The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2021, 05:06 AM   #31
Puppysmasher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
In a normal interpersonal human scenario, yes.

This is a shop. Retail. Nothing more. Relationships help, yes. But just how emotionally involved do you think retail staff are?

Come on.
Anecdotal but few weeks ago I stopped by AD to check on my wait list status for a particular piece. In passing conversation I did mention we had our covid delayed wedding coming up and to my surprise I got the call literally on the same weekend as my wedding.

I can't speak for every AD, but there are definitely staff out there who put in an honest effort to make something special happen for their customers. I had zero expectations (I honestly went in because I wanted to check out some demo models like any watch obsessed person) and am not a high roller. I'm still shocked that he remembered our talk in such detail. The agent who helped me was a genuine fan of watches and really went out his way without me asking to pull off something incredibly thoughtfull. The guy could've just as easily went about his day "doing his job" but voluntarily went the extra mile.

Like every industry there are the good and the bad, but at times let's not forget there are good people out there that do take their role with genuine earnest and are trying their best when possible given this market situation.
Puppysmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 05:23 AM   #32
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppysmasher View Post
Anecdotal but few weeks ago I stopped by AD to check on my wait list status for a particular piece. In passing conversation I did mention we had our covid delayed wedding coming up and to my surprise I got the call literally on the same weekend as my wedding.

I can't speak for every AD, but there are definitely staff out there who put in an honest effort to make something special happen for their customers. I had zero expectations (I honestly went in because I wanted to check out some demo models like any watch obsessed person) and am not a high roller. I'm still shocked that he remembered our talk in such detail. The agent who helped me was a genuine fan of watches and really went out his way without me asking to pull off something incredibly thoughtfull. The guy could've just as easily went about his day "doing his job" but voluntarily went the extra mile.

Like every industry there are the good and the bad, but at times let's not forget there are good people out there that do take their role with genuine earnest and are trying their best when possible given this market situation.

Congratulations on your marriage, and a nice touch with the watch from the AD.

You’re right, there are exceptions, but I think perspective buyers put too much emphasis on to this whole ‘relationship’ thing with AD’s. it’s just a bit too granular.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 06:34 AM   #33
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
In a normal interpersonal human scenario, yes.

This is a shop. Retail. Nothing more. Relationships help, yes. But just how emotionally involved do you think retail staff are?

Come on.
It's nothing to do with being emotional. I get the hot models not because I am a super big spender but the AD knows that whatever the economy, I will be spending money. And that is where the problem arises, if any SS Rolex can fetch a premium when flipped, then anyone in their right mind wants to get their hands on one.

So how does the AD choose who to sell to? The person they have never seen, who has come out of town to drop 50k on watches or the customer who has spent 50k over 3years?

I'm old enough to remember when Rolex hot models of today were available with discount from ADs and old enough to remember when my first, a DJ SS Oyster 36mm cost me £1210 with discount in 2000 from a diff AD.

Although these crazy times for Rolex and other premium brands seem will last forever... Personally I'm not too sure. And that's why I know which customer gets priority for hot items.
Old 15 October 2021, 07:25 AM   #34
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Tudor buying to increase AD relation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
It's nothing to do with being emotional. I get the hot models not because I am a super big spender but the AD knows that whatever the economy, I will be spending money. And that is where the problem arises, if any SS Rolex can fetch a premium when flipped, then anyone in their right mind wants to get their hands on one.

So how does the AD choose who to sell to? The person they have never seen, who has come out of town to drop 50k on watches or the customer who has spent 50k over 3years?

I'm old enough to remember when Rolex hot models of today were available with discount from ADs and old enough to remember when my first, a DJ SS Oyster 36mm cost me £1210 with discount in 2000 from a diff AD.

Although these crazy times for Rolex and other premium brands seem will last forever... Personally I'm not too sure. And that's why I know which customer gets priority for hot items.

You have just disagreed with me where I said it’s not an emotional decision by the AD. Yet you’ve gone to reiterate exactly what I mean!?

For clarity, that is correct, I don’t believe it’s an emotional thing. Your relationship is organically driven by spend, not a buddy-buddy let’s build a friendship relationship for desirable models.

The other fellow was a new first time buyer and taking about the AD recognising the purchase for his wedding.
Old 15 October 2021, 08:02 AM   #35
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Gotta pay to play. Just hope that what you buy to help your status, is also something you can live with and enjoy. Doesn’t hurt to be polite with interpersonal skills…
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 08:15 AM   #36
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Don't buy watches just to build a relationship.

Some people fall for that, but I don't recommend it.

The thing to do is visit an AD. Tell the staff what you would like to have.

Drop in periodically, just to look around, talk watches, and ask a few questions. Show interest, genuine interest.

If you see a watch other than the Rolex you desire and you not only like it, but want it, buy it.

You'll then have a watch that you will enjoy and the AD can see that you're not just jerking his chain.

Yielding to extortion is rarely the best course.
As always, sage advice.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 08:16 AM   #37
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I think I may of not got what I was trying to say across with the correct wording. I was trying to say a relationship is a huge benefit but the relationship is not an emotional one. I would not say my relationship is purely money driven maybe 85/15 but the main point is that you cannot expect to have the relationship like I have by spending money on stuff you think will help you attain that hot model.

I think it also helps that my AD is not part of a chain and the decisions of allocation are made by the sales manager and owner in store and not off site at a corporate office.
Old 15 October 2021, 08:25 AM   #38
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
OP it will be very difficult to get a GMT or Daytona without a relationship or significant spend history. Even with a referral it will still be hard. If you only want one Rolex, a gmt, then just go grey. You will pay more but don’t have to “build” or “buy” a relationship with an AD.

If you plan to and have the resources to buy several pieces over the years than pop into the AD from time to time, only buy pieces you truly want. Refer friends and family.. buy some jewellery for your wife or girlfriend or other gifts that you were gonna buy anyway..

As much as AD’s qualify prospective clients you should do the same with an AD. If you don’t get a good vibe from them try another… get a sense if spend history is their only criteria to allocating then govern yourself accordingly..

Most importantly have patience. This will probably take some time..

Btw, I don’t think buying a Tudor chrono will do much as even these are hard to get now as well.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 08:40 AM   #39
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I'd flat out ask the SA. "Listen, I really want a GMT/XX and I'm aware of the realities of today's supply issues and the overall market. If I were to purchase a Tudor would that help move me up the list?"

I don't think there's any harm in that.
Sensible post.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:04 AM   #40
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All this so called AD relationship mainly exists in internet fantasy land, why anyone would think they must buy other goods so a AD will sell you a Rolex watch defeats me. If all perspective buyers stop all this AD relationship stuff and nonsense, then perhaps people could get back buying Rolex watches as normal. ADs are in business for one thing only, and thats to sell as many of there products they have for sale in there retail store to anyone who enters there retail store, just like any other retail store.
I think people tend to conflate the concept of relationship building and spend history. I have a decent spend history with my AD (Rolex, other watches, jewelry, jewelry repair/appraisal) which probably makes me look good on paper when my SA "presents" me to their manager from a SS sports watch.....but those are just numbers.

My family stops by to say hello every couple months if we are in the area for dinner (even without intent to buy something). My SA knows and enjoys talking with my wife, and she absolutely loves my little girl (as do most of the SA that work at the AD). This is the relationship building that will help you keep you in front of mind. I'd rather be represented to store manager as "the guy that brings his super fun little girl to store" instead of the guy who spent $XXXX (there is a whole list of faceless files with that title").

I truly believe that even if you have no spend history, it is more important to make it known what you and spend time relationship building rather then buying things you don't want. If you want to go that route, you may as well pay the extra money to go grey.
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:14 AM   #41
dannymac55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Tudor makes a great watch, buy it for that. If it happens to get you in better with an AD, that's some icing on the cake.
dannymac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:18 AM   #42
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
All this so called AD relationship mainly exists in internet fantasy land, why anyone would think they must buy other goods so a AD will sell you a Rolex watch defeats me. If all perspective buyers stop all this AD relationship stuff and nonsense, then perhaps people could get back buying Rolex watches as normal. ADs are in business for one thing only, and thats to sell as many of there products they have for sale in there retail store to anyone who enters there retail store, just like any other retail store.
Even if all of the bolded is true, it doesn't mean the un-bolded part only exists in "internet fantasy land." The fact that so many people will do and spend whatever they can to get the next "hot" Rolex makes AD relationships a very real thing -- not an internet fantasy.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:27 AM   #43
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Hate to break it to you but, uh-huh. Every honest SA I have worked with has made it clear that a certain amount of spend is what it takes to move on up the list towards a hot model...as mentioned, it doesn't hurt to be a good guy and not be too pushy.

And the "AD relationship stuff and nonsense" you refer to is called human interaction. Those of us who are more skilled in that category invariably come out ahead.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:30 AM   #44
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwalter80 View Post
I think people tend to conflate the concept of relationship building and spend history. I have a decent spend history with my AD (Rolex, other watches, jewelry, jewelry repair/appraisal) which probably makes me look good on paper when my SA "presents" me to their manager from a SS sports watch.....but those are just numbers.

My family stops by to say hello every couple months if we are in the area for dinner (even without intent to buy something). My SA knows and enjoys talking with my wife, and she absolutely loves my little girl (as do most of the SA that work at the AD). This is the relationship building that will help you keep you in front of mind. I'd rather be represented to store manager as "the guy that brings his super fun little girl to store" instead of the guy who spent $XXXX (there is a whole list of faceless files with that title").

I truly believe that even if you have no spend history, it is more important to make it known what you and spend time relationship building rather then buying things you don't want. If you want to go that route, you may as well pay the extra money to go grey.
100%. See the other recent post on "not being a douche" too. ADs and SAs are human beings and if treated with respect, return the respect.
Old 15 October 2021, 11:33 AM   #45
KermitGang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by myanezt View Post
I;m thinkin to buy the Black Bay Chrono White M79360N-0002

Some ADs do count Tudor, some have said they do not. I don’t think it will hurt but this Tudor in particular, is still very rare. I don’t think it’s abnormal for an AD to have only received their initial shipment of Tudor Chronos this year or possibly only 2 deliveries so far. Best of luck to you.
KermitGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 12:40 PM   #46
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

The margins on Tudor watches are the same as Rolex's, and profit is profit to the AD regardless of where it comes from. It might take a lot more Tudor's to hit their required "spend" but it is what it is. Just ask the dealer what it takes to get the watch you want, and what that process might look like. I suggest anyone in this position be honest with themselves and ask why they really want a Rolex. They're great watches, always have been, but the last 3-4 years hasn't created exponential growth in watch enthusiasts, and I suspect most of the people who want these watches know very little about watches or can truly answer exactly why they want one so badly.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 02:54 PM   #47
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
"not being a douche"
Pretty good general life advice for getting something you want.
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:08 PM   #48
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by myanezt View Post
I;m thinkin to buy the Black Bay Chrono White M79360N-0002
If you're talking about the recent twin sub dial panda release, you might be SOL
From what i've seen, that model is in HIGH demand in most markets and its a model you go on a list for, not buy to get on a list

If you're thinking Tudor as a relationship piece, i would think a Black Bay 41, North Flag or Pelagos (ie, the less popular ones) would be a good bet

That having been said, if you take the money you're about to spend on the Tudor and add it to the money you want to spend on a Rolex, you'll likely find its cheaper to go grey...
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:11 PM   #49
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

That having been said, if you take the money you're about to spend on the Tudor and add it to the money you want to spend on a Rolex, you'll likely find its cheaper to go grey...
Very good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:15 PM   #50
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

My SA, who told me I'd be the first to get the next Explorer they get, was out today when I called. Some other SA answered the phone and basically was like he can't promise you that because they have 14 SA in the store and lots of clients with significant spend history. So I was not encouraged after the phone call. I'm guessing it's a bit of both interpersonal relationship as well as spent history, and I imagine dumb luck also plays a role.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:29 PM   #51
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

A relationship is a 2 way thing
Putting your name down for a watch which you are probably not to get in most scenarios and then stalking a SA, taking them gifts etc isn’t a relationship. You’d be better sending gifts to random members of this forum
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:31 PM   #52
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
My SA, who told me I'd be the first to get the next Explorer they get, was out today when I called. Some other SA answered the phone and basically was like he can't promise you that because they have 14 SA in the store and lots of clients with significant spend history. So I was not encouraged after the phone call. I'm guessing it's a bit of both interpersonal relationship as well as spent history, and I imagine dumb luck also plays a role.
I think SAs take turns on what they get for their clients. The next Exp.I slot might belong to another SA, not necessarily yours. Doesn’t mean you won’t get the next Exp.I “your” SA is allowed to sell. You could very well be next on his or her list of clients.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:33 PM   #53
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto737 View Post
I think SAs take turns on what they get for their clients. The next Exp.I slot might belong to another SA, not necessarily yours. Doesn’t mean you won’t get the next Exp.I “your” SA is allowed to sell. You could very well be next on his or her list of clients.
I hope you are right
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 05:05 PM   #54
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Tudor buying to increase AD relation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
I think I may of not got what I was trying to say across with the correct wording. I was trying to say a relationship is a huge benefit but the relationship is not an emotional one. I would not say my relationship is purely money driven maybe 85/15 but the main point is that you cannot expect to have the relationship like I have by spending money on stuff you think will help you attain that hot model.

I think it also helps that my AD is not part of a chain and the decisions of allocation are made by the sales manager and owner in store and not off site at a corporate office.

You didn’t quote my post so I’m not sure if this is for me, but yes, you make sense here, and I agree with this entirely.

It’s essentially what I was saying.

I think when one uses the term ‘emotional’ it probably sounds stronger than it needs to be and is perhaps why my post wasn’t clear. But yes, you must have a certain interpersonal connection aside from the spend.

Cheers
Old 15 October 2021, 05:07 PM   #55
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Lolzzzz...oh boy...
Man the ADs must've had it so good.
Buying watches u don't want in the hope of scoring something in a few years.
There is NO WAY you can save money getting what you want by buying the junks first. If it's possible then the ADs would have run out of junks too.
Go to the nearest grey & buy whatever it is that you want & be done with it. Save yourself the anxiety / capital / time, don't play the stupid game.
If you insist on going the AD route, just say upfront what are the garbages the AD would like to dispose of and pair it with whatever u want.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 06:55 PM   #56
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
100% agree
Could agree more
100% disagree. Couldn't disagree more.
You don't have to buy what you don't want - you just need to build the relationship - personal and business. Both are equally important and when you love watches, having several amazing non-Rolex watches and your wife has a beautiful DJ, it's not that difficult.
Old 15 October 2021, 09:13 PM   #57
myanezt
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
Surprised that VVVVIP only spent $50K and considered as VVVVIP.
Guess depending on location, A close friend spent in Mayors Miami 100K and they don't considerer it enough to give him a Daytona SS. They told straight that they have a lot customers with way above yearly spending ahead him for the Daytona

He went to Spain, spent 28K Euro in Madrid and got the Daytona in 3 weeks... of course since them he never bought anything more from Mayors Miami
myanezt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:37 PM   #58
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I'd flat out ask the SA. "Listen, I really want a GMT/XX and I'm aware of the realities of today's supply issues and the overall market. If I were to purchase a Tudor would that help move me up the list?"

I don't think there's any harm in that.
The harm is the SA can tell you 'why of course, shell out thousands of dollars and I can move you up the (invisible) list'...whatever the F that means.
Old 15 October 2021, 09:50 PM   #59
excelerater
"TRF" Member

so you are going to suck up to the AD
excelerater is offline   Reply With Quote