The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2011, 04:32 AM   #421
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
...have always found that getting dressed,getting in the car and driving to gym,as well as the vibe in gym....gets one in the right mental frame of mind to train harder.The variety of equipment is of course also better.

I agree, buying gear for the house is expensive and you can normally get many months of the gym for the price of the gear, plus no need to pay maintenance. The other thing that helps me push a little bit harder is if I go with a buddy; I'm much less likely to try to slack off.
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 08:41 AM   #422
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Good question Over many years have trained by far most of the time in gym,but have always had a home setup of sorts.Now have a TRX system and kettlebell setup currently.Can do PLENTY with this BUT have always found that getting dressed,getting in the car and driving to gym,as well as the vibe in gym....gets one in the right mental frame of mind to train harder.The variety of equipment is of course also better.

When I was single I spent quite a bit of time at the gym. I loved the workouts and the social aspect. And, yes, it is a great motivator.

My excuse (I'm really not a believer in an 'excuse') is my three kids. Time is tight, so I can usually only work out at night when they go to bed. I'm extremely motivated, however, so I don't think a gym would really entice me to work out more (maybe harder, though). But I think it would be nice to have access to more equipment and pickup new routines from fellow gym members.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 03:21 PM   #423
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post
I agree, buying gear for the house is expensive and you can normally get many months of the gym for the price of the gear, plus no need to pay maintenance. The other thing that helps me push a little bit harder is if I go with a buddy; I'm much less likely to try to slack off.
I train alone.For me it works better and I am more focussed.Also,less time wasted between sets.My wife goes with but we dont train together.Sometimes we will share the same machine for an exercise.
The advantage of a buddy is that ....it gets you to the gym,on days that you may have skipped and it can push one a bit harder when training together.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 03:37 PM   #424
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
When I was single I spent quite a bit of time at the gym. I loved the workouts and the social aspect. And, yes, it is a great motivator.

My excuse (I'm really not a believer in an 'excuse') is my three kids. Time is tight, so I can usually only work out at night when they go to bed. I'm extremely motivated, however, so I don't think a gym would really entice me to work out more (maybe harder, though). But I think it would be nice to have access to more equipment and pickup new routines from fellow gym members.
I have the same problem .... time !! Also a family that needs time with Dad,working hours that runs from 7AM to 23PM on some days,sometimes three days in a row ...

Solution: If you can get to gym only three days a week,you can do the rest at home.Thats why I have the kettlebell and TRX systems at home.Pre-competition,Muphy's Law,we were VERY busy at work !! Just when you dont want it to be busy !! Did hour abd sessions 23PM at night,got up early to do whole workouts at 4AM .... When your mind is set on something,anything is possible.The goal was there and I knew what needed to be done.
The biggest pain of all is the FOOD !!! Not so much what you may eat,but going to work with six small plastic containers filled with chicken/broccoli/sweetpotato etc.etc.Slogging it along the whole day .... Anyway,on a personal level it was well worth it in the end.
Old 11 June 2011, 11:11 PM   #425
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
30 days into p90X. Im 185 now. I was 205 when I started light exercise in January. P90x has been great. I have been mixing it up with an hour long Core class and a two hour long ice hockey game every week. My goal is 175lbs.

I need some diet recommendations please. Good calories versus bad calories.

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 01:00 AM   #426
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkWilfred View Post
30 days into p90X. Im 185 now. I was 205 when I started light exercise in January. P90x has been great. I have been mixing it up with an hour long Core class and a two hour long ice hockey game every week. My goal is 175lbs.

I need some diet recommendations please. Good calories versus bad calories.
Chicken,Hake, lean Red meat.
Broccoli,sweet potato,potato with skin,basmati rice.
Oats,rice cakes,honey.
whey prot
Banana,apple,pineapple(try to limit amounts)
Eat prot every meal.Divide in seven small meals a day.

As simple as that.Really.

Old 12 June 2011, 01:06 AM   #427
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Volume training and heavy weights has taken its toll ....a bit Tender elbows at the moment.

Had to do chest and triceps today.Now what ?? Want to put little strain on the elbows ....

I fly'ed me to da Moon .........

Chest:
Incline db flyes
Flat db flyes
Bench cable flat flyes
Incline bench incline flyes
Standing cable flyes

Great chest workout..... little elbow joint stress.

Triceps ...half moves on the TRX doing triceps extensions.Surprising got a humongous pump from these !!

See....there is always a Plan B.
Old 12 June 2011, 02:34 AM   #428
AWS
"TRF" Member

Any recommendations for a heart rate monitor? Looking for simple, don't need all the extras.
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 03:05 AM   #429
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSIN View Post
Any recommendations for a heart rate monitor? Looking for simple, don't need all the extras.
I found the suunto t3 very useful and simple to use. I you Want extras (gps and stuff) you can just add them later.
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 08:39 PM   #430
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Volume training and heavy weights has taken its toll ....a bit Tender elbows at the moment.
Hey Chris,

I know the feeling, yesterday I skipped my first workout in a month, took a 3 hour nap instead. I think my body was trying to tell me something. Next up is cycle #7 on Tuesday!
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 10:31 PM   #431
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post
Hey Chris,

I know the feeling, yesterday I skipped my first workout in a month, took a 3 hour nap instead. I think my body was trying to tell me something. Next up is cycle #7 on Tuesday!
Returned from gym just now.Elbows are giving me hell !!!! Anyway,not someone to "surrender and give up" am I ???

Did my HIIT cycling.Then did biceps with own body weight on the smith machine bar.Varying narrow and wide grip to hit long and short head of biceps.Elbows were OK,especially on the narrow grips.Then did bicep curls on the TRX.Always a joint friendly piece of equipment Did back also on the smith machine with own bodyweight....and followed it up with one arm and two arm rows on the TRX.Overall it was a good biceps and back routine.

Niggling "injuries" eg.elbows,rotator cuff etc.Have two choices...can either stop training OR train exercises that does not hurt.Amazing you will find that after a week or two the hurting bodypart would have healed.Another thing.If you have an injury DO NOT continue to do exercises that hurt them !!!!

Did 10 min HIIT rowing on the Concept II rower .

Did superset abd with reverse bench crunches and abd crunch machines.

Still had a great workout
Old 12 June 2011, 11:02 PM   #432
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
The one exercise that always bothers me is upright rows. I'm just about ready to give up on them. Knock on wood Everything else great but little nagging injuries are part of the sport. It helps you "learn" your body.

Today for my day off it's a bike ride.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 12:25 AM   #433
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Just finished up an easy 10 miles. Legs were a little tired from the 15 miles yesterday.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 07:41 AM   #434
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

I just got back from playing in the park with my kids. I tried making it a workout to some degree (playing tag, jumping up on picnic tables, etc). Was wearing one of my tight workout shirts and I was amazed that I've grown a pot belly in the last couple of weeks. I think I need to go back to basics and watch the daily calorie count.

Lesson learned.
Old 13 June 2011, 10:30 AM   #435
joelbert
"TRF" Member

a)crossfit for exercise
b)paleo for diet (http://www.whole9life.com/, Rob Wolff)

You can work out all you want, but until your food is in order.
joelbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 10:33 AM   #436
Brunotheboxer
Banned

My new fitness bike. Best bike I ever had. It's a Trek.

I did 10 miles today and I feel f-ing Great.
Old 13 June 2011, 01:36 PM   #437
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just got back from playing in the park with my kids. I tried making it a workout to some degree (playing tag, jumping up on picnic tables, etc). Was wearing one of my tight workout shirts and I was amazed that I've grown a pot belly in the last couple of weeks. I think I need to go back to basics and watch the daily calorie count.

Lesson learned.
Saw the pic of your garden on another thread.Easy to hook up a TRX system on one of those play structures for the kids "Complete gym in the garden" so to speak...wink-wink-nudge-nudge
Old 13 June 2011, 01:40 PM   #438
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbert View Post
a)crossfit for exercise
b)paleo for diet (http://www.whole9life.com/, Rob Wolff)

You can work out all you want, but until your food is in order.
Correct.Food 80% Exercise 20% The exercise is the easy part !! Although ,its just about getting "in a rhytm" eating wise.After two weeks its easy.
Old 13 June 2011, 01:57 PM   #439
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct.Food 80% Exercise 20% The exercise is the easy part !! Although ,its just about getting "in a rhytm" eating wise.After two weeks its easy.
I get it on the food now. I've been in great shape since last year, so I think I got a little over confident in terms of amount of food I can eat. Being so trim, 5 extra pounds of fat make me look and feel like crap.

Tomorrow I start anew.

Thanks for the comments, gang.
Old 13 June 2011, 10:45 PM   #440
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it on the food now. I've been in great shape since last year, so I think I got a little over confident in terms of amount of food I can eat. Being so trim, 5 extra pounds of fat make me look and feel like crap.

Tomorrow I start anew.

Thanks for the comments, gang.
5 pounds is nothing.You can lose that in 2 weeks ... Easy !! :-) Go for it !!
Old 13 June 2011, 10:50 PM   #441
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
My new fitness bike. Best bike I ever had. It's a Trek.

I did 10 miles today and I feel f-ing Great.
Cycling .....perhaps the best leg shaping exercise on the planet ?? I think so .
Old 13 June 2011, 10:55 PM   #442
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Cycling .....perhaps the best leg shaping exercise on the planet ?? I think so .
Plus a fun way to get in cardio. Yesterday I went 3.5 miles and met my wife for lunch then did the rest. I ate fish tacos with a beer.

My legs feel great.
Old 14 June 2011, 11:31 AM   #443
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

6:30 pm and the sun is out. Gonna crank up the music and run hills/stairs to burn the crap off of my waste.

Three days off, so I'm gonna kick some serious butt tonight.
Old 15 June 2011, 01:51 AM   #444
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Gentleman-this thread has been a wonderful encouragement.

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that now that I workout 6 days a week I need to increase my calorie in take in order to loose weight. I am not interested in bulk. I want a marathon runners body with tone. I have already been a 205 lb meat head once in my life and I found out the hard way that once you stop working out, you get flabby quick.

I workout at least an hour a day.

Saturday - 1 hour P90X, run 6 hard miles
Sundays- run 6 hard miles
Monday- swim 1 hour
Tuesday- run hard 6 miles and 1 hour core class
Wednesday - 1 hour P90X
Thursday - 1 hour P90X and 2 hours of ice hockey (compeditive)
Friday - relax/stretch

What am I missing? I need your advice. I am 5'10 and 185#. I was 205# this past January and have lost 20# so far. I only starting working out the past two months. My goal is 170#.

THanks in advance and congradulations to everyone that has been contributing to this thread and working there butts off!

Old 15 June 2011, 01:57 AM   #445
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkWilfred View Post
Gentleman-this thread has been a wonderful encouragement.

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that now that I workout 6 days a week I need to increase my calorie in take in order to loose weight. I am not interested in bulk. I want a marathon runners body with tone. I have already been a 205 lb meat head once in my life and I found out the hard way that once you stop working out, you get flabby quick.

I workout at least an hour a day.

Saturday - 1 hour P90X, run 6 hard miles
Sundays- run 6 hard miles
Monday- swim 1 hour
Tuesday- run hard 6 miles and 1 hour core class
Wednesday - 1 hour P90X
Thursday - 1 hour P90X and 2 hours of ice hockey (compeditive)
Friday - relax/stretch

What am I missing? I need your advice. I am 5'10 and 185#. I was 205# this past January and have lost 20# so far. I only starting working out the past two months. My goal is 170#.

THanks in advance and congradulations to everyone that has been contributing to this thread and working there butts off!
Wow, Brian, sounds like you're making it happen already. And to run after doing P90x is pretty impressive. One idea - are you taking photos of your progress. Sometimes it's just nice to sit back and see how far you've come. It's also a great motivator to keep you going. In terms of running - I only started dropping the weight when I said screw the long slow runs and went for the high intensity running (especially running up stairs). But it sounds like you're doing that already.

Diet is a huge part. I bet Chris or Bruno can give you some tips in that department.
Old 15 June 2011, 09:47 PM   #446
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
trying to jog 2 miles everyday at work
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:50 PM   #447
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
This guy at work ate 2 homemade sandwhiches for lunch everyday for 7 years. one was peanut butter and jelly, one was turkey or ham. These were thin regular cheap sandwhices like you eat when you are a kid. He never went out for fastfood ever. We all did, he just sat there and ate his sandwhiches. He worked out, was fit. Well. get this...

he dropped the sandwhiches and started eating salad every day for lunch. He dropped 20lbs. He looks unhealthy thin now but he has no body fat whatsoever. I keep hearing bread, patatoes and pasta is what is making us fat.
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 01:44 AM   #448
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
trying to jog 2 miles everyday at work
Nice, Greg. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Old 16 June 2011, 01:57 AM   #449
Puffy
"TRF" Member

nice work everbody and this is a great thread - make it sticky

i sit down for a living

so these days i smash myself up at the gym 3-4 times a week, 1.5-2hr sessions.

i start with 30-40 mins on a bike, do 20-25kms (that's 13ish miles for our friends across the pond) then do weights. all body parts 3-4 sets with 15-18 reps. i just want to stay lean and look fit so i try not to bulk up too much.

works wonders, really releases some endorphin and puts me in a great mood on days where i'd normally kill for fun

but more importantly it creates a good eco system and i sleep well etc. and have a metabolism like a cheetah

diet wise, not too much booze or rubbish food, eat plenty of greens, fruit, nuts, water but am not a fanatic so going out for a curry, chinese or pizza make it much more enjoyable

my TRF name suggests i'm a fat lardy arse - in fact i'm 6'1 (1.85m) and am about 80kg (176lbs) so a BMI of about 23 which puts me in the lean category

that's all folks, off to the gym to punish myself
Old 16 June 2011, 03:38 AM   #450
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Just finished up an easy 10 miles. Legs were a little tired from the 15 miles yesterday.
I cant wait to be where your at with running. I have started running 6 miles every other day. I am trying to slim down. Once I do I can only imagine that running will be easier. I am 5'10 185 and run 6 miles in 44 minutes on average.