The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #361
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Yeah.....we don't have a 'blame culture' here.
(Whose fault is that?)

Just out of interest, who would you blame for this, disease and it's spread
out of the immediate area, after the initial discovery and outbreak?
Shit happens.

Literally?

I know. It's batshit crazy.

We are a connected world.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:01 AM   #362
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
Yeah.....we don't have a 'blame culture' here.
(Whose fault is that?)

Just out of interest, who would you blame for this, disease and it's spread
out of the immediate area, after the initial discovery and outbreak?
Were the first couple of weeks handled perfectly? Maybe not, but then we will never know for sure what happened as this will never be fully disclosed. However very little was known about teh seriousness then. However by the time it hit Europe enough was know to act more proactively than was done. The same for many other major countries. But too many waited to see what happens. Too many valued their portfolios or votes to listen to what they were being told by teams of people employed to deal with this very eventuality.

If the source is bats, they are now outlawed completely along with most exotic animals in China. They were discovered a few years ago to be major carriers of coronaviruses by the recently disbanded Predict team, who probably never considered people would actually eat them! The pity is chickens and pigs have proved to be just as good at transmitting mutated viruses to us in the recent past. We seem to still like eating them.

Who do I blame? People. Not bats.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:02 AM   #363
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I have a feeling California is going to begin soon experimenting with the lessening of the lockdown.

As I mentioned yesterday Sonoma County north of San Francisco has since the beginning had people out walking, bike riding etc BUT doing the social distancing thing and some wearing masks in controlled stores (ones with control of crowds and protected employees) which there are quite a lot of. My wife bought a new phone the other day. Only one person at a time in the store etc.

It appears that a mandate is starting to go around to wear masks in any public space that puts you within a few feet of other people.

I believe we are going to get a slow return to SOME workplace activity that will include the masks and distancing to some extent
. I'm guessing this is an experiment to see the spikes in the infection rate, to see if returning to the workplace is viable and to test if the concept that people have already been exposed and have some immunity.

As a controlled experiment this is probably a good idea.

Obviously high risk people should not be included and schools will still be closed.
Imagine if the US had started with a cover your face hole campaign, say, 2months ago?

Instead it was a convoluted and imho, disingenuous narrative, that was feed to the people, which means that some areas will have to FORCE mask compliance to get the opinion (that was seeded earlier by said bad narrative) to reverse.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:04 AM   #364
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Apparently.

Though, the more I look around, the more I realize it’s not just here.

Check out a car forum. Or yahoo news comments. Or any comments section anywhere. Everyone knows everything.

It’s really pretty amazing actually.

It makes me think I should simply stop talking and listen only.
Yes. It is amazing.

Here's the problem Seth. You and I do not always agree, but I credit you with at least as much common sense (and perhaps more) as myself and the other opposing views I respect on this forum, not to mention in the media. If you stop talking that will be one less common sense and sometimes opposing viewpoint for others to consider.

But your point is well taken. This is a watch forum for goodness sake.

Stay safe.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:06 AM   #365
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Imagine if the US had started with a cover your face hole campaign, say, 2months ago?

Instead it was a convoluted and imho, disingenuous narrative, that was feed to the people, which means that some areas will have to FORCE mask compliance to get the opinion (that was seeded earlier by said bad narrative) to reverse.
Yup. But it's old news now.

And don't forget the number of people led by some media types that said the whole thing was a hoax.

So now, we're at the "don't fix the blame, but instead fix the problem" stage I guess.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:08 AM   #366
Brew
"TRF" Member

I find it a whole bunch easier to avoid fixing blame, when those who are responsible stand up as such.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:15 AM   #367
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I find it a whole bunch easier to avoid fixing blame, when those who are responsible stand up as such.
But we know that ain't gonna happen, so that solution has to be achieved in a different "venue".
Old 15 April 2020, 12:18 AM   #368
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
How does the Corona Virus pandemic end?

Quote:

Imagine if China contained the virus.

We can imagine a lot, it’s always easy playing Monday quarterback
Old 15 April 2020, 12:20 AM   #369
Brew
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Hollie_Rollie;10538753]Imagine if China contained their virus.
/QUOTE]

This is a political statement that is not helpful, or accurate.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:23 AM   #370
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
[QUOTE=Brew;10538763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Imagine if China contained their virus.
/QUOTE]

This is a political statement that is not helpful, or accurate.

I fixed it for you!
Old 15 April 2020, 12:27 AM   #371
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But we know that ain't gonna happen, so that solution has to be achieved in a different "venue".
Indeed.

Sorry for my delayed response, I had to take out some trash.
Old 15 April 2020, 12:29 AM   #372
Amazing Lady
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:

Old 15 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #373
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Yes. It is amazing.

Here's the problem Seth. You and I do not always agree, but I credit you with at least as much common sense (and perhaps more) as myself and the other opposing views I respect on this forum, not to mention in the media. If you stop talking that will be one less common sense and sometimes opposing viewpoint for others to consider.

But your point is well taken. This is a watch forum for goodness sake.

Stay safe.
thanks brother. right back at you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 15 April 2020, 01:11 AM   #374
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post
Were the first couple of weeks handled perfectly? Maybe not, but then we will never know for sure what happened as this will never be fully disclosed. However very little was known about teh seriousness then. However by the time it hit Europe enough was know to act more proactively than was done. The same for many other major countries. But too many waited to see what happens. Too many valued their portfolios or votes to listen to what they were being told by teams of people employed to deal with this very eventuality.

If the source is bats, they are now outlawed completely along with most exotic animals in China. They were discovered a few years ago to be major carriers of coronaviruses by the recently disbanded Predict team, who probably never considered people would actually eat them! The pity is chickens and pigs have proved to be just as good at transmitting mutated viruses to us in the recent past. We seem to still like eating them.

Who do I blame? People. Not bats.
I hoped, in vain, that Tiger Penises, Pangolin scales and Civet spleens etc, etc, could ALL shown to be responsible. Then maybe the we might save a few of our rarest creatures from extinction, and in doing so also expunge some of the witchdoctory that persists in 'Chinese medicine'.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #375
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sure, that would be nice. But it was never going to happen. The scale of the problem and shut down was only realised after the Chinese New Year migration had started. Hundreds of millions of people on the move for 3 weeks. 1.5 million from Hubei province has already left on international holidays by the time the doors closed. China is very much an international country now. It is also far more aware of how bad things can get than the west, and how to act than the west because of SARS. As does Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan. How much worse would it have been of these countries didn't shutdown and 60% of 1.4 billion had it at a 10% or more death rate?

Do you really think the US, UK, Spain, Italy or most other countries would have moved faster and more effectively than China, given how we have watched them dither about in the last few months when they actually KNEW it existed and were told it is coming.

Really, people stop blaming anyone else you can find so you don't have to look internally.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:17 AM   #376
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Sorry, but that is unacceptable. I have been an advocate of face coverings since DAY 1 of this #$%##$^.

Face coverings were / are an easy way to mitigate spread and the advice was not given due to ???

The playbook to deal with the virus was played on loop over and over and over again on the news from Asia during the early days. Wear Masks in public.

Rather than say...hey that's a good idea, even a scarf would be helpful...it was seen and responded to from a contrarian view and that was a mistake.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #377
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hoped, in vain, that Tiger Penises, Pangolin scales and Civet spleens etc, etc, could ALL shown to be responsible. Then maybe the we might save a few of our rarest creatures from extinction, and in doing so also expunge some of the witchdoctory that persists in 'Chinese medicine'.
That trade will be illegal now. Much of it wasn't before, but a blind eye was probably paid for. But after this, I can see a change in altitudes. My current home Shenzhen has finally made eating cats and dogs illegal too.

Other attitudes are shifting too. I have only seen two people publically spitting in the last month. Usually it is regular sight.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:25 AM   #378
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, but that is unacceptable. I have been an advocate of face coverings since DAY 1 of this #$%##$^.

Face coverings were / are an easy way to mitigate spread and the advice was not given due to ???

The playbook to deal with the virus was played on loop over and over and over again on the news from Asia during the early days. Wear Masks in public.

Rather than say...hey that's a good idea, even a scarf would be helpful...it was seen and responded to from a contrarian view and that was a mistake.
Agreed. It helps in a really simple way: it stops you touching your face.

It also reminds you constantly that you are not wandering around in a normal environment, so you are less likely to get complacent and touch doors and lift buttons with you hands, etc.

I'm wearing one 12 - 14 hours a day. It's a pain (behind the ears), but if I don't I can't go out, go to work, shop, eat out. This is after the lockdown is lifted where I live.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:46 AM   #379
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I'm not even sure that a blitz campaign to enlighten people would have worked.

You have a massive swath of the population that has been indoctrinated to not believe in science. Who believe in cynical people who make millions spreading rumors and outrageous theories.

You have politicians who have agendas and legacies to worry about, and businesses who were in denial about the extent of the damage.

So to say "we could have done better" is probably true but we are essentially in uncharted waters and if we get through this relatively unscathed on a percentage of deaths, we'll definitely do better next time.

I get the outrage, but getting a country to do anything when they all listen to different voices is a bit of a stretch.
Old 15 April 2020, 01:52 AM   #380
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Apparently.

Though, the more I look around, the more I realize it’s not just here.

Check out a car forum. Or yahoo news comments. Or any comments section anywhere. Everyone knows everything.

It’s really pretty amazing actually.

It makes me think I should simply stop talking and listen only.
You're right although it is what humans do... anything that's scary and unknown we make up a ton of shit to support our own comfort. Been doing this for thousands of years
Old 15 April 2020, 01:54 AM   #381
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's the problem with America - we manage to the absolute lowest common denominator. "Masks would scare people" they probably said... we cant scare people can we?
Old 15 April 2020, 02:03 AM   #382
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
it’s always easy playing Monday quarterback
agreed and the weekends not over yet .............
Old 15 April 2020, 02:18 AM   #383
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
The fundamental basis of economic theory is that people make rational decisions. The key is to make sure that the best information is available.

Our economy will be fine as long as we resist any moves to make it more of a command economy, and protect individual’s property rights.

I can see that you are proud of your country’s response to this crisis and believe it to be a model for the world to follow. That’s great. I promise you that for the rest of my life, I will remember the PRC CCP contribution to solving this crisis and credit them accordingly.
Agreed.
Old 15 April 2020, 02:22 AM   #384
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

You and I went over this incessantly ....CDC says no, now CDC says yes, who knows what they say tomorrow. IT WAS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA.
Old 15 April 2020, 02:44 AM   #385
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
You and I went over this incessantly ....CDC says no, now CDC says yes, who knows what they say tomorrow. IT WAS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA.
But was not part of the mask problem, the fact they they wanted the medical community to have them and not the general public. They wanted social distancing for the general public.

AND the fact that they were/are simply not available.

I only have mine as left overs from the fires last fall.
Old 15 April 2020, 03:02 AM   #386
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Everyone knows everything.

Best post yet.
Old 15 April 2020, 03:04 AM   #387
statsman
"TRF" Member

I started wearing a mask a week ago, because I think that’s how it will be going forward. We have surgical masks, from a box opened ten years ago. My wife cautioned me about wearing them, because we are supposed to route masks to hospitals first (I doubt they would use an opened, ten year old box). I wear them anyway (too many people are concerned about other people’s business).
Old 15 April 2020, 03:07 AM   #388
Brew
"TRF" Member

I found an old box of surgical masks too. I wear one to Wegmans. It makes my glasses fog and it "breathes" in and out like I'm already on a ventilator.
Old 15 April 2020, 03:09 AM   #389
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
It makes my glasses fog and it "breathes" in and out like I'm already on a ventilator.
I used to date a girl that caused that reaction in me.
Old 15 April 2020, 03:14 AM   #390
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to date a girl that caused that reaction in me.
Lucky you! Social distancing makes my dating life seem a whole lot more normal . . . .
Closed Thread