The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 6 August 2021, 11:32 PM   #31
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I find the answer is long sleeved shirts, very light fabric in the summer.

Add insurance, no worries here.
Sharp RO edges shreds up fine italian cotton milling. I am of course just kidding.

Also, ROO doesn't fit.
Old 7 August 2021, 12:19 AM   #32
leisen
"TRF" Member

I live in Mallorca. In summer season, almost every week the local press reports the theft of one or several high-end watches. In many cases the victims are tourists and the thieves are romanian and italian criminal gangs who travel to the island expressly to steal. The latter were intercepted by the police a few days ago in the airport when they were going to catch a plane. The watch was recovered. The same happens in Ibiza and, more dramatically, in Barcelona where the thieves are mostly from North Africa.
It is said that the criminal gangs steal watches on demand, expressly looking for a specific guy which wear a certain type of watch.
Old 7 August 2021, 12:58 AM   #33
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, I feel better about my decision never to leave my 1/10th of an acre property. I did go out to water some trees, today, just outside my front gate. Had my girlfriend stand watch with the 12 gauge. Just the sight of it steers most people away. Could be why I have no friends in the neighborhood.
Old 7 August 2021, 01:10 AM   #34
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Wow, I feel better about my decision never to leave my 1/10th of an acre property. I did go out to water some trees, today, just outside my front gate. Had my girlfriend stand watch with the 12 gauge. Just the sight of it steers most people away. Could be why I have no friends in the neighborhood.
All good as long as it isn't the girlfriend but the shotgun that scares people away.
Old 7 August 2021, 01:18 AM   #35
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
All good as long as it isn't the girlfriend but the shotgun that scares people away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 August 2021, 01:59 AM   #36
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 7 August 2021, 07:20 AM   #37
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Come to think of it, it would be advantageous if it were the girlfriend that scared people away, then I could go anywhere.
Old 7 August 2021, 07:29 AM   #38
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
hahaha. My worries in HK are 0! I think we are very lucky to live here and to be able to wear our watches unconcerned! Where is safer!? Even with 0.001 chance that implies you will lose a watch every 3 years to theft! (Calculation below)
I pose this question to you sir, do you believe in the next 3 years you will have a watch stolen in HK?

(Method) 0.01 = 1% = 3.6 days per year your watch is stolen (i.e. you lose 3.6 watches). So for a 0.001 worry (1/1000) you get 0.36 watches per year stolen i.e. 1 every 3 years.

The interesting question we should ask ourselves is - what are the real odds?
[/QUOTE]
I'd be more concerned about having my watches confiscated than stolen, were I in your shoes.

Last edited by cascavel; 7 August 2021 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: spellin.
Old 7 August 2021, 09:09 AM   #39
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Japan is generally a safe country but even here, there was a report a while back that a POLICE officer stole rolex off a victims property….And now apparently there are specific group of hunters called “daytona hunters”.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
Old 7 August 2021, 11:31 PM   #40
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

One annoying thing is that these events can repeat themselves, the thieves do not seem to be arrested or very worried afterwards, we have too lax justice !!

However I have never had any problem here in Switzerland. The crime rate is rather low and 90% of the streets are safe I think.
But it is true that depending on the places or others countries I go to, I think about carrying a Casio calculator instead.

I am not afraid, and I am insured with market value insurance for each, but I am not looking for a combat experience.
It is better to prevent than to cure as it is known.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Old 7 August 2021, 11:46 PM   #41
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
Even if the watch is insured on the wrist, surely no one wishes to have their watch taken away from them. Here in SoCal, even safe indoor spaces such has South Coast Plaza have become hunting grounds for thieves. People get followed to the parking lot and robbed. I’m with you in being hesitant.
Yikes, I’ve not heard of this. I guess the next time I buy a watch from South Coast Plaza, I am valeting my vehicle.
Old 10 August 2021, 06:18 AM   #42
smg8
Banned

I sold my AP ROC and my Patek Aquanaut 5167 partly for these reasons.

I’m fine wearing a £10k watch. But a £30k+ one makes me nervous these days, sadly.

I don’t think a time will come again when I’m comfortable with £30k or so on my wrist.

