The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2018, 01:12 AM   #361
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
it's not going to stop.

i honestly cant even keep up with the news but it just keeps coming.

i have put more $ in this morning based on that Beacon report though.
So if you were putting more money in right now, which would you pick?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:12 AM   #362
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Some crazy returns in less than a week. 50% and 22% respectively.
Yeah. Pretty nuts man.

Fun to watch.

Old 10 January 2018, 01:21 AM   #363
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Yeah. Pretty nuts man.

Fun to watch.
And I was late to the party!
Hope it keeps going for everyone!
Old 10 January 2018, 01:24 AM   #364
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i did what the report recommended. honestly it only validated what i had in mind anyways. Entered THCX and averaged up on VFF and NINE.
bing240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:26 AM   #365
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
And I was late to the party!
Hope it keeps going for everyone!
I am up 77% on the first one I bought.

Unreal. I purchased a bunch more later. Up 20%+ or way more on those as well.

My question is where can this go? I realize that the industry is just getting started, but all the reports I see show a target price. Will these blow past the targets on hype? Will they just keep going up? Or will they level off at some point? Are these long term holds? I am figuring they must be.

I am also questioning if I should buy more. And if so, which one. This is some ride. Is this just the beginning still?

Old 10 January 2018, 01:29 AM   #366
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Seth based upon the previous page of this thread page 12 I bought Maricann ticker symbol MRRCF at the opening bell. Up over % 8.00 at the moment. It was a cheap buy and could get a bunch more shares in. Read up on the company. Seemed solid.

Please wait for the more knowledgeable though.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 01:40 AM   #367
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Seth based upon the previous page of this thread page 12 I bought Maricann ticker symbol MRRCF at the opening bell. Up over % 8.00 at the moment. It was a cheap buy and could get a bunch more shares in. Read up on the company. Seemed solid.

Please wait for the more knowledgeable though.
Thanks Tom. Appreciate the info.

I think I am making a decision to sit back right now and just wait. No more in, and taking nothing out. I am just getting caught up in the hype and I need to settle down.

Clearly, compared to some of the big boys of this thread, I am just getting my training wheels on.

But what I have invested so far is worth almost a used Platona. That is a lot for me to invest in one industry. Most of my money is invested with an FA so I just do this hoping to a nice hit.

I kid you not, based on current profits, I could leave now and erase all the money I lost due to watch flipping over the years. Thanks TRF!! And Bing and M!!!

But I am going to stick it out and see what may come out of all of this. Especially through the summer and until the end of the year.

Old 10 January 2018, 01:49 AM   #368
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Thanks Tom. Appreciate the info.

I think I am making a decision to sit back right now and just wait. No more in, and taking nothing out. I am just getting caught up in the hype and I need to settle down.

Clearly, compared to some of the big boys of this thread, I am just getting my training wheels on.

But what I have invested so far is worth almost a used Platona. That is a lot for me to invest in one industry. Most of my money is invested with an FA so I just do this hoping to a nice hit.

I kid you not, based on current profits, I could leave now and erase all the money I lost due to watch flipping over the years. Thanks TRF!! And Bing and M!!!

But I am going to stick it out and see what may come out of all of this. Especially through the summer and until the end of the year.
Good call Bro. Smart. I'm gonna chill too but I'm definitely holding through the summer. These companies are expanding to Europe and with the restrictions on exporting for US companies are going to corner the market.

Its like owning Budweiser at the end of prohibition.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 03:52 AM   #369
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

The Cannabis Industry will trade up, down, up, down, up, up ,up. There will be some volatility, but if you chose quality companies, and maintain comfortable hold levels, then lots of money will be made. If you get in too heavy, the volatility will likely shake you out at some point, and you will kick yourself later on for getting scared out of it when it marches higher without you. It is the curse of over-concentration. Commit what you feel comfortable risking in the sector, and you’ll feel more comfortable with the daily ups and downs.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:00 AM   #370
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Im usually looking for a drop to buy and then hold until I feel the stock made enough for me to walk away with a profit.

I wonder how much money was pumped into these stocks only because of this thread :)
Old 10 January 2018, 04:06 AM   #371
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Glad this thread was started. I live in CO and think there is a lot of potential for this industry but didn't know Canada had embraced it as it had.

I put some play money in (0.016%) from our rainy day fund in mid-December and am having fun watching it run up. I've doubled that investment so far (3 1/2 weeks) and wish I could put in a stop loss order, but it appears in the US these are trading as penny stocks.

Thought about cashing out and buying myself a Snoopy Speedmaster, but I'm going to let it ride and hope that in a year, we can cash out for an amazing vacation and possibly fund a his/hers watch set for Christmas.
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:09 AM   #372
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
The Cannabis Industry will trade up, down, up, down, up, up ,up. There will be some volatility, but if you chose quality companies, and maintain comfortable hold levels, then lots of money will be made. If you get in too heavy, the volatility will likely shake you out at some point, and you will kick yourself later on for getting scared out of it when it marches higher without you. It is the curse of over-concentration. Commit what you feel comfortable risking in the sector, and you’ll feel more comfortable with the daily ups and downs.
Good advice again. Thanks.

I’m in it to win it right now. Giving myself a good solid year. At least. Then I’ll reevaluate depending on how things are looking.

This will also allow me to avoid short term capital gains on any profits.

Old 10 January 2018, 05:11 AM   #373
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Whats a better purchase at this time hydropothecary or maricann?
Old 10 January 2018, 05:13 AM   #374
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it's not going to stop.

i honestly cant even keep up with the news but it just keeps coming.

i have put more $ in this morning based on that Beacon report though.
I picked up some CannTrust today, primarily due to the report, as well. I tend to favor those companies with lower cost of production and who are already near/at profitability. Wish I had bought more Aphria on the dip this morning towards $17.20 (US), now $18.50.

Can’t catch them all, but always good to keep some dry powder available for crazy dips like today. Was up $180k on the day in early AM, then down $50k about an hour later, now back up $60k. Takes a solid stomach to keep it all in stride, hence my note about having a sustainable hold levels in high quality cos. At this point, I only hold Aphria, Hydropothecary, and now CannTrust Holdings. All three have some nice competitive advantages (lower cost providers, joint ventures/alliances, fully-financed expansions coming online in Summer or Fall 2018, near monopoly status in home province - in case of Hydropothecary).

I like these three companies at their current valuations. Tend to think Aurora is overvalued, and Canopy is a bit rich too, but hard to talk down the Amazon of Weed. Lots of other lesser quality companies are riding the top 5-6 companies’ cost tails. Eventually, true quality will matter.
Old 10 January 2018, 08:56 AM   #375
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
I picked up some CannTrust today, primarily due to the report, as well.
Funny you mention them today. I was just about to buy some of their shares. CannTrust is the dispensary company that has recently been filling my wife's prescriptions. I've spent a lot of time talking to their customer service group over the past 6 months. They are knowledgeable and very helpful. When we place an order online it arrives within 24 hrs without fail.

As a patient she has access to her subscribing clinic's web site where we can search for specific products, availability & pricing across all of the licensed growers and dispensary companies. Doing this on a regular basis I can attest that they are always the lowest priced dispensary. 2 other very important things with them are uninterrupted product availability and additional discounting for return customers. We've experienced availability issues with other dispensaries. They also offer a dry bud with the highest CBD level we have found anywhere. This is a extremely important product for pain relief.

By the way if anyone following this thread has any questions about the clinic/dispensary experience or process part of this market I can certainly answer a lot of questions. My wife's been a patient for over a year now.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:19 AM   #376
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Aphria is up 4.20% today...... its a sign

Here's to a good earnings report tomorrow!
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:22 AM   #377
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
A report from CA and the recreational market.

Went to see first hand the business at one of the 12 places in town that were awarded licenses. The line was out the door and down the street. The clientele was as diverse as any group you would see in an airport. The products were plentiful, service was fast and the people were knowledgeable.

I took some pictures but I'm not quite sure if TRF will allow me to post them or not even tough it is a legal business now. https://urbnleaf.com/

The bottom line is the public in CA is enthusiastic about this, business is going to continue to grow and the stocks in this sector will too.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...101-story.html

PS- Didn't get filled on my limit order to buy of Aphria at $17.05 today!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #378
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
After reading all these posts I had to jump in today hope I didn't buy at the top

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 11:34 AM   #379
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
So any idea how the earnings report will be? And what affect this will have on pricing for tomorrow and the next day?
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 11:37 AM   #380
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

There certainly does need to be a pull-back but hard to say when and by how much and whether it will impact everyone or just the more speculative companies who are further away from revenues and profits.

This isn't the top even in the short term.

All of the major provinces still need to announce their supply agreements. Note that this is as if all of the weed being sold in California had to pass through the state government first and they had to select and announce the suppliers.

Even in Alberta, which is allowing private retail, the retailers are still going to buy through the provincially run wholesaler; this is how it works for alcohol. 99% of Alcohol in Ontario is sold through the government run stores with some exceptions for wineries and some grocers.

As as you can imagine, these announcements are the catalysts that everyone is waiting for. They are probably the most significant de-risking events for each of the winners. The announcements are supposed to start rolling out as soon as the end of January. Each province will most certainly favor the companies producing and employing people in their province. That is why THCX (Quebec) and NINE (Manitoba) are recommended in the Beacon report; each are the primary producer in their respective provinces and the supply agreement with the province is not thought to be priced-in yet.

There are also a number of other large catalysts due in the short term but rather than be exhaustive about it just snoop that report from Beacon i posted. It will give you the outlook you want.

After all of the short-term catalysts you may see a notable sell-off but people will just roll back in as recreational is legalized and then the real winners will begin to emerge and separate from the pack.

It is also expected that the big guys will continue to consolidate. There were tweets from insiders today that big alcohol is about to make another move into the space as well. Lots can happen.
Old 10 January 2018, 11:58 AM   #381
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Thanks Bing240sx for posting the link to the Beacon report. It was actually quite good. It reflected my own thoughts and timing on the wave of rallies and sell-offs leading up to the rec launch. Totally agree that all boats are rising now, but the cream will rise to the top, and it’s hard to imagine a scenario where the big 4-5 don’t tie down a meaningful amount of provincial supply agreements, plus the Shoppers Drug Mart licensing coming through for Aphria and MedReleaf. The objective for all cannabis investors is to choose company investments by quality and stability, not by cheap share prices/rumors. Lots of newbies get sucked into buying more shares of lower priced securities and shying away from more expensive higher priced companies. Human nature to look for some sort of leverage, but want to remind folks to seek out quality. The Beacon was pretty clear about the upcoming catalysts per company. If you see an update, please do post it for those living across the border. Thanks, Brother!
Old 11 January 2018, 12:15 AM   #382
jcr847
Banned

Vic just made a sweet swiss watch reference, lol.

I'm a little disappointed in APH's cost per gram increases. Hopefully they're truly temporary (I would welcome some of the more knowledgeable posters giving their take on this - I dont know enough about the grow process to understand the old plant explanation fully).

I was a bit late to this party but have taken positions in APH, WEED, THCX, MARI and TGIF (wanted some US exposure). I had some ACB but sold because that valuation got silly IMHO. If anything, I want to increase my exposure to THCX - I love their geographic advantages and like the CEO. I would be amazed if Quebec didn't want Quebec sourced product. I expect that MOU shortly.

I love the overall story and growth potential for the industry. I am a bit overweight in the sector now, based on where I'd like to end up, but am hoping to take some profit in the next 6 months or so and then settle in for a long hold.

I am definitely long on the industry. I appreciate how you could view these valuations as excessive relative to the Canadian adult market; however, pharma and global opportunities make the valuations a bit more understandable (still not cheap but I don't think they're crazy when you contemplate the total opportunity).
jcr847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:32 AM   #383
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Does anyone have an opinion on GLDFF
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:59 AM   #384
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520Matt View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on GLDFF
clearly the US cultivators are under-valued compared to the Canadian ones by a large margin but also with good reason.

there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty about how these companies can operate across states. With Golden Leaf they acquired a company in WA but arent allowed to integrate it completely due to WA laws not allowing out of state ownership.

then you have the many complications from cannabis not being fed legal.

obviously, in the long term the US companies represent a huge opportunity but i dont think you're missing out by waiting to hold them.

i plan to shift profits into marapharm, ianthus, terra tech, liberty health, MPX etc. at some point but they all have a history of running up and then people getting tired of waiting. I believe MJardin announced plans to go public and New Hampshire also passed legislation to go rec legal this week... so more clear signs of what is to come
Old 11 January 2018, 02:58 AM   #385
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
clearly the US cultivators are under-valued compared to the Canadian ones by a large margin but also with good reason.

there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty about how these companies can operate across states. With Golden Leaf they acquired a company in WA but arent allowed to integrate it completely due to WA laws not allowing out of state ownership.

then you have the many complications from cannabis not being fed legal.

obviously, in the long term the US companies represent a huge opportunity but i dont think you're missing out by waiting to hold them.

i plan to shift profits into marapharm, ianthus, terra tech, liberty health, MPX etc. at some point but they all have a history of running up and then people getting tired of waiting. I believe MJardin announced plans to go public and New Hampshire also passed legislation to go rec legal this week... so more clear signs of what is to come
Coincidentally, I bought some Liberty Health this morning for my long-term U.S. play. I feel good knowing they are 38% owned by Aphria.
Old 11 January 2018, 06:16 AM   #386
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

oh for sure, if you have a multi-year timeline you'll kill it with the US plays.

i'm going to ride the canadian wave a little longer though.

was involved in an exchange today with someone who has done about as well as you have in the space over the last year and a bit and he was extremely bullish on TGIF out of the US.

APH CEO on BNN today: https://www.bnn.ca/aphria-stands-by-...hreat-1.964321
Old 11 January 2018, 08:11 AM   #387
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

The company that brought us the first Marijuana ETF, horizons (HMMJ) is about to launch a juniors ETF that will launch on an exchange that allows it to hold US companies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com//glo...ticle37554569/

This will be a volume catalyst for the US cultivators. Might have to being spreading into the US before this goes live.

*edit, there is a paywall, here is the text:

Quote:
CLARE O’HARA
WEALTH MANAGEMENT REPORTER
UPDATED JANUARY 10, 2018 FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Investors looking to jump into pot stocks may soon be able to do so with an additional Canadian-listed exchange traded fund that focuses on the marijuana industry.

Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc. has filed a preliminary prospectus with regulators in hopes of launching a second marijuana-focused fund. It is looking to capture small-cap companies in the industry with the Horizons Marijuana Juniors ETF.

If approved, this will only be the second marijuana-focused ETF launched globally.

Horizons launched its first marijuana-focused ETF- the Horizons Marijuana Life Sciences Index ETF - last April. The fund, which goes by the ticker HMMJ- saw more than $100-million (Canadian) in assets under management (AUM) within the first month. It currently has $790-million in AUM.

Similar to HMMJ, the new fund will not come cheap with a management fee of 0.85 per cent.

With the ticker HMJR, the Horizons Marijuana Juniors ETF seeks to replicate the performance of the Solactive Junior Marijuana Growers Index. The Underlying Index is designed to provide exposure to the performance of a basket of primarily North American publicly-listed small-capitalization companies primarily involved in the cultivation, production, and/or distribution of marijuana.

This could include companies such as Marapharm Ventures Inc..

"With the growth of the industry we have seen many new companies come online from a capital markets perspective which allowed us to create an ETF that is going to be exclusively focused on marijuana producers and growers, " says Steve Hawkins, president and co-chief executive officer at Horizons ETFs . "So this fund – unlike HMMJ- will not include the bio-pharmaceutical and ancillary businesses of the sector."

Similar to the gold sector in the United States, where there is the VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) and the VanEck Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ), HMJR will focus more on small-cap, early stage marijuana companies.

"We believe this is an area that has significant growth prospects and where investors are looking for more specialized investment options," says Mr. Hawkins.

If approved, HMJR will launch on the NEO exchange - another difference to Horizons' first fund HMMJ which launched on the Toronto Stock Exchange. One reason for the switch is to allow for the inclusion of more Canadian listed operations that do a significant amount of business in the U.S.

In October, the TSX formally banned marijuana firms that breach U.S. federal drug laws from listing on its market. It is now reviewing its existing issuers and says it will delist any found to be offside its rules.

As a result, HMMJ doesn't include shares of cannabis firms that do most of their business in the U.S. market, where the drug is legal in certain states but illegal under federal law.
reporting eligible holdings:

Abcann
Delta9
Emblem
Hydropothecary
ICC Labs
Marapharm (only US one)
Maricann
WeedMD

https://www.bnn.ca/video/horizons-pl...rs-etf~1300751
Old 12 January 2018, 02:27 AM   #388
Mick8moses
Banned

Just took a look at the market - what's driving the dip?
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:55 AM   #389
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
It's still up compared to Friday.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:08 AM   #390
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick8moses View Post
Just took a look at the market - what's driving the dip?
Some profit taking after such a large run up. Nothing more. Several good catalysts are on the horizon though, so try to hang in there. Going to volatile, as in, not straight up everyday, but the prevailing trend is higher, especially the closer we get to Summer.