The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 May 2023, 05:08 AM   #361
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Riddle me this though, why is the IWC Mk 20 double the price of a Baume & Mercier Baumatic and nobody seems to believe that’s objectionable? Same movement once again… the point being, substance value is only one of the factors behind the pricing of these things, positioning, if done well, can be just as legit a factor.

Now whether or not they’re going to do that well is another question. But there’s no denying that they’ve had a brilliant start in cementing the notion that this thing is expensive (and thus exclusive, as you have to be in a certain demographic to not give a damn about what substance you get for your five figures). Thanks to you, me, all of us, this message has made the rounds far further than an ordinary ad campaign could ever have. I say good job IWC.

You’re not wrong about the start. I suppose any publicity is good publicity. And this has caused quite a scene. So while I won’t say “good job” as I doubt their strategy was to overprice their watch so they could get bad press and thereby force people to argue about it until it gets notoriety… probably more dumb luck… I will say bravo for pricing it at a level where at least enough people buy it to sell it out.

As to your first question, I think movement is just a piece of the equation. And in time/date watches, it’s probably a very small piece, giving way to design, finish, etc. the MK20 is cooler looking with better branding. But… I get your point: on some level it’s all perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2023, 05:03 PM   #362
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
Not everyone who handled it was positive about the Ingenieur.
Not only that. At W&W there were very few people that were interested in the Ingenieur while the vast majority of the crowd were looking at pilot's chronographs and that means something IMHO, as people going to W&W are watch aficionados. I'd say that the percentage was 10% Inge 90% Pilot.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2023, 12:49 AM   #363
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
My feeling is the demand for this watch will be very strong. There are alot of watch collectors who care less about value retention or price. There will be enough people with money to burn to make this watch hard to get. IWC already said this is an allocation only piece. So those who want it, will have to wait patiently. I dont see IWC discounting this watch unless demand is so weak that they need to.

I believe the Aqua dial is a start to some more unique dials to come. If IWC gets creative and makes some beautiful dials, this has the potential to be a hot watch. I never got the impression IWC makes watches to appease people. They have their own focus and creative elements. Its kinda like a take it or leave it mentality. The CEO said more models will be coming out, this was just the launch. So maybe some strap models will come at a more affordable price? Maybe some creative dials? Chronograph, or maybe a non-date. I am more optimistic to this watch. I think the next 6-12 months will be very interesting on where this goes.

Me personally, i have been wanting an integrated bracelet watch for sometime. I dont need something haughte horology, this Ingy fits my budget and taste. I think ill consider it when I see one IRL.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2023, 02:32 AM   #364
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
lol if the prices doesn't sound right to you, move on. lol
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 05:35 AM   #365
ISWing
"TRF" Member

It looks like some people in Europe are starting to get delivery according to this German forum, so hopefully we see it in other parts of the globe soon. https://www.r-l-x.de/forum/showthrea...Bilder*/page10
ISWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 02:08 AM   #366
DGP
"TRF" Member

I believe uk deliveries start early next week.
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 06:56 AM   #367
mayorleslieknope
"TRF" Member

Put my name down for an aqua steel version at a local boutique, and paid full deposit. Very limited production (about 2-3 pieces shipped to each boutique per month, which means only 1 of each colorway). They start shipping these this month, I believe, and the titanium version doesn't start shipping until December 2023.

They were able to guarantee that mine will arrive before end of the year, but no promises other than that. Orders being placed after mine are projected out to 2024.

Obviously, I personally am excited about this watch and willing to pay the premium for it. But it's been interesting reading the comments in this (and other threads), and I generally agree with the sentiment that all watches are overpriced, so it's a question of what is or isn't worth it to you. Don't know how long they'll stick with the limited production approach, but as of right now, demand is definitely exceeding supply.
mayorleslieknope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 02:12 AM   #368
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

finally i got to try the black dial prototype. sadly they didn't have the teal and white
i heard for asia, the teal might only start delivery late this year
wears like a 39mm instead of a 40mm.
solid machine finish on the bracelet and case. it's very comfortable to wear, the bracelet is on point.

Old 12 May 2023, 02:59 PM   #369
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtime View Post
finally i got to try the black dial prototype. sadly they didn't have the teal and white
i heard for asia, the teal might only start delivery late this year
wears like a 39mm instead of a 40mm.
solid machine finish on the bracelet and case. it's very comfortable to wear, the bracelet is on point.

Looks great on your wrist. Any more pics?
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 11:45 PM   #370
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Looks great on your wrist. Any more pics?
didn't take more. i have videos only.
too bad, the teal isn't available (which is what i wanted)
wears great too
Old 17 May 2023, 07:42 AM   #371
DGP
"TRF" Member

Had the call this morning and collected in the afternoon (White Dial). I Love it, but can not wear it as the bracelet is too small for my wrist! They are contacting Switzerland to send an extra link or two.
I would have thought extra links would have been sent out to each boutique in advance.
Still in the flesh the dial is stunning and hopefully I can be wearing it before too long.
Old 17 May 2023, 03:08 PM   #372
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Where is the IWC Genta Ingenieur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
Had the call this morning and collected in the afternoon (White Dial). I Love it, but can not wear it as the bracelet is too small for my wrist! They are contacting Switzerland to send an extra link or two.

I would have thought extra links would have been sent out to each boutique in advance.

Still in the flesh the dial is stunning and hopefully I can be wearing it before too long.

Congratulations with the new watch, probably one of the first customers in the UK to get one allocated. Would love to see some wrist shots when properly sized. Wear it in good health.
Old 17 May 2023, 05:45 PM   #373
DGP
"TRF" Member

Many thanks Batmannr1
I’ll upload some shots later today (resting on wrist) �� But no photos seems to capture how the light plays on the dial.
Old 17 May 2023, 10:36 PM   #374
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
are they charging you for extra links?
you must have a huge wrist
Old 18 May 2023, 02:10 AM   #375
DGP
"TRF" Member

I don’t know about huge! I think most people have small wrists ��
Never had a problem with Rolex or Patek metal bracelets as extra links supplied at no extra. Also with leather straps my jeweller automatically supplies me with larger ones (and never been charged).
So I’ll keep you updated on any supplement changes!!!
Old 18 May 2023, 04:25 AM   #376
ISWing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats, hope you get those links soon.

Which boutique did you use ?
Old 18 May 2023, 08:40 PM   #377
DGP
"TRF" Member

Hi ISWing.
I ordered it on line through the IWC E-concierge.
Old 21 May 2023, 03:11 AM   #378
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Where is the IWC Genta Ingenieur?

Had the chance to see and handle these yesterday at the NYC boutique. The aqua is gorgeous! All dial colors were very nice but the aqua popped and was striking.

The bracelet is very well done but small! I’m usually a full bracelet with Rolex and would definitely need to add another link or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 June 2023, 11:41 PM   #379
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Update: Just got this email from IWC. Not encourage by it. It seems like a mass email they pumped out to everyone in their waitlist. Didnt have details or ETA. Just a statement saying the watch is being produced. Im sure alot of people have been reaching out to their local boutiques on updates. Anyone else get this email?

Title: ENGINEERING WORK IN PROGRESS

Dear Mr (name),

Rest assured, your reservation is secured on the global pre-order list, and our watchmakers are working diligently to craft your Ingenieur watch.

You chose IWC for a reason. We never compromise on quality. We’re inspired by tradition and motivated by innovation. Since 1868, we’ve been engineering precision timepieces; to us, details matter.

We’re committed to providing exceptional service to you as you wait to receive your Ingenieur watch. If there is anything we can do to assist you or answer any questions you may have, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team.

Sincerely,
Your IWC team
Old 12 June 2023, 03:21 AM   #380
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

^ maybe take for face value and you on the legit list and maybe it’s even ready soon?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 03:44 AM   #381
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

It’s possible, I did put a deposit down and was registered since Early April. I’m sure I was one of the first people on the list.
Old 13 June 2023, 11:05 PM   #382
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

In Singapore, I finally managed to look at the teal dial live, only the dial. Looks pretty good.
My SA told me production for the teal isn't in full force yet. For Singapore, the VIPs who ordered probably will get towards the end of 2023 while normal customers like myself will probably get it in 2024. :(

then he showed me this as a bonus lol

Old 14 June 2023, 01:40 AM   #383
ISWing
"TRF" Member

When I ordered the aqua dial back in March, I was told it would take 6 to 8 months. I haven’t had an update since then. They did tell me a few people had ordered there’s before me and that the black/aqua was equally the most poplar at the time. I am surprise there haven’t been more white dials out in the wild already as the sales guy thought they would release first.
Old 14 June 2023, 11:23 AM   #384
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

That tourbillion Big Pilot is absolutely stunning! I like that mix of a modern dial in the classic BP. What a cool unique blend.
Old 30 June 2023, 10:37 PM   #385
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

finally the actual watch is here to try. Now I understand why they had PCL on the teal dial. makes the dial pops even more
Dial under certain light, it's almost a black dial, upon reflection, it shows the beautiful sea-green sunburst color
now, it's a waiting game

Old 7 October 2023, 09:04 PM   #386
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Still waiting...
Old 8 October 2023, 01:58 AM   #387
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Delivery started of the aqua Ingenieur. Picked mine up at the end of August.
Old 8 October 2023, 03:55 AM   #388
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Delivery started of the aqua Ingenieur. Picked mine up at the end of August.

Do you love it? Can you see it replacing a Rolex as a daily steel sports watch?

I paid for mine already....
Old 8 October 2023, 10:58 AM   #389
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepro View Post
still waiting...
+1
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 08:54 PM   #390
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Do you love it? Can you see it replacing a Rolex as a daily steel sports watch?

I paid for mine already....

Yes, my prima donna nowadays, no buyer’s remorse for sure. I really love it. It is the first in my collection with an integrated bracelet. Have not worn a Rolex anymore since I got the Ingenieur.