The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2024, 12:59 AM   #31
Chefinspecteur
"TRF" Member

I picked up my 136660 JC yesterday. I never saw it in real life before. I had absolutely no idea how it will look and and how it will wear on my wrist. What can I say? It wears so comfortable! And the look of it is mesmerizing. Can't take my eyes of the whole day. What a great watch it is indeed.
Chefinspecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 04:55 AM   #32
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
116660 DSSD Observations

Since we are professing our love of the DeepSea here...

The day this photo was taken, I was served a buffet of Rolex watches from the back room. CHNR, LN GMT, Submariner Date and then the DeepSea, and several others I was not really interested in. I tried them all on, kicked the tires, and decided the DSSD was the one for me, but it was late and I was coming back the next day to pay for it.

That night I furiously researched the forums, mostly this one. By the next morning I was convinced it was too large for my 7.25" wrist. A tuna can. A literal cheeseburger on the wrist. Ok, maybe not literally. Anyway I got cold feet and the next morning, went and bought the pictured Submariner Date instead.

It didn't last 6 months. The boring flat crystal and weird lugs had me thinking I made the wrong choice, so I moved it and bought the DSSD and I was thrilled. It is so comfortable on the wrist for such a large watch and, somewhat oddly if you listen to the opinions being thrown around here, actually seemed much more graceful than the weird chunky lugs and skinny bracelet on the 11 series Submariner it replaced. The sun catching the domed crystal, that matte black dial and the brilliant external Glidelock had me hooked though.

The next year I had listened to the opinions again and decided the SD43 was the one. This was during that goofy time where you could neither get, nor try on, a watch you were interested in, so I waited a little over a year to get the call for a SD43. I didn't even make it out of the AD with that one, I couldn't handle the weird caseback. The DSSD sits flat as a pancake on my wrist, while I could slip the tip of a finger around the edge of the SD43 and it looked odd up that high. Cranked down tight, it hurt my wrist. Beautiful watch, it hurt a little to pass up on that beauty after waiting for it, but it really physically hurt to wear it.

So I'll disagree with you on one thing, I like the 12 series DeepSea slightly better than the 116660 for the slightly wider bracelet and clasp, probably due to past 11 series Sub trauma, but other than that I think you are spot on. The DSSD is the King of Rolex, IMO. The reigning champ. KO'd both other Rolex divers (available at the time) off my wrist. It may get a shot at 3, as I am again listening to my inner voice influenced by strangers on the internet telling me to try a smaller watch (124060 or maybe 116600 SD4K) but we will see how that goes.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 10:30 AM   #33
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
Since we are professing our love of the DeepSea here...

The DSSD is the King of Rolex, IMO. The reigning champ. KO'd both other Rolex divers (available at the time) off my wrist. It may get a shot at 3, as I am again listening to my inner voice influenced by strangers on the internet telling me to try a smaller watch (124060 or maybe 116600 SD4K) but we will see how that goes.
I am honored to be the emcee of this love-fest. So many wonderful stories here!

For me the 116600 SD4K is next. I’m in love with the Glidelock as much as the DSSD itself and the SD4K seems like the perfect combination of smaller size with the ultimate in adjustment. It’s going to take me awhile but what’s life without dreams, eh!
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 12:46 PM   #34
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I am honored to be the emcee of this love-fest. So many wonderful stories here!

For me the 116600 SD4K is next. I’m in love with the Glidelock as much as the DSSD itself and the SD4K seems like the perfect combination of smaller size with the ultimate in adjustment. It’s going to take me awhile but what’s life without dreams, eh!
Keep in mind the SD4K doesn't have the same Glidelock as the DSSD
Also a standard SD Caseback.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 12:55 PM   #35
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Keep in mind the SD4K doesn't have the same Glidelock as the DSSD
Also a standard SD Caseback.
I didn’t know. I’m here to learn, what can you tell me about the differences in the Glidelock?

Edit: I found some pictures online and better understand the differences that I was unaware of. I also ran across an old thread on the subject in which you make your feelings known about the caseback “wart.” Still, any observations are welcomed.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 02:15 AM   #36
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
That is true, the external glidelock is hard to give up once you get used to it. The thought of removing my watch to adjust the bracelet on a hot summer day, possibly in public, on a hard surface? Oh, the horror. I adjust my DSSD basically without even thinking about it at this point.

As far as the bulbous caseback, I believe it was actually the same exact part between the 116600 SD4k and 126600 SD43. Now, I haven't tried on a SD4K since the day I bought my Pelagos in 2014ish, salesman was trying to talk me into the Sea Dweller by offering a discount (yes I kick myself often for passing that deal up), but I don't remember it being as uncomfortable as the SD43 was. I don't know if it was because of less weight, or maybe the just smaller size of the watch and how the bracelet wraps around my wrist more, or just poor memory, but it seemed like less of an issue then. Trying on an SD4K before purchase is an obvious problem at this point, unless I find myself in the vicinity of DavidSW or OCWatchGuy's brick and mortar store and they have one in stock at that time, I may be pulling a catch and possible release on one. If I can get used to a 40mm size, it does seem like it may be the only one to unseat the DSSD.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 06:18 AM   #37
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I didn’t know. I’m here to learn, what can you tell me about the differences in the Glidelock?

Edit: I found some pictures online and better understand the differences that I was unaware of. I also ran across an old thread on the subject in which you make your feelings known about the caseback “wart.” Still, any observations are welcomed.
The "wart". Lol.
I typically reserve that one for certain Omega's with regard to their most prominent HEV.

That beautiful piece of engineering on the DSSD clasp is absolutely unequalled.
DSSD Glidelock for the gold standard win
Long may it remain an exclusive to the Deep Sea
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 07:44 AM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
I have found that I wear my Challenge far more often than my other two Sea Dweller versions:

Ali
Nice pic, the Challenge makes the DSSD look like a normal Sub, its big for a Rolex but always felt good on my wrist, looking at the 13 for this summer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 08:09 AM   #39
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Congrats, Kevin, the DSSD in any iteration is a special diver. and I can see the charm in the original 116660.

I love the glidelock adjustability on the DSSD. I also find the glidelock on the other 6-digit Rolex divers to be more than adequate. I would not turn down a Sea-Dweller or Submariner because it didn't have the same glidelock as their big brother.

I'm one that finds the more "bulbous" caseback of the these Sea-Dwellers 16600, 116600, and 126600 is noticeably less comfortable as say a Submariner, or even the DSSD. And yet I have a 116600 with which I just can't part; it has a special place in the collection, I find it is a truly unique iteration of this classic diver line.

But to each their own, for many the Sea-Dweller's protruding caseback isn't an issue.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 09:15 AM   #40
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Totally agree, I love my Deepsea and find it wears extremely comfortably. Removed the dive extension per recommendation from the forum and it made a world of difference.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote