The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2023, 02:08 AM   #31
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblock406 View Post
At least you might get a real answer instead of being strung along indefinitely.
That is a good point. Add some additional context, I have worked with my primary AD in 2019 to get my Wife a fairly pricey engagement ring. I've also mentioned she is interested in a updated wedding band in 2024 for our five year anniversary.

I think he understands that I'm going to be a customer for life. I just don't see myself spending thousands of dollars in jewelry every year. My finances just don't sustain that spend.

He'll see me every five years for a milestone purchase - steady and predictable.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:08 AM   #32
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
This is awesome news. I'm hoping by June I'm wearing this badboy. Does anyone know which Sub dealers get more of - date or no date?

5 dates for every 1 non date as per the owner of an AD I spoke with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:10 AM   #33
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Working with them? An interesting perspective. Hope it pans out for you soon.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:11 AM   #34
opfanboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I'll translate:

"We've sold all our stock to Grey dealers and the rest to VVIP Flippers"
This is true. Watchfinder did an interview recently where the guy practically disclosed how it all works. Essentially Rolex sell their watches in bulk to the AD and the ADs sell to "jewellery stores" and such for over RRP, who sell on grey for $$$ So when you visit an AD and they say there's a waitlist - yeah....the waitlist will be forever if this carries on!
opfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:12 AM   #35
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Haven't read the whole thread but they're lying. My local ADs get shipments every Friday.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:12 AM   #36
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
5 dates for every 1 non date as per the owner of an AD I spoke with.

That's excellent - I have a strong preference for the date.
Old 13 April 2023, 02:33 AM   #37
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
They both lied to you. time to spend money elsewhere
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:45 AM   #38
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Such a loaded question.

What is your level of customer?

Customers usually get the run-around answers until customer has purchased a certain dollar amount over a course of a number of years with certain product types dealer consider to be good "variety" or "collection."

Unfortunately, if you're just looking for a sub date, it's likely you're a low tier of customer.

Also they could be telling their own truth in a diff way.

"Sorry, we haven't gotten any shipments subs in the last 6 wks" can translate to:

1. Between the shipments from the last 6 wks, I haven't gotten allocated any sub dates in the last 6 wks to sell at all.

2. Between the shipments from the last 6 wks, I haven't gotten allocated any sub dates in the last 6 wks to sell to you.

3. Between the shipments from the last 6 wks, I haven't gotten allocated any sub dates in the last 6 wks to sell to a customer like you.

4. I haven't gotten any shipments in the last 6 wks, that I know about.

5. I haven't gotten any sub dates in the last 6 wks, that I know about.

But there's no way in hell they going 6 wks in between delivering watches to customers. That's more than a full month gap of sales.

Quote:
I reached out to my two good ADs I’m working with for a Sub date and they both said they haven’t gotten any shipments in the last six weeks.

Does anyone know how frequently watches are sent to ADs?
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:20 AM   #39
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I know people believe Rolex ADs make bank but many are in very very expensive locations with expensive rent and overhead. They need the product as much as people want it.

If they were not receiving any shipments for weeks and weeks at a time, it could definitely impact their business.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:46 AM   #40
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I know people believe Rolex ADs make bank but many are in very very expensive locations with expensive rent and overhead. They need the product as much as people want it.

If they were not receiving any shipments for weeks and weeks at a time, it could definitely impact their business.

My AD spent $500k redoing the store to Rolex’s standards. Wasn’t cheap. They also require an extensive advertising budget that isn’t cheap as well.

They get weekly shipments and don’t know what’s incoming. They can request stuff but it’s never certain it’s coming.

Now with that being said the current demand for Rolex has all but eliminated floating inventory for the AD so they make 30-35% on a watch for holding it for a few days time. Rolex has lowered the AD profit margin which used to be 40%. Not bad. Also the halo effect for Rolex also sells a lot of other stuff at the same time.

Old 13 April 2023, 03:46 AM   #41
Nads786
"TRF" Member

So here is the exact statement my AD made. I started my dialogue March 8th.

Old 13 April 2023, 05:35 AM   #42
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So here is the exact statement my AD made. I started my dialogue March 8th.

Pro tip here my friend.

Instead of sending texts you should stop in the store. Buy something (doesn’t have to be crazy expensive). Graduation presents, anniversary, birthdays, Christmas what have you. Frequent small purchases. All from the same SA. Sounds corny I know but guess what. It works. Become a regular customer.

Old 13 April 2023, 06:05 AM   #43
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I don't get a sub by late Summer, I'll probably start sourcing grey dealers. I really want the AD experience since this is my real luxury watch and since it's for my 40th I would like remember the acquisition of the sub.

Hold out for it as long as you can. Treat yourself to the full experience. Having a package arrive in the mail AND spending more for it will not give you the bday memories you’re looking for.

My first was a Sub Date, I was celebrating living through a terrible car accident. I have also now purchased a couple online but that time at the AD will ALWAYS stand out. I got a BB58 for an anniversary gift, and bought a Planet Ocean at an OB and these have all been memorable, so much more than my online purchases…

Hold on to the hope!!!

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:28 AM   #44
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pro tip here my friend.

Instead of sending texts you should stop in the store. Buy something (doesn’t have to be crazy expensive). Graduation presents, anniversary, birthdays, Christmas what have you. Frequent small purchases. All from the same SA. Sounds corny I know but guess what. It works. Become a regular customer.

Good advice. I guess my engagement ring was almost 5 years ago now.
Old 13 April 2023, 07:35 AM   #45
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

How did they do it when Hulks and Batmans were collecting dust in the display cases? And they had Subs available at 10% off?

They just found that there were people willing to pay 3x msrp so they started selling out the back door to grey dealers and off loading their undesirable models with the hot pieces.

And if the AD is a jeweler- they found out how to move those highly profitable diamonds…with a purchase of 100k worth of diamonds you may get a White Daytona in 3 months

I’m pretty sure they do okay. My Sales person has a white Daytona, Sub, and a Blue Skydweller

Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:40 AM   #46
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
How did they do it when Hulks and Batmans were collecting dust in the display cases? And they had Subs available at 10% off?

They just found that there were people willing to pay 3x msrp so they started selling out the back door to grey dealers and off loading their undesirable models with the hot pieces.

And if the AD is a jeweler- they found out how to move those highly profitable diamonds…with a purchase of 100k worth of diamonds you may get a White Daytona in 3 months

I’m pretty sure they do okay. My Sales person has a white Daytona, Sub, and a Blue Skydweller

My guess is they still had good profit margins. I am not saying Rolex ADs are broke, fair from it. Just simply saying not having products for weeks and weeks could hurt business. I think ADs always sold out the back door to the secondary market. Slow month, offload some models at a discount to the secondary market. Profit margin still there just less.

I have seen people who think every Rolex SA is a multi-millionaire and that is so not true.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:53 AM   #47
Dufresne
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t be posting screenshots from your SA. If I were Jimmy and found out, I wouldn’t like it. Anyway, hope you get your Sub soon!

Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:08 AM   #48
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufresne View Post
I wouldn’t be posting screenshots from your SA. If I were Jimmy and found out, I wouldn’t like it. Anyway, hope you get your Sub soon!

i mean they're likely lying to him anyway so who cares? hard to believe no subs came in for 6 weeks. he probably just can't say "none came in for you"

Quote:
That is a good point. Add some additional context, I have worked with my primary AD in 2019 to get my Wife a fairly pricey engagement ring. I've also mentioned she is interested in a updated wedding band in 2024 for our five year anniversary.

I think he understands that I'm going to be a customer for life. I just don't see myself spending thousands of dollars in jewelry every year. My finances just don't sustain that spend.

He'll see me every five years for a milestone purchase - steady and predictable.
if you bought an engagement ring from them and still have to play games to get a sub i'm not sure that's an AD worth doing further business with imo...
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:27 AM   #49
dannyp
Banned

No shipments at all, or no shipments with Sub Dates? The latter I’d believe.

Could also try a bit further north in WI.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:45 PM   #50
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Pro tip here my friend.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I bought my wife some $900 Roberto Coin earrings for VDay. 6 weeks later my SubND “incoming” text arrived. I genuinely like my Sales Rep and always stop by to see him to say hello - and I am not asking for a watch each time (maybe every 3rd visit)😉
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:39 PM   #51
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I reached out to my two good ADs I’m working with for a Sub date and they both said they haven’t gotten any shipments in the last six weeks.

Does anyone know how frequently watches are sent to ADs?
Out of curiosity, you state are working with two AD’s …can you explain what working means
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:15 PM   #52
VerticalClutch
Banned

I don’t read that to mean he’s literally saying no subs have come in. I think he’s politely saying you’re not up yet.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:20 PM   #53
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
AD updates

Quote:
Pro tip here my friend.

Sage advice.

This is because their Rolex guided policy is to sell to people they know. Be a customer. Be known to them for a long period of time. This worked easily for me too when our new boutique opened.
Old 13 April 2023, 09:52 PM   #54
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings4sap View Post
^^^^THIS^^^^

I bought my wife some $900 Roberto Coin earrings for VDay. 6 weeks later my SubND “incoming” text arrived. I genuinely like my Sales Rep and always stop by to see him to say hello - and I am not asking for a watch each time (maybe every 3rd visit)

I’ve bought my wife 2 different Roberto Coin pieces (square earrings and a big diamond cross necklace). Very nice pieces, in which I wanted to get her for special occasions. I’d never buy stuff I didn’t want just to get a mass produced watch. But it’s been years and still no call on a Rolex! And yes I stay in touch every 2 months in person.
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:17 PM   #55
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKScripto View Post
I’ve bought my wife 2 different Roberto Coin pieces (square earrings and a big diamond cross necklace). Very nice pieces, in which I wanted to get her for special occasions. I’d never buy stuff I didn’t want just to get a mass produced watch. But it’s been years and still no call on a Rolex! And yes I stay in touch every 2 months in person.
Yeah that's not enough to build the vaunted 'relationship', unfortunately. As someone else posted, they want continuous purchases of this nature, I'd guess a couple times / year. Your reward is a Rolex after meeting some arbitrary spend threshold.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:41 PM   #56
Nads786
"TRF" Member

While I think the frequent small purchases are a good idea, I do not have any interest in spending excess cash at things my Wife isn't interested in. At that point, I would rather go grey and forgo the AD experience.

Even if i was OK with making these purchases, I have two kids and a demanding job, I don't even have time to go to Home Depot let along going to jewelry stores. It just isn't very feasible.
Old 14 April 2023, 12:16 AM   #57
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

I can't understand why buying stuff you don't want in the future hope of being offered a Rolex is seen as a sound strategy.

There is no guarantee of the ultimate reward. It's basically gambling.

If other purchases are necessary to qualify then why not establish exactly what these are up-front?

The other items can be put by, and when the desired Rolex comes in, the whole deal can be done at once.

Sadly I've not seen this at any AD. I imagine that it's because they can't be officially seen to do this sort of thing, and hence it's all nude, nudge, wink, wink and without any paper trail.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 12:32 AM   #58
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
Quote:
While I think the frequent small purchases are a good idea, I do not have any interest in spending excess cash at things my Wife isn't interested in. At that point, I would rather go grey and forgo the AD experience.

Even if i was OK with making these purchases, I have two kids and a demanding job, I don't even have time to go to Home Depot let along going to jewelry stores. It just isn't very feasible.

With you here brother. The jewelry I bought my wife was stuff I actually got her to tell me she wanted (she’s very frugal), so when she finally says she wants something I jump on it and don’t mind spending for something good quality. However, that’s maybe once per year so obviously not going to be a big spender at the AD, nor do I want to be.
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:01 AM   #59
Partners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKScripto View Post
With you here brother. The jewelry I bought my wife was stuff I actually got her to tell me she wanted (she’s very frugal), so when she finally says she wants something I jump on it and don’t mind spending for something good quality. However, that’s maybe once per year so obviously not going to be a big spender at the AD, nor do I want to be.
I think unless u are a big VIP spender your time would be well spent traveling to other ADs in ur vicinity. These lists are completely arbitrary my friend and I concluded. He was on a couple of ADs list for a sub but after waiting more than a year decided to drive around and visit others. An AD around 1.5 hours away got him a sub at 6 months and still nothing from the original ADs to this point.

HOWEVER, I got a DJ41 SS from one of those original ADs with no purchase history in 3 months. Only stopped in once. Granted DJ is easier than sub but still u get my drift. All this stuff is arbitrary with some luck I think
Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:12 AM   #60
Maxcom
"TRF" Member

I got mine today after 3 months of my first Rolex purchase from the same AD.
Maxcom is offline   Reply With Quote