The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2022, 12:55 AM   #31
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

It’s a real stunner when worn. Love mine to bits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 767240D7-A938-4E92-A9E1-23C073EF7505.jpeg (63.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpeg 4ACBF853-1E6D-4B94-AC56-DCB9616D1C86.jpeg (70.2 KB, 210 views)
Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 01:18 AM   #32
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
It’s easily the most divisive Rolex iteration, and as such, has likely been a slow seller.
AirKing enters the room...

I like the YMII just fine, but it's too big for my wrist hence my reason for not owning one. Then again, I like the AirKing as well, so I'm one of the oddballs.

I also think they are selling every one of them they make (at least as of recent times). They were however as you noted, the last to disappear from cases. I saw a number of them still in cases into mid last year sometime.
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 08:14 AM   #33
hemikuwait
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterking View Post
Discontinued and reviled/indifferent....it'll be a collectors item within two years.

100% guaranteed FOR SURE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hemikuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 09:54 AM   #34
LFFL
"TRF" Member

Too busy for me personally, but wear what ya like.
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 10:08 AM   #35
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Had the steel on the wrist ,actually very nice .

Discontinued,it will run ,especially if there is not a new reference .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 12:50 PM   #36
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG YM2
Love mine!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Webster2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 03:33 PM   #37
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
they hate us cuz they ain’t us -YG yachtmaster II
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 07:16 PM   #38
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

I had the opportunity to try on the WG YM2 exhibition piece at my AD recently.

In terms of heft and size, the SS YM2 is already a pretty substantial watch. But the WG YM2 was on a whole other level.

It felt at least twice as heavy as the SS. Definitely felt like I had a block of gold strapped to my wrist.

It was a real stunner in person. Even the customer next to me was wowed by how nice the watch looked in person.

Wish I could afford the WG YM2 but alas, I’ll have to make do with my SS YM2, which I also love very much.

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 11:42 PM   #39
hemikuwait
"TRF" Member

The combination of white gold and platinum
Leads to one of the heaviest Rolex watches ever produced. 1/4 kilo to be exact

Old 30 April 2022, 12:08 AM   #40
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

The '89' is a great looking watch!
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 03:26 AM   #41
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally posted by inadeje: "Is the YM II possibly the most reviled Rolex on TRF?"
Just my take on this, but I think the Air-King gets more stick here! I think both are very quirky and interesting, rather eye-catching, certainly very different from the rest of Rolex´s catalogue...and why not?
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 03:38 AM   #42
TexEd
"TRF" Member

The watch has zero appeal to me. Too large and looks just like any other commonly worn watch. One would really not know it was a Rolex unless you could read the dial.
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 03:44 AM   #43
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEd View Post
The watch has zero appeal to me. Too large and looks just like any other commonly worn watch. One would really not know it was a Rolex unless you could read the dial.
Thanks for your opinion. On my 7 3/4 wrist it wears just fine. Admittedly, after wearing it the other 40s I have look small for a few days.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 06:56 AM   #44
dannyp
Banned

The reason I've always considered this a "miss" in terms of general consumption is that Rolex went from purpose-built to purpose-specific. Sub was built for diving. GMT was built for pilots. Daytona was built for racing. But, the watch's full functionality is applicable well beyond its originally intended purpose. Sub timing bezel still nice. GMT jumping hour hand very convenient. Daytona still a fully functioning chronograph, good for timing anything.

Not the case with the YM II, though. It has one purpose: Regatta timing.

Within that realm, though, the only element I truly don't like is the text on the bezel.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 07:03 AM   #45
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The reason I've always considered this a "miss" in terms of general consumption is that Rolex went from purpose-built to purpose-specific. Sub was built for diving. GMT was built for pilots. Daytona was built for racing. But, the watch's full functionality is applicable well beyond its originally intended purpose. Sub timing bezel still nice. GMT jumping hour hand very convenient. Daytona still a fully functioning chronograph, good for timing anything.

Within that realm, though, the only element I truly don't like is the text on the bezel.
Hmmm I use mine to time hard-boiled eggs. I wish it had an alarm but since it’s recently discontinued, maybe the next version will have an alarm.

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 07:04 AM   #46
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

Agreed on all fronts.

It is a very narrowly-focused complication. Cool, but narrowly focused.

I think if Rolex hadn’t put the name of the watch on it so prominently, the reception would have been better. I own the original YM, and was puzzled by the prominent YMII.

The current AK is also divisive.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 07:22 AM   #47
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
The current AK is also divisive.
But that's purely a matter of aesthetics. I tell the time. I think in 5min increments. Therefore, functionally, every aspect of the watch is useful.

The YMII, OTOH, has a nice aesthetic to it, but to me the dial is pure clutter since I will never be able to use the majority of functions.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 08:19 AM   #48
hemikuwait
"TRF" Member

The value of a 10 minute countdown timer with memory for daily tasks? Priceless. Most functional watch I have ever owned. And the Yachtmaster text in pure platinum is enough bling for me as the user to know what it is rather than to worry whether it looks like a Rolex to anyone else…

Old 30 April 2022, 10:48 AM   #49
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
It's a unique look, I'll give it that. Personally, I find it odd looking, and the size really doesn't work for my wrist. Hard pass.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 10:57 AM   #50
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I like everything about it but the size; that kills it for me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 11:00 AM   #51
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Is the YM II possibly the most reviled Rolex on TRF?

It legit says yacht master on the bezel. It just screams I want to be noticed. I get that people don’t care and love the watch for many different reasons.

Just not for me, personally. Could care less if was worth a mill 20 years from now. Would just be upset I missed out on some cash. But same time I wear what I like.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 01:17 PM   #52
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster2281 View Post
Love mine!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
I'd have one now if not for the crazy prices in the past few years. I love that watch.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 01:26 PM   #53
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
You know I can imagine myself diving (Sub) and I can imagine my flying a plane (GMT) and I can imagine myself driving a race car (Daytona) and I can imagine myself climbing a mountain or spelunking (Exp/Exp II) but I have never once imagined myself piloting a yacht or timing a regatta. My dislike has nothing to do with the fact that I find the watch profoundly unattractive and everything to do with the fact that I have no interest in its purpose.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 01:40 PM   #54
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

This is one watch that is definitely unique. I just don’t like the dial at all so don’t care for it at all. My own opinion and I’m sure others love it. I don’t but everyone has different taste
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 02:22 PM   #55
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
You know I can imagine myself diving (Sub) and I can imagine my flying a plane (GMT) and I can imagine myself driving a race car (Daytona) and I can imagine myself climbing a mountain or spelunking (Exp/Exp II) but I have never once imagined myself piloting a yacht or timing a regatta. My dislike has nothing to do with the fact that I find the watch profoundly unattractive and everything to do with the fact that I have no interest in its purpose.

Have you seen one in person?

Old 30 April 2022, 02:24 PM   #56
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEd View Post

Wear a YG one and then you’ll see

Old 30 April 2022, 02:52 PM   #57
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster2281 View Post
Have you seen one in person?

Indeed I have.
Old 30 April 2022, 03:05 PM   #58
waterking
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Indeed I have.
I was recently contacted by a party in the UK that I buy hi-fi pieces from, offering me twice msrp for my WG YMII. I explained to him that the piece was thought so little of by various folks on THE Rolex Forum that I just could not bring myself to accept twice MSRP. He leaned back in his chair and, with that famous UK stare, asked me "what I wanted for it". I told him 3x MSRP. 1x because it was what I paid, 2x because it is discontinued with no plans, currently, to replace it, and 3x because I have it and he wants it.

He told me it was a beautiful, uniquely designed watch that a true collector would want in his stable. UK folks are smart like that.
waterking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 03:21 PM   #59
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterking View Post
I was recently contacted by a party in the UK that I buy hi-fi pieces from, offering me twice msrp for my WG YMII. I explained to him that the piece was thought so little of by various folks on THE Rolex Forum that I just could not bring myself to accept twice MSRP. He leaned back in his chair and, with that famous UK stare, asked me "what I wanted for it". I told him 3x MSRP. 1x because it was what I paid, 2x because it is discontinued with no plans, currently, to replace it, and 3x because I have it and he wants it.

He told me it was a beautiful, uniquely designed watch that a true collector would want in his stable. UK folks are smart like that.
You could’ve had 200% of something and instead you got 300% of nothing. But at least you love your watch. At least I think you do because you didn’t say so.
Old 30 April 2022, 03:30 PM   #60
Quamby
"TRF" Member

I have a stainless steel YMII and I don't put it on my wrist as much as I should. But I'm looking to buy a two tone YMII if prices come down enough. The YMII is one of those rare references that look better in two-tone than SS or Gold.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote