The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 December 2021, 01:25 AM   #31
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppi View Post
Final question for you. Do you think replica Rolex could perform inside COSC specifications? Or they will always underperform
I'm reading between the lines here, but it seems like you are not really asking about timekeeping accuracy in this thread, but about the authenticity of your watch and its movement. I'm not sure where you purchased the watch, but I strongly urge you to have it inspected and authenticated by a Rolex Service Center. Otherwise, I don't think you are ever going to be happy with your watch.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 05:16 AM   #32
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Wear the watch for a week or two. Then determine if it is outside specs.

Watches do vary their regulation depending or use, state of wind, position. If it bothers you and is outside of spec in daily use you can get it regulated tighter. But i prefer fast than slow (easier to hack and resync to real time)

After a while, I suspect you’ll lose interest. Enjoy the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wore it for 2 days now and yes is 1.5 sec fast so is basically perfect.

I wonder how Rolex calculates his "accuracy". If it is through constant movement or in still position.

Basically I'm trying to break down the -2 +2 specs... if they really mean it always or is just worn
Eppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 05:18 AM   #33
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nashville View Post
I'm reading between the lines here, but it seems like you are not really asking about timekeeping accuracy in this thread, but about the authenticity of your watch and its movement. I'm not sure where you purchased the watch, but I strongly urge you to have it inspected and authenticated by a Rolex Service Center. Otherwise, I don't think you are ever going to be happy with your watch.
So far I have asked 3 questions on this forum. Since I am new I have a lot of questions and yes since there are a lot of fake rolexes out there I also ask that one.

Comments who deviates from a real answer I dont even read it, I skip over them like butter. Don't care about opinions and feelings I care about technicalities and real answers
Old 24 December 2021, 05:19 AM   #34
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:

I wonder how Rolex calculates his "accuracy". If it is through constant movement or in still position.

Basically I'm trying to break down the -2 +2 specs... if they really mean it always or is just worn
It's an average, over time in different positions.

It also means little.

COSC mechanisms can go out of COSC and non COSC mechanisms can be incredibly accurate.
Old 24 December 2021, 05:33 AM   #35
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon101 View Post
I find it does work even with a newer movement.
I absolutely use this. My '77 1603 can vary a little bit more off the wrist, but otherwise stays within the +2/-2 depending on the temperature I find.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 06:04 AM   #36
Elbravo
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing all of your experience !!!
Elbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 06:05 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nashville View Post
I think that’s a yes
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 06:27 AM   #38
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbravo View Post
Thank you for sharing all of your experience !!!
As you can see I'm not the only one.
Experienced people often don't realise that newbies need a little "work" to get up to speed.
Old 24 December 2021, 06:30 AM   #39
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As you can see I'm not the only one.
Experienced people often don't realise that newbies need a little "work" to get up to speed.
Did you ever get your watch authenticated?

You first thread here expressed concern about your watch being authentic.
Old 24 December 2021, 06:34 AM   #40
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28mm View Post
Did you ever get your watch authenticated?

You first thread here expressed concern about your watch being authentic.
Where I lived noone wanted to take care of that.
Only thing they wanted to do was service it but I ain't spending my guarantee for a newbie anxiety problem
Old 24 December 2021, 07:01 AM   #41
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Has someone ever tried to see how his Rolex would perform in a still position?
Prefer in a moving position
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 07:32 AM   #42
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where I lived noone wanted to take care of that.
Only thing they wanted to do was service it but I ain't spending my guarantee for a newbie anxiety problem

Old 24 December 2021, 08:42 AM   #43
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in the real world most movements today could match the Swiss COSC test of AVERAGE -4+6 seconds a day.
Question:
Does anyone know [padi56?] how and why the COSC specs were chosen to have a range of -4 to +6?

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 07:06 PM   #44
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Question:
Does anyone know [padi56?] how and why the COSC specs were chosen to have a range of -4 to +6?
Now before the Swiss COSC was started they used to have Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard than todays Swiss COSC. And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 94% pass the COSC test first time. Just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The others were Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry. Now in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition.And it was ended by the Swiss in the early 1970s after two straight wins by the Japanese straight off the production line Seiko Grand watches.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.For a much higher standard than the COSC, the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days, Seiko and Giraud Peregaux. As the Japanese had dominated these tests in the late 1960s and the two preceding events. In 1972 some Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,and thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only.

The Swiss COSC only tests movements at their barest functional level and are still tested to the AVERAGE -4+6 to bare the word chronometer on the dial.Now all movements are machine wound hundreds at a time by the winding stem.All automatic watches have there winding rotors removed, because the machine that winds them that fast it would damage the highly geared automatic winding mechanism. Even dial and hands are removed special ones are fitted at COSC test centre, movements are checked every 24 hours by electronic camera linked to central computer.Rolex has there own special machine to test its vast quantities of movements they test. These are loaded into magazines like bullets, the machine extracts the movement, reads it, winds it and returns it to the magazine.And some of you guys worry about winding your watch manually, the maximum daily rate during the first 10 days of testing is for a most movements - 4 +6 secs over 24 hours. Now this COSC test now is quite antiquated and now around 95% of movements tested pass the test.

Why the COSC specs were chosen to have a range of -4 to +6.

Simply this it was far easier to achieve than the old Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard, and even the Japanese or European DIN chronometer standard.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 10:28 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

Just wear and enjoy wearing your watch its fine.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 December 2021, 12:08 AM   #46
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

Don’t you have anything better to do? Read a book. Take the dog for a walk. Do something.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 01:44 AM   #47
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
Don’t you have anything better to do? Read a book. Take the dog for a walk. Do something.
To whom is above comments directed too.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 December 2021, 02:03 AM   #48
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Now before the Swiss COSC was started they used to have Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard than todays Swiss COSC. And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 94% pass the COSC test first time. Just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The others were Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry. Now in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition.And it was ended by the Swiss in the early 1970s after two straight wins by the Japanese straight off the production line Seiko Grand watches.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.For a much higher standard than the COSC, the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days, Seiko and Giraud Peregaux. As the Japanese had dominated these tests in the late 1960s and the two preceding events. In 1972 some Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,and thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only.

The Swiss COSC only tests movements at their barest functional level and are still tested to the AVERAGE -4+6 to bare the word chronometer on the dial.Now all movements are machine wound hundreds at a time by the winding stem.All automatic watches have there winding rotors removed, because the machine that winds them that fast it would damage the highly geared automatic winding mechanism. Even dial and hands are removed special ones are fitted at COSC test centre, movements are checked every 24 hours by electronic camera linked to central computer.Rolex has there own special machine to test its vast quantities of movements they test. These are loaded into magazines like bullets, the machine extracts the movement, reads it, winds it and returns it to the magazine.And some of you guys worry about winding your watch manually, the maximum daily rate during the first 10 days of testing is for a most movements - 4 +6 secs over 24 hours. Now this COSC test now is quite antiquated and now around 95% of movements tested pass the test.

Simply this it was far easier to achieve than the old Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard, and even the Japanese or European DIN chronometer standard.
Thank you for taking the time to write all that information down for people who were not aware. There is a lot of members that would like to know but were afraid to post a question for fear of ridicule. Maybe your post will enlighten some new members of what to "really" expect accuracy wise from there newly acquired watch. I am sure many will appreciate your post.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 02:13 AM   #49
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

i do have a 2018 rolex submariner 114060

from 2018 till now, i wore my watch every day.And i do never ever adjust my watch.

Today its +-0 to Atomic Clock.

From the day of purchase i started experimenting on my watches accuracy and resting positions at night.

for me 4 days crown up and 3 days dial down will give me perfect accuracy.

Also walking effecting its accuracy greatly.

If i walk 10km or more a day watch tends go faster 2+ or 3 seconds.

If i am much more relaxed and just walked 3km a day its within the specs of rolex.

well i am a obsessive person as you can see :)
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 03:06 AM   #50
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-istanbul View Post
i do have a 2018 rolex submariner 114060

from 2018 till now, i wore my watch every day.And i do never ever adjust my watch.

Today its +-0 to Atomic Clock.

From the day of purchase i started experimenting on my watches accuracy and resting positions at night.

for me 4 days crown up and 3 days dial down will give me perfect accuracy.

Also walking effecting its accuracy greatly.

If i walk 10km or more a day watch tends go faster 2+ or 3 seconds.

If i am much more relaxed and just walked 3km a day its within the specs of rolex.

well i am a obsessive person as you can see :)
You have just explained how I am aswell.

Testing testing testing at the beginning then experience it.

I will buy a second rolex this year most likely the explorer 1 or 2.

I like then a lot but want to know more or to know what's about them... the "why rolex"
Old 25 December 2021, 03:07 AM   #51
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your help
As you can see many people are afraid of asking but I'm not that person :)
Old 25 December 2021, 05:42 AM   #52
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your help
As you can see many people are afraid of asking but I'm not that person :)
Only glad to help and pass hopefully a bit of knowledge on how a mechanical movement works.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club