Great point made earlier about how social media has taken a nerdy under the radar hobby right into the mainstream which surely hasn’t helped.
Old 10 August 2021, 09:13 AM   #43
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsol View Post
Over the past couple of years I’ve been fortunate, and in some cases lucky enough to acquire some lust-worthy references. With the skyrocketing values, I’ve been getting increasingly nervous to wear my watches around town. If you think about it, we are sporting watches that are valued as much as cars or can be a down on properties! I live in San Francisco and we have crime just like most cities, but I never worried the way I do now. These days, my safe and not my wrist is seeing much more action. Anyone relate ?

Beautiful ceramic AP by the way
Old 10 August 2021, 09:16 AM   #44
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I can relate. Why? Because the general population is thinking of watches as investments now.

It's like bitcoin, only flashier.
Old 10 August 2021, 09:23 AM   #45
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Maybe makes this a strong case for the Code? Hard to fence, low in demand, many people think it's a Michael Kors watch, all the down side becomes new up side.

Plus, Greenlantern never confuses it with bitcoin. May cost the same, but one is definitely more valuable than the other.
Old 10 August 2021, 10:05 AM   #46
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
I sold my AP ROC and my Patek Aquanaut 5167 partly for these reasons.

I’m fine wearing a £10k watch. But a £30k+ one makes me nervous these days, sadly.
Isn't that what bodyguards are for?
Old 10 August 2021, 11:35 AM   #47
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I would note that I imagine most folks on this forum drive cars worth at least as much if not more than their watchers. Also vulnerable to theft or loss.
Old 10 August 2021, 11:51 AM   #48
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Live in Chicago. Enough said.

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
Old 10 August 2021, 01:05 PM   #49
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandigangi View Post
Live in Chicago. Enough said.
Panerai is a good choice for a daily piece, you can club someone to death with it if need be.
Old 10 August 2021, 01:11 PM   #50
shredder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF100 View Post
Move to Hong Kong. You can wear an infinite price tag on your wrist here and have 0 worries.
please explain? is there no crime in Hong Kong?
Old 10 August 2021, 01:19 PM   #51
shredder
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if7NSXLUOXQ
Old 10 August 2021, 01:23 PM   #52
shredder
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfmoD5O06qo
Old 10 August 2021, 01:23 PM   #53
shredder
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyjFklr6tww
Old 10 August 2021, 01:24 PM   #54
shredder
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xfBj8Z4qI
Old 10 August 2021, 01:46 PM   #55
shredder
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP7emjj04rA
Old 10 August 2021, 02:36 PM   #56
RLXSRGN
"TRF" Member

This is why I started liking AP over Rolex. I’d rather wear the new black panther at the moment than a Rolex Pepsi . I feel that some watches are only for collectors and watch lovers, where some other watches are louder for no reason.
Old 10 August 2021, 04:28 PM   #57
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Hummm? Interesting topic. I've been wearing all my watches in rotation and have not felt uncomfortable here in San Diego, CA. I can also say none of my watches is as valuable as what it takes for a down payment on a house here. They still could be a big payday for a thief but I keep my head on a swivel and do my best to stay safe. Worst case scenario if I were overtaken, I can replace a watch but not my life.

Be Safe Out There My Friends & Live Life To It's Fullest Everyday!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 10 August 2021, 10:34 PM   #58
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Panerai is a good choice for a daily piece, you can club someone to death with it if need be.

Lol!!

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
Old 11 August 2021, 01:48 AM   #59
Rodsky
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15450ST
Some dude in Beverly Hills had his $500K RM stolen off his wrist while he was at lunch outside at an "in" restaurant (Il Pastaio - I believe). The thieves must have known their watches. None of my watches come close to a down payment on either of my houses (in fact all of them combined don't - I dont have that crazy of a collection by any stretch). Haven't felt too concerned but it also depends on where I go in town. I normally dress fairly run of the mill, so i dont look like anyone that could afford a very nice watch :). I am more concerned/alert about my nice car at a gas station or just parking it.

If i travel then I definitely am way more careful (to include not taking anything flashy - my Grand Seiko or Tag).
Old 11 August 2021, 02:09 AM   #60
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
I'm fortunate enough to travel a fair amount and honestly haven't had any issues or concerns described in this thread so far. Maybe I'm just lucky but overall I do think everyone can benefit from having some additional situational awareness on top of what they currently possess.