The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 January 2011, 09:08 AM   #391
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluther View Post
Hi Chris, absolutely fantastic job and very kind of you to give of your time so generously. After reading some of your answers over the last few days, the following occured to me re servicing - this is a slight variation of the questions that have already been asked:

A friend of mine purchased a 16610 from an AD in London in 2000. It was meant to be worn on his wedding day, but the wedding was called off and the watch ended up being left in a drawer. It is now 11 years old and not been worn once - as new with everything intact - my question, does it need a service?

Many thanks
Well, this is a little different to the issue of watches sitting in AD's windows - those are moved around at least twice each day, so the movements will start up reasonably regularly, meaning the oils will remain well spread around the watch. Sitting in a drawer without being used for 11 years is a different matter: I would personally recommend a service in this instance. I would be worried about the components inside the watch not being properly lubricated if it started being worn again, so I would err on the side of caution
Old 20 January 2011, 09:09 AM   #392
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Just an ongoing thanks to Chris.....

Cheers Dan I like that GIF
Old 20 January 2011, 09:13 AM   #393
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Cheers Dan I like that GIF
bloody awesome Kris... oops, i mean Chris....

Old 20 January 2011, 09:14 AM   #394
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
bloody awesome Kris... oops, i mean Chris....

And that's just scary!
Old 20 January 2011, 09:59 AM   #395
porscheman

Watch: GMT IIc...so far!
Hi Chris!

Hope you can answer my question from an earlier post about VAT refund. If it is what I think it is, I will simply put off the purchase until my next visit to the UK or EU. Thanks!
Old 20 January 2011, 10:14 AM   #396
esm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheman View Post
Hi Chris!

Impressive thread! I've read the whole thread in one sitting! Learned loads.

I live in Hong Kong but do travel regularly to the UK. What is the current price of SS Daytona black-dial? About the VAT refund for non-EU resident, does this mean that I get 20% off the MSRP in UK? It sounds almost too good to be true! I am about to get an SS Daytona black-dial this weekend at a gray importer at a premium here because it's simply impossible to get one from any AD in the city. Everybody has stopped taking names. Thanks!
i will give this one a go.

you will only get the full 20% off if bought on the air-side at the airport.

if you bought from a high street AD, you'g get somewhere between 12.5% to 15% back because of admin charges and fees... plus a handling fee if you want the refund in cash at the airport

also, the grey dealers does not give the tax refund form....
Old 20 January 2011, 10:52 AM   #397
stalkerman
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 166600
Hi Chris,

Greetings from the frozen North! Firstly thanks for the amount of effort you've put in to answering ALL of the questions. After reading this ENTIRE thread, I was starting to get the feeling that some posters think you've got a direct line to the Rolex CEO! So I will try and keep my questions to being AD/Salesperson specific.

1. Do you ever offer a "first service for free" as an incentive?
2. What kind of margin does the AD make on a service and do you have the opportunity to discount them (e.g. if it's a good customer)
3. Are you aware of Rolex ever putting a "Mystery Shopper" into your store, to make sure you're doing everything correctly. (I see this as a slightly different question to the previous audit questions, which I appreciate you answered)
4. Do Rolex *demand* the most prominent display area in your main window? Appreciate you touched on this earlier, but I've never seen any UK AD without them in the prime postion.
5. Do you ever go into other AD's when on holiday and check out their knowledge, sales techniques, etc.
6. Have you ever seen a female being 'forced' into accepting a Rolex by her over eager partner?
7. What's the worst thing you've done to get a sale?
8. I assume that Interest Free Credit typically equates to no discount?
9. What's your day job? And if you're a student, is it anything watch/engineering related?
10. Has anyone ever brought back a Rolex and claimed it stopped working two days after they took it off?
11. Do you ever visit the local competition?
12. Does the store actually pay Rolex a fee to be an AD?
13. Does the store have to commit to selling a certain number of units to retain it's status.
14. Is there a higher or lower percentage of "tire kickers/time wasters" with Rolex, than you other brands?
15. What's the most common buying signal that makes you think "I've just got a sale"

Apologies for the avalanche of questions, I'll buy you a pint of bitter the next time I'm down.

