The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 February 2022, 10:24 AM   #31
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Yes if I like the watch, no if I don’t like the watch.

I encountered this exact situation last year with regards to the 26331. I was offered the black dial 26331 but turned it down due to it being a non in-house movement, non see through case back and the asymmetrical date position. I told my SA that I would be back to register my interest for the new ROC should all the issues above be addressed. This was after the AP social event last year which showed the new ROC in rose gold. We could all see the new SS ROC coming with the above improvements. On the release of the new ROC last week, my SA now said she can’t promise me when I will be allocated one….. hence the frustration last week…

Any regrets turning down the old 26331? Absolutely not though despite the price of 26331 going up to the moon. If I had bought it and not bond with it, eventually it would be sold quickly and be blacklisted by AP.

Thanks.

Your post and rationale makes complete sense here. Yes I like (love) the 15500 (been waiting 2.5 years……) but I want to be buying the best iteration of the brand in that reference/type of watch.

I had a similar journey with the 26331 Panda and kick myself I missed one last year and now the market/supply is so much more challenging as we all know.

But as you rightly said the new ROC in Rose Gold last year laid the foundation for the fabulous new 25th ROC S/S released last week but getting one this year is gonna be a bunfight I fear.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:29 AM   #32
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
That’ll depend if you’re buying it because you really like it, or because everyone wants one.

I’m not a fan of the 15500 as I think it looks like a dinner plate (especially on smaller wrists), so I’ll be happy to wait as I don’t think they can make the next iteration any worse.
But I also know of people who love the aesthetics of the empty dial.

Thanks.

Been waiting 2.5 years and could not care less about the secondary market/hype at all. Missed out on the 15400 so swapped into the 15500 but it’s been a slog that only now feels towards the end game.

I’m going to pop into AP House and have a face to face chat and plot a route through this I think.
Old 2 February 2022, 10:29 AM   #33
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Thanks.

Your post and rationale makes complete sense here. Yes I like (love) the 15500 (been waiting 2.5 years……) but I want to be buying the best iteration of the brand in that reference/type of watch.

I had a similar journey with the 26331 Panda and kick myself I missed one last year and now the market/supply is so much more challenging as we all know.

But as you rightly said the new ROC in Rose Gold last year laid the foundation for the fabulous new 25th ROC S/S released last week but getting one this year is gonna be a bunfight I fear.
I don’t mind waiting if it’s possible to get one. Allocation for this year is highly unlikely so I have accepted fate. I just hope that one will arrive eventually before it is discontinued. Fingers crossed and we will see what the future holds.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:30 AM   #34
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I respect your judgment here….I think the point here that is bugging me is that in absence of knowing what the “new” 15500 will comprise of it’s an uniformed decision process.

I feel the new releases last week were on the money so fully expect any replacement 15500 to be a bit special. Plus if the reference has only lasted the 3 years it says to me that AP feel they could/will have done better.

Don’t get me wrong, the 15500 is a beautiful piece but as AP fans it’s about navigating the right path for our collection/expenditure.
I have no special insight, but looking at past actions, they updated 15500 and 26331 at different times. Suspect same this time as well.

If update, maybe hour markers move and buy I suspect definitely logo gets removed. I personally prefer 15400 dial over 15500, and would prefer the current one with AP logo over one without. But I will take any offered for a dial color I don’t have! Lol. Come on ice blue in 41mm!!!!!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:37 AM   #35
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I have no special insight, but looking at past actions, they updated 15500 and 26331 at different times. Suspect same this time as well.

If update, maybe hour markers move and buy I suspect definitely logo gets removed. I personally prefer 15400 dial over 15500, and would prefer the current one with AP logo over one without. But I will take any offered for a dial color I don’t have! Lol. Come on ice blue in 41mm!!!!!
I understand the “new” 15500 won’t be announced until April this year.

But I hear you on the potential changes and how those might be implemented and work. Or not!

Losing the AP logo on any new 15500 41 would be an epic fail I feel.

Ice Blue 41 would be immense

And yes the 15400 dial is slightly better balanced but that ship has sailed for me.
Old 2 February 2022, 10:39 AM   #36
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t mind waiting if it’s possible to get one. Allocation for this year is highly unlikely so I have accepted fate. I just hope that one will arrive eventually before it is discontinued. Fingers crossed and we will see what the future holds.

Yes, that’s the pill I’m having to contemplate now….no assurance to get any replacement 15500 so do I bite now for the current 15500 or “hold” for any new one…..

Needs more thought and a face to face with my AP House contact soon.
Old 2 February 2022, 10:40 AM   #37
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

If I were to guess, there will be a dark green dial just like the 41 chrono. So here you go, a green dial 41mm RO time and date
EdwardC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:42 AM   #38
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, that’s the pill I’m having to contemplate now….no assurance to get any replacement 15500 so do I bite now for the current 15500 or “hold” for any new one…..

Needs more thought and a face to face with my AP House contact soon.
If you like the 15500 and you are offered one, I suggest you take it. With the new releases in April, it will be the same cycle of certain customers being prioritised first before the rest get the chance to obtain one. The key is whether you like the 15500 should it be offered to you. Good luck!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:47 AM   #39
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
If I were to guess, there will be a dark green dial just like the 41 chrono. So here you go, a green dial 41mm RO time and date
You’re not helping here

I’d take khaki over blue in a heartbeat
Old 2 February 2022, 10:54 AM   #40
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But I hear you on the potential changes and how those might be implemented and work. Or not!

And yes the 15400 dial is slightly better balanced but that ship has sailed for me.
What’s the source on the April date?

Judging by this post, it looks like the new design language will in fact ditch the AP monogram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZZpNtxq...dium=copy_link

I haven’t seen anything concrete on the 15500s discontinuation etc. would love more info here
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 10:54 AM   #41
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
If you like the 15500 and you are offered one, I suggest you take it. With the new releases in April, it will be the same cycle of certain customers being prioritised first before the rest get the chance to obtain one. The key is whether you like the 15500 should it be offered to you. Good luck!
That’s not where I started my thinking but am coming around to that really.

Bird in the hand and all that jazz.

2022 allocations are going to be very, very hard work is the impression I have currently.
Old 2 February 2022, 01:49 PM   #42
Emery
"TRF" Member

If recent releases are anything to go by, the logical next step would be to replace the AP logo with the Audemars Piguet one, sort of like a larger 15550?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 02:03 PM   #43
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
What’s the source on the April date?
April 15th is the big anniversary. Mentioned in several reports from the events with FHB and Michael Friedman last week.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 08:22 PM   #44
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
April 15th is the big anniversary. Mentioned in several reports from the events with FHB and Michael Friedman last week.

Ties in with the timing I'd heard too
Old 3 February 2022, 12:30 AM   #45
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re not helping here

I’d take khaki over blue in a heartbeat
How about ceramic

Scary how easy it would be for AP to push the RO hype to the stratosphere - a little bit of massaging of case size and dial layout, ice blue and khaki dials and to top it off, a 41mm clone of the 77350CE. Can't wait for April.
Old 3 February 2022, 12:50 AM   #46
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Just ran into this article https://timeandtidewatches.com/all-o...the-royal-oak/ which mentions that the 77350CE also received some subtle updates (incl. a 50th anniversary rotor and tweaks to the dial layout), even though the main model number wasn't changed. Apparently AP also figured out a way to make the CE bracelet pins invisible.

Hard to believe that out of all the "common" ROs only the 15500 would be left alone. Makes one wonder about openworked and QPs. One presumes that any remaining CE models would also received the updated bracelet construction.
Old 3 February 2022, 01:28 AM   #47
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How about ceramic

Scary how easy it would be for AP to push the RO hype to the stratosphere - a little bit of massaging of case size and dial layout, ice blue and khaki dials and to top it off, a 41mm clone of the 77350CE. Can't wait for April.

Indeed, plenty of headroom for some special new launches this year.
Old 3 February 2022, 11:07 PM   #48
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. All the references I’ve seen to that date just mention the introduction at Baselword. Now, how does that tie in to the possibility of more launches on/near that date? Were additional launches specifically mentioned along with the April date?

It would seem odd to have another “50th anniversary” - AP introduced so many watches in January under the same moniker, and promoted it heavily. Also, it would seem odd to give the 15500ST just a 2 year run. Finally, let’s not forget the 15450/15400s incongruence in design language with the 15500 (no “Automatic”). So no reason it can’t happen again with, say the AP monogram. Playing devils advocate here…
Old 4 February 2022, 02:08 AM   #49
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. All the references I’ve seen to that date just mention the introduction at Baselword. Now, how does that tie in to the possibility of more launches on/near that date? Were additional launches specifically mentioned along with the April date?

It would seem odd to have another “50th anniversary” - AP introduced so many watches in January under the same moniker, and promoted it heavily. Also, it would seem odd to give the 15500ST just a 2 year run. Finally, let’s not forget the 15450/15400s incongruence in design language with the 15500 (no “Automatic”). So no reason it can’t happen again with, say the AP monogram. Playing devils advocate here…
Baselworld is kaputt. So this will be another AP event. From revolutionwatch.com: "Important to remember that this is only the start of the celebration, the next big date that Friedman and Audemars Piguet’s CEO, François-Henry Bennahmias kept eluding to during the presentation was that of the 15th of April 2022." and quoting Friedman "This anniversary year is [about] looking ahead as much as looking behind and we’re going to see these touch points throughout the whole collection.

So, it's a year long celebration, and even without any insider info, I'd be willing to bet that the 15500 will not make it though the year untouched.
Old 4 February 2022, 02:56 AM   #50
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Baselworld is kaputt. So this will be another AP event. From revolutionwatch.com: "Important to remember that this is only the start of the celebration, the next big date that Friedman and Audemars Piguet’s CEO, François-Henry Bennahmias kept eluding to during the presentation was that of the 15th of April 2022." and quoting Friedman "This anniversary year is [about] looking ahead as much as looking behind and we’re going to see these touch points throughout the whole collection.

So, it's a year long celebration, and even without any insider info, I'd be willing to bet that the 15500 will not make it though the year untouched.
Appreciate it. Wasn’t aware of this article. In any event, I really hope they keep the “AP” monogram on the 15500.
Old 4 February 2022, 03:08 AM   #51
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The 15500 came out in March 2019, so it's a 3 year run (not 2) that comes to an end this April '22 Vince.
Old 4 February 2022, 07:26 AM   #52
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 15500 came out in March 2019, so it's a 3 year run (not 2) that comes to an end this April '22 Vince.
Ah, right. I’m curious, if a replacement is introduced this year, will the AP monogram be removed. The dial looks empty as-is in the smaller 1550. Also, another point to continue to play DA - the ref numbering system has historically had the 37mm higher than the 41mm (e.g., 15450 vs. 15500). Who knows if that’ll carry. I’m just trying to rationalize a holding of the status quo on the 15500.
Old 4 February 2022, 09:43 AM   #53
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Thank you. I respect your judgment here….I think the point here that is bugging me is that in absence of knowing what the “new” 15500 will comprise of it’s an uniformed decision process.

I feel the new releases last week were on the money so fully expect any replacement 15500 to be a bit special. Plus if the reference has only lasted the 3 years it says to me that AP feel they could/will have done better.

Don’t get me wrong, the 15500 is a beautiful piece but as AP fans it’s about navigating the right path for our collection/expenditure.
I personally would buy it. if it's something you already wanted. It also depends on what kind of relationship you have with AP. Pretty sure a big time client who passes on a watch but has a substantial buying history will be offered other stuff vs a new or non-VIP client who doesn't buy a "hot" watch, I can see them not offering them anything again anytime soon.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 09:56 AM   #54
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
I personally would buy it. if it's something you already wanted. It also depends on what kind of relationship you have with AP. Pretty sure a big time client who passes on a watch but has a substantial buying history will be offered other stuff vs a new or non-VIP client who doesn't buy a "hot" watch, I can see them not offering them anything again anytime soon.

You make some valid points here.

I’m going to see my contact at AP House week after to next for a proper face to face chat about this year/allocations. I feel I have a very healthy relationship with AP but just lousy timing with availability and the huge spike in demands for the brand in the last year.

I’d be happy with one new AP purchase this year (Royal Oak) and I think that’s about the best I could hope for as the brand landscape changes significantly this year for allocations.
Old 5 February 2022, 08:48 AM   #55
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m 100% in the same boat - on the list for a 15500. My only worry with the replacement is that, should it follow the design language of the other ROs (in particular the 15550), then we’ll see the removal of the AP monogram. This is an unfortunate change, IMO. I’m also neither a fan of the 50th rotor, nor the way the bracelet aggressively tapers on the 15550 (compared to the 1540). That’s why I’d love more info on the 15500’s future and replacement.

With that being said - does anyone know if the 15500s produced this year have the 50th rotor?
Old 5 February 2022, 09:46 AM   #56
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With that being said - does anyone know if the 15500s produced this year have the 50th rotor?
Supposedly it's anniversary rotors for all of this year's RO production (with a sapphire casebook, one assumes).
Old 5 February 2022, 02:38 PM   #57
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
Jcstfue
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 03:04 PM   #58
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think the new color will be olive green which would make sense since the ROC is white/black/blue/green.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2022, 07:15 AM   #59
DanMiles
"TRF" Member

I've been told that the new reference is coming mid-2022 and will include a tapered bracelet, small changes to the lugs, and an applied logo instead of printed. Basically the 15550 treatment. No mention of the AP logo, although I didn't ask about it specifically. Waiting for a silver dial, I'm hoping the new reference dial isn't too sparse.
DanMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2022, 11:14 PM   #60
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I think the new color will be olive green which would make sense since the ROC is white/black/blue/green.
Yes, I think that’s highly likely here Don.