The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 July 2014, 06:16 PM   #31
M4rkg4rd3n
"TRF" Member

Great watch enjoy it for many years to come.
M4rkg4rd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 06:55 PM   #32
sebastien1975
"TRF" Member

No. You should not wear a 15400. Instead you should upgrade it for a Jumbo !

More seriously, I would never offer an AP to a 16 year-old. But you are fortunate enough to have one, then you should wear it. Who said you need to be an old fart to have good taste?
sebastien1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 07:49 PM   #33
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I would have loved one at 16 too!
Really?

Would you have even known what one was at 16?

I can't imagine any 16 year olds into haute horology?!
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:10 PM   #34
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
Really?

That's the point, this kid already has experience of nice watches and he has even joined an internet forum so he is about ten-twenty years ahead of most of us. On that basis as you are not looking to show off or brag then I say wear it and enjoy it, you have the right attitude.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:18 PM   #35
robisan
"TRF" Member

Post some pics first. :)
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:44 PM   #36
edo
"TRF" Member

You seem pretty mature for a 16 year old.... so, wear it in good health, and get a ceramic ROO/Diver as a daily beater :)
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:54 PM   #37
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Well, age is just a number. So doesn't matter what age you are - but the attitude with which you wear the watch.

Wear it because you like it, not because you want to project an image of which you are not.

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 09:26 PM   #38
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
Honestly wear it and wear it with pride. You seem to know watches so it's not over the top. Personally for me at mid to late 20s I wouldn't wear it everyday but not wear it twice a year. Use it at least one day every week. When you feel like it wear it. However with you daily watch id look at something less for obvious reasons.

I learnt not to worry about what people think of me and what I choose to wear or own.

Honestly you would be surprised how little people notice nor care about what's on your wrist.
Rusty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 09:36 PM   #39
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
Forget the haters....wear it and enjoy it!
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 09:51 PM   #40
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Gold
We gave my oldest daughter a TAG automatic mid size watch for High School graduation. The watch at the time cost about $1600. It was a classis sporty steel watch. She still has it and she wears it regularly at 28. I know it's not a Rolex or an AP but it's relative. We treat our children well and we try to teach them lessons that will stay with them for life. If rewarding a child with an expensive gift bothers the minority so be it. Enjoy the watch and wear it with respect!
watchdog507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 09:57 PM   #41
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Can or should? Can...of course anyone with a wrist can wear a watch. Should is a different story IMHO.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 10:05 PM   #42
texex91
"TRF" Member

It's a great watch--wear it when you want.

Since you like the AP brand, might I suggest a Diver (any flavor next)--sports watch will be more versatile for you.

Post a pic of 15400 on your wrist--would like to get a reference for the size on a 16 year old wrist.

Enjoy the watch and congrats!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 10:11 PM   #43
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
I am really surprised by some of the posts!

There is some animosity to a younger person wearing an AP!

Noah, by way of his wording and subsequent comments, sounds like an educated and respectful young adult.

Just because some of us wouldn't give our kids an expensive watch, doesn't mean that it is only way to think.

I subscribe to the belief that if you teach your child right from wrong, bring them to a certain mentality and show them what they 'should' strive for, perhaps they will set a higher bar for themselves.

Noah, if you love the watch, wear it. Post pics! Age is irrespective of personal style.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 10:15 PM   #44
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Can a 16yo wear an AP? If you have wrists, then yes. If I got an AP at 16yo, you bet I'd be rocking an AP. Should you wear an AP? You got it as a gift, now if I gave somebody an AP and they didn't wear it, I'd be pissed! That could have went to me!

But seriously, I would wear it but, keep a few things to keep in mind:

1) Don't be a d-bag about your wealth- have the same attitude toward it as others do toward a Timex or Casio. The last thing you want to be known for is "that trust fund brat with the $20,000 watch". Don't let it define you.

2) If you are working things are different- depending on the job, your supervisor/co-workers may take offense/be jealous regarding your wealth.

3) The AP is not as durable as a g-shock or Rolex. And servicing it is going to cost $$$ and take some time. This isn't a "let's go to the mall watch kiosk and get it fixed while I get my Auntie Anne's pretzel fix".

Other than that, wear away and show a pic!

If you can keep up with the running costs, I think that would be a nice watch to go through life with- a watch you've had since you were 16yo.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 10:20 PM   #45
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post

Noah, by way of his wording and subsequent comments, sounds like an educated and respectful young adult.

Just because some of us wouldn't give our kids an expensive watch, doesn't mean that it is only way to think.

I subscribe to the belief that if you teach your child right from wrong, bring them to a certain mentality and show them what they 'should' strive for, perhaps they will set a higher bar for themselves.

Noah, if you love the watch, wear it. Post pics! Age is irrespective of personal style.
Well said Alex
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 10:56 PM   #46
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah S View Post
Can you elaborate please?
I personally think 16 is a bit young. Not to say it is a bad thing, just my personal opinion.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 11:01 PM   #47
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
I don't care how responsible you are, Rolexes and APs aren't watches for teens. Yeah, I grew up rich, but that didn't mean that my parents were buying me $10K+ watches (emphasis on plural here), never mind that I got good grades, ate my vegetables, walked old ladies across the street, etc.

I work for my stuff, and you damn well better believe that my kids will, too. Sure, I've bought my son a G-Shock or two for his birthday/Christmas, but he's just gonna have to wait until he's earned the money on his own before he gets an AP.

Rolexes? Christ, when did those start rolling in?

Regards,
Adam
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 11:10 PM   #48
AmanS24
"TRF" Member

The fact you made this thread to what in my mind would be seeking validation is enough for me to conclude you as a person are not ready to wear the watch in question.
Age is just a number, this is more a question of maturity.
AmanS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 11:22 PM   #49
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Can a 16 year old wear an AP?

I got an Omega as a graduation present in my teens. And that was over 4 decades ago. We were not wealthy - it was a traditional celebration of an accomplishment on the threshold of passage into adulthood.

Wore it daily for 20+ years. Then put it away, rediscovered it after going into Rolexes, refurbished it carefully and now wear it with fond memories of family.

I'd say you can begin your journey now and wear it with pride. Naysayers aside - you are the best judge.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 11:33 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
Well, age is just a number. So doesn't matter what age you are - but the attitude with which you wear the watch.

Wear it because you like it, not because you want to project an image of which you are not.

First and foremost this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post

Well said.

I didn't have an AP or Rolex at your age but I had a Breitling navitimer. I had been receiving watches as gifts from my mother annually since kindergarten. It is how I got into this hobby in the first place.

I almost think my 300 dollar Swiss army in first grade was more over the top than was my Breitling in high school, but I digress.

Wear the watches, be modest, don't flaunt wealth and people will mostly treat you without judgement. Those that do, distance yourself from immediately.
Old 26 July 2014, 11:38 PM   #51
SearChart
TechXpert

If you appreciate it, sure why not.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 11:42 PM   #52
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree completely with Wes.

The real risk with teens wearing nice watches is the chance of theft, either by taking it off for a split second and it "disappears" or a gang of classmates decide to take it from you.

I would say wear it, but make sure your parents have your watches insured under their home policy (usually there is a "rider" to the policy). Then, no worries. Rock that baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Don't let anybody tell you that you cannot wear it because of your age. If you like it, WEAR IT!

Having said that, realize that an AP not rugged like a G Shock or a Rolex. At 16, I'd imagine that you get plenty of physical activity so it may not make sense to wear an AP every day. Maybe it can be your weekend watch? Even if you are a very careful person, I'd be careful wearing your watch to school or around friends your age. I don't know your situation (maybe you have very mature friends), but just keep in mind what I said.

Congrats on such a nice watch, by the way. You are very lucky! Post some pics when you get a chance.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 01:08 AM   #53
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
It's a great watch--wear it when you want.

Since you like the AP brand, might I suggest a Diver (any flavor next)--sports watch will be more versatile for you.

Enjoy the watch and congrats!

That's awesome - Noah, you're getting some good advice on your next reference!

My fav sports AP... Ceramic

VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 01:11 AM   #54
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
My interest in fine watches started at 16, I bought my first 'nice' watch (Cartier tank) at 18, can't see why one can't be into haute horlogery at a young age.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 01:38 AM   #55
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Really?

Yes I would have known what it was. Especially if I was sixteen in 2014.
Old 27 July 2014, 01:45 AM   #56
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Yes I would have known what it was. Especially if I was sixteen in 2014.
I imagine you are in a small elite group then.

Most adults I know with an interest in watches haven't even heard of it!
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 01:48 AM   #57
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
I imagine you are in a small elite group then.

Most adults I know with an interest in watches haven't even heard of it!
Yes it's true. My humor is unbeatable. Just ask my wife.
Old 27 July 2014, 02:45 AM   #58
AGKNYC
"TRF" Member

wear it and don't even think twice. if it was RG or something super exclusive and extra flashy I would say no...but the 15400 is a perfect watch for you. 95% of peeps won't even know what it is. the rest who do will respect that it's the 15400 for a young kid rather than anything else. you seem well read and well mannered; you prob deserve it...and it will act as motivation for you to keep doing well...ESP in school.

Noah, wear it and don't even think about it. I'm only 30 and just bought the 26401RG. I have the nicest watch in my entire workplace and I'm one of the youngest guys. it's no biggie...it's proof that you can handle the responsibility and set a high level of standards that you should always try to maintain.
AGKNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 04:11 AM   #59
stevenopoly
"TRF" Member

screw all these haters saying don't wear it. cry me a river

Just maintain a good attitude and not by overly cocky or showy.

No big deal here.
stevenopoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 05:16 AM   #60
osamu
"TRF" Member

I would suspect it would be noticed a lot less than any rolex. How often do you wear your rolex(es) around ? I bet if like 1/100 people notice your rolex, maybe 1/1000 would notice an AP, but I wouldn't put it too far behind Rolex as far as brand recognizably. If you don't feel comfortable wearing a rolex around, I'm not sure an AP is much different.

Obviously be smart about wearing jewelry around, in some neighborhoods and around some people, but that really goes for any age.

And, if you do anything like I did when I was 16... (by which I mean... when the 'jackass' TV show just came out)... yea maybe I'd leave it at home.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote