The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 November 2015, 12:22 PM   #421
Star Ferry
Banned

Most of my shoes are lower on the price scale, but I do have a few pairs of C&J from the boutique in NY.

One of the salesmen at the boutique said Lebron stopped by during the last NBA All Star weekend to pick up 5 pairs. They also said they'd sold shoes to Letterman, Daniel Day-Lewis, and shoes for use in various films (Kingsman, Skyfall, Spectre).

I'm not a TRF-grade connoisseur of fine things, so I had to check the style names on mine: Lonsdale Handgrade (black oxfords), Chiltern (suede boot) and Connaught (chestnut oxford).

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 12:26 PM   #422
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Most of my shoes are lower on the price scale, but I do have a few pairs of C&J from the boutique in NY.

One of the salesmen at the boutique said Lebron stopped by during the last NBA All Star weekend to pick up 5 pairs. They also said they'd sold shoes to Letterman, Daniel Day-Lewis, and shoes for use in various films (Kingsman, Skyfall, Spectre).

I'm not a TRF-grade connoisseur of fine things, so I had to check the style names on mine: Lonsdale Handgrade (black oxfords), Chiltern (suede boot) and Connaught (chestnut oxford).
Very nice sir.

C&J makes some excellent shoes and boots.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 12:28 PM   #423
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Very nice sir.

C&J makes some excellent shoes and boots.
Thank you - must say I'm impressed by the selection of Edward Green, John Lobb, and the like that has been posted in this thread. I will take a look through it all after work
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 12:31 PM   #424
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you - must say I'm impressed by the selection of Edward Green, John Lobb, and the like that has been posted in this thread. I will take a look through it all after work
There's a few Gaziano & Girling here as well. Those are certainly worth a look as well. It's a bit more aggressive styling but it's definitely in the same league as Edward Green. I have one pair to post and should be getting a few more in the upcoming months.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 November 2015, 04:43 PM   #425
AlexMachine
"TRF" Member

Just introduced my self to British shoes. Started with low end ones, but surely my appetite grows now when I read through this thread. So many stunning shoes.
Here are my 2 first pairs. Loake 1880 series. Islington monk shoes and Gladstone derby.
AlexMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2015, 03:38 AM   #426
dddrees
"TRF" Member

I declare this year the year for fun footwear.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 November 2015, 03:48 AM   #427
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMachine View Post
Just introduced my self to British shoes. Started with low end ones, but surely my appetite grows now when I read through this thread. So many stunning shoes.
Here are my 2 first pairs. Loake 1880 series. Islington monk shoes and Gladstone derby.
Many congratulations, excellent choice, I have a couple of pairs myself, great value and superb quality, enjoy them.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2015, 03:50 AM   #428
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I declare this year the year for fun footwear.
Wow, was my first reaction and having looked again I get the same.

Superb.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2015, 03:51 AM   #429
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Wow, was my first reaction and having looked again I get the same.

Superb.

Thank you sir.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 December 2015, 05:39 AM   #430
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Hey Dan,

I see that you have (or had, as of 2013) a pair of RL Marlow SWBs. Do you still have them?

I'm in the market for some cordovan brogues and I am torn between the Alden 975s and the Marlows. The 975s and Marlows both seem to be very popular choices on SF. From what I've read, the general consensus is that the Marlows have the edge in terms of quality. I'd love your input in this, assuming you also have some experience with the 975s (or any other Aldens in shell, I suppose).

Merry Christmas!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 06:36 AM   #431
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Hey Dan,

I see that you have (or had, as of 2013) a pair of RL Marlow SWBs. Do you still have them?

I'm in the market for some cordovan brogues and I am torn between the Alden 975s and the Marlows. The 975s and Marlows both seem to be very popular choices on SF. From what I've read, the general consensus is that the Marlows have the edge in terms of quality. I'd love your input in this, assuming you also have some experience with the 975s (or any other Aldens in shell, I suppose).

Merry Christmas!
I personally don't think you can go wrong either way, but my preference would be for a pair of Marlows. Keep in mind that others may prefer Alden over CJ and a good portion may choose Alden strictly because of the way they finish their shells. Also Alden has a greater variety of shell colors some of which are highly coveted and can be difficult to find or may take a long time to get. Also keep in mind that C&J is notorious for their drier shell, but this is easily remedied with a bit of Saphir neutral cordovan cream. Anyway I personally think C&J makes a better shoe with regards their quality control being better, attention to detail, and finally more attractive less blobby looking Lasts. In almost all cases I would chose C&J over Alden. The quality of shell they both use is about the same, except their finishing techniques are different as mentioned. When it comes to calf C&J uses a better quality of calf.

Hopefully this answers your questions, please let know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 December 2015, 08:02 AM   #432
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
Quote:

Very nice! C&J make great shoes/boots.

JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 08:03 AM   #433
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
Quote:
I personally don't think you can go wrong either way, but my preference would be for a pair of Marlows. Keep in mind that others may prefer Alden over CJ and a good portion may choose Alden strictly because of the way they finish their shells. Also Alden has a greater variety of shell colors some of which are highly coveted and can be difficult to find or may take a long time to get. Also keep in mind that C&J is notorious for their drier shell, but this is easily remedied with a bit of Saphir neutral cordovan cream. Anyway I personally think C&J makes a better shoe with regards their quality control being better, attention to detail, and finally more attractive less blobby looking Lasts. In almost all cases I would chose C&J over Alden. The quality of shell they both use is about the same, except their finishing techniques are different as mentioned. When it comes to calf C&J uses a better quality of calf.

Hopefully this answers your questions, please let know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Dan
X2

JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 10:53 AM   #434
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Cheers,

Dan
Appreciate the feedback, Dan. I think I am going to go for the Marlows, but I am going to wait for a promo code. It looks like I missed out on a pretty good discount earlier this month ($250 off when you spend $750+, I think). I'm hoping that there will be something similar in January. As much as I like these, full retail is a tough pill to swallow!
Old 26 December 2015, 11:13 AM   #435
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback, Dan. I think I am going to go for the Marlows, but I am going to wait for a promo code. It looks like I missed out on a pretty good discount earlier this month ($250 off when you spend $750+, I think). I'm hoping that there will be something similar in January. As much as I like these, full retail is a tough pill to swallow!
I don't blame you, I purchased my Marlows and Lindricks both when they went on sale. I don't know how often they go on sale now, but it used to be fairly often.

You'll have to let us know what you think when you get your pair.

Good Luck,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 February 2016, 06:05 AM   #436
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
There's a few Gaziano & Girling here as well. Those are certainly worth a look as well. It's a bit more aggressive styling but it's definitely in the same league as Edward Green. I have one pair to post and should be getting a few more in the upcoming months.
Hey Dan, have you received any Gaziano & Girling lately?

I ordered my Thorpes early September and still nothing after 24 weeks. It is my first pair and I was quoted 12-16 weeks for delivery. What is your experience?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2016, 06:26 AM   #437
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Hey Dan, have you received any Gaziano & Girling lately?

I ordered my Thorpes early September and still nothing after 24 weeks. It is my first pair and I was quoted 12-16 weeks for delivery. What is your experience?
Fredrik,

Currently I am waiting on a GMTO for the Rosewood Kudu Isham which was ordered in early September. Based on GMTOs which where initially ordered in August of last year and which where just received this past midmonth I would say that the Ishams should hopefully be ready this midmonth. These where both ordered through Skoaktiebolaget. Of course if your order was through Skoaktiebolaget it certainly couldn't hurt to contact Gabriel via email and see what he thinks. I've done this a few times to get a better idea as to what is going on from time to time.

It does appear that the wait times have increasingly gotten longer, maybe the demands have just gotten greater.

Good Luck and Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 February 2016, 05:29 PM   #438
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It does appear that the wait times have increasingly gotten longer, maybe the demands have just gotten greater.
Thank you, yes, they seem to be a lot longer. If I had known this last year I would have ordered my pair a couple of months earlier since I wanted them for the winter season here. This is what annoys me. I visited skoaktiebolaget a month ago when passing by and asked Gabriel about my shoes and they were apparently in the works.

So, they should just update the MTO information and print the real waiting time, not a best case scenario or whatever they have now. I do not have a problem waiting 6 months if know it when I place the order.

Please post a picture of your Ishams when they arrive.
Old 27 February 2016, 08:49 PM   #439
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, yes, they seem to be a lot longer. If I had known this last year I would have ordered my pair a couple of months earlier since I wanted them for the winter season here. This is what annoys me. I visited skoaktiebolaget a month ago when passing by and asked Gabriel about my shoes and they were apparently in the works.

So, they should just update the MTO information and print the real waiting time, not a best case scenario or whatever they have now. I do not have a problem waiting 6 months if know it when I place the order.

Please post a picture of your Ishams when they arrive.
In my dealings with Skoak I would personally give them the benefit of the doubt. They've updated various shoemaker times from time to time and actually dropped and no longer carry Edward Green not only for this problem but that is one among many that had something to do with it. Problem is they really don't always know.

Part of my patience of course comes from ordering more than one pair and having to wait a bit more than what I would have wanted too. It does stink but being able to get exactly what and how I want it comes at a price. I've gotten to where I order shoes or boots out of season to hopefully have them for the right season, sometimes I have too wait another whole year to use them properly. It stinks, but at least now my rotation is to the point I have enough so the wait although it tests my patience I have enough without absolutely needing that pair.

It has at least helped me that I follow Styleforum and pay attention to other GMTOs which gives me an idea as to what is going on with some in coming orders.

Anyway these are my thoughts. Here's hoping you get yours soon.

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 February 2016, 05:45 AM   #440
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Well, I got 'em!

I was able to score some Marlow short wings and tassel loafers on eBay. Both brand new at 50% off.

I've worn the tassels a few times and have already applied a light coat of renovateur. Haven't worn the short wings yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0611.jpg (143.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 28 February 2016, 05:52 AM   #441
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I used to have similar tassel loafers (Alden). Back in the day we used to thin iron rods to "break" the bend in the correct place on the shoe (where the shoe flexes). Congrats on some beautiful shoes.

Quote:
Well, I got 'em!

I was able to score some Marlow short wings and tassel loafers on eBay. Both brand new at 50% off.

I've worn the tassels a few times and have already applied a light coat of renovateur. Haven't worn the short wings yet.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2016, 06:18 AM   #442
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I got 'em!

Awesome, Congrats!!!

Frankly most find C&J shell a bit dry and Renovateur isn't much help. Generally a decent amount of people will use the Saphir Cordovan Neutral Cream instead.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 February 2016, 06:32 AM   #443
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Custom Church's as well...best dress shoe I've ever worn. Worth every penny
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (185.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 28 February 2016, 07:53 AM   #444
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Custom Church's as well...best dress shoe I've ever worn. Worth every penny

Exactly, the better the shoe the better I feel.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 February 2016, 08:11 AM   #445
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Just picked up these and another (summer weight pair) in London at Russell & Bromley two weeks ago. Loving them. BTW, I only wear loafers (slip-ons).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2016, 08:39 AM   #446
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I used to have similar tassel loafers (Alden). Back in the day we used to thin iron rods to "break" the bend in the correct place on the shoe (where the shoe flexes). Congrats on some beautiful shoes.
Thanks. I've read that some people will do this with a pen. It doesn't really bother me if my shoes don't have an even break. I guess it just isn't that important to me. :)

Quote:
Awesome, Congrats!!!

Frankly most find C&J shell a bit dry and Renovateur isn't much help. Generally a decent amount of people will use the Saphir Cordovan Neutral Cream instead.
Thanks! Yes, the C&J shell is a bit dry. I think I had pretty good results with the reno on my loafers. I've read that people have had good luck with applying the reno, letting it dry overnight and brushing in the morning. I'll try that.

I do have some Saphir cordovan cream, but I bought it in burgundy for my color 8 Aldens. In retrospect, I should have bought some neutral cream since it can be used on all colors. Oh well, I'll probably just buy some neutral cream.
Old 28 February 2016, 10:20 AM   #447
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I've read that some people will do this with a pen. It doesn't really bother me if my shoes don't have an even break. I guess it just isn't that important to me. :)

Thanks! Yes, the C&J shell is a bit dry. I think I had pretty good results with the reno on my loafers. I've read that people have had good luck with applying the reno, letting it dry overnight and brushing in the morning. I'll try that.

I do have some Saphir cordovan cream, but I bought it in burgundy for my color 8 Aldens. In retrospect, I should have bought some neutral cream since it can be used on all colors. Oh well, I'll probably just buy some neutral cream.
As long as what your using works that's all that matters. Letting the Reno soak in may just work, I've just never tried that. However I thought I would mention the neutral cream as I have had good results with that. Once again great choices, Enjoy!!!

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 April 2016, 05:09 AM   #448
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Finally, 29 weeks later, they arrived, the color is vintage Rioja, it is hardly visible in my poor picture since it was getting dark:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thorpe.jpg (67.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 2 April 2016, 05:17 AM   #449
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Randomly I just heard today that a new major TV drama series is being made about the Northamptonshire boot and shoe industry in the early-mid 20th Century. It will focus on Northampton and the surrounding villages famous for shoe making and will star Tom Hiddleston, aka the next James Bond.

So if you want to see where all your British shoes are made check it out in a few months
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 05:57 AM   #450
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Finally, 29 weeks later, they arrived, the color is vintage Rioja, it is hardly visible in my poor picture since it was getting dark:
Congrats!!!!

Very nice!!!!

This has to be one of the best split toe boots out there.

Yes, I really cant tell that they are Vintage Rioja, almost looks like vintage oak or some sort of brown.

My Ishams in Rosewood Kudu have now cleared customs, I hope to have these the first part of next week.

Also my Thorpes in Oak Kudu were originally anticipated last month, so I hope to see these fairly soon as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons