The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 October 2023, 09:36 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
An hour to decide? I'd have told her she just lost a customer, and walked out.
Have to agree but my response would have been a bit stronger politely with the second word was off. And if everyone done the same and stopped playing these so called AD games then perhaps we could get back to normality. They are just watches made in there millions each year nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:39 PM   #32
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Easy pass. Save yourself the time and energy and go buy whichever you want most.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:41 PM   #33
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Haha just one hour? I wouldn't spend $30,000 on a watch, or even $5,000, unless I've been obsessed with it, spending countless days reading on it, watching YouTube videos, and thinking about it.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 09:51 PM   #34
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Should I have just done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimons View Post
Popped into a Rolex AD to try on a couple steel sports models that I was considering grabbing from the GM (Kermit and Pepsi). Sales woman was very kind to grab the watches and chat, mentioned they weren’t “taking any additional interest” in the Pepsi but didn’t mention anything about the Kermit. I just said “I understand these things take time, but I just wanted to see it on my wrist”

She responded “Have you thought about the Yachtmaster in white gold?” The answer is no, but I figured I’d try it on anyway. The watch looked awesome and I actually found that I liked it a lot, but I wasn’t prepared to drop over 30k at the drop of a hat. She then said blatantly that “With this, we can start to build a relationship to get you the watches you want”. I hemmed and hawed and she gave me an hour to decide.

On one hand, I felt like I just witnessed a classic high pressure sales technique that I should reject out of hand. The watch was way more than I was looking for, so I shouldn’t get it. However, of all the PM Rolexes I could have been offered, a white gold YM on oyster flex is not the worst.

I ended up passing. Did I screw up? Should I have just bought the damn thing?

Well done !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 10:05 PM   #35
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The WG Yachtmaster is a cool watch and my favorite on the OF Strap. Maybe the conversation just caught you off guard. I would have followed up with the SA and inquired what a purchase would bring me and the time frame they would arrive. So many times we get focused on just the money portion of watch ownership and it becomes a competition of who paid the least or most. I try to balance the watch with the cost with future movement and what the overall collection will be with or without a watch. I would be tempted to go back in and talk to the SA, see what they tell you. Thing might have changed and another watch is available or the WG YM sings to you more. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 10:16 PM   #36
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
if it didn't really wow you, then you should walk away from this obvious extortion scheme - a reprehensible business practice.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 10:23 PM   #37
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
if it didn't really wow you, then you should walk away from this obvious extortion scheme - a reprehensible business practice.
There's that word again.

Anybody would think they were holding his family hostage.

What a funny First World we live in.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 10:28 PM   #38
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
These retail sales clerks are really getting their rocks off acting as the “gate keeper” of the Rolex brand. Reminds me of a sleazy bouncer standing outside the club deciding who gets inside. Meanwhile the real vip are getting in around the back through the kitchen door.

OP: Just buy through our trusted sellers.
This ^^^^^
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 12:00 AM   #39
tsimons
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the feedback! I felt like I probably made the right decision but I wasn’t sure if I was going to see some responses that indicated something to the effect of “if you were going to be forced into an inducement purchase, this is one of the better ones”.

I totally agree that this is an insane “relationship” structure and totally toxic sales technique. Fortunately, I’m in a big city and there’s another AD about 4 blocks away that is much bigger and gets a lot more inventory so I’ll be stopping over there soon to meet the sales people there.

And as for the watch, I had never considered it because it wasn’t really in my budget. But once I had it on wrist, I started to really like it. On OF, the white gold YM is SHARP. But as others have pointed out, 30k on an impulse buy works for some, but not for me (not yet anyway lol).

And to the poster who mentioned I could grab both the watches I actually want for a little more than 30k, thank you for pulling me back down to Earth lol. Great point.
tsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 12:10 AM   #40
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
You did the right thing not dropping 30g on a watch, not being prepared for it. If it's your first choice, then fine. Otherwise, big laughter and massive pass. Even if I had millions in the bank, I'd still not spend that kind of money on something I don't really want, makes no sense. I'd go grey for that Kermit and Pepsi if I really wanted them and would be prepared to pony up the premium.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 12:23 AM   #41
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If you didn't want the watch, then passing makes sense. It's such a great watch, though, I don't think you would have been disappointed.

Bottom line: if you get the chance, next time nail down the specifics of exactly what she's talking about. If she's just speaking in vague platitudes, well, there's your answer.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 01:36 AM   #42
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

“With this, we can start to build a relationship to get you the watches you want” The key word in this sentence is "start."
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:32 AM   #43
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Right decision.

Also, never felt pressure from sales people for anything. I’m the customer and I hold the cards (my future purchases). For these discretionary purchase items I can take or leave them.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:47 AM   #44
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
After some silly SA told me that I have an hour to buy a $30,000 watch I didn’t want in the hopes of getting what I did want, it would have taken a lot of restraint to not tell her sarcastically that she was being kind and generous.

This smugness needs to end!

Is it selfish of me to want the easy money/credit to end for the unwashed masses so that the true watch enthusiasts get the upper hand back and can buy what we want to wear without needing to buy a used watch above retail?
Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 03:26 AM   #45
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

These stupid AD games are much like....if you want to marry my daughter, you have to allow her mother to come live with you.

Hard pass.
Old 15 October 2023, 03:28 AM   #46
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL...he wasn't a customer to begin with so she lost nothing.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 03:30 AM   #47
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Ya know...

There is a chance the context of the exchange was lost a little during the post.

Perhaps it was an hour until closing or an hour before the AD was off for the weekend and there was no guarantee the watch would be available when she returned to work the next week.

It probably wasn't near as sinister or smug as some are portraying it.

That said, 30k is way too much to spend on something that doesn't enamor you completely.

Also, after tax is considered, you could buy the YM and LV from a reputable gray dealer and have the watches the next day whilst saving a few bucks.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 03:31 AM   #48
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree but my response would have been a bit stronger politely with the second word was off. And if everyone done the same and stopped playing these so called AD games then perhaps we could get back to normality. They are just watches made in there millions each year nothing more.
So your theory is that if people actually and literally said "Fxxx Off" to a Sales Associate, that would "get (us) back to normality?"
Old 15 October 2023, 03:39 AM   #49
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

The YM white gold can be had below retail at most grey dealers , you did right not to buy
Old 15 October 2023, 03:40 AM   #50
APhound
"TRF" Member

Well I would rather have that watch than both a green sub and Pepsi so for me I would have considered it. But don’t sweat it, if you decide you do want it or any of them just go grey. It’s so much nicer than dealing with those people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 03:50 AM   #51
tsimons
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Ya know...

There is a chance the context of the exchange was lost a little during the post.

Perhaps it was an hour until closing or an hour before the AD was off for the weekend and there was no guarantee the watch would be available when she returned to work the next week.

It probably wasn't near as sinister or smug as some are portraying it.

That said, 30k is way too much to spend on something that doesn't enamor you completely.

Also, after tax is considered, you could buy the YM and LV from a reputable gray dealer and have the watches the next day whilst saving a few bucks.
This is a good point. I basically invited her to give me that condition by saying “I know if I pass now, it’s going to be gone, right?” To which she replied that she had a list of interest that she would start calling. She then offered that she would hold it for me for an hour.

And… an astute observer may notice that she offered a watch that had just come in to a stranger off the street rather than call the list of “relationships” that had been “started” already. So what signal does that send to me about the chance of getting the watches I asked about? That was a significant part of my decision to pass.
tsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 04:45 AM   #52
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I agree, in an hour she was going to call other potential buyers.

I’d love for my AD to ask me to buy a Rolex, for spending history, vs. buying earrings, necklaces, etc., for the girlfriend.

PS … That entire transaction is commonly known as “business” … “retail sales” to be exact.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 05:59 AM   #53
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
And… an astute observer may notice that she offered a watch that had just come in to a stranger off the street rather than call the list of “relationships” that had been “started” already. So what signal does that send to me about the chance of getting the watches I asked about? That was a significant part of my decision to pass.

This 100!

The best response may have been to inquire why someone without any “relationship” would be offered such a special piece before the AD had an opportunity to offer it to one of the clients that had “started” to build a relationship.
Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 06:29 AM   #54
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:

I would have been turned off as well.
But in this context, I think SA was able to hold it for an hour before it going up for grabs..
Nevertheless, $30k purchase decision is not an easy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 06:48 PM   #55
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I felt like I probably made the right decision
This covers it all. You had a doubt. When there is a doubt there is no doubt. Good luck going forward, you will get that SS watch at some point.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 12:12 AM   #56
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaussian View Post
This 100!

The best response may have been to inquire why someone without any “relationship” would be offered such a special piece before the AD had an opportunity to offer it to one of the clients that had “started” to build a relationship.
I've had this experience. Walked into the AP boutique in Miami in 2017, asked about a particular watch, and the sales associate brought it out of the back and sold it to me. I asked, "Aren't there people waiting for this??" He said, "Yes but you look and sound like you really want it and so I am happy to sell it to you."

That started a relationship with AP that continues.

Believe it or not, despite the "shortage" of inventory, ADs continue to be interested in establishing new customer relationships and not JUST feeding the existing customer base.

I know this for a fact based on current discussions with ADs in my city.

For example I introduced a potential new customer to my sales associate a few months ago and a week later they purchased a Skydweller.
Old 16 October 2023, 12:30 AM   #57
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
An hour to decide? lol It takes me two weeks just to decide what dishwasher to buy.
Old 16 October 2023, 01:25 AM   #58
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Popped into a Rolex AD to try on a couple steel sports models that I was considering grabbing from the GM (Kermit and Pepsi). Sales woman was very kind to grab the watches and chat, mentioned they weren’t “taking any additional interest” in the Pepsi but didn’t mention anything about the Kermit. I just said “I understand these things take time, but I just wanted to see it on my wrist”

She responded “Have you thought about the Yachtmaster in white gold?” The answer is no, but I figured I’d try it on anyway. The watch looked awesome and I actually found that I liked it a lot, but I wasn’t prepared to drop over 30k at the drop of a hat. She then said blatantly that “With this, we can start to build a relationship to get you the watches you want”. I hemmed and hawed and she gave me an hour to decide.

On one hand, I felt like I just witnessed a classic high pressure sales technique that I should reject out of hand. The watch was way more than I was looking for, so I shouldn’t get it. However, of all the PM Rolexes I could have been offered, a white gold YM on oyster flex is not the worst.

I ended up passing. Did I screw up? Should I have just bought the damn thing?

Eff that AD and SA!

An hour to decide to buy a $30k you weren't looking for to potentially get the chance to drop another $12k on the watch you do want at MSRP??!

Can't wait for the market to turn and switch the choosers back to the beggars they used to be
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 01:36 AM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You did the right thing, if the watch did not scream yes to you. Don't blame the AD. The SA wanted to move this piece and said you could become a customer with a buy history. What that assurance is worth is anybody's guess.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 03:24 AM   #60
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Hard pass, spend $30k + tax for a watch you aren't even sure you want to MAYBE get a couple watches you do want? Nah. For a little more than $30k you could probably get both LV and BLRO if you looked hard enough.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote