The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2017, 08:18 AM   #361
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
A lot of audiophiles like the DAC that iDevices used in the past, apparently it was quite accurate without any house curves added. However you had to use headphones that the iDevice amp sections were capable of driving. That said, many folks to have dedicated DAC's and amps for their at-home wired headphones.

I'm with you on the Bluetooth headphones. The newest Beats Bluetooth in-ear monitors are actually pretty good.
The Wolfson DACs that were in the earlier Apple devices are excellent. It's why I kept my iPod Classic.

I think the iPhone 5S was the last iPhone with the Wolfson DAC... it's said to be the best sounding phone Apple ever made. I wish I had one.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 08:20 AM   #362
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Serious question. Do serious audiophiles even use a phone as their music device? Somebody who really cares about high fidelity would have a dedicated home setup, no? Listening to music on your phone is for when you are out and about...hardly the place to sit down and really concentrate on the sound.

I am happy some some good quality Bluetooth headphones.
I guess my problem is that I invested in a decent pair of in-ears for work... I'm by no means a real audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to music when I need to go into the zone and good sound quality means a lot to me. Also, in my line of work I may have to go into that zone for days if not for weeks when I'm documenting requirements. So for me, it's vital. But for some reason my in-ears cut out because the iPhone after about an hour of listening to music throws a prompt that the lightening adapter cannot be recognized and is not supported. And it's an Apple adapter too. From a user experience perspective, I just want it to work and be simple.

Old 30 September 2017, 12:21 PM   #363
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hi guys.... My iP8 update: I do like my phone, albeit it is slightly larger than my 5s, the latter size I prefer.

Since I upgraded from a 5s to an 8, had intolerable incompatibility software issues... a "hosed" apple password (for some unexplainable reason ) necessitating waiting 24 hrs for Apple to send new password instructions which required another hour to take effect, screen freezing, unable to swipe consistently and typed words vanishing, outbox smtp.live.com disabled......

Had to invest in a 6 hr session with (thankfully) an absolutely awesome Apple tech (3rd one, first 2 not experienced) who finally was able to, over internet miles, erase and restore 8 code with my transferred data intact from the 5s. What an experience!

The tech did say I was the second person he encountered with issues such as mine with the recent new phones so far. But overall, he said most of his call center assists were simple fixes/questions and the 8 performance has not yet had a lot of major complaints.

My fault...Definitely an issue to hold onto a phone for years while newer versions pass by... my lesson learned re: code incompatibility issues.

Also, the thing that has to be avoided unless you really need to initiate it, concerns the two buttons (volume down and power) held simultaneously that immediately trigger 9 1 1 calls. The first two techs, requesting access to my phone, had no clue access functionality changed for the iP8, which caused calling emergency 3 times because they did not believe I was following their instructions....

Hopefully, I'm back to smiling about my new purchase without any further software issues. Have a great day, all!
DM
Sorry that you had a few issues with you new IP8. Hopefully they have been worked out by now.

But BTW the Apple Store does have how-to classes for iPhone, iPad and Mac computers.
That should be better than the iPhone how to classes at Verzion, ATT And other carriers.

Here's a link and you can scroll through the options. Plus, they should be options that are in your local area, too.

https://www.apple.com/today/event/ph...7660713963405/
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 02:03 PM   #364
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
USALV
Thank you very much for your help... I will check out the apple link.
Phone seems to have settled down; however, getting used to the home button that is not as sensitive as the one on the 5s.
Cheers, DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 10:20 AM   #365
BBL
"TRF" Member

If anyone is interested in the differences in photo quality between the iP8 and iP7, click link, and scroll down 1/2 page....

https://gizmodo.com/one-week-with-th...e-8-1818736319
Old 1 October 2017, 11:00 PM   #366
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
USALV
Thank you very much for your help... I will check out the apple link.
Phone seems to have settled down; however, getting used to the home button that is not as sensitive as the one on the 5s.
Cheers, DM
DM!

You're welcome. Happy to help. That's good that your Phone has settled down. The IP7 and IP8 doesn't have a real physical button like the IP5s did, Apple changed the home button in order to improve the waterproofing for IP7 and IPH8 what's why I think it has decreased it's sensitive. Enjoy your new IP8.
Old 1 October 2017, 11:18 PM   #367
USALV
"TRF" Member

Here's a link to a YouTube video that was shot in 4K 60fps. It looks really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFmSm5l8gE
Old 2 October 2017, 12:21 AM   #368
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by USALV View Post
DM!

You're welcome. Happy to help. That's good that your Phone has settled down. The IP7 and IP8 doesn't have a real physical button like the IP5s did, Apple changed the home button in order to improve the waterproofing for IP7 and IPH8 what's why I think it has decreased it's sensitive. Enjoy your new IP8.
The original home button had a reputation for failing too, so no bad thing it done away with.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 04:34 AM   #369
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I guess my problem is that I invested in a decent pair of in-ears for work... I'm by no means a real audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to music when I need to go into the zone and good sound quality means a lot to me. Also, in my line of work I may have to go into that zone for days if not for weeks when I'm documenting requirements. So for me, it's vital. But for some reason my in-ears cut out because the iPhone after about an hour of listening to music throws a prompt that the lightening adapter cannot be recognized and is not supported. And it's an Apple adapter too. From a user experience perspective, I just want it to work and be simple.
That makes sense. I guess I would be frustrated too if I invested in a decent pair of non-wireless headphones.

Have you thought about investing in some bluetooth headphones? Most nicer bluetooth headphones are over-ear or on-ear, but I think companies are starting to come out with decent in-ear ones.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 04:37 AM   #370
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
The original home button had a reputation for failing too, so no bad thing it done away with.
Oh I see. Thanks. I don't mind the current version of the home button on my iphone 7 .
Old 2 October 2017, 05:54 AM   #371
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I like to change my phone every other year and I now want to replace my 6S+. I'd love an X but the completely new form factor and the thought of it being full of bugs makes me want to wait until the XS comes out near. I'm seriously thinking of an 8+ now and the OLED next year. Or maybe just squeeze another year out of my 6S+

I have a 6+ ,i won t replace it until Apple offers any reasonable new feature somehow I feel controlling the POO emoji with my face isn t the one I need

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 07:03 AM   #372
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
I have a 6+ ,i won t replace it until Apple offers any reasonable new feature somehow I feel controlling the POO emoji with my face isn t the one I need

very true
Old 2 October 2017, 09:41 PM   #373
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB16610lv
Iam an Android guy, happy with my Galaxy s8+ and there was no need to stand on a cure.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk
Ouro9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 11:16 PM   #374
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
LOL very true. I am on a 6 and refresh my phone every two new ones (skipped the 7 and 8), so the X is it for me.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 11:29 AM   #375
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
I picked up the 7 plus last year. I want the X. But the second gen. A lot of new tech that could go buggy. That and I’m less motivated to upgrade. Unlike when the iPhone first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I heard that Apple may release the Iphone X in the Plus size, too.
Old 9 October 2017, 08:06 PM   #376
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Finally took the plunge upgrading my wife’s iPhone 5 and my iPhone 6 with an 8 and 8 plus.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 09:38 PM   #377
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
That makes sense. I guess I would be frustrated too if I invested in a decent pair of non-wireless headphones.

Have you thought about investing in some bluetooth headphones? Most nicer bluetooth headphones are over-ear or on-ear, but I think companies are starting to come out with decent in-ear ones.
I was looking at Apple wireless earpods but they seem to be a hit or miss with my OnePlus 5, not worth risking the €180. I still have a 3.5mm jack so I opted with a pair of Shure Se215 in-ear monitors.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 02:19 PM   #378
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Finally took the plunge upgrading my wife’s iPhone 5 and my iPhone 6 with an 8 and 8 plus.

Very nice. I hope you enjoy are new IPhones.
Old 11 October 2017, 11:57 PM   #379
BBL
"TRF" Member

It never ends.......

iOS 11.0.2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#77d8464860e4
Old 12 October 2017, 01:25 PM   #380
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
iOS 11.0.3

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/11/ios-11-0-3/
Old 14 October 2017, 10:54 AM   #381
USALV
"TRF" Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/tech...s-12275684.php

Face ID technology will come to all iPhones in 2018.
Old 14 October 2017, 11:59 AM   #382
Laszlo

My Surface 4 Pro has Face ID and it actually works really well. Sometimes I wear glasses and it recognizes me without an issue, and then sometimes I'll wear some glasses and a hat, and although it takes a little longer, it recognizes me without an issue at all. It's going to be the norm across all platforms. I think MSFT has incorporated this technology commercially for a few years now. So Apple shouldn't have a problem since it's already been tested and used in the wild for some time now.

Old 15 October 2017, 07:17 AM   #383
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
My Surface 4 Pro has Face ID and it actually works really well. Sometimes I wear glasses and it recognizes me without an issue, and then sometimes I'll wear some glasses and a hat, and although it takes a little longer, it recognizes me without an issue at all. It's going to be the norm across all platforms. I think MSFT has incorporated this technology commercially for a few years now. So Apple shouldn't have a problem since it's already been tested and used in the wild for some time now.
That's Really good to hear. Thank you.
Old 15 October 2017, 06:27 PM   #384
USALV
"TRF" Member

Iphone x in the wild.

https://twitter.com/VenyaGeskin1/sta...78445222002688
Old 15 October 2017, 08:30 PM   #385
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALV View Post
The iPhone X is wildin it out in the wild! I can’t wait. Less than two weeks away till we can preorder one.

I’m going for silver. I like the white glass back and silver stainless steel bezel combo. I’ve had a few white iPhones (4S and 5). The white border around the screen drew me back to the black iPhones. Not with the X though. No white borders.
Old 15 October 2017, 09:18 PM   #386
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
The iPhone X is wildin it out in the wild! I can’t wait. Less than two weeks away till we can preorder one.

I’m going for silver. I like the white glass back and silver stainless steel bezel combo. I’ve had a few white iPhones (4S and 5). The white border around the screen drew me back to the black iPhones. Not with the X though. No white borders.
I quite like the white, when I have had iPhones I found that white didn't show fingerprints as badly as the black. I haven't had one since the iPhone 5S, this may be the one that entices me back, I will wait to see others opinions before I make up my final decision.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:30 PM   #387
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I quite like the white, when I have had iPhones I found that white didn't show fingerprints as badly as the black. I haven't had one since the iPhone 5S, this may be the one that entices me back, I will wait to see others opinions before I make up my final decision.
Come on back to iPhone

Pic borrowed from internet:

This silver/white is smokin
Old 16 October 2017, 05:32 AM   #388
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
X is wildin it out in the wild! I can’t wait. Less than two weeks away till we can preorder one.

Haha. The iPhone x sure been doing just that.

I agree. I think the silver will look really good. I can't wait to hear your feedback when you get your iPhone x.

Here's another link

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...x_in_the_wild/
Old 16 October 2017, 05:41 AM   #389
clock
Banned

What’s the best bet to ensure pre-ordering the X? Call Apple or ones carrier at 3am EST 10/27?
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 05:55 AM   #390
SearChart
TechXpert

Having recently bought a phone with amoled display I must say it's a lot more vibrant than ips LCD, to all future X owners: you'll be in for a treat
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote