The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 April 2016, 08:37 AM   #31
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
That is good if they confirmed that it had the 324 calibre. I asked the dealer to take a picture of the movement to confirm since the paper work I saw said 315, and they never responded.

Good luck with the bracelet option. Personally I love the rubber strap and recently ordered a 2nd strap from an AD for the summer months when my wrists swell more :)
Yea it has the 315 like the paperwork says. I didn't see that until later and updated that info in the latter post. I'm just not sure about not being able to have the bracelet option so may just spend more for a newer model. I am not a strap or bracelet person so to speak but do like having options. I'd most likely wear the rubber strap more often but on that day that I just felt like having a little more heft I'd like to be able to switch them out.

After starting this thread I've even started pondering the idea of trading my three watches plus cash towards the 5167/1a and then buying the H. Moser Pioneer center seconds with white dial if can get it for the right price. I would downsize from 3 watches that I would rotate (that's not including the 5330 since don't wear it anyway) to two but the two would both be very nice pieces. My GSOTM dial and the H Moser dial are very similar in color so that wouldn't limit me but I would lose the chrono function which I rarely use. And if I could work out such a trade then my next watch would be the dark side in black black. I could save and buy the black black by end of the year easily and have the everyday beater watch back in the collection and also have a solid black watch which I don't have now. I know some may say a ceramic watch shouldn't be considered as a beater but I've put my GSOTM through just about as much as my 16610 without a single scratch/chip/explosion etc... It looks exactly like the day I bought it and keeps time better than any mechanical watch I've ever owned.

My only issue with trading my collection for the 5167 is that my 16610 was a gift to myself when I graduated college back in 2006 and its the last model year without engravings so thought would be perfect gift to my son when he graduates. But, I guess an aquanaut would be an even better graduation gift lol.

Any thoughts on doing this? My collection is so small and new except the 16610 that it wouldn't really be like starting over from years of purchases.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 08:43 AM   #32
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yes you can go bracelet and used the 5167 sells for about $14000 to a bit more in mint just serviced condition. Just sold mine and got a Rolex, needed something durable for daily wear with long service intervals. Reasonable service costs that are handled in a timely manner is a nice bonus. Wore the 5167 as a daily beater and it worked fine, yet the case wasn't as robust as I'd hoped. :(

PS: Some early models could not be bracelet swapped as I recall, so call Patek with the first few serial numbers and they'll know for sure. Ask about bracelet cost too, just so you know.
So even though I see a bunch of used ones listed at $16500-$17500 they will take quite a bit less unless just serviced and extremely new condition? What price should I start out at when offering without disrespecting them? I honestly don't want to be that guy who offers just an unbelievable low price as that will normally end all negotiations.

Thanks again everyone!
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 11:14 AM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

$15000 tops, the Patek market is very soft right now and there are many out there for sale. When I sold mine a few dealers already had enough in stock. Keep in mind if you're not sure when it was serviced, it may need it sooner rather than later and that is $$$$ and ~6 month wait. Some good deals on Chrono24. Don't rush it and call around. Been hearing Patek sales have been very slow from dealers.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 07:07 PM   #34
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
Ok. Now that makes sense. I thought I had gone mad because I knew I had seen many owners change from bracelet to strap and say how much more they liked the strap. Wow! It's amazing how sometimes people can persuade your brain into telling itself you were wrong when knowing good and well you had seen it with your own two eyes. Lol. No offense Karl but you had me really questioning myself.

So as long as I confirm the serial is new enough I have no worries.

And, I also checked a little further with the $14000 5167 and its description was incorrect. It is a 315. I don't think it was deliberate but glad I asked. What improvements were made from the 315 to the 324. I'm sorry but if I read them from specs I wouldn't know what good they were so in laymen terms what were they. I'm still trying to become more familiar with horology it's just baby steps though.
I stand corrected. Someone just did it!! Guess dont believe everything your AD tells you!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2016, 02:10 AM   #35
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Go for the 5167.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote