The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2014, 08:01 AM   #481
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
It's never been something that's been requested in my experience, and even so, it has to be handled at least once to get the necessary stock tickets on the watch!
Ha! I meant apart from being handled by the white gloved hands at Rolex Geneva, but that's interesting to hear you've never once had such a request.

One more question - are you still interested in becoming a Rolex trainer? You alluded to that being a dream job in the first thread, and I was curious to know if you've had any potential leads in pursuing such career path.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2014, 03:24 AM   #482
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Ha! I meant apart from being handled by the white gloved hands at Rolex Geneva, but that's interesting to hear you've never once had such a request.

One more question - are you still interested in becoming a Rolex trainer? You alluded to that being a dream job in the first thread, and I was curious to know if you've had any potential leads in pursuing such career path.
We have gloves too I have had many requests for watches to be kept in the safe in the standard display box, so it's certainly not unheard of, just no requests for the shipping box!

And yes, absolutely, being a visual merchandiser/trainer would be right up my street! I'm concentrating on sales right now, and if I decide not to go down the management route, then it is very much a viable career path. Getting my foot in the door is the tricky bit!

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 02:25 AM   #483
Rameez-Q
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Date,
hello

its a great thread your doing! and hats off to you, im located in the UK too it would be a pleasure to deal with you from what Ive gathered

Can i ask how long you typically spend with a customer, when I go in AD's i always feel a bit rushed myself get in look decide talk price and leave
Customer depepdant but do you mainly focus on sales but if the oppurtunity arises break into personal conversation and personal tastes?
lastly a bit touchy but how do customers typically break into i want this watch but with this much off
Rameez-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 09:01 PM   #484
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Hi Chris,

A friend told me recently that the council in an East Midlands city has put the rent up to £1m per year for a shop in the shopping center (Mall to our US friends). There is an AD there ( where you used to work ).
Now, I'm a not a big fan of shopping centers and much prefer the Cathedral quarter in this city but I was wondering if an AD such as this one has any stipulations imposed on them from Rolex as to the sort of shop they have?
Would moving out of this shopping center leave them at risk to Rolex pulling the plug?
Old 16 May 2014, 01:40 AM   #485
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
I need to see it in person. They have gone for a matte dial, which is a good start, but no mention of any AR coating, plus I think it is the same Glidelock as on the Submariner. However, the case proportions look lovely, my interest has definitely been piqued!
Chris,

Had a chance to check out the new SD yet? I know that's its the hot topic on the forum right now with plenty of reviews and commentary, but I would be interested to get your opinion.

Thanks.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 08:20 AM   #486
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I need to see it in person. They have gone for a matte dial, which is a good start, but no mention of any AR coating, plus I think it is the same Glidelock as on the Submariner. However, the case proportions look lovely, my interest has definitely been piqued!
Chris,

Had a chance to check out the new SD yet? I know that's its the hot topic on the forum right now with plenty of reviews and commentary, but I would be interested to get your opinion.

Thanks.
Old 8 April 2015, 05:14 AM   #487
Ageing Orphan
"TRF" Member

What happened to this thread? Strange that it just stopped. I bought my Omega PO-8500 from the jewellers that Chris worked at in 2012. A nice guy and he arranged an excellent deal for me at the time.
Ageing Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2015, 05:57 AM   #488
alex82
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710
Icon14

This is fantastic Chris, many thanks indeed. I haven't seen the first thread so will do a bit of catching up!
alex82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 10:17 AM   #489
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

This, and the previous "ask an insider" thread, was always one on my favorite threads on the forum. Would love to see it come back!
Old 11 April 2015, 10:18 AM   #490
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
I was thinking about this yesterday. Chris has many many good posts / insights.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 02:03 PM   #491
Shan77
"TRF" Member

Agreed, great thread. I read through it all last year and learnt a lot.

A year later I'm sure it could do with "Round 3" ???
Shan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2016, 09:38 PM   #492
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I thought it was worthwhile bumping this and the Round 1 thread for those who haven't read it yet http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=156634

Many thanks to Chris for the time, patience and effort he has taken to respond to TRFers' questions on what it is like working for a Rolex AD
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 12:08 AM   #493
cinch
"TRF" Member

I bought a watch (PP 3940) a few months ago and while chatting with the sales assistant we chatted about watch forums, TRF and TZUK. Low and behold the sales man was Chris (The GMT Master. I had previously followed his insider thread and it was great to meet him in person, top man.
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 03:46 AM   #494
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
I bought a watch (PP 3940) a few months ago and while chatting with the sales assistant we chatted about watch forums, TRF and TZUK. Low and behold the sales man was Chris (The GMT Master. I had previously followed his insider thread and it was great to meet him in person, top man.

Glad to know Chris is still in the business! I have not seen him post on TRF in a while.

A fine member.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 07:30 AM   #495
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
He snuck up on me like that too. Where is he now?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2016, 07:48 AM   #496
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
He snuck up on me like that too. Where is he now?
The Watchcentre on Bond Street, he said he liked the idea of working with a variety of watch brands. Really helpful guy and I'm sure he'll be an asset to the team at the watchcentre
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2016, 01:44 AM   #497
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

I've stuck my head around the door again, still alive!

Yes, I'm with WatchCentre now, so I've gone over to the "dark side" and am no longer selling new. Boy, what a world of opportunity it's opened up! Cinch's 3940 was my first really good Patek, they're a brand that I haven't had much chance to handle before.

We get all kinds of interesting things through the door, and the sheer variety keeps a WIS entertained!

