The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 December 2021, 10:32 PM   #31
RoloRonnie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
I know others here have mentioned that the WG model is trading for more than retail, and that you should have bought and flipped it. Definitely an opportunity to make a few $$$. However, the AD would surely find out! Do you think that they would have banned you, and your chances of getting a call for a SS version would now be zero? I suspect that would be the case.

My question would be: Since you have now turned down 2 watches from this AD that can resell for over MSRP....Does this prove to them that you are not a flipper? Will this help the cause, since it shows that you are sincerely looking for a particular model to keep and enjoy for yourself?
How would the AD find out if he sold?
RoloRonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:58 PM   #32
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
And that's fine if the pleasure you get from buying watches is limited to rubbing your hands at price increases. Personally speaking, the financial value of a watch means absolutely nothing to me once I've bought it; it's a sunk cost as far as I'm concerned. My pleasure comes from owning something that I genuinely love and enjoy wearing, and its value to me is not financial in nature.

I've been into watches for a long time and this current preoccupation with future value just wasn't a thing when I came to the hobby, so I guess I struggle to comprehend it. Horses for courses I guess.
+ 1

I nearly wet my jeans last week when I tried on the full Canopus Gold Speedmaster. Its a beauty. I would lose £10k on the value when I walk out the shop but if that's my priority, its no longer a hobby. I make money on other things that are not my hobby.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:07 AM   #33
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't want it, you don't want it. It's always best to plan according to what you know, not what you hope.

If my AD rang me and offered I would grab it with both hands and sell a couple of pumped SS models to compensate somewhat. But that won't happen.

Sounds like you did the sensible thing. At that price level, sensible is essential.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:43 AM   #34
Nutbeem
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, Hulk, GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
Folks seem to be getting greedy with only buying the best flipper watches - OP41, JM, Meteorite, as if theyll be able to get those offered by AD.

Granted this isnt the best flipper watch RIGHT NOW but flippers typically buy PM sports to hold much of its value and build spend history. You primarily buy this watch if you like it and believe in longer term appreciation of it. Even flipping I dont see how you could lose.

A lot of Pepsi lovers cant seem to see the value in this piece right now. You have a SS Oyster version going for $25k USD where as you can buy a superior and more rare version for only $13k more? Sounds like an easy call to me.

Same concept with the Daytona, the SS version was too tough to get but then WG version started catching on because well a PM version thats similar in value to an SS is a great buy at MSRP. The big difference here is 1) the WG blue pepsi is actually on a PM bracelet unlike the rubber and 2) has a blue dial which obviously makes it stand out some from all the black dials.

This.

If all you can afford is the SS version at retail, then godspeed and make the hunt your mission. It’s an awesome watch.

But if you want the BLRO concept at its highest level, with a different wearing experience and a sense of value and quality, PM BLRO is the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nutbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:16 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
29K extra for a blue dial and a gold bracelet that looks like SS is a lot of money. Good call, hold out for the SS version
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 05:36 AM   #36
1665fan
"TRF" Member

My ad called with the same model available…..I’m on the fence and really don’t want to miss the opportunity…..bitting my nails at the moment
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 06:18 AM   #37
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Yes its seems to pop up easier than others. I still would like to own it but wondering if I prefer the 126619LB at about the same price.

QUOTE=1665fan;11879835]My ad called with the same model available…..I’m on the fence and really don’t want to miss the opportunity…..bitting my nails at the moment[/QUOTE]
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 07:09 AM   #38
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
After 2 years with no calls my AD reached out to me that they had a new 18K WG GMT blue BLRO. They literally wanted me to make the decision that day as they had other clients wanting it. I love the watch and could pull off the 38k plus tax price but it would take a huge chunk out of my savings and I've already purchased too many watches recently. I do love the watch but would prefer it in SS for 9k. I hope I made the right decision.

The last time they called me was for the previous version of this watch which I also turned down. They kinda hinted to me they are trying but I keep turning them down. I hope they don't give up on me as id really prefer a SS Sub/GMT.
Let me understand this. After two years of no contact, the AD calls and offers a 18K WT Gold Blue BLRO. They needed your answer that day because they had other clients who wanted it. Wow! You must be a VIP, since they are thinking about you before they call the people who want the watch. Very good information for those asking how they get a call. It's got something to do with a known client and a long term relationship.
Old 22 December 2021, 08:17 AM   #39
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Had you requested this model or did it become available out of the blue? If you hadn't requested, don't think it would be an issue.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:16 AM   #40
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'd rather get the SS Pepsi too and save myself 30k in the process. Good call, IMHO.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:43 AM   #41
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz2270 View Post
At that price point it better be the watch you really want, otherwise walk without thinking twice. If other clients want it, great, the AD can move on to them and make the sale.

Just reaffirm with the AD what you are interested in (a SS Sub/GMT). If your dealer "gives up" on you because you turned down a $38K PM version of a watch, I'd find another AD.

Now, if you are asking to be called for specific watches and THEN turning them down, that's another story.

Best of luck acquiring a SS GMT, it is a beautiful watch!
I totally agree with this. The AD should certainly understand your decision on this watch. Let them know what you really want and see if they come through. Good luck.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:51 AM   #42
Cerachrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller Blue
I’ve been on the list at 2 ADs for this watch for 12+ plus month. I’m only interested in the blue dial . If anyone who’s taking a pass would be willing to refer me I’m ready to go on it.

Cerachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:55 PM   #43
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I was offered the same watch in August of 2020, unsolicited, along with an SD43 and a two tone white dial Daytona. I chose the SD43 but loved that WG GMT, just didn’t want to spare the funds for it.

Since then I’ve been offered a Yacht-Master 42 WG twice, unsolicited. Politely turned it down each time. But I was able to pick up a yellow gold Daytona in the interim. Last visit to the AD the SA I usually work with made it point tell the new manager that the Explorer I had on was the first watch I purchased from him. I thought that was cool that he did that. Maybe it means they won’t lump me in with the flippers? Who knows.

In this market I understand that it does make one second guess themselves when declining a watch. However and the end of the day it’s your money. If you don’t want that watch don’t buy it. Maybe pay them a visit and reacquaint them with what you are looking for.

jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:58 PM   #44
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Although not condoned on this forum, I would have bought the watch, sold it for 55k and used the 17k upside + change to get the SS from a grey.
Its called ,"beating inflation" .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:33 PM   #45
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoloRonnie View Post
How would the AD find out if he sold?
An AD can find out in so many ways….serial appearing online, a new owner taking it for sizing or warranty repair, loads of ways
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:37 PM   #46
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
An AD can find out in so many ways….serial appearing online, a new owner taking it for sizing or warranty repair, loads of ways

Not to mention many, if not most, are in whatsapp groups and frequently communicate. Other dealers will rat you out in a heartbeat

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote