the first few days I was with Options House.
Old 25 June 2016, 12:24 AM   #390
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
^^^

I am too chicken to do anything right now. Not talking even close to the figures you have stated above anyway.

Going to just sit back and ride it out. Looks like things are coming back anyway.

Considering the big gains from yesterday, this is not too big of a deal so far.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Closed Thread