The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2018, 07:07 AM   #451
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Genius move would be selling for big $$ - getting back on list and get your new one for 50%off while getting new warranty period. Who is gonna be the test case? I’m all talk thus far.
And another generation of grey dealers is born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I actually thought about this but too chicken to try it.
Fear is the path to the dark side.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 09:27 AM   #452
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I mean look, pretend it’s away for service
hah, not that far off
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 10:33 AM   #453
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
why sell? your watch that you love and probably want to keep and hand down to your son just went up by 10-20% overnight... even the Rose Gold will feel it as demand shifts closer to the price point.

It's a win / win for all current owners.
HAL330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 10:44 AM   #454
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
why sell? your watch that you love and probably want to keep and hand down to your son just went up by 10-20% overnight... even the Rose Gold will feel it as demand shifts closer to the price point.

It's a win / win for all current owners.
It’s like the housing runup - use ss Patek as an ATM. Just one perspective, like I said, haven’t acted on it
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #455
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
It’s like the housing runup - use ss Patek as an ATM. Just one perspective, like I said, haven’t acted on it
there will never be a bubble on a watch worn mostly by multi-millionairs.. Some of us here are hobbyists who buy these because we love them, and it's a huge purchase for us..... most buyers of PP don't even flinch when the market tanks... many are even Billionaires.
Old 30 January 2018, 11:15 AM   #456
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
And another generation of grey dealers is born.

Fear is the path to the dark side.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 02:44 PM   #457
Will1979
"TRF" Member

I would think that a price increase of this magnitude would bring grey prices down, not up. Assuming grey prices better reflect “market” prices, the AD price increase should reduce overall demand (how much is debatable) and thereby bring down the market (grey) price. And as the market and AD prices get closer, you might see a lot of the pure speculators drop from the waitlists and further drive demand and grey prices down.

If Patek really was concerned about Nautilus becoming too much of a focus, and they wanted to nudge people toward other models, they should have had all ADs require deposits to get on the waitlist. Not many speculators want to tie up $12k for an indefinite period of time. When the secondary market is so out of step with AD pricing, I think you get a lot of false demand — a large number of folks who have zero desire to own a Nautilus but would take every one they could get from an AD because it’s $5k or more in their pocket. Those folks (and the demand they create) go away as soon as you narrow the gap between AD and grey prices.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 02:59 PM   #458
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1979 View Post
I would think that a price increase of this magnitude would bring grey prices down, not up. Assuming grey prices better reflect “market” prices, the AD price increase should reduce overall demand (how much is debatable) and thereby bring down the market (grey) price. And as the market and AD prices get closer, you might see a lot of the pure speculators drop from the waitlists and further drive demand and grey prices down.

If Patek really was concerned about Nautilus becoming too much of a focus, and they wanted to nudge people toward other models, they should have had all ADs require deposits to get on the waitlist. Not many speculators want to tie up $12k for an indefinite period of time. When the secondary market is so out of step with AD pricing, I think you get a lot of false demand — a large number of folks who have zero desire to own a Nautilus but would take every one they could get from an AD because it’s $5k or more in their pocket. Those folks (and the demand they create) go away as soon as you narrow the gap between AD and grey prices.
Already the greys are adjusting their prices up to reflect the incoming msrp increase. Opportunistic speculators picking from ADs is one thing, but the greys are getting their number, over 40.

Point taken on the second part, but I don’t see a 6k increase on a 5711 stopping any speculator from picking one up when they are going for over 40 in the grey zone. There’s just no reason for the speculator to say no at 29. But it will price out legitimate buyers who were at or near their limit before the increase. They’re not the ones picking up from the greys anyway.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 03:31 PM   #459
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The intention here is to capitalize on the market price not to harm the greys. That would be achieved by increasing supply.
Old 30 January 2018, 03:34 PM   #460
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The intention here is to capitalize on the market price not to harm the greys. That would be achieved by increasing supply.
it's simple ... they saw what the watch was fetching in the free market (and with the penalty of it being "non-authored") and capitalized ion it.

Why leave money on the table? It's business 101.
Old 30 January 2018, 07:23 PM   #461
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Well yeah greys have initially bumped up the price to adjust for the increase but will it sustain?

Take a look at the grey market for 5131P, many are listed at 180k+ but I can tell you I didn't pay that much for mine.

You can list all you want but will people pay that price? That's something we should wait and see.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 09:32 PM   #462
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post

Take a look at the grey market for 5131P, many are listed at 180k+ but I can tell you I didn't pay that much for mine.
I have noticed the premium on the P is nothing like as high as J,G,R - I wonder why? Many pieces listed at 22-30% premium.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 09:41 PM   #463
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
there will never be a bubble on a watch worn mostly by multi-millionairs.. Some of us here are hobbyists who buy these because we love them, and it's a huge purchase for us..... most buyers of PP don't even flinch when the market tanks... many are even Billionaires.
The end users might not be in a rush to sell, but dealers would once new demand dries up and they become available at ADs (possibly with a discount when the SHTF.)

I remember when the 5960P and 5980/1A first came out, in Hong Kong people were easily paying 100% premiums for both models. 2008 came, and the bubble burst - you bet dealers adjusted their prices downwards as they became available at ADs (who is going to buy such an expensive watch after losing 50% of your portfolio?)
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 11:40 PM   #464
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I have noticed the premium on the P is nothing like as high as J,G,R - I wonder why? Many pieces listed at 22-30% premium.
Since P is more expensive anyhow the bracalet is a nice addition but it looks equal or better on strap , basically they charge the same amount of premium for every metal but of course in percent that s different.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 12:46 AM   #465
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
The end users might not be in a rush to sell, but dealers would once new demand dries up and they become available at ADs (possibly with a discount when the SHTF.)

I remember when the 5960P and 5980/1A first came out, in Hong Kong people were easily paying 100% premiums for both models. 2008 came, and the bubble burst - you bet dealers adjusted their prices downwards as they became available at ADs (who is going to buy such an expensive watch after losing 50% of your portfolio?)
first off you're talking about a watch "first coming out" and that is ALWAYS going be a different game than a watch that has been around in one form or another for 4 decades (5711)... secondly, the behavior of buyers in Asia (Hong Kong being a prime example) and the behavior of people in Europe and the USA (Patek's prime markets) are nothing the same.

There will be no 5711 Bubble... just a softening of the demand as price goes up. This is the LAW of supply vs demand.
Old 31 January 2018, 09:03 AM   #466
Xerxes77
Banned

For 5711 the price will increase with 20%! I don’t know if this increase are for all PP watch!
But guys why we are upset? If on grey market the lowest price for a 5711 are 29000€ when mrsp price are 22000€ why Patek don’t earn some extra money?
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 09:56 AM   #467
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I think only people upset are the ones waiting on a list which is understandable
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:37 AM   #468
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I think only people upset are the ones waiting on a list which is understandable
Price rise is understandable but obvs a tough break, would have been gutted to be buying my 5164 now too, but not so much if I had a 5711a in my back pocket.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:37 AM   #469
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Tim Mosso suggested a few good alternatives in his recent video to the 5711 -

1) 5167 in bracelet (freely available now in many ADs and grey at reasonable pricing; full bracelet; same movement; similar dimensions plus porthole bezel),

2) VC Overseas (sizable discount; Geneva seal on in-house movement; good bracelet with strap options), and

3) AP Royal Oak 15400 (reasonable pricing and cheaper than 5711, best bracelet and iconic GG design).
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:39 AM   #470
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

1) 5167 in bracelet (freely available now in many ADs and grey at reasonable pricing; full bracelet; same movement; similar dimensions plus porthole bezel),

2) VC Overseas (sizable discount; Geneva seal on in-house movement; good bracelet with strap options), and

3) AP Royal Oak 15400 (reasonable pricing and cheaper than 5711, best bracelet and iconic GG design).
He left out the 15202 that seems like the no brainer alternative.
Old 31 January 2018, 11:41 AM   #471
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Yeah that's the real alt, all others are flawed in comparison; too strange looking, too weak resale, too large.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:43 AM   #472
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yeah that's the real alt, all others are flawed in comparison; too strange looking, too weak resale, too large.
The VC overseas just doesn't have that juice, and it is strange looking. And the 5167 bracelet doesn't look too far off from your basic Oyster bracelet.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 12:02 PM   #473
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or even better, the 15300 blue dial
Old 31 January 2018, 12:31 PM   #474
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Price increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

With my full respect, those who want 5711 are most likely not looking nor will be happy with an alternative. No matter how good that alternative is. It is an obsession or itch or fever or whatever you want to call it that won't be fixed unless by having it.

Not rational I agree but what is rational in this whole watch hobby thing?

Same applies to the Daytona by the way
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 12:45 PM   #475
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

What is a 15202 ? Which brand? Any pics please? Sorry. Don’t know the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 12:51 PM   #476
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitzDoc View Post
What is a 15202 ? Which brand? Any pics please? Sorry. Don’t know the watch

It is the famous audimars piguet royal oak Jumbo 39mm. The closest iteration to the original genta designed royal oak even before he designed the original nautilus. Iconic watch. Very slim. Fantastic IMHO. Many consider it the twin brother of the 5711 and always in head to head comparisons.

Some photos
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 01:32 PM   #477
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Wow. That’s a beautiful watch.

LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 02:09 PM   #478
Watch Admirer
Banned

5711 is a tough to love at first sight watch IMHO. It doesn't have much going on, it is just timeless and increases in value but from a pure design perspective, i honestly don't see it... The 5711r though is a different animal.
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:09 AM   #479
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitzDoc View Post
Thanks. Wow. That’s a beautiful watch.

You should see it in person. It is better than pics!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:36 AM   #480
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
With my full respect, those who want 5711 are most likely not looking nor will be happy with an alternative. No matter how good that alternative is. It is an obsession or itch or fever or whatever you want to call it that won't be fixed unless by having it.

Not rational I agree but what is rational in this whole watch hobby thing?

Same applies to the Daytona by the way
the best alternative for 5711 is a 5711

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote