The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2014, 03:37 AM   #421
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Steve,

Out of curiosity, I have a couple of questions. I hope you don't mind answering them.

Of all your expedition trips, which one is the most memorable of all and why?

As far as watches you wore in your expeditions, which one did you like the most and why?

Thanks
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 03:40 AM   #422
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
The best use I have ever used a Rolex for, was in greenland. We had to self rescue to the coast after an accident. After 10 days we made it to the coast and to the top of mountain.
I saw a local hunter in the fjord..
Ran down the hill and met him. There was notable language issue..
So I turned the hands of my Submariner to 6 o'clock. He smiled and went away.
That night we moved most of the gear down the hill, the next morning it was gone..
In despair we tried to self rescue across the rivers and fjords to the settlement. Failed and decided then to wait to 6 o'clock pm..the hunter turned up and also had the rest of our kit! He had been there at 6.am...
He then took us via his boat to the village, which was on an island a km out to sea, so we would never have made it anyway ...
Great story and that Patek.......Gorgeous
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 03:40 AM   #423
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The best use I have ever used a Rolex for, was in greenland. We had to self rescue to the coast after an accident. After 10 days we made it to the coast and to the top of mountain.
I saw a local hunter in the fjord..
Ran down the hill and met him. There was notable language issue..
So I turned the hands of my Submariner to 6 o'clock. He smiled and went away.
That night we moved most of the gear down the hill, the next morning it was gone..
In despair we tried to self rescue across the rivers and fjords to the settlement. Failed and decided then to wait to 6 o'clock pm..the hunter turned up and also had the rest of our kit! He had been there at 6.am...
He then took us via his boat to the village, which was on an island a km out to sea, so we would never have made it anyway ...
Amazing story.
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 03:48 AM   #424
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
Steve,

Out of curiosity, I have a couple of questions. I hope you don't mind answering them.

Of all your expedition trips, which one is the most memorable of all and why?

As far as watches you wore in your expeditions, which one did you like the most and why?

Thanks
The most memorable trip was the South Pole. That was my ambition, so all trips led up to that one. We spent two years raising the money. And I have read so much about Antarctica and the history of the exploration, especially scott and Oates.
The watch, would be the GMT master 2. The explorer 2 is more robust, but I just like the blue/red dial, also a lot of the rolex adverts featuring South Pole trips had gmt's in them.
So I guess the marketing worked on me!

Adverts like this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.3 KB, 3620 views)
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 03:50 AM   #425
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Cool stuff. definitely got my attention and hooked. keep 'em coming since I am not a very adventurous person when it comes to travel.

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
A.Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 03:52 AM   #426
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

But it's the history; of the place. And to stand where Scott, Wilson, bowers, Oates and Evans stood. Yet, I am fascinated by the courage of Oates. Who basically walked for weeks on frozen feet with an old cavalry wound opening on his leg. In the end it was taking him an hour to put his boots on and then an hour to take them off. So he crawled to his death to try and save his friends..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.8 KB, 3618 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 03:53 AM   #427
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

In the Scott Amundsen base is this plaque...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.8 KB, 3615 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 04:00 AM   #428
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I've been following this thread off and on, happy that it has come about. Thanks to the OP for these great stories of exploration. Please keep them coming.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 05:11 AM   #429
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

And love this advert...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.2 KB, 3583 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 05:12 AM   #430
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And love this advert...
And a picture taken on the polar plateau..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.0 KB, 3587 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 05:25 AM   #431
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
This has been great, talktoomuch. Keep them coming please. Can you put your first name in your profile so we are not always calling you by your member ID?
Old 8 April 2014, 05:35 AM   #432
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
This has been great, talktoomuch. Keep them coming please. Can you put your first name in your profile so we are not always calling you by your member ID?
Done..
Old 8 April 2014, 05:45 AM   #433
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Old 8 April 2014, 05:52 AM   #434
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
And love this advert...
A wonderful testament to the simplicity and value of an automatic/mechanical timepiece and the place of the Exp II polar among tool watches
Old 8 April 2014, 05:53 AM   #435
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Ok. The last watch.

I love the old style watches, I think in some way they are more 'Rolex'. The adverts, the history, the tool style non bling function of them. They were understated and did not pander to the trend to be too big.
And the one watch I would keep above all else is the first I bought; the Submariner.
Less is more.
Yet...
The Explorer 2 new version came out.
The quandary; white or black dial? It's important in my opinion to see these as two seperate watches; as the dials are so different. The black has a depth to it. Makes the watch seem more robust. Even though it's not..
The white is great, but the black has the nod to the original in terms of the 'phantom hands' and the original I will never get...
And in the low half light of dawn the black dial is more functional. It is also exceptionally cool..
and all the current adverts have the white dial. So again less is more.
I love expeditions, do it or a living; so it has to be an Explorer. The explorer 1 would be first, but it does not have a date; and on an expedition you need to know what day it is- or you might miss the ferry...
The Pateks are the finest made watches in the world, but you can't take a shower with one. Except the Aquanaut, but for me a a Patek needs to be on a leather strap and be made of an exotic metal.
So it has to be a Rolex.
The new explorer 2 black dial.
This watch as yet has no expedition history, but it will go to Iceland this year, on a trek never done before...and to greenland next year on a new route across the icecap....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (116.0 KB, 3572 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 05:56 AM   #436
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Not what I was expecting. Very cool. I love the explorer series.

Thank you for this thread.
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 06:03 AM   #437
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Ok. The last watch.

I love the old style watches, I think in some way they are more 'Rolex'. The adverts, the history, the tool style non bling function of them. They were understated and did not pander to the trend to be too big.
And the one watch I would keep above all else is the first I bought; the Submariner.
Less is more.
Yet...
The quandary; white or black dial? It's important in my opinion to see these as two seperate watches; as the dials are so different. The black has a depth to it. Makes the watch seem more robust. Even though it's not..
The white is great, but the black has the nod to the original in terms of the 'phantom hands' and the original I will never get...
And in the low half light of dawn the black dial is more functional. It is also exceptionally cool..
I love expeditions, do it or a living; so it has to be an Explorer. The explorer 1 would be first, but it does not have a date; and on an expedition you need to know what day it is- or you might miss the ferry...
The Pateks are the finest made watches in the world, but you can't take a shower with one. Except the Aquanaut, but for me a a Patek needs to be on a leather strap and be made of an exotic metal.
So it has to be a Rolex.
This watch as yet has no expedition history, but it will go to Iceland this year, on a trek never done before...and to greenland next year on a new route across the icecap....
Very nice Steve! Good luck on your trip to Iceland. Be sure to update this thread with pics
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 06:06 AM   #438
subtona
"TRF" Member

Steve,

Quote:
Ok. The last watch.

Less is more.
Yet...
So it has to be a Rolex.
My favorite of the modern rolex
Sounds like an incoming expedition thread we can hope

Quote:
Gear and clothing is a massive personal choice..but simply it's the layering principle. And if your working hard in low temperature use exercise to regulate body temperature, as wearing to much makes you sweat. Stop and it freezes..
Thanks for this, also appreciated the light shed on the possible natos functional benefits vs steel against ones wrist
Old 8 April 2014, 06:14 AM   #439
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
It was very educational, enjoyed fully the pictures, I had some experiences with icy fields as well, so your pictures brought back memories.

Thank You for posting Steve, You are a Rolex lover, and I can see that.

Keep safe and post more. I prefer such posts than the typical " wrist shot every Sat or Sun ".

THANKS

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 06:16 AM   #440
Kobayashi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex!
Quote:
Ok. The last watch.

Less is more.

Yet...

So it has to be a Rolex.

Thank you for the journey you took us on. I have the older version Polar ExpII and had always wanted the black dial version but didn't want to have two of the same versions. You've now convinced me otherwise. Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your continued adventures.
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 06:21 AM   #441
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
Simply amazing! Love your pics, watches and stories behind them! And that Patek, Jeebus!!

My new favorite thread here
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 06:28 AM   #442
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Thank you all.
Will do one more post on this thread, the full collection in one picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.5 KB, 3482 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 06:33 AM   #443
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkemus23 View Post
Simply amazing! Love your pics, watches and stories behind them! And that Patek, Jeebus!!

My new favorite thread here
The 5070 is bonkers.
Patek don't advertise they do limited editions, but on that watch they only made a set number. Not sue what it was.

Yet at present Patek put out about 250 000 watches per year, of that over 75% are a steel ladies model.

Rolex are hitting over a million a year, not sure on the breakdown on models, there a forum topic....
Old 8 April 2014, 06:34 AM   #444
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
It was very educational, enjoyed fully the pictures, I had some experiences with icy fields as well, so your pictures brought back memories.

Thank You for posting Steve, You are a Rolex lover, and I can see that.

Keep safe and post more. I prefer such posts than the typical " wrist shot every Sat or Sun ".

THANKS
What ice fields? ...
Old 8 April 2014, 06:35 AM   #445
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5070 is bonkers.
Patek don't advertise they do limited editions, but on that watch they only made a set number. Not sue what it was.

Yet at present Patek put out about 250 000 watches per year, of that over 75% are a steel ladies model.

Rolex are hitting over a million a year, not sure on the breakdown on models, there a forum topic....
there is much forum chatter to be found on the beautiful 5070 in all its variations
it is spectacular
Old 8 April 2014, 06:40 AM   #446
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
there is much forum chatter to be found on the beautiful 5070 in all its variations
it is spectacular
It was my dad's favourite watch...still is I think...
Old 8 April 2014, 06:42 AM   #447
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi View Post
Thank you for the journey you took us on. I have the older version Polar ExpII and had always wanted the black dial version but didn't want to have two of the same versions. You've now convinced me otherwise. Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your continued adventures.
Two very different watches!
Old 8 April 2014, 06:46 AM   #448
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

To me this sums up rolex and this forum....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.0 KB, 3461 views)
Old 8 April 2014, 06:50 AM   #449
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Can't wait for the summary post. Mate, you took us on a journey despite all our initial reservations.

Nick
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2014, 07:04 AM   #450
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb732 View Post
Can't wait for the summary post. Mate, you took us on a journey despite all our initial reservations.
When you fly to Antarctica, you go in on Russian Ily 76 charted...
When we went in, the second time, the cargo bay was filled with drums of aviation fuel; and the loadmaster smoked his cigarette- dropping it and stubbing it out on the floor of the hold.
Get off or stay on?
You never know the risk your taking when you embark on a journey...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.1 KB, 3459 views)