Always glad to say hello to fellow members if you're in the Bond Street area

Chris
Old 17 September 2016, 02:09 AM   #498
aunlznl
"TRF" Member

Welcome back, Chris. Glad to have this thread back

aunlznl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2016, 02:28 AM   #499
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Might be popping into WC in next few weeks. PM sent.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 12:38 PM   #500
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you again. Glad to hear you're still working with watches. Any observations you'd like to share as to what it's like now selling pre-owned / vintage Rolexes vs new?

For example, do you personally prefer vintage now over new. How do customers of pre-owned compare vs new? Do you deal with more WISs now in your new role?

Quote:

Yes, I'm with WatchCentre now, so I've gone over to the "dark side" and am no longer selling new. Boy, what a world of opportunity it's opened up! Cinch's 3940 was my first really good Patek, they're a brand that I haven't had much chance to handle before.

We get all kinds of interesting things through the door, and the sheer variety keeps a WIS entertained!

Chris
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 08:19 PM   #501
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you again. Glad to hear you're still working with watches. Any observations you'd like to share as to what it's like now selling pre-owned / vintage Rolexes vs new?

For example, do you personally prefer vintage now over new. How do customers of pre-owned compare vs new? Do you deal with more WISs now in your new role?
Thank you

It's quite a different environment and approach, with the set up of the shop, there are a lot fewer tyre kickers. Most folks who come in are there to buy, and know pretty much what they want.

It's nice to have some extra variety as well, it's extremely satisfying to sell a nicely aged piece to a collector. I had a client in recently who was after a Red Sub, and I pointed them in a direction of one with a beautiful patina and original bezel, a really smart example. You don't get that in an AD!

The customers ask similar kinds of questions, but you do get more WISes for sure - the kind that will throw model numbers at you, and want to know the ins and outs of every piece (a nice challenge). The level of spending power is higher as well, given the location.

I am a big admirer of where Rolex has gotten now with their current range, and they have addressed most of my historic gripes (particularly with regards to bracelets and movement innovation). I still desperately want a BLNR, and I will still categorically state it's the best all-round luxury watch in the world. Saying that, I have been bitten hard by the vintage bug, and if the right 1675 comes up at the right price, I may have to sacrifice my 116300

Chris
Old 22 September 2016, 10:14 PM   #502
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

That is pretty cool to hear. Thanks for sharing. I agree that it's tough to beat the durability and technology in a new Rolex.

Have you come across any exceptional vintage pieces or stories? For example, a minty Paul Newman Daytona or military personnel who has sold you their MilSub. Or better still, a non-WIS selling you their one owner big crown Sub with B&P and not realising how valuable they are.

Quote:
Thank you

It's quite a different environment and approach, with the set up of the shop, there are a lot fewer tyre kickers. Most folks who come in are there to buy, and know pretty much what they want.

It's nice to have some extra variety as well, it's extremely satisfying to sell a nicely aged piece to a collector. I had a client in recently who was after a Red Sub, and I pointed them in a direction of one with a beautiful patina and original bezel, a really smart example. You don't get that in an AD!

The customers ask similar kinds of questions, but you do get more WISes for sure - the kind that will throw model numbers at you, and want to know the ins and outs of every piece (a nice challenge). The level of spending power is higher as well, given the location.

I am a big admirer of where Rolex has gotten now with their current range, and they have addressed most of my historic gripes (particularly with regards to bracelets and movement innovation). I still desperately want a BLNR, and I will still categorically state it's the best all-round luxury watch in the world. Saying that, I have been bitten hard by the vintage bug, and if the right 1675 comes up at the right price, I may have to sacrifice my 116300

Chris
Old 22 September 2016, 10:19 PM   #503
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...It's quite a different environment and approach, with the set up of the shop...

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Very interesting read, indeed.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 23 September 2016, 05:17 AM   #504
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, what a thread! Thanks for this. Glad there was a recent post so I stumbled upon it. I can't imagine there's anyone here who wouldn't want to buy from Chris. Thanks for all you've shared!
Old 23 September 2016, 07:31 AM   #505
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Chris
Hey Chris

Am going to London on Saturday with the good lady, on the lookout for a 15300 but also a general look around. Will pop in :-)

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2016, 07:55 AM   #506
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Been to Watchcentre many times. Bought a couple of pieces there over the years and dealt with Nino. Good stock.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2016, 08:01 PM   #507
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
That is pretty cool to hear. Thanks for sharing. I agree that it's tough to beat the durability and technology in a new Rolex.

Have you come across any exceptional vintage pieces or stories? For example, a minty Paul Newman Daytona or military personnel who has sold you their MilSub. Or better still, a non-WIS selling you their one owner big crown Sub with B&P and not realising how valuable they are.
The coolest moment so far came a couple of weeks ago when a guy dropped off two 6265s with Newman dials for repair, one black and one white. Lovely pieces, and to top it off, he was wearing a 5970P. We also have a Comex 1665 in stock with logbooks and photos from the original owner, that's a special piece of history
Old 23 September 2016, 08:02 PM   #508
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Very interesting read, indeed.

Cheers,
Joe
Thanks for reading
Old 23 September 2016, 08:03 PM   #509
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Wow, what a thread! Thanks for this. Glad there was a recent post so I stumbled upon it. I can't imagine there's anyone here who wouldn't want to buy from Chris. Thanks for all you've shared!
Thankyou for your kind words If you have a couple of spare weeks, you should have a read through of the first part too
Old 23 September 2016, 08:03 PM   #510
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Hey Chris

Am going to London on Saturday with the good lady, on the lookout for a 15300 but also a general look around. Will pop in :-)
Super, look forward to meeting you Vince I don't have a 15300 in stock now, but I do have some interesting AP pieces