The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 April 2021, 01:42 AM   #361
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
To everyone thinking the price will stay so high - this is simply not the case. The watch is neither a limited edition, nor a complicated watch. It benefits from Instagram hype culture and speculative bubble of watch as an asset class given a decade of quantitative easing and free flow of money (yes, this is actually very much related to the world of finance).

Take it from the mouth of Thierry Stern - he said multiple times at some point the tide will turn, people will move on and the secondary market will crash which is why he never wanted the SS Nautilus to become synonymous with Patek.
And, any minute now, QE will end and the U.S. will begin a new era of fiscal responsibility.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:49 AM   #362
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
To everyone thinking the price will stay so high - this is simply not the case. The watch is neither a limited edition, nor a complicated watch. It benefits from Instagram hype culture and speculative bubble of watch as an asset class given a decade of quantitative easing and free flow of money (yes, this is actually very much related to the world of finance).

Take it from the mouth of Thierry Stern - he said multiple times at some point the tide will turn, people will move on and the secondary market will crash which is why he never wanted the SS Nautilus to become synonymous with Patek.
All due respect, but I think you’re selectively taking what you want to believe from Thierry Stern’s comments. Mr. Stern did say that he did not want Patek to be synonymous with the Natulius, but (and this is important to note) he also said he was discontinuing the 5711 (not the Nautilus line) so as to also protect current owners of the watch - i.e., maintain value retention.

The above need not be mutually exclusive.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:57 AM   #363
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
And, any minute now, QE will end and the U.S. will begin a new era of fiscal responsibility.
This message just started making 5711/1A farewell editions available at retail price @ your nearest AD. For the first 1k customers, a special 20% discount will be applied to your purchase
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 05:43 AM   #364
mwireless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980 1/R
Quote:

The problem with that is that you think the price is high because of just one thing. Market demand. This is not the case. Patek in 2017 changed the way that watches were sold all together and is using the nautilus to sell it's other less wanted watches. "You must buy this grand comp if you want the nautilus" or "you will need better purchase history to be offered a nautilus", etc. Patek is equally responsible for the run up in prices and is benefitting directly as well by using it to sell other pieces. The only way the price would fall is if they decided to either flood the market with Nautili or lowered their purchase history criteria to get one. Neither of which will happen. The more the Nautilus becomes a status symbol the more Patek will milk it's value by using it to sell other watches like grand comps, women's watches and application pieces like celestials.

You are also mistaken to think complicated pieces either should, could or do hold some higher value over a steel sports watch due to the fact they are "supposedly harder to produce". If that's your logic then the i-watch is a much more functional watch that required way more resources to initially produce than any complicated watch ever could require. If Grand comps were worth more then why do they barely sell and when they do it's always at a discount. I should know because I own one with one more on the way. The reason the Patek Nautilus sells is that it's a status symbol of success and achievement.

"It's not about telling time, it's about telling others that its now your time!" (to shine i.e. in terms of your arrival and success)
Current Collection: PP 5980 1/R, PP 5970R, PP 5271P, PP 5711 1/R, PP 5711 1/A, PP 5712R, PP 5205R Tiffany Dial, AP RO 15407OR, AP RO 26320OR, , Rolex 218238, Rolex 218235, Rolex 218206, Rolex Daytona Green Dial, Rolex Daytona 116500LN, Omega CK2998
mwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:22 AM   #365
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
When are you predicting this 150-200k baseline pricing to begin?
Old 8 April 2021, 04:46 PM   #366
mwireless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Prices are inching up already. It should just keep going up as the availability of the blue keeps decreasing. Sure it will flutter a bit but in the long run it's going to be a very high valued timepiece.
Current Collection: PP 5980 1/R, PP 5970R, PP 5271P, PP 5711 1/R, PP 5711 1/A, PP 5712R, PP 5205R Tiffany Dial, AP RO 15407OR, AP RO 26320OR, , Rolex 218238, Rolex 218235, Rolex 218206, Rolex Daytona Green Dial, Rolex Daytona 116500LN, Omega CK2998
Old 8 April 2021, 04:46 PM   #367
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I think it is next year when the steel 5711 is “actually discontinued”, so far Patek have only “announced it’s going to be discontinued in 2021” which is why it’s still available, just in a different colour option and in the 2021 catalogue. At least that’s what I think the OP was referring too.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 05:59 PM   #368
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

They just came out with the new 5711/1A, so what you talking about. It’s not discontinued!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:18 PM   #369
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
They just came out with the new 5711/1A, so what you talking about. It’s not discontinued!

They are talking about 5711/1A being discontinued this year including this green one, as announced in February and confirmed again yesterday.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:41 PM   #370
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
They are talking about 5711/1A being discontinued this year including this green one, as announced in February and confirmed again yesterday.
Yes, this.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:49 PM   #371
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210407_141318.jpg (165.0 KB, 514 views)
Old 8 April 2021, 07:45 PM   #372
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
They just came out with the new 5711/1A, so what you talking about.
Do get both the new green 5711 before they are discontinued next year!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:15 PM   #373
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What planet do you reside on? ...FFS!
JBP99p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:30 AM   #374
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP99p View Post
What planet do you reside on? ...FFS!
SS Oyster makes a good point; the blue dial is discontinued but the SS 5711 continues for at least another year. And after that, who knows?
Old 9 April 2021, 06:31 AM   #375
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Really was happy to hear Ben clymer talk about how uncool nautilus is at 100k. Taking a bit out of both sides of him mouth, but still. Also the other person made a great point about how it’s not an indication of connoisseurship to wear a nautilus.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 08:10 AM   #376
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
Also the other person made a great point about how it’s not an indication of connoisseurship to wear a nautilus.
Hasn’t been for a good 5 years. Ditto Daytona.

That’s okay though.
Old 9 April 2021, 12:57 PM   #377
chmhill
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
When I see the green dial of 5711, I am pretty sure the price of the blue dial 5711 will not drop.
chmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:41 PM   #378
mwireless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmhill View Post
When I see the green dial of 5711, I am pretty sure the price of the blue dial 5711 will not drop.
LMAOOO
Old 9 April 2021, 05:14 PM   #379
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Really was happy to hear Ben clymer talk about how uncool nautilus is at 100k. Taking a bit out of both sides of him mouth, but still. Also the other person made a great point about how it’s not an indication of connoisseurship to wear a nautilus.
Ben also said he would pick a 5270 any day over a steel 5711. Thats what i have been saying on this thread for a long time and got flamed for it, especially by mrwireless. I guess he is one of these "uncool", "me too" "instagram" 5711 types that Ben describes.

Watch connoisseurship is a rare breed nowadays. Mostly dominated by speculators and Instagram showoffs. John Goldbergers of this world are beeing replaced by Timepiece Gentlemen types.
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 07:36 PM   #380
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Okay, so I have a few questions: at what price does the 5711/1a Nautilus become cool? Only at MSRP? Is it still cool at $50K? If you bought one for less than MSRP is that watch still cool even if the market price is $100K? If you bought your 5711 at $20K but your mate paid $100K, is your watch cool but your mates isn't?
What watch is an indication of connoisseurship? In the world of the internet any moron can search for rare, expensive, high complication, time pieces and, given enough money, own anything. Any idiot with enough funds can go to a Phillips sale and pick up a few 6263s and a Comex 1665, a few tropical subs, does that make him a connoisseur? Does it mean that those watches are no longer cool and that collecting them requires no connoisseurship?
Help me understand.
Old 9 April 2021, 07:50 PM   #381
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
This was a contrarian view for the sake of being contrarian. Hodinkee was on the SS watches bandwagon for a long, long time, exactly as others. Let me get the logic straight:

1. You get a great SS watch, the Nautilus because you enjoy it, the comfort, the way you can wear it with everything, the history, the Patek brand, etc.
2. Many people realize that the watch is really cool, and given increasing demand and steady supply the price goes up
3. ????
4. You decide that the watch you bought and/or admired is suddenly not cool because many more people are also interested in having it

This comes out to me as little bit of snobbery. Nautilus was never (I think) an indication of connoisseurship - it's a simple watch from a company very well established in the market. We are not taking Triple Split, we are not talking about indie brand.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 07:52 PM   #382
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
Ben also said he would pick a 5270 any day over a steel 5711. Thats what i have been saying on this thread for a long time and got flamed for it, especially by mrwireless. I guess he is one of these "uncool", "me too" "instagram" 5711 types that Ben describes.

Watch connoisseurship is a rare breed nowadays. Mostly dominated by speculators and Instagram showoffs. John Goldbergers of this world are beeing replaced by Timepiece Gentlemen types.
Help me out here. I thought connoisseurs were quiet thoughtful types who followed their own path and took advantage of market dislocations, buying undervalued and ignoring the trendy overvalued, never blowing their own horns until, one day, their mind numbingly great collections were revealed to the world and they were acclaimed as geniuses. If the 5270 is such a great bargain, why not buy one in every color and wait for the world to recognize how prescient you were and, after the great price readjustment, trade each of your 5270s for three or four 5711s?
Old 9 April 2021, 08:34 PM   #383
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwireless View Post
And I have a 5270 and a 5711 because they’re both great watches in their own right.
As for me, I have 2 5270s because I wanted more than 1 5711!

Hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 09:01 PM   #384
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I wouldn't be surprised if what Ben Clymer was sayings was "No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Old 9 April 2021, 09:22 PM   #385
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if what Ben Clymer was sayings was "No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Probably the reason why he made up his own travel clock last year...

"GMT, WT are too mainstream... I'll make my own" - Ben Crymer

Last edited by S``; 9 April 2021 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Clock not watch
Old 9 April 2021, 11:03 PM   #386
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Green already for sale in Singapore for $200,000 US

Old 10 April 2021, 12:17 AM   #387
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
There will be a great unwind in SS at some point IMHO, and it will be ugly. PP is getting ahead of it by discontinuing the 5711 all together and putting the spotlight on their complicated pieces.
For sure, at some point the market will shift, that was always the case. At the end of 1980s you had Rolex dealers begging you to take Daytonas' off their hands, nobody wanted them.

This comment from Thierry Stern always stuck with me:
Quote:
But it’s important that we know we are going to keep them, because it’s the best investment for my family also. I know that if I have Patek Philippe well secured with good reserves, when bad times will come, I can save Patek. Most of the brands today they don’t have any reserves, and I don’t understand that.
Whatever the 5711 replacement is it will be first in precious metal with a 60k+ price tag.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 12:28 AM   #388
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

the 3 new releases will have grey asking 4-5 times for them...

and forget them in retail
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 12:46 AM   #389
mwireless
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Since you love Ben Clymer so much... Here he is wearing a 5711 to a Patek event. Kinda blows everything you've been saying out the water. LOLL I'm curious though, does that make him on of the "uncool", "me too" and "instagram" 5711 types??

https://www.gq.com/story/patek-phili...s-in-the-crowd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ben clymer 5711.jpg (110.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 10 April 2021, 12:54 AM   #390
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwireless View Post

Since you love Ben Clymer so much... Here he is wearing a 5711 to a Patek event. Kinda blows everything you've been saying out the water. LOLL I'm curious though, does that make him on of the "uncool", "me too" and "instagram" 5711 types??
Clymer is a wolf among sheeps... Look at how much $$$ he is making with the Donkee's Ltd Ed watches... pumping them out like no tomorrow...

ADs wish they are as cool as Ben, they have to discount BPs, IWCs, TAGs, etc, while Ben, not only sell at full retail, but also get the manufacturers to bend to their will... Last but not least, you have the "connoisseurs" who sits on their work desk, refreshing their computers, phones, tablets, every 5 mins in order to get their orders in AT FULL RETAIL to get their fix..

Total Alpha move by Benny