The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2021, 06:21 AM   #31
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
They’re all in the back.
Half of them are in the back...the other half are in Orlando.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:50 AM   #32
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
As I’ve said, Rolex are now a preferred client brand (unless you want a run if the mill TT DJ)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 07:21 AM   #33
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I was at my AD last week and each front window into the mall had one gold women’s watch in it. Inside there were probably a half dozen others scattered around. Walked by today and the front windows were empty. I know my AD (a Rolex only Boutique) sells lots of watches but 90% of them nowadays are presold.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 07:36 AM   #34
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
a friend of mine was flying out of Frankfurt Airport and decided to stop by the Rolex store. There was a 41 Sub on display. He asked if he could buy it and the sales rep said it wasn't for sale.

I really do not understand Rolex's business model. They all say there's nothing in stock. But clearly there was one on display. These are not dummy watches like the dummy iphones from your local cellphone store. Why are they not selling it?

I'd understand if this store was in some major city and it was reserved for their top customers... But the watch was IN an AIRPORT! You won't get regulars flying in/out on the daily that the AD is trying to save the watch for...
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 08:03 AM   #35
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
a friend of mine was flying out of Frankfurt Airport and decided to stop by the Rolex store. There was a 41 Sub on display. He asked if he could buy it and the sales rep said it wasn't for sale.

I really do not understand Rolex's business model. They all say there's nothing in stock. But clearly there was one on display. These are not dummy watches like the dummy iphones from your local cellphone store. Why are they not selling it?

I'd understand if this store was in some major city and it was reserved for their top customers... But the watch was IN an AIRPORT! You won't get regulars flying in/out on the daily that the AD is trying to save the watch for...
Have they got exhibition models in airports?!?! If so, that is really stupid of the store.... or you may be right about holding the watches only for their favourite frequent buyer flyers.....
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 08:49 AM   #36
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The new sales model is sell to repeat customers. The watches stay out of the case which is good for security, and maintains the air of exclusivity. No Ad's are giving up there Rolex Authorized Dealer agreements due to lack of inventory.
Old 22 December 2021, 09:02 AM   #37
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I don’t know if it’s either. Each time I’ve stopped by my local AD, someone is sitting at the Rolex desk getting a new watch sized. Feels like they are selling quite a bit.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:03 AM   #38
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

They don't have or aren't really able to keep anything in stock as they pretty much sell whatever they receive within minutes...things are just that crazy!

For example, this week I received calls from two different AD's offering me 1) a DJ36 white dial two tone smooth bezel, and the other 2) DJ36 Black dial fluted bezel. In both cases I asked them if I had any time to think on it, and in both cases the SA's told me "NO, they'd have it sold within the hour or even half hour". I bought neither of them and I'm betting they were indeed sold within the hour.

I told both of them flat out I know it's the opposite of what most folks are doing right now (buying anything with a Crown on it then flip in hopes of creating some sort of spend history relationship thing) - both SA's laughed because they knew EXACTLY what I was talking about!

Most every AD and their SA's have people they know will buy repeatedly, and some who obviously will buy anything at anytime without a second thought so no need to put it in a case for display.
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:07 AM   #39
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku View Post
As the title suggests I’ve noticed pretty much across the board on the forum members reporting that their ADs have essentially nothing in stock at the moment. I’ve personally visited a few ADs recently and can confirm the same.

I find it hard to believe that Rolex isn’t sending any stock at all to any AD so are ADs more than ever just keeping watches in the safe?
There is a huge difference between the AD not selling any stock and shelves showing unsold stock.

This reality requires a dose of logic to unravel.

- yes the AD is selling the same volume of Rolex as before, but they’re taken from safe to wrist of prearranged buyer in one action.(demand outstripping supply)

- no the AD doesn’t have a surplus of product allowing them to display unsold watches, primarily because every watch is presold the moment it is delivered. (Oversupply)

The phenomenon is easily confused, especially if you’re from an era in which one entered the AD and abundant unsold pieces were available (around 2017 or before)
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:34 AM   #40
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
They are sending stock but it ends up at all the grays with some sold to some of our members lol
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:39 AM   #41
Schmed
"TRF" Member

I stopped in a Rolex boutique yesterday and was met by a stern lady with a thick Russian accent. She almost guarded the store and kept me from going in. She warned "everything I have is DISPLAY ONLY. I HAVE NO ROLEX WATCHES TO SELL."

Not too inviting. I walked in and she backed off, but only slightly. I tried to chat her up..... "oh - a SkyDweller.... a DSSD...." she barked out the depth rating of the DSSD and that was about it.

It was a bit lonely looking with all the empty display cases. I wonder if it'll tarnish Rolex's reputation in the long run.

Bought a Seamaster at the Omega boutique next door. And that was a fun transaction with lots of watches on display....
Schmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:50 AM   #42
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
I stopped in a Rolex boutique yesterday and was met by a stern lady with a thick Russian accent. She almost guarded the store and kept me from going in. She warned "everything I have is DISPLAY ONLY. I HAVE NO ROLEX WATCHES TO SELL."

So what's the point of having watches on display that they can't sell? Same as my point above. Those "display" watches at Frankfurt Airport are not dummy watches like the bogus iphones at your cellphone store. These are legit functional watches at an AD store. Which are meant to be sold

Why don't the AD sell the display models and make your commission off of the sale? Sitting on display while collecting dust isn't netting you any profit.

It'll be a completely different story if these "stores" are not stores. But rather just a showroom where inventory is display only.
Old 22 December 2021, 09:55 AM   #43
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
- no the AD doesn’t have a surplus of product allowing them to display unsold watches, primarily because every watch is presold the moment it is delivered. (Oversupply)

With that said, if the AD does not have surplus of a specific model for display, because all watches are sold before it even hits the shelves... Then why are there watches on display that AD won't sell to perspective buyers? If there's watches on display, it sure means that they have inventory of that specific model. Even if that is the ONLY one.
Old 22 December 2021, 10:12 AM   #44
dsquared24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post

Not too inviting. I walked in and she backed off, but only slightly. I tried to chat her up..... "oh - a SkyDweller.... a DSSD...." she barked out the depth rating of the DSSD and that was about it.

It was a bit lonely looking with all the empty display cases. I wonder if it'll tarnish Rolex's reputation in the long run.

Bought a Seamaster at the Omega boutique next door. And that was a fun transaction with lots of watches on display....
Sounds like South Coast Plaza.
dsquared24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:29 AM   #45
mpatel1080
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With that said, if the AD does not have surplus of a specific model for display, because all watches are sold before it even hits the shelves... Then why are there watches on display that AD won't sell to perspective buyers? If there's watches on display, it sure means that they have inventory of that specific model. Even if that is the ONLY one.
Went to an AD today (Rolex Boutique) they had 10-20 watches in there all "exhibition only" - there was a Sub, Pepsi, Batman, TT Daytona and a bunch of Datejusts. The salesman I spoke to said deliveries have improved a lot over the last few weeks and there were 3 people in there picking up watches when I was there. I inquired about a SS Pepsi and was told it would be a couple months...let's see what happens.
I would assume these free standing boutiques will be getting more stock moving forward, Rolex has to prioritize them looking at the large investments they are making in free standing facilities vs the AD who is selling other goods. I would think this will be a positive for customers (and Rolex) as the branded boutique won't try to get customers to buy unrelated goods to buy a Rolex.
mpatel1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:33 AM   #46
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what's the point of having watches on display that they can't sell? Same as my point above. Those "display" watches at Frankfurt Airport are not dummy watches like the bogus iphones at your cellphone store. These are legit functional watches at an AD store. Which are meant to be sold

Why don't the AD sell the display models and make your commission off of the sale? Sitting on display while collecting dust isn't netting you any profit.

It'll be a completely different story if these "stores" are not stores. But rather just a showroom where inventory is display only.
I do think there is value to having watches for display purposes. I've seen a few models in person already that immediately turned me off as compared to their online photos.

The two ADs closest to me are both adamant about Rolex requiring them to maintain a certain level of inventory now. The one says 17, the other says 20. They say Rolex knows when they sell watches and they aren't allowed to do so until those minimums are met. At that point it's one in, one out. The "gray" area, however, is where this inventory is stored. The one AD started out having them in the case with the little "exhibition only" sign. Then on the next visit all had been relocated to the safe. The other AD has theirs out, also with the sign. It's a mess. There is no consistent experience store to store.

At least around here the ADs are still friendly and actually enjoyable to chat with. I always read these reports of ADs in big cities practically yelling at shoppers as they approach the door. I would EXPLODE if a business got aggressive towards me for showing interest in their product.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:40 AM   #47
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I would EXPLODE if a business got aggressive towards me for showing interest in their product.
I would walk out and never enter that store again. It would leave me disenchanted with the brand, and if said brand is one I was merely pursuing, the lasting effect would be permanent loss of my patronage.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:59 AM   #48
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post

At least around here the ADs are still friendly and actually enjoyable to chat with. I always read these reports of ADs in big cities practically yelling at shoppers as they approach the door. I would EXPLODE if a business got aggressive towards me for showing interest in their product.

I agree, if a SA screams at me for simply trying to buy a watch, I would simply turn around and walk out.

Luckily for me I haven't had that issue. My friend and I went to the new Rolex/Tudor flagship in meatpacking in NYC over the summer (we were window shopping while waiting for our dinner reservations). I had an OK experience. The security guard let us in without much hassle. But inventory wise on display, it was mostly DJ and diamond pieces, which no one really wanted. As for customer service, no one gave us any attention. Which wasn't a big deal since we were just window shopping...

Meanwhile earlier in the year, I had the itch to purchase something new. Knowing purchasing anything at the Rolex AD would be a waste of time, I went to the Omega boutique store at WTC. I called ahead asked if they had the AT silver face in stock, they said yes. I told them that I would stop by on my lunch break . The rep said OK. Asked for my name and estimated time that I would stop by.

I went, asked for the rep. He came out. Gave me complimentary water. Pulled out the watch that I called ahead for... He tried to kiss my ass a little, I told him it's unnecessary. I'm not that type of customer. I know what I want and I do not want to waste anyone's time. Seamless transaction. No time wasted. Literally in/out in less than 30 min.

The sales guy noticed my sub that I had on. He asked why I chose to purchase an Omega instead. I said... I'm tired of Rolex's bullshit politics. I'm here to spend money. Not here to jump through hoops and hurdles and to get on my knees.

He laughed and said... Well, I'm glad you chose to shop at Omega and would love to see you as a repeat customer in the future. I replied, totally! Even if you decide to go elsewhere, let me know. I'll gladly shop with you and go where ever you venture off to.

That's what I call service. Not the BS that Rolex AD serves up.
Old 22 December 2021, 01:11 PM   #49
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Plenty of supply just even more demand. Thousands of Daytonas and GMTs and Subs sent to ADs every month. Only rare Rolex are the high end factory gemset stuff like Rainbow Daytonas
Old 24 December 2021, 03:32 PM   #50
Strat25
"TRF" Member

I was down in SoCal this last weekend. I walked into a Rolex AD, in fact they had a big Rolex marque up, which they didn't have the last time I was there about 3-4mo ago. Anyways, they had a new Rolex section set up and everything...and of course no watches. BUT, I will say the SA was a very cordial woman. I made a comment about no watches, and she said, "we're getting them in, you'd be surprised. What are you looking for?" I let her know I was looking for the Sub LV. "Ah the green bezel." I told her "yes." I don't have any previous history buying there, although I always stop in when I visit my parents. She gave me her card and just told me to check in now and then. I told her I live out of state but my dad is right up the street. I can have him stop in here and there. Although she admitted she hadn't seen that watch come through in at least 9-10 months I sent her an email and my phone number...juuuust in case. LOL I'm not expecting anything, or an Xmas miracle. She didn't respond to my email either...but oh well. I guess my point is, after reading so many bad experiences with AD's, especially for no purchase history...snotty reps, lists, etc...it was nice to just have a good experience. To be honest I was almost afraid to even say what I was looking for. Figured I'd just get laughed at, but she basically just said, and I'm paraphrasing, but "ya we don't have that watch, and I haven't seen it in about a year, but you never know. Keep checking back."
Strat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 03:53 PM   #51
MP777
"TRF" Member

One of the AD in my area puts everything in the back and reserve them for people who tip *well* (they prefer Apple Pay and anything less than $200 won’t cut it), or if you’re a first time customer and they want a good online review from you. I would go as far to say most of the watches being flipped in my area came from their store as they have no problem selling the same watch to the same person multiple times in a row, even if they know you already bought it from another AD, as long as you tip well or bring gifts.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 04:00 PM   #52
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP777 View Post
One of the AD in my area puts everything in the back and reserve them for people who tip *well* (they prefer Apple Pay and anything less than $200 won’t cut it), or if you’re a first time customer and they want a good online review from you. I would go as far to say most of the watches being flipped in my area came from their store as they have no problem selling the same watch to the same person multiple times in a row, even if they know you already bought it from another AD, as long as you tip well or bring gifts.
Really??

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 04:11 PM   #53
MP777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Really??
Unfortunately yes, and they’re quite savvy at it too. They will sell BLNR and Green Subs to first time customers to get those “wow factor” online reviews, which helps with their Rolex allocation by showing that they have a 5 star rating (and the Rolex rep is led to believe they’re a saint). Then at the same time, watches are being sold to known flippers, many who post on this forum. I think the new store manager there is a good guy but there are some shady stuff going on with 2 of his salespeople that he probably doesn’t know about yet. Will refrain from naming the store for now.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 05:16 PM   #54
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
they still get watches from rolex every few weeks to sell to selected customers by appointment, they just don't do business with walk in customers anymore.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 06:24 PM   #55
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
they still get watches from rolex every few weeks to sell to selected customers by appointment, they just don't do business with walk in customers anymore.

Pretty much this
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 11:42 PM   #56
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku View Post

I find it hard to believe that Rolex isn’t sending any stock at all to any AD so are ADs more than ever just keeping watches in the safe?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 12:43 AM   #57
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Do ADs currently actually have nothing or is there a new policy from Rolex?

Ad’s have plenty of stock, just not in the display cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote