The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2008, 11:55 AM   #31
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Thank heaven for small favors. May the weather stay that way for a long time.

I have been trying to say something to this thread and I am gald I waited as the above is perfect.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 12:10 PM   #32
ffighter556
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I always use loctite but only apply from the thread side of link with a spring bar tool, putting it on the screw itself causes binding when placing through the link it sticks to the inside of link and screw I have experienced this on several of my watches come to find out from the AD that it gets inside the link and does not move smoothly
ffighter556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 01:02 PM   #33
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Personally I would not go out and buy some loctite just for the few bracelet screws I come across.

I do check all my watches periodically and I think I would always notice if any screws were backing out. I havn't seen that yet..
Old 25 June 2008, 04:16 PM   #34
entropydave
"TRF" Member

...Having to use GLUE on a watch costing all those ££££?!
If I DID have to use it, I wouldn't tell anyone!

to Rolex for making a strap that potentially can come apart and also making me even more paranoid!!
entropydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 05:02 PM   #35
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I've seen and had the opposite problem. Turning the screw all the way in actually caused the threaded end to protrude from the bracelet side while the head was somewhat recessed. It was scraping the inside of the clasp when closing it. In cases like this, Loctite® could be useful. Setting screw flush on both sides, it was not screwed down tight. Loctite® will keep things where they belong. The last link I did, I noticed that Rolex uses a white compound of some kind. Different material, same purpose. I say use it if need to. Just stay away from the red stuff...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 05:10 PM   #36
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
I've seen and had the opposite problem. Turning the screw all the way in actually caused the threaded end to protrude from the bracelet side while the head was somewhat recessed. It was scraping the inside of the clasp when closing it. In cases like this, Loctite® could be useful. Setting screw flush on both sides, it was not screwed down tight. Loctite® will keep things where they belong. The last link I did, I noticed that Rolex uses a white compound of some kind. Different material, same purpose. I say use it if need to. Just stay away from the red stuff...
Now this is probably the most interesting reply to my "serious" thread!!

Howver, I've never experienced one end of the screw actually protruding beyond the link from the other side.

On the contrary, I've always marvelled at how perfect the length must be to sit flush at the other end after being fully screwed in from the notch end.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 06:14 PM   #37
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
I went on Monday to get an extra link from RSC.
He definately dipped the screw in something. I assumed it was some sort of lube. Could well have been loctite.
Old 25 June 2008, 06:51 PM   #38
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
The reason for using Loctite other than the obvious (preventing the pins from backing out) is so that you don't need to torque the pins. Every time that you torque the pin past the point of final threading you slightly deform the threads and the thinnest portion of the pin at the bottom of the threads. Torquing the pin down is what holds it in place if you are not using Loctite. Eventually over time if you over-torque the pins they can snap off. If this happens your watch may fall off and you have possibly ruined a link. Careful application of the proper thread-locking material allows you to simply screw the pin in until the threads bottom out without torque application.

I completely disassemble my bracelet once or twice a year for cleaning and refinishing and I use Loctite and feel more secure because of it and know that the pins will last longer as well.
That all sounds very good, however with the quality of material we are dealing with I cannot imagine the threads deforming.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 06:56 PM   #39
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
I aggree with JJ

Thre screw bottoms at the perfect length , making it difficult to distort the threads , Loctite can cause you to damage a screw head that is to tight after not being moved for many years .
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 07:15 PM   #40
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Never had to use LOCTITE since I leave it to my watchmaker to add or remove links.

Since I'm not really contributing to "seriousness" of this thread, does that mean that I'm a tosser who gets banned?

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 10:10 PM   #41
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
MY TT DJ Jubilee braclet had screws that backed out by themselves. It got to a point where I was constantly checking on the braclet, rubbbing my finger along the edge to feel if a screw or two were rising up. My braclet never came apart, but it was a constant concern and a maintenance issue. I finally brought it to my AD, who had the watchmaker loctite the screws. Haven't had a problem since, but then again, my DJ has not had much wrist time since then, since I picked up a GMT II C on the same visit, and it hasn't left my wrist since :)
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 07:56 PM   #42
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Do I Loctite?

Why yes, I always do.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 09:20 PM   #43
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

I have to be honest....I had to look up what the stuff was. When people say Loctite to me, I think of superglue!!!!!!

As for whether I would use it????? I would have my AD do anything like that so the answer is a resounding no!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 10:07 PM   #44
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
I've never used loctite either. I do occasionally check the screws to see if they are tight just safety.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:38 PM   #45
RsqVet

I always use locktite as it is cheap insurance.

To those who think it odd that a several thousand dollar watch has "glue" on the threads keep in mind one can find locktite in your 100k car, your 5 million dollar jet or whatever.

Frankly locktite is quite a blessing as is allows a great degree of security along with the possibility of re-working or disassembly where older methods such as staking a screw are much less easy to re-work.

Another trick to keep in mind is that all forms of locktite break down with heat, on manny applications I work with I apply a gentle heat source (heat gun or direct application of a warm sodiering iron) to the fastener prior to removal.
RsqVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 10:48 PM   #46
VDENTALS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj irani View Post
wet and cold......we are on the very onslaught of winter. The south island is in the grip of a cold-wave with plenty of snow, ice, sleet and blocked roads.

Let's put it this way.....i'm no longer in shorts and singlet!!
send some pics jj in south texas we are at 78 degrees thanks
SUBMARINER 16613 M
VDENTALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 10:55 PM   #47
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Just an observation:

On my bracelets, all the links that have screws are covered by the clasp when closed. The sides of the clasp would prevent the screws from backing out.

My bracelets have two links removed. JJ may have bracelets with screws not covered by the closed clasp.
:o) Hi Marrk, Just read your post and glanced down at my jubilee on my DJ, you know I see 2 exposed screw heads which are not cover by the clasp and my wrist are not small, I'd say they're normal. just my observation.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 11:20 PM   #48
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Never used any sort of thread-lock glue & never had a pin come loose
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2008, 11:25 PM   #49
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

This is what I use

From my page at http://www.minus4plus6.com/maintenance.htm#loctite

Lastly, using a Bergeon 160 - 180mm screwdriver, or the Rolex screwdriver that is included with a SeaDweller tool kit, check the screws in the bracelet to make sure they are not loose. If a screw is chronically loose, use LocTite 221 or 222 (red bottle with blue LocTite fluid) on the screw threads to insure that screws are secure. Rolex even recommends LocTite 221 in their directions on using the DeepSea Glidelock buckle.

-Sheldon
Old 13 November 2008, 11:29 PM   #50
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
nope, not today anyways...

its on a ZULU !
[IMG][/IMG]
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 02:50 AM   #51
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDENTALS View Post
send some pics jj in south texas we are at 78 degrees thanks
That's a very old post, Luis.

It's Spring here and quite warm. Back in shorts and singlet!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 05:05 AM   #52
Scojay

Watch: 2007 Yatchmaster
If you subject your body and watch to temp changes; extreme cold and high heat which may make metals contract and expand; some type of bonding agent will provide the structural integrity to the screw or pin to help it hold.
Scojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 09:15 AM   #53
Incurable
"TRF" Member

As I was unlocking my front door the other day, I felt a very usual thing happen on my left wrist. I was wearing a polartech long sleeve 'sweatshirt' type shirt w/elastic at the ends of the sleeves. I opened the door and went inside thinking, WTH... Upon lifting my sleeve, there was my GMTII floating around unanchored and ready to fall to the floor... At first I thought I broke something but after some careful inspection, I realized one of the link screws had fallen all the way out... I have extras so it wasn't the end of the world but I was kinda glad and pissed at the same time. What if it had been another shirt and over pavement (or worse, open water)?? Thinking there wasn't any chance in hell I'd ever find the screw, I went back out onto the porch w/a flashlight and.... lo-and-behold, there it was about 2 ft. from the door (albeit tiny and hard to see). First time in around 20 years of Rolex ownership. I'll be using non-permanent Loctite from now on. I usually do but this one I had done at the AD. Nice...

Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Old 14 November 2008, 09:18 AM   #54
daytona1

I dont think it can hurt unless you use the red stuf so why not.
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 10:05 AM   #55
1MAC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
IMHO Loctite is good, but probably overkill. If you use the stronger versions, the screws will be very difficult to remove if the occasion ever arises. Clear fingernail polish will give just a little resistance to prevent accidental loosening of the screws, but still allows for easy removal when desired.
The above is based on years of experience with GUNS, not watches. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

1MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 02:44 PM   #56
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
That's a very old post, Luis.

It's Spring here and quite warm. Back in shorts and singlet!!
Well if their screws haven't fallen out during the past 5 months they probably won't fall out now.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 03:19 PM   #57
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MAC View Post
IMHO Loctite is good, but probably overkill. If you use the stronger versions, the screws will be very difficult to remove if the occasion ever arises. Clear fingernail polish will give just a little resistance to prevent accidental loosening of the screws, but still allows for easy removal when desired.
The above is based on years of experience with GUNS, not watches. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt.
... or in this case, a grain of powder.

Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...