All the best
Gary
Old 20 January 2011, 10:58 AM   #398
porscheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
i will give this one a go.

you will only get the full 20% off if bought on the air-side at the airport.

if you bought from a high street AD, you'g get somewhere between 12.5% to 15% back because of admin charges and fees... plus a handling fee if you want the refund in cash at the airport

also, the grey dealers does not give the tax refund form....
Thanks, Eric, for your reply. So, does the MSRP in UK include VAT or not? I understand that UK retail prices are shown with VAT included, just wondering if it is also the same for expensive items, like Rolex. If MSRP in UK is close to the MSRP here in HK and I get VAT refund (even if it's 12-13%) from that, it's still hell of a deal. The premium here for SS Daytona black is running at 15-20% over MSRP.

Here in HK, late year 2nd hand SS Daytonas are more expensive than brand-new ones, if you can get any from an AD.
Old 20 January 2011, 11:04 AM   #399
esm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, Eric, for your reply. So, does the MSRP in UK include VAT or not? I understand that UK retail prices are shown with VAT included, just wondering if it is also the same for expensive items, like Rolex. If MSRP in UK is close to the MSRP here in HK and I get VAT refund (even if it's 12-13%) from that, it's still hell of a deal. The premium here for SS Daytona black is running at 15-20% over MSRP.

Here in HK, late year 2nd hand SS Daytonas are more expensive than brand-new ones, if you can get any from an AD.
yes, the MSRP is VAT inclusive, as well as everything else, unless stated otherwise by the seller.... which is not very common at all.
Old 20 January 2011, 11:36 AM   #400
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Chris!

Impressive thread! I've read the whole thread in one sitting! Learned loads.

I live in Hong Kong but do travel regularly to the UK. What is the current price of SS Daytona black-dial? About the VAT refund for non-EU resident, does this mean that I get 20% off the MSRP in UK? It sounds almost too good to be true! I am about to get an SS Daytona black-dial this weekend at a gray importer at a premium here because it's simply impossible to get one from any AD in the city. Everybody has stopped taking names. Thanks!
So sorry I missed this, not sure how I managed that

The current price of a new SS Daytona is £7000: although still not the easiest watch to get hold of, we've been seeing more and more people turn down black dials at present, and put a couple in the window over 2010. The VAT refund system we deal with is direct with HMRC, therefore doesn't incur any charges. From my experience with other overseas customers, I believe the companies that some jewellers use for VAT refunds do charge for it. The way we do it is that you fill a form in detailing the card you paid on, your address in your home country and the product (filled in by the shop), this is then stamped by customs at the airport and posted back to the shop. The shop can then refund the VAT directly to you without extra charge. It won't work out at 20% off (as the final £7000 is essentially 120% of the VAT-free price), but at a rough guesstimate, you'd be getting somewhere between 15% and 17% off in terms of value. Just as a disclaimer, you may have to pay your own country's import fees upon your return.

Hope this explains things!

Chris
Old 20 January 2011, 12:08 PM   #401
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerman View Post
Hi Chris,

Greetings from the frozen North! Firstly thanks for the amount of effort you've put in to answering ALL of the questions. After reading this ENTIRE thread, I was starting to get the feeling that some posters think you've got a direct line to the Rolex CEO! So I will try and keep my questions to being AD/Salesperson specific.

1. Do you ever offer a "first service for free" as an incentive?
2. What kind of margin does the AD make on a service and do you have the opportunity to discount them (e.g. if it's a good customer)
3. Are you aware of Rolex ever putting a "Mystery Shopper" into your store, to make sure you're doing everything correctly. (I see this as a slightly different question to the previous audit questions, which I appreciate you answered)
4. Do Rolex *demand* the most prominent display area in your main window? Appreciate you touched on this earlier, but I've never seen any UK AD without them in the prime postion.
5. Do you ever go into other AD's when on holiday and check out their knowledge, sales techniques, etc.
6. Have you ever seen a female being 'forced' into accepting a Rolex by her over eager partner?
7. What's the worst thing you've done to get a sale?
8. I assume that Interest Free Credit typically equates to no discount?
9. What's your day job? And if you're a student, is it anything watch/engineering related?
10. Has anyone ever brought back a Rolex and claimed it stopped working two days after they took it off?
11. Do you ever visit the local competition?
12. Does the store actually pay Rolex a fee to be an AD?
13. Does the store have to commit to selling a certain number of units to retain it's status.
14. Is there a higher or lower percentage of "tire kickers/time wasters" with Rolex, than you other brands?
15. What's the most common buying signal that makes you think "I've just got a sale"

Apologies for the avalanche of questions, I'll buy you a pint of bitter the next time I'm down.

All the best
Gary
Hi Gary, some great questions

1. It's not something we tend to do. I have offered discount on servicing another watch to secure a sale before, but not a free service. Given the fluid nature of prices of services, I prefer to deal with solid discounts on the day rather than promises I might not be able to keep

2. I'm not 100% sure on the margins, but they're not huge, especially when you factor in P&P - special delivery on packages can add up quite quickly! It's certainly a lower margin than retail items

3. If there has been a mystery shopper, they've been very mysterious Again, I'm not certain if it's something Rolex actively does at the moment, it might be a tactic they use only when they're getting complaints about a particular store. I get the impression they're quite trustworthy with us, but we have built a long working relationship with them over the years, so they know our ethos and how we operate

4. Yes, it is part of the contract, I believe. Rolex is a brand that brings people into the stores, and Rolex is image conscious as well - they want to be in the best position in the best jewellers in a city. It's a mutually beneficial relationship

5. When I have time to kill, I have been known to pop into ADs to try on watches, particularly if they're models I haven't seen in person before. There aren't many Rolexes I haven't tried on in terms of families (the one that springs to mind is the 39mm Day-Date special edition), but I have tried at least one representative of each model. With brands with more diverse and niche watches, particularly Omega, there are some models we don't want to take on, which is my cue to go and pester other shops I popped into H L Browns in Sheffield to try on a Speedmaster Apollo-Soyuz L.E., and they were very courteous and knowledgable. They're a family run business too, so I have a lot of respect for them, they've got a very strong selection of brands. I've also been to Goldsmiths in Meadowhall, the service there was completely the opposite, I was pretty much ignored. It's a story I've heard several times from customers who've ended up buying with us. But it is interesting to see other stores, see how they approach customers, and how they sell the watches, it helps to make me stronger as a salesman.

6. I don't think I've ever seen a lady forced into having a Rolex, but we do get a lot of men treating their wives/partners to Rolexes, and the general reaction is very positive. We always make sure they get the right watch for them - it has happened on a couple of occasions that the Rolex hasn't sat right on the wrist, so they ended up going home with an Omega instead. I have a very non-pushy approach to customers, being pushy on any high-value item isn't a good way to build a lasting relationship with a customer

7. Hmm, interesting question this! I don't think I've ever done anything "bad" to get a sale, really. Maybe the worst was when I sold a watch that had been in stock for a long, long time at full retail, that did make me feel a little guilty. But then again, it was good for the shop, the person buying was over the moon, and didn't ask for discount - I can't give discount if it's not requested, that would make me a pretty rubbish salesman

8. Typically, yes. We use an outside provider of credit, and they take commission depending on the length of the IFC and the value taken out. However, if the IFC is of a certain amount and length, we can sometimes offer a small cash discount as well, to sweeten the deal

9. My full time occupation at the moment is a final year History student at Sheffield University. Nothing to do with watches, although the verbal side of the degree does come in handy when selling - doing a presentation or running a seminar can be very similar in some ways to selling. As well as that, analytical and evaluative thinking is encouraged, which helps me weigh up watches for reviews on my blogging side-project. It's a handy degree, and hopefully will stand me in good stead after I graduate this summer

10. Oh yes. We get plenty of people who don't fully understand how automatic watches work, but all it takes is a kindly explanation of how they work and how to keep them in their peak condition, they go away happy

11. Yes, I do pester the competition sometimes. I try not to make it a habit, though, and I only go in when I see they're quiet. Again, mainly for trying watches we don't stock I have a soft spot for Breitling, so I've been in and tried a couple on in various places before

12. Standard procedure for winning a contract with a brand stipulates an initial set fee for spending on stock: depending on the brand, this could be as high as £100k sometimes. It's a big investment, and I suppose a statement of intent from the AD to how committed they are to having them onboard. There aren't any additional fees on top of that, as far as I know.

13. I don't know if there is a set number or not, but I would presume that Rolex has particular expectations for each store. We turn over, generally speaking, about 100 Rolexes a year, which seems to keep Rolex themselves happy. If we were to suddenly drop those numbers (relatively speaking compared to other ADs in the surrounding region), I expect there would be some tough phone calls and meetings. Touch wood, we won't have to be in that situation

14. You get tirekickers with any brand, but there are people wanting to try on a Rolex just because it's a Rolex. The way I see it, though, is that I'm helping to plant a seed of desire. They might not come back straight away, but if they remember how they were treated, and how much they liked the product, they may just end up deciding to get one from us. I can remember one chap who was agonising over a watch, he came in like clockwork once a fortnight for months, trying on the same watch over and over. It took time and effort, but he eventually went away with it

15. It's hard to say really. You can sometimes just tell by a person's mannerisms and demeanour, they become very positive, and you can see a smile appear as the excitement builds. Sometimes you can tell they want to buy it straight away, but have to check with their partner first - that might mean a quick phonecall, getting them to come in to see for themselves, or the "trip for coffee" (that's a common one, doesn't always work out in our favour, though). Then again, they can sometimes completely take you by surprise: the sale seems all but dead, but then they turn around and ask you to box it up. That's what I love about sales, you just never know what's going to happen

Hope this answers your questions

Chris
Old 20 January 2011, 03:52 PM   #402
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Chris, I've been enjoying this thread and the questions you are being asked. Thanx for your kindness and volunteering your time to answer all our questions. To work retail takes a special person who has patience and a giving nature(I know as I used to work retail)!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Old 20 January 2011, 05:11 PM   #403
RRY
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
re: stalkerman's questions and your answers

great questions and fantastic answers! thanks so much for this thread.
Old 20 January 2011, 07:47 PM   #404
stalkerman
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 166600
Cheers Chris - I'll dance at your weddin*

Good luck with the studies

*You know us Scots rarely indulge in over-the-top-gushyness - so, in the West Highlands, that's the highest commendation known to man!
Old 20 January 2011, 08:34 PM   #405
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Hello Chris,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you, I am a long time member on this forum and for a long time I would be on here everyday for hours on hand. Although I've been on hiatus in recent times, reading this thread has made me decide to log in and join back in on the fun, at least for the moment. Let me send you my thanks for being such a such contributor to this forum.

I've been a proud owner of an Explorer II for 10 years now and my quick question is in regards to it. The Explorer II is known as the stealth Rolex because its subtle looks and it is often one of the most overlooked models in the line-up. My question is, how is the Explorer II selling in your AD in comparison to the other sports models, and out of the black and white dial version, which version tends to be more preferred in your area? Thanks in advance.

Jerome
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
Old 20 January 2011, 11:00 PM   #406
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerman View Post
Cheers Chris - I'll dance at your weddin*

Good luck with the studies

*You know us Scots rarely indulge in over-the-top-gushyness - so, in the West Highlands, that's the highest commendation known to man!
Thanks Gary
Old 20 January 2011, 11:04 PM   #407
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG JeEzY View Post
Hello Chris,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you, I am a long time member on this forum and for a long time I would be on here everyday for hours on hand. Although I've been on hiatus in recent times, reading this thread has made me decide to log in and join back in on the fun, at least for the moment. Let me send you my thanks for being such a such contributor to this forum.

I've been a proud owner of an Explorer II for 10 years now and my quick question is in regards to it. The Explorer II is known as the stealth Rolex because its subtle looks and it is often one of the most overlooked models in the line-up. My question is, how is the Explorer II selling in your AD in comparison to the other sports models, and out of the black and white dial version, which version tends to be more preferred in your area? Thanks in advance.

Jerome
Hi Jerome, glad this has made you want to come back to TRF

The Explorer II isn't a good seller, unfortunately. In terms of sales, we'll sell maybe 2 a year. About the same kind of numbers as the Explorer and Rolesium YM, but far less than the Daytona, GMT and Sub Date - for each of those, you're looking at 8-10 a year. I think maybe the white dial edges it, simply because it's so different from anything else in the range, and is my own preferred combination out of the two

Hope this answers your question
Old 20 January 2011, 11:06 PM   #408
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Chris, I've been enjoying this thread and the questions you are being asked. Thanx for your kindness and volunteering your time to answer all our questions. To work retail takes a special person who has patience and a giving nature(I know as I used to work retail)!!!
Thankyou! Retail, when it's going well, can be so, so rewarding. Working with a great product, a friendly team, and a great customer base, it's rare for a bad day to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRY View Post
re: stalkerman's questions and your answers

great questions and fantastic answers! thanks so much for this thread.

Thankyou, I'm glad you're enjoying it
Old 20 January 2011, 11:17 PM   #409
Hydrographer

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
First off chris, I read this thread from start to finish last night, took a couple of hours but it was the best read Iv had on this superb forum, thanks for the hours you are putting in on this.

I was thinking about what you said about the Explorer II being a slow seller and most AD's I visit have both white and Black dials sat in the case. Do you think that if Rolex introduce the updates that they have to other sports models such as super case and maxi dial. You said this seems likely. Do you think these changes will be enough to malke the Explorer II a sales contender with the likes of the Sub C and GMTII C? Or has it always been a far less popular model even before the updates to the other sports models?

Thanks buddy ;)
Old 20 January 2011, 11:43 PM   #410
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrographer View Post
First off chris, I read this thread from start to finish last night, took a couple of hours but it was the best read Iv had on this superb forum, thanks for the hours you are putting in on this.

I was thinking about what you said about the Explorer II being a slow seller and most AD's I visit have both white and Black dials sat in the case. Do you think that if Rolex introduce the updates that they have to other sports models such as super case and maxi dial. You said this seems likely. Do you think these changes will be enough to malke the Explorer II a sales contender with the likes of the Sub C and GMTII C? Or has it always been a far less popular model even before the updates to the other sports models?

Thanks buddy ;)
Hi Alan, glad you've been enjoying the thread!

Will a new Explorer II be a real sales contender with the GMT IIc and Sub? Hard to say at this stage. Presumably, due to the lack of a ceramic bezel, the Explorer II will occupy a lower price point than the GMT and Sub, and this will work in its favour. In addition, the orange hand is going to perhaps capture the interest of those who like the vintage Explorer IIs, but don't want to make the jump into vintage ownership. I hope the changes planned will make it sufficiently different from the GMT in particular, so that they're not too closely related: that was always the problem with the non-Ceramic GMT and the Explorer II, but for the bezel and the option of the white dial, they were identical watches. I don't think the Explorer II will ever have the mass-market appeal of the Sub or GMT, I see it more of a niche watch, like the Deepsea or Milgauss. I would hope the update brings it out from under the GMT's shadow and perk sales up a bit - if 5 or 6 could be sold every year by us, I would be extremely happy

Cheers

Chris
Old 20 January 2011, 11:49 PM   #411
Hydrographer

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
Great, thanks. I hope they do release the explorer II as I would love a watch with the GMT function as I travel lots but the current GMT IIc is too close to my sub c in looks for my liking. So a white dial and steel bezel would be superb. I just cant go back to the old style bracelet now.
A bi colour ceramic bezel on the GMT would also be an option, but i cant wait that long for my next purchace :D
Old 20 January 2011, 11:50 PM   #412
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrographer View Post
Great, thanks. I hope they do release the explorer II as I would love a watch with the GMT function as I travel lots but the current GMT IIc is too close to my sub c in looks for my liking. So a white dial and steel bezel would be superb. I just cant go back to the old style bracelet now.
A bi colour ceramic bezel on the GMT would also be an option, but i cant wait that long for my next purchace :D
Keep an eye out at Basel, you never know, Rolex may spring a surprise
Old 21 January 2011, 01:32 AM   #413
porscheman

Quote:
So sorry I missed this, not sure how I managed that

The current price of a new SS Daytona is £7000: although still not the easiest watch to get hold of, we've been seeing more and more people turn down black dials at present, and put a couple in the window over 2010. The VAT refund system we deal with is direct with HMRC, therefore doesn't incur any charges. From my experience with other overseas customers, I believe the companies that some jewellers use for VAT refunds do charge for it. The way we do it is that you fill a form in detailing the card you paid on, your address in your home country and the product (filled in by the shop), this is then stamped by customs at the airport and posted back to the shop. The shop can then refund the VAT directly to you without extra charge. It won't work out at 20% off (as the final £7000 is essentially 120% of the VAT-free price), but at a rough guesstimate, you'd be getting somewhere between 15% and 17% off in terms of value. Just as a disclaimer, you may have to pay your own country's import fees upon your return.

Hope this explains things!

Chris
Hi Chris!

Thanks for the info. Very informative.

I have done the VAT procedure a long time ago, so let me just make sure I get the VAT refund system right. Let's say I buy from your shop, pay with cc, and fill out the VAT refund paperwork. I then get this stamped at Heathrow on my way out. I think you get a choice of VAT refund in cash or back into your cc at the VAT refund counter. Say, I pick cash, I get my VAT back then and there. Job done!

In the case of the SS Daytona at 7K, I will essentially pay just 5833 netting out the 20% VAT?

From the sound of it, I am going to back out of my Daytona deal here this weekend and just get one in the UK during my next visit(s).

Also, Eric, thanks for answering my query. Very useful.
Old 21 January 2011, 01:36 AM   #414
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

WOW! Fifteen questions, fifteen thoughtful answers! Simply awesome.....Thanks for everything, Chris.

Quote:
Hi Gary, some great questions

1. It's not something we tend to do. I have offered discount on servicing another watch to secure a sale before, but not a free service. Given the fluid nature of prices of services, I prefer to deal with solid discounts on the day rather than promises I might not be able to keep

2. I'm not 100% sure on the margins, but they're not huge, especially when you factor in P&P - special delivery on packages can add up quite quickly! It's certainly a lower margin than retail items

3. If there has been a mystery shopper, they've been very mysterious Again, I'm not certain if it's something Rolex actively does at the moment, it might be a tactic they use only when they're getting complaints about a particular store. I get the impression they're quite trustworthy with us, but we have built a long working relationship with them over the years, so they know our ethos and how we operate

4. Yes, it is part of the contract, I believe. Rolex is a brand that brings people into the stores, and Rolex is image conscious as well - they want to be in the best position in the best jewellers in a city. It's a mutually beneficial relationship

5. When I have time to kill, I have been known to pop into ADs to try on watches, particularly if they're models I haven't seen in person before. There aren't many Rolexes I haven't tried on in terms of families (the one that springs to mind is the 39mm Day-Date special edition), but I have tried at least one representative of each model. With brands with more diverse and niche watches, particularly Omega, there are some models we don't want to take on, which is my cue to go and pester other shops I popped into H L Browns in Sheffield to try on a Speedmaster Apollo-Soyuz L.E., and they were very courteous and knowledgable. They're a family run business too, so I have a lot of respect for them, they've got a very strong selection of brands. I've also been to Goldsmiths in Meadowhall, the service there was completely the opposite, I was pretty much ignored. It's a story I've heard several times from customers who've ended up buying with us. But it is interesting to see other stores, see how they approach customers, and how they sell the watches, it helps to make me stronger as a salesman.

6. I don't think I've ever seen a lady forced into having a Rolex, but we do get a lot of men treating their wives/partners to Rolexes, and the general reaction is very positive. We always make sure they get the right watch for them - it has happened on a couple of occasions that the Rolex hasn't sat right on the wrist, so they ended up going home with an Omega instead. I have a very non-pushy approach to customers, being pushy on any high-value item isn't a good way to build a lasting relationship with a customer

7. Hmm, interesting question this! I don't think I've ever done anything "bad" to get a sale, really. Maybe the worst was when I sold a watch that had been in stock for a long, long time at full retail, that did make me feel a little guilty. But then again, it was good for the shop, the person buying was over the moon, and didn't ask for discount - I can't give discount if it's not requested, that would make me a pretty rubbish salesman

8. Typically, yes. We use an outside provider of credit, and they take commission depending on the length of the IFC and the value taken out. However, if the IFC is of a certain amount and length, we can sometimes offer a small cash discount as well, to sweeten the deal

9. My full time occupation at the moment is a final year History student at Sheffield University. Nothing to do with watches, although the verbal side of the degree does come in handy when selling - doing a presentation or running a seminar can be very similar in some ways to selling. As well as that, analytical and evaluative thinking is encouraged, which helps me weigh up watches for reviews on my blogging side-project. It's a handy degree, and hopefully will stand me in good stead after I graduate this summer

10. Oh yes. We get plenty of people who don't fully understand how automatic watches work, but all it takes is a kindly explanation of how they work and how to keep them in their peak condition, they go away happy

11. Yes, I do pester the competition sometimes. I try not to make it a habit, though, and I only go in when I see they're quiet. Again, mainly for trying watches we don't stock I have a soft spot for Breitling, so I've been in and tried a couple on in various places before

12. Standard procedure for winning a contract with a brand stipulates an initial set fee for spending on stock: depending on the brand, this could be as high as £100k sometimes. It's a big investment, and I suppose a statement of intent from the AD to how committed they are to having them onboard. There aren't any additional fees on top of that, as far as I know.

13. I don't know if there is a set number or not, but I would presume that Rolex has particular expectations for each store. We turn over, generally speaking, about 100 Rolexes a year, which seems to keep Rolex themselves happy. If we were to suddenly drop those numbers (relatively speaking compared to other ADs in the surrounding region), I expect there would be some tough phone calls and meetings. Touch wood, we won't have to be in that situation

14. You get tirekickers with any brand, but there are people wanting to try on a Rolex just because it's a Rolex. The way I see it, though, is that I'm helping to plant a seed of desire. They might not come back straight away, but if they remember how they were treated, and how much they liked the product, they may just end up deciding to get one from us. I can remember one chap who was agonising over a watch, he came in like clockwork once a fortnight for months, trying on the same watch over and over. It took time and effort, but he eventually went away with it

15. It's hard to say really. You can sometimes just tell by a person's mannerisms and demeanour, they become very positive, and you can see a smile appear as the excitement builds. Sometimes you can tell they want to buy it straight away, but have to check with their partner first - that might mean a quick phonecall, getting them to come in to see for themselves, or the "trip for coffee" (that's a common one, doesn't always work out in our favour, though). Then again, they can sometimes completely take you by surprise: the sale seems all but dead, but then they turn around and ask you to box it up. That's what I love about sales, you just never know what's going to happen

Hope this answers your questions

Chris
Old 21 January 2011, 08:24 AM   #415
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Chris!

Thanks for the info. Very informative.

I have done the VAT procedure a long time ago, so let me just make sure I get the VAT refund system right. Let's say I buy from your shop, pay with cc, and fill out the VAT refund paperwork. I then get this stamped at Heathrow on my way out. I think you get a choice of VAT refund in cash or back into your cc at the VAT refund counter. Say, I pick cash, I get my VAT back then and there. Job done!

In the case of the SS Daytona at 7K, I will essentially pay just 5833 netting out the 20% VAT?

From the sound of it, I am going to back out of my Daytona deal here this weekend and just get one in the UK during my next visit(s).

Also, Eric, thanks for answering my query. Very useful.
From my experience in the past, I think the refund is done by the store itself, directly to your card. I may be wrong though. And yes, £5833 would be the total you would have to pay
Old 21 January 2011, 08:25 AM   #416
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

WOW! Fifteen questions, fifteen thoughtful answers! Simply awesome.....Thanks for everything, Chris.
It was a bit of an essay, that one, but when they're good questions like that, they deserve good answers
Old 22 January 2011, 02:06 AM   #417
Brian J

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Chris

Thanks for putting this thread together, I've read every post. I wish I had a question but can't for the life of me think of one.
Old 22 January 2011, 02:17 AM   #418
Lucy Diamond
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1966 Pepsi
Hi again Chris!

First off,thanks very much for answering a question I posted a while back.This entire thread has become a most enjoyable read!

I have another question for ya.....curious about the gold YM II?Has it been considered a poor seller for your store over the years?I know that watch doesn't get much love at TRF but it really is a landmark piece in the Rolex stable,imo.It's not one I would wear as yellow gold doesn't work for me,but it's become my better half's grail and I personally think it could be a sleeper collector piece down the road.

Thoughts?
Old 22 January 2011, 02:31 AM   #419
jessiethe3rd
Banned

Quite fun to read - thanks. BTW - this is creepy.
Old 22 January 2011, 02:45 AM   #420
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J View Post
Chris

Thanks for putting this thread together, I've read every post. I wish I had a question but can't for the life of me think of one.
Glad you've been enjoying it! I'll be ready and waiting when you do think of a question, Brian
Closed Thread