The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 November 2021, 11:37 AM   #31
Afficionado
"TRF" Member

I have both the three hand 4500 and 5500 chrono in blue in addition to a second gen white dial chrono. Finally VC is garnering the attention it deserves. As someone who owns multiple AP, Rolex and others, I find using the VC more often, especially with the quick interchangeable strap system. For the price, you’re getting a watch with Geneva seal in both case and movement, and a mesmerizing blue dial, easily best in industry alongside F.P. Journe
Afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 06:03 PM   #32
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
You don’t enjoy flipping, yet you enjoy passing on Vacheron watches because of their “terrible value retention”. You also hang around a Vacheron thread convincing people of, what exactly?
Stop crying over your insecurities, begging for validation and acceptance that you probably overpaid for a brand known to tank in value and go enjoy your watch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 04:23 AM   #33
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Stop crying over your insecurities, begging for validation and acceptance that you probably overpaid for a brand known to tank in value and go enjoy your watch.

Now now, is that really necessary? Before you embarrass yourself even more, why don’t you remove yourself from this thread and let us enjoy a grown-up discussion about one of our favorite watches.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 01:27 PM   #34
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

What?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 07:26 PM   #35
myporsche
"TRF" Member

bump
Old 20 November 2021, 10:35 PM   #36
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So what If someone “overpaid” and so what If their watch tanks in value. Not everyone is worried about profit and how much their watch is worth on the market. . I love my overseas. If it fell 50 percent in value tomorrow I would still love it and enjoy wearing it. Same goes with my 911 991.1 carrera s. I bought it for cheap and it went up 30 percent in value during covid. But even if it depreciated 50 percent I would still love it the same. Hashtag saltbae
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 05:21 AM   #37
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
So what If someone “overpaid” and so what If their watch tanks in value. Not everyone is worried about profit and how much their watch is worth on the market. . I love my overseas. If it fell 50 percent in value tomorrow I would still love it and enjoy wearing it. Same goes with my 911 991.1 carrera s. I bought it for cheap and it went up 30 percent in value during covid. But even if it depreciated 50 percent I would still love it the same. Hashtag saltbae

OPs post implies the ridiculousness of the market and how it has affected VC, recently undesirable silver/black models with very high asks. It's a brand rich with history and beautiful work but one that has also been plagued with terrible secondary value. The ridiculous prices you are seeing on Chrono24 are due to hype and mostly because it has spilled over from the rarely attainable Royal Oak and Nautilus. Then there's the overall hype around watches in general plus social media influence, forums like this, youtube, new money floating around everywhere, etc. Really BAD reasons for your Overseas to be above retail. You only need to look back about 2 years to understand this. Those familiar with the brand/hobby know this all too well. The hype people won't understand.

If you overpaid for it and like the watch I hope you enjoy it in good health. It's a wonderful watch. I personally would not pay retail/over retail. I had also stated I passed on it a few times at deep discounted prices including pre-owned current generation including blue dial and previous generation, this was not too long ago.

If you buy what you like regardless of price and don't follow the hype you shouldn't care what others think. Let's not get it twisted here, this is another investment thread. Also your hashtag didn't work.

Last edited by myporsche; 21 November 2021 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 21 November 2021, 05:57 AM   #38
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No one is salty, if I didn't want it at 30-40% off what makes you think I care or want it at double markup. Oh wait, I was supposed to invest and flip it to the next sucker for profit? I don't enjoy that, it's not the reason I'm in this hobby. It's just a watch, I tried it on both the chrono and a blue three hander, a nice watch in a large sea of many other nice watches. No FOMO/hype crap or missing any (sinking) boats here.
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about you specifically. I have two close friends who are trying to source a VC Overseas at the moment and can't because they're either waitlisted to eternity or don't have prior purchase history and the dealer won't play ball. So, they're salty about missing that boat. I'm also seeing far more salty posts about Overseas being hard to get, the Everest releases not being full production, etc.

It's undoubtedly driven by hype and the reversal of VC's previous poor resale value on Overseas models. I wish everyone bought because they liked the watch and not the hype or resale but unfortunately those buyers are in the minority these days.

I also suspect their past performance was also impeded by being a Richemont brand. They don't exactly have a stellar track record even if VC and Lange have generally escaped most of their drama.

To my earlier point about production numbers, I don't see Overseas getting any easier to find going forward. It'll take a major reversal of industry demand for that to happen.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:39 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s a great watch and really well executed. After owning it much like the royal oak I just don’t favor the design relative to what I had my eyes on next.

My advice would be if you want one get it now. Silver is the best imho as the date window blends seamlessly with the dial. Premium is rather small if any on silver I think. I enjoyed it on rubber best.
Old 21 November 2021, 10:42 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Thread needs pics

Old 21 November 2021, 10:48 AM   #41
solaire
"TRF" Member

Irony of people talking about The overseas secondary value a few years ago when not to long Rolex secondary was terrible and discounts easy to come by at retail.

Just a not on the Everest.

I wouldn’t call it salty but more furious.
A lot of VC collectors knew about this for years due to a leak. Way before social media has any idea about the models. The fact hardly anyone got one, compared with the list “media” accounts that got one let a bitter taste.

It was always going to be LTD, they way it was handled is another thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:49 AM   #42
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Thread needs pics
Have you tried it on orange and blue rubber ?

IMO white would be better, but silver is still Versatile

solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 11:23 AM   #43
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaire View Post
Have you tried it on orange and blue rubber ?

IMO white would be better, but silver is still Versatile

Nah it didn’t last too long. My good friend was going to get me that khaki strap they dropped before I let it go though. Great watch and more well thought out than the 5711 and 15500 that’s for sure. Honestly I impulse bought an early zenith Daytona and this was a casualty.
Old 21 November 2021, 01:40 PM   #44
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaire View Post
Just a not on the Everest.

I wouldn’t call it salty but more furious.
A lot of VC collectors knew about this for years due to a leak. Way before social media has any idea about the models. The fact hardly anyone got one, compared with the list “media” accounts that got one let a bitter taste.

It was always going to be LTD, they way it was handled is another thing.
I've known about the Everest release since 2019 but haven't followed any of the media since the initial news.

Were any of the media accounts actually sold an Everest or simply loaned them for review? I've only seen them in the hands of collectors myself, save for that guy in China who bought DT number 150 direct from their website. All of the web and social media watches I've seen were etched "Nş X/150" as a review unit. The only social media personality I've seen who owns one is that WatchTaster guy on IG who's always cranking out memes. However I don't know if he's owned VC in the past or how he qualified.

I'm curious to hear more about the media accounts and what they received.

Unfortunately we've all been disappointed about something along the way. Patek isn't exactly cranking out green dial 5711s and I must have not heard my phone when AP called about the 15202IP that I so desperately wanted. Countless Omega fans can't get a new 321 or Snoopy. And, considering the new models Rolex announced in the last few years and most being impossible for longtime collectors to get (meteorite dials, turquoise dials, green dials, blue dials to name a few), availability of any of this stuff is a challenge.

Frustration aside, I'm truly lucky to have mine and wish everyone who wanted one could have gotten one. If I knew of another available I'd find a way to get it to you.
Old 21 November 2021, 06:12 PM   #45
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I was one of those collectors. I expressed interest in the Everest a long time ago.

Instead, a bunch of random social media personalities got one. Some definitely deserved it (as they were also collectors), many did not, the main thing they had going for them is they're "influencers."

Also, Green Dial 5711's. What a joke. Mr. Stern even said himself when he teased it that it'll be a nightmare for ADs.

Ok.

So, why do it if you already know it's going to be a disaster for ADs and their ability to maintain most of their relationships with their loyalists?

Thanks for that, ya chump.
Old 21 November 2021, 08:11 PM   #46
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OPs post implies the ridiculousness of the market and how it has affected VC, recently undesirable silver/black models with very high asks. It's a brand rich with history and beautiful work but one that has also been plagued with terrible secondary value. The ridiculous prices you are seeing on Chrono24 are due to hype and mostly because it has spilled over from the rarely attainable Royal Oak and Nautilus. Then there's the overall hype around watches in general plus social media influence, forums like this, youtube, new money floating around everywhere, etc. Really BAD reasons for your Overseas to be above retail. You only need to look back about 2 years to understand this. Those familiar with the brand/hobby know this all too well. The hype people won't understand.

If you overpaid for it and like the watch I hope you enjoy it in good health. It's a wonderful watch. I personally would not pay retail/over retail. I had also stated I passed on it a few times at deep discounted prices including pre-owned current generation including blue dial and previous generation, this was not too long ago.

If you buy what you like regardless of price and don't follow the hype you shouldn't care what others think. Let's not get it twisted here, this is another investment thread. Also your hashtag didn't work.
Oh Lordy….. your loss equals my gain
Hashtag Himalayan pink salt
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 11:51 PM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

We are all aware Cory didn’t make it up Everest that day right guys?

Old 22 November 2021, 08:41 AM   #48
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Here's a fun pic, I heard its going to 100k, past the top of Everest and to the moon!!!

Old 22 November 2021, 08:50 AM   #49
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I've known about the Everest release since 2019 but haven't followed any of the media since the initial news.

Were any of the media accounts actually sold an Everest or simply loaned them for review? I've only seen them in the hands of collectors myself, save for that guy in China who bought DT number 150 direct from their website. All of the web and social media watches I've seen were etched "Nş X/150" as a review unit. The only social media personality I've seen who owns one is that WatchTaster guy on IG who's always cranking out memes. However I don't know if he's owned VC in the past or how he qualified.

I'm curious to hear more about the media accounts and what they received.

Unfortunately we've all been disappointed about something along the way. Patek isn't exactly cranking out green dial 5711s and I must have not heard my phone when AP called about the 15202IP that I so desperately wanted. Countless Omega fans can't get a new 321 or Snoopy. And, considering the new models Rolex announced in the last few years and most being impossible for longtime collectors to get (meteorite dials, turquoise dials, green dials, blue dials to name a few), availability of any of this stuff is a challenge.

Frustration aside, I'm truly lucky to have mine and wish everyone who wanted one could have gotten one. If I knew of another available I'd find a way to get it to you.
FWIW with the 321 EW, I popped into an OB a few weeks back and they said they can take orders for it, but production will take some time.

Snoopy is off-limits though.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 09:09 AM   #50
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
FWIW with the 321 EW, I popped into an OB a few weeks back and they said they can take orders for it, but production will take some time.

Snoopy is off-limits though.
I wanted one up until I saw it had a sapphire crystal. If they ever do a modern 321 under hesalite, I'm in.
Old 22 November 2021, 10:22 AM   #51
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Definately needs a pix.

VC_Sm.jpg

It doesn't matter the reason for the increasing secondary prices and demand interests, or that the prices will be sustained over time. If a simple Rolex steel trades for the twice the MRSP, something so beautiful will too.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 10:52 AM   #52
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post
Definately needs a pix.

It doesn't matter the reason for the increasing secondary prices and demand interests, or that the prices will be sustained over time. If a simple Rolex steel trades for the twice the MRSP, something so beautiful will too.
Great looking 4500V.

People complain when a watch resells for less than MSRP.

Then people complain when a watch resells for more than MSRP.

If people bought watches they truly enjoyed then neither would matter.
Old 22 November 2021, 02:37 PM   #53
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
If people bought watches they truly enjoyed then neither would matter.
I’m one of those people, it’s 1 of a 3 watch ‘collection’

Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 02:53 PM   #54
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

If the watches we truly enjoyed were actually available to us, then nothing else would matter.
Old 22 November 2021, 11:39 PM   #55
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's a fun pic, I heard its going to 100k, past the top of Everest and to the moon!!!

On the one hand I’m really happy with this and on the other really sad. I effectively paid €9.000 for my blue 4500V in 2019 and now 2 years later it’s worth about €40.000. Why I’m happy is obvious, huge profit. Why I’m sad is the reason I bought it was because I loved the design and I wanted something versatile and under the radar (I wanted a Royal Oak but it’s too recognizable so this is the next best thing). But it no longer is a watch I want to walk around with due to the ridiculous market price. So yeah, very mixed feelings here.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 11:45 PM   #56
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I wish people would stop treating watches like Bitcoin.
Old 22 November 2021, 11:52 PM   #57
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I wish people would stop treating watches like Bitcoin.
Crypto is a key reason the watch market has gone crazy.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 12:35 AM   #58
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
On the one hand I’m really happy with this and on the other really sad. I effectively paid €9.000 for my blue 4500V in 2019 and now 2 years later it’s worth about €40.000. Why I’m happy is obvious, huge profit. Why I’m sad is the reason I bought it was because I loved the design and I wanted something versatile and under the radar (I wanted a Royal Oak but it’s too recognizable so this is the next best thing). But it no longer is a watch I want to walk around with due to the ridiculous market price. So yeah, very mixed feelings here.
Just curious... How did you get a 4500V for EUR 9k in 2019? Sounds like a major steal.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 01:13 AM   #59
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
Why I’m sad is the reason I bought it was because I loved the design and I wanted something versatile and under the radar (I wanted a Royal Oak but it’s too recognizable so this is the next best thing). But it no longer is a watch I want to walk around with due to the ridiculous market price. So yeah, very mixed feelings here.
Wear it and enjoy it. On the rubber or alligator strap, very few people are going to recognize it. Even on a bracelet it doesn't scream "Rolex, Patek or AP", which is what most people (both good and bad) will recognize anyway.

If watches become valued so high that they never get worn then they might as well be valueless.
Old 23 November 2021, 02:02 AM   #60
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

Everest Chrono for sale

Speaking of Everest and availability, this came up in Chrono 24 from a private seller in Germany.. wondering what his AD will do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211122-072915_Chrome.jpg (221.1 KB, 128 views)
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote