The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2019, 12:08 PM   #31
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
I think the most concentrated place I’ve seen Subs were on cruises. Lots more DJs, and DDs but more subs than I cared to count.
When else in life are you crammed next to 4000 people on a tiny boat for 5 days? I think what you’re noticing is the law of large numbers and not every fat clown from Ohio that’s going to drink 48 Coronas on the way to Jamaica own a sub.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 12:11 PM   #32
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
I honestly see Subs and Datejusts quite often. Shopping malls, airports, while on vacations, at family restaurants. One of the reasons I personally haven't added one yet. I seem to notice them everywhere. Those are the 2 most common Rolex I tend to notice. Maybe because they're easy to spot.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 12:12 PM   #33
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

I live in the D.C. area, and I hardly ever see them. Most of which I see is the TT Date Just.
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 12:13 PM   #34
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Common. No.

Common - amongst enthusiast owners, or here on TRF ...maybe....but to the general population. I’d say no way.

Most would think that $8k for a watch is absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 12:17 PM   #35
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Los Angeles quite often. Once a day, 10 a week, many different models.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 12:19 PM   #36
JVM
Banned

In Houston I can't go a day without seeing a Sub, SD, GMT or Daytona, and usually I'll see all or multiples of each every single day. Seeing a Sub is like seeing a 3-series BMW. I'm pretty sure the term "Texas Timex" in reference to Rolex originated in Houston! I also see Royal Oak's, especially Offshore models, weekly. I see far fewer PP's, though usually once every week or two. 5-6 years ago you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a guy wearing a Panerai. They don't seem nearly as popular as they used to be, but I see a couple a week.

Ironically one of the rarest sightings I've had was a Tudor Black Bay Bronze on the wrist of a client. I'm sure he has a seven-figure watch collection, but apparently he's not above wearing a Tudor. Saw him today, and he was wearing a rose gold Royal Oak. He's into watches, not brands.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:32 PM   #37
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Just got back from a trade show - saw about 20 of em. Handful were two tone. Saw a few DJ’s and few Panerai too. Lots and lots of apple watches.

Saw zero of these

Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:35 PM   #38
MinMay
Banned

How common are subs really

In term of Rolex sports watch the sub is the most common sold watch from Rolex brand. I believe some data show Rolex sold sub the most sport watch every year. Datejust is not a sport watch.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:40 PM   #39
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

About as common as a BMW...all over the place
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:43 PM   #40
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
In my area I really don’t see a lot of nice watches, if I see one occasionally it’s usually a Sub! Honestly I like to people watch so I’m always looking.
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:45 PM   #41
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
In Houston I can't go a day without seeing a Sub, SD, GMT or Daytona, and usually I'll see all or multiples of each every single day. Seeing a Sub is like seeing a 3-series BMW. I'm pretty sure the term "Texas Timex" in reference to Rolex originated in Houston! I also see Royal Oak's, especially Offshore models, weekly. I see far fewer PP's, though usually once every week or two. 5-6 years ago you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a guy wearing a Panerai. They don't seem nearly as popular as they used to be, but I see a couple a week.

Ironically one of the rarest sightings I've had was a Tudor Black Bay Bronze on the wrist of a client. I'm sure he has a seven-figure watch collection, but apparently he's not above wearing a Tudor. Saw him today, and he was wearing a rose gold Royal Oak. He's into watches, not brands.

Nice variety of sightings out there by you

Fchernyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:45 PM   #42
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
Just got back from a trade show - saw about 20 of em. Handful were two tone. Saw a few DJ’s and few Panerai too. Lots and lots of apple watches.

Saw zero of these

Nice

Old 2 May 2019, 01:46 PM   #43
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Maybe a little off topic but has anyone put a rubber B strap or everest strap on their subs? Any recommendations in either direction ?

Old 2 May 2019, 01:53 PM   #44
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Used to common but now with Rolex phasing the production toward DJ/TT/PM, a SS Submariner is no longer an easy watch to find from your ADs
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:59 PM   #45
RolexInMelbourne
"TRF" Member

Not sure about NY, but they are everywhere in HK and Singapore.
RolexInMelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 02:05 PM   #46
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
I used to work at jewelry store and an art gallery in Vail, CO. I would see numerous high end watches daily at both jobs. During Mexico week (dubbed this due to very wealthy clientele from Mexico visiting during spring break) I used to see some amazing watches. It was an eye opening experience to see people wearing $100K + watches (Patek Grand Complications, Rolex Crown Collection pieces, Richard Mille Tourbillons, etc,) on a ski vacation. When I commented on these watches often the reply was a simple thanks and an expression that it's no big deal. I actually found how casual these people were about wearing such an expensive watch quite refreshing.

Oh yah, the topic was seeing Submariners, sorry I strayed. I'd see lots of them, mostly at the jewelry store even though we did not sell Rolex.
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 02:41 PM   #47
Nathan356
"TRF" Member

My experience is the same as many of you: I see subs, gmt, Daytona, DJ and Panerai on a very regular basis. I’ve only known one person with an explorer and one with a pelagos. Aside from the Apple Watch and perhaps Fitbit, I think Rolex is the most common brand of watch I see people wearing. Ive known one person each who had a JLC, IWC, and blancpain, and never met anyone with a breguet, zenith, Piaget, Vacheron, and many other “big” brands in the wild. Considering these brands have stores all over the place it illustrates that outside of a few dominant brands, most watchmaking operations are still quite small in the big scheme of things.

Nathan356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 02:44 PM   #48
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Where I live now, occasionally. When in LA and Miami (Bal Harbor), just about everywhere I look!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 02:54 PM   #49
jooxbox
"TRF" Member

I've noticed doctors who wear scrubs routinely tend to wea Subs a lot. Outside pf that, only maybe 1 a week in a big city.
jooxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 04:09 PM   #50
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
Should go to Singapore or especially Hong Kong... everybody and their dog has a Rolex in the professional line. Lots of Sub Dates
This
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 04:22 PM   #51
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Every single time I fly to Dubai from London, in the business class lounge in London for the smart/casual white middle aged man the most common watch is a sub, without a shadow of doubt. The sub is the bare minimum watch to wear in Dubai as an expat. The Arabs/Indians tend to wear solid gold DD/other brand solid gold. On the A380 it’s sub sub sub with the occasional YM.

Hardly ever if ever seen anyone on board with a hot model GMT / Daytona.
In London in general however, I have seen practically every model of Rolex, as well as many high level Pateks in bars / restaurants in the wild. Just last week a guy next to our table in a cheap Chinese restaurant in china town had a panda. German guy. I complemented him and he enjoyed discussing it

I wonder where the most densely populated city per capita in the world for finding Rolex in the wild is ? Monaco ?
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 06:38 PM   #52
Brew
"TRF" Member

Here, in the rest of NY, I only ever see one YM, one DJ, and one OP. Sometimes all on the same dresser. I can't recall ever seeing anyone "in the wild" wearing a Rolex. This might be for lack of looking.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 06:55 PM   #53
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
every 1 out of 5 men over 30 wears a Rolex here in hk.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 06:58 PM   #54
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

In some cities, they are everywhere

Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 07:00 PM   #55
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
i see a lot everyday over here in Hong Kong along with a touch of sea dweller
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 07:01 PM   #56
Gunnersaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tqmb79 View Post
About as common as a BMW...all over the place
Sorry but that is complete bull****.

BMW last year sold around 2.5million cars and Rolex for the whole line only produce around a million watches. BMW are far more common I would say than a sub.
Gunnersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 07:11 PM   #57
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I look at everyones wrist before I look at them in the eyes. Always.

I've never seen a Sub in my workplaces (in over 25 years)

I have 2 male friends and 1 female friend who have a sub.

I rarely ever see a Sub when I'm out at a bar / restaurant. Maybe a handful of times.

However, I did go to a bar recently and there was a group of about 7 or 8 guys that I've known for years (but not close friends) , all around late thirties to late forties.

Five of them had Sub dates on, mix of 5 or 6 digit.
Old 2 May 2019, 07:18 PM   #58
Watch-Ed
"TRF" Member

In Italy, at least in Rome and especially Milan they are everywhere. Lots of Rolexes and even APs around. I know there is a stereotype of Italians and fakes but I disagree. I think they just allocate a bigger part of their budget to appearance.
Watch-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 07:46 PM   #59
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
The Sub is probably the world's most faked watch. Going around and looking at wrists is not going to tell you much about how many Subs there really are.

Some on this forum have reported travelling to Hong Kong and seeing everyone and their mother wearing Rolex watches. Perhaps they were somewhat deceived...
No, HK is really full of real Rolexes even on the wrists of those you're assuming can't afford them.

Most local working people in HK don't spend money on 1 car let alone 2 cars, car insurance, petrol, or going out to eat 5/6 nights a week, huge TVs, multiple large appliances in their tiny flats, boats, jet skis, motorcycles, truckloads of Xmas and B'day presents, hers/his wardrobes the size of bedrooms filled with clothes and shoes/boots, pets, pet food, vet bills, golf, sporting events, etc, etc, etc.

There's a million items the average HK working person does without and doesn't spend money on compared to an "average" American or Kiwi. Most locals I know in HK also know how to do something that's becoming more rare....save money. They view buying a Rolex as purchasing something they can recover the money from if needed.

Believe it or not, by working a normal job and saving one doesn't have to be wealthy to purchase a Rolex if one isn't constantly spending money on all sort of frivolous, unneeded shit we now think are the necessities of life.

Most locals are well-versed in Rolex watches and aren't the ones buying fakes. Those are mostly the tourists coming off the cruise ships and from the airport.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 07:59 PM   #60
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
They are a lot of em from where I’m from.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote