The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 May 2022, 09:37 AM   #361
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
DSW Had a 116500 Panda for $52k just yesterday, today it is $44k. No denying prices are dropping, question is where is the bottom.
I’ve never seen one for 52K. I’ve seen a couple for 50K. White dials. Until they get to be 17K or 20K again I’m not going to be impressed. I believe they will drop though as the economy collapses more.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 19 May 2022, 09:56 AM   #362
messikens
"TRF" Member

For some unknown reason I take pleasure in seeing the prices drop or high "bump" counts with $500-$1000 increment discounts.

I know it's completely irrational (not like I am looking to buy these pieces)... And not meant to insult anyone.

But it's the same as watching incredulously when prices went up by the same amount and sold in an instant 2-3 months ago...

Guess it's nice to be an innocent bystander sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 May 2022, 10:04 AM   #363
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
For some unknown reason I take pleasure in seeing the prices drop or high "bump" counts with $500-$1000 increment discounts.

I know it's completely irrational (not like I am looking to buy these pieces)... And not meant to insult anyone.

But it's the same as watching incredulously when prices went up by the same amount and sold in an instant 2-3 months ago...

Guess it's nice to be an innocent bystander sometimes

Old 19 May 2022, 10:54 AM   #364
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Old 19 May 2022, 10:59 AM   #365
usctrojan99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I have yet to see prices come down significantly on anything. The only thing I’ve seen and I know for a fact is that greys stopped buying (certain references) from flippers for a week. For all I know they’re buying again. This is all depressing because I would love to see all the watch prices come crashing down. Especially Patek and AP. Several references from these two companies are going for over 100K for a freaking stainless steel watch. That’s pure madness and insanity. I guess certain people like to flex. LOL

You're going to see a reset on prices. I don't know how far these drop, but this is just the beginning. Just hold on tight.
Old 19 May 2022, 11:01 AM   #366
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
The situation will only get worse long term.

Guess how much population growth worldwide this year? 30M
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

The steady 1M units/year Rolex production isn't keeping up.
That’s a cool page, I actually just bookmarked it, that’s for showing introducing me to it. Jeeze, 30 million? That’s a mind blowing number. That’s more people than live in my whole state
Old 19 May 2022, 11:05 AM   #367
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
I’ve never seen one for 52K. I’ve seen a couple for 50K. White dials. Until they get to be 17K or 20K again I’m not going to be impressed. I believe they will drop though as the economy collapses more.
They (greys) were asking as much as $55k a month or two ago.
Old 19 May 2022, 12:34 PM   #368
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Not on the greys websites who I buy from or look at. I most certainly haven’t seen AP or Patek drop. I hope it happens in a massive way. If the economy keeps tanking like it is it absolutely will. However I imagine most people even around here will have a lot more things to worry about then if they can buy a Rolex watch at retail.

This is a 45K piece. Lol
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=855364
David sw has a 5712g for $79k. As for the 5726, I think it would be unlikely anyone will buy at that price. Maybe wrong, but plenty for sale with ask <$120k on Chrono24.
Old 19 May 2022, 01:12 PM   #369
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The situation will only get worse long term.

Guess how much population growth worldwide this year? 30M
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

The steady 1M units/year Rolex production isn't keeping up.
Yeah, but if you look at where that population growth is highest, those are countries that probably are also some of the lowest gdp / capita and are a miniscule % of luxury watch sales. The markets probably most important to Rolex like the US, China, EU birth rates are stable or decreasing. Just wait till the effects of the one child policy in China really kick in...
Old 19 May 2022, 02:08 PM   #370
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yes

Quote:
DSW Had a 116500 Panda for $52k just yesterday, today it is $44k. No denying prices are dropping, question is where is the bottom.
I saw this too, I doubt he is taking a hit on it, probably bought a year ago so plenty in it.
Old 19 May 2022, 09:21 PM   #371
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Wonder why DavidSW hasn't changed BLNR prices at all, top one still listed close to $26k. Elsewhere $21k is not hard to find even at prominent greys.
Old 19 May 2022, 09:25 PM   #372
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Quote:
Wonder why DavidSW hasn't changed BLNR prices at all, top one still listed close to $26k. Elsewhere $21k is not hard to find even at prominent greys.
possibly because hes got too much money in the watches? no point in selling at a loss i guess?

Pure speculation of course.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:01 PM   #373
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Yeah, but if you look at where that population growth is highest, those are countries that probably are also some of the lowest gdp / capita and are a miniscule % of luxury watch sales. The markets probably most important to Rolex like the US, China, EU birth rates are stable or decreasing. Just wait till the effects of the one child policy in China really kick in...
A million watches a year is actually a small number.

How many ADs are there, one may wonder? 1816
https://millenarywatches.com/how-man...%20the%20world.

That's only about 500 watches per year, per AD. About 3 new watches coming in every couple days, 10 per week. And out of that trickle we have:
(To make matters worse, some lines have ladies & gents sizes)
- Cellini
- DD
- SD
- OP
- DJ
- AK
- GMT
- Sub
- SD
- YM
- Daytona
- Exp
- Milgauss

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than 'finding' that SS watch of your dreams at the AD. When ADs say they only get a handful of something like a BLNR each year, they're likely speaking the truth.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:38 PM   #374
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:

That's only about 500 watches per year, per AD. About 3 new watches coming in every couple days, 10 per week. And out of that trickle we have:
- Cellini
- DD
- SD
- OP
- DJ
- AK
- GMT
- Sub
- SD
- YM
- Daytona
- Exp
- Milgauss

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than 'finding' that SS watch of your dreams at the AD. When ADs say they only get a handful of something like a BLNR each year, they're likely speaking the truth.
Thank you!!!! Someone with some methodical thinking. I’d also like to add with the ym and exp you have i and ii. And there’s also the 30 70 rule, but idk if that’s fact or rumor (ads are required to sell 70 classic pieces for ever 30 sports pieces they’re allocated)
Old 19 May 2022, 10:45 PM   #375
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Quote:

- Cellini
- DD
- SD
- OP
- DJ
- AK
- GMT
- Sub
- SD
- YM
- Daytona
- Exp
- Milgauss

Good post, interesting and of course youre correct. I suppose the only thing we dont know is how many are made of each item.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:49 PM   #376
JadeRaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: panda boi
Quote:

- Cellini
- DD
- SD
- OP
- DJ
- AK
- GMT
- Sub
- SD
- YM
- Daytona
- Exp
- Milgauss

There's actually something like 1,500-1,600 dealers as of 2022. Rolex has been eliminated over 100 ADs in the past 24mos, in all countries.

Yeah and FWIW the gm of my dealer tells me for any given SS model they may only get half a dozen a year. I believe him.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:53 PM   #377
apinault
Banned

Interesting article yesterday
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/con...tier-and-tudor
Old 19 May 2022, 11:49 PM   #378
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The difference between asking price and negotiated final selling price is the true "tell" in this situation.

This forum seems to have no visibility on this.
Old 20 May 2022, 12:08 AM   #379
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
The difference between asking price and negotiated final selling price is the true "tell" in this situation.

This forum seems to have no visibility on this.
The 'Moda' prices are probably the closest thing to a street price. (However tried to join Moda and Facebook shut down my account - I still maintain that it's a somewhat sketchy forum for most people. I'm not desperate enough to keep pushing that angle.)

Anyway, no one is going to post their OTD prices they negotiated with someone. I would consider it a breach of trust and your neighborhood grey dealer wouldn't appreciate it either. Most people do the right thing and just post a "thumbs up" review for each other and leave it at that.
Old 20 May 2022, 12:32 AM   #380
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Since i started this mess of a thread, figured I would add to it.

I spoke to a friend of mine who works at a big grey dealer and its not good. in short, no one is buying (NO ONE) whereas 12-24 months ago everyone and their mom wanted one of the "hot watches". Now they only get offers to sell and are only offering retail price or slightly above if offering at all ( actually below retail on 11 series black subs, and below msrp on sd43s, dssds, and djs). They have a "glut" of everything sitting around. The word desperate was used in the chat as well.

On a personal note, I am surprised no one really has suggested that in addition to all the wealth destruction around the world right now coupled with the stupidity (dealers included) of the "speculators paradise" that the watch hobby has become, that perhaps some of the novelty of the whole thing has grown tired (think like a fad).

Perhaps added to all this market BS is that people en masse are just moving on to the next thing ie the casual observer of some means who caught the bug to get a rolex bc it was the cool thing of the moment and has a 0% financing offer has gotten their watch and aren't repeat customers?
Old 20 May 2022, 12:33 AM   #381
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- Cellini
- DD
- SD
- OP
- DJ
- AK
- GMT
- Sub
- SD
- YM
- Daytona
- Exp
- Milgauss

I'm not arguing whether a million is a lot or a little, just saying that population increases don't have any significant impact on rolex demand and just throwing out big numbers without context is misleading. If you really want to do maths, that global population increase on a percentage basis is like 1%. I think Rolex can handle a 1% increase in production / year.
Old 20 May 2022, 12:41 AM   #382
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
The 'Moda' prices are probably the closest thing to a street price. (However tried to join Moda and Facebook shut down my account - I still maintain that it's a somewhat sketchy forum for most people. I'm not desperate enough to keep pushing that angle.)

Anyway, no one is going to post their OTD prices they negotiated with someone. I would consider it a breach of trust and your neighborhood grey dealer wouldn't appreciate it either. Most people do the right thing and just post a "thumbs up" review for each other and leave it at that.
On Moda it is amazing (to me at least) how watches and large sums of money are sent back and forth, solely on trust. And based purely on the references of other people on there. I think it is honest because it would soon fall apart if conmen were just pocketing cash and watches. Prices are falling, no doubt. The economy is getting worse. People are getting poorer. I see MSRP as where we are aheading. Seems very hard to believe prices would start going up again with the outlook as it is. When the flippers move on we are back to MSRP from ADs.
Old 20 May 2022, 12:45 AM   #383
Frog7151
"TRF" Member

Watch: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojan99 View Post
You're going to see a reset on prices. I don't know how far these drop, but this is just the beginning. Just hold on tight.
I hope you are right. I just passed on a 126610LN for $12k. I really prefer to purchase from AD if possible.
Old 20 May 2022, 02:10 AM   #384
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanerai12 View Post
Since i started this mess of a thread, figured I would add to it.

I spoke to a friend of mine who works at a big grey dealer and its not good. in short, no one is buying (NO ONE) whereas 12-24 months ago everyone and their mom wanted one of the "hot watches". Now they only get offers to sell and are only offering retail price or slightly above if offering at all ( actually below retail on 11 series black subs, and below msrp on sd43s, dssds, and djs). They have a "glut" of everything sitting around. The word desperate was used in the chat as well.

On a personal note, I am surprised no one really has suggested that in addition to all the wealth destruction around the world right now coupled with the stupidity (dealers included) of the "speculators paradise" that the watch hobby has become, that perhaps some of the novelty of the whole thing has grown tired (think like a fad).

Perhaps added to all this market BS is that people en masse are just moving on to the next thing ie the casual observer of some means who caught the bug to get a rolex bc it was the cool thing of the moment and has a 0% financing offer has gotten their watch and aren't repeat customers?
Thanks for starting the thread and your further insight into the market in this post. I thought things were down and that they had a ways to go. What I did not expect was to read comments like yours. If this is widespread, I am fearful for a lot of people just in general.

I find myself looking at for sale ads and while a lot of the hype watches are the focus of these discussions, I think it’s also worth pointing out that some of the historically lesser desirable watches will likely soon be had at msrp and subsequently back of msrp imo. A couple of observations and then a personal data point.

I have been following watches like exp 1 and 2, dj, air king as well as two tone sports watches. The best of the rest. I think they’ve softened substantially. I believe that if prices are dropping precipitously with “hyped” or highly desirable sports watches (saw a 5167a offered at $60k and sold quickly), then these best of the rest watches will fall off a cliff.

It is said that a high tide raises all ships. The converse is true as well and we are beginning to see the flotsam and jetsam of current market dynamics.

An anecdotal example is this. I reached out to my ad the other day to ask for his advise regarding special purchase for my wife. I was planning on buying jewelry. The idea of a watch was not on my radar. I was offered an exquisite two tone dj. I bought it in a heartbeat. It was such a pleasant surprise. I don’t think this would’ve happened a month or two ago.
Old 20 May 2022, 02:10 AM   #385
RollieWhysohardtoget
"TRF" Member

Many luxury goods slide when talks of recession are in the air. Rolex was used as quick flips and speculators for many years. Most of the prices went up from dealers selling to other dealers before getting to customer wrists.

The bottom is not in yet. I was able to get my wife her first Rolex recently via local family owned, AD that I had no history with, just few months waiting. Even though its only 28mm OP, I was still shocked they got it in for me. I believe Rolex AD will be calling more of us as the flippers are slowly disappearing in downturn economy.

I say in this market stay on sidelines and wait cash heavy for the right opportunity.
Old 20 May 2022, 02:26 AM   #386
apinault
Banned

Davis SW hasn’t budged on his Datejust prices…
Old 20 May 2022, 02:43 AM   #387
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by apinault View Post
Davis SW hasn’t budged on his Datejust prices…
Why should he? They are not super inflated, they are pretty fair to be honest considering MSRP plus tax. The ones that deflate are the ones that had a huge difference between MSRP and asking
Old 20 May 2022, 02:46 AM   #388
apinault
Banned

Quote:
Why should he? They are not super inflated, they are pretty fair to be honest considering MSRP plus tax. The ones that deflate are the ones that had a huge difference between MSRP and asking
$4k over msrp even after factoring in sales tax is still a big premium on a $7,900 watch (current msrp)
Old 20 May 2022, 03:42 AM   #389
ajw45
"TRF" Member

DSW is going to lower prices as slow as his cash flow allows to try to maintain margin. Assume he is a few weeks behind current trading.
Old 20 May 2022, 06:20 AM   #390
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610lv, 124060,
strangely my white gold daytona oysterflex doesn’t seem to be losing value, or the rose gold ones. anything that was double retail seems to be holding, any that were more are dropping down to double.

bad luck for top end pepsi and steel daytona owners.

Closed Thread