The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2006, 02:20 PM   #31
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
The crown and the bracelet look fake. O ring is wrong, crown just does not look right, bracelet is not right. Also the Rag that comes with it is marked Celleini. Hope I am wrong, but don't think I am. It seems to be a very good quality fake.

I would never buy a Rolex off of Ebay. Especially, since you can get a brand new Sub with date for about $3900 from AD in Hong Kong.

Last edited by leopardprey; 22 December 2006 at 03:54 PM..
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 02:25 PM   #32
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
The crown and the bracelet look fake. O ring is wrong, crown just does not lok right, bracelet is not right. Also the Rag that coems with it is marked Celleini. Hope I am wrong, but don't think I am. It seems to be a very good quality fake.

I would never buy a Rolex off of Ebay. Especiall, since you can get a brand new Sub with date for about $3900 from AD in Hong Kong.
You are 100% on the button!! That POS should be chucked under a Road Roller and that seller hung by his balls!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 03:27 PM   #33
Nine11
Banned

Watch: Z Series SS Sub/Dt
Gentlemen, thanks for all of your help, especially Steve. I contacted the seller and the transaction has been retracted. Unfortunately, the money won't get credited to my paypal account until Tuesday. I learned alot on this forum. I will be looking for a Submariner next week, keep me posted. Until then, thanks again and have a Merry Christmas. Looks like I might go new unless someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.
Nine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 03:51 PM   #34
Blue Bull
Banned

I would not buy a Rolex like that....the risk is simply too high,for the $$ involved.
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 04:18 PM   #35
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
The crown and the bracelet look fake. O ring is wrong, crown just does not look right, bracelet is not right. Also the Rag that comes with it is marked Celleini. Hope I am wrong, but don't think I am. It seems to be a very good quality fake.

I would never buy a Rolex off of Ebay. Especially, since you can get a brand new Sub with date for about $3900 from AD in Hong Kong.
Several comments:

The watch in the link is an obvious fake with an ETA movement.

Original Rolex polishing cloths have "Rolex" in the left lower corner, and "Rolex Cellini" below it.

I've bought 4 Rolex from eBay so far: my TT black Sub, my 40's British military pocket watch, Nancy's Cellini, and her 50's vintage solid gold Rolex with the kinked bracelet. Every one is an authenticated original winner. As always, buy the seller, not the watch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RolexSet3.jpg (173.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg rolex pocket watch.JPG (46.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Nancy Cellini.JPG (113.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg NRolex8.jpg (33.7 KB, 83 views)
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 04:42 PM   #36
LSeca

I don't mean to make a new member feel badly, but this is excactly what my fears are buying off e-bay. As a new Rolex shopper (looking for my first one), I don't know enough about them to tell the genuine from the fake. Unfortunately, there are alot of uninformed people out there like me getting ripped off.

I will prolly have to go buy a new SS rather than risking buying a newer TT used as that is all my budget can handle right now.
LSeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 05:59 PM   #37
miner
"TRF" Member

Nine11
I do hope you have some comeback with the seller of that sub because it really does not look real.
Try here for a real one:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=11268

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 06:13 PM   #38
AJC
"TRF" Member

Some clasp shots of the real deal.

D series clasp shots but the same for all 2000 and > Rolex SEL (Solid End Link).

As the others have said."If in doubt,miss out."

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 06:32 PM   #39
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine11 View Post
Gentlemen, thanks for all of your help, especially Steve. I contacted the seller and the transaction has been retracted. Unfortunately, the money won't get credited to my paypal account until Tuesday. I learned alot on this forum. I will be looking for a Submariner next week, keep me posted. Until then, thanks again and have a Merry Christmas. Looks like I might go new unless someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.
No problem Mario, that's what this community is all about, helping other people and what are friends for. You can never know enough, Merry Christmas and "I want ya all to come on back now ya hear!"
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 07:24 PM   #40
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Get a copy of the Rolex Report and read before looking for and buying a Rolex, that is what I did. I figure a $50 investment on a book about Rolex watches is a good thing to do, before paying $4000 for a watch.

Glad to hear you were able to cancel your transaction.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 07:25 PM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well glad all went well for you, Ebay can unfortunately be quite a nightmare well done TRF members.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2006, 10:05 PM   #42
----

Good job guys! Glad to see you all helped save our newest member some money on a bad deal.
Old 22 December 2006, 10:06 PM   #43
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Nine11,new or used,these guys will point you in the right direction .... A ss Sub ,is and will always be a classic .Glad for your part, you could cancell the deal.

Personally,I would buy it new.
Old 22 December 2006, 11:50 PM   #44
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Get a copy of the Rolex Report and read before looking for and buying a Rolex, that is what I did. I figure a $50 investment on a book about Rolex watches is a good thing to do, before paying $4000 for a watch.

Glad to hear you were able to cancel your transaction.
I have the Rolex report...great book.

This is another example of why NOT TO BUY a Rolex off of eBay.....

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 02:53 AM   #45
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
Well done TRF!
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 02:57 AM   #46
Nine11
Banned

What do you guys think of this one? Not buying it, just asking for the expert eye of the forum sages.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 23 December 2006, 03:12 AM   #47
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
...another example of why NOT TO BUY a Rolex off of eBay.....

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 23 December 2006, 05:00 AM   #48
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Knowing your product goes a long way, but knowing your seller is the ideal.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 05:03 AM   #49
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
Knowing your product goes a long way, but knowing your seller is the ideal.
Knowing your AD is the best of all!!

Old 23 December 2006, 05:31 AM   #50
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Knowing your AD is the best of all!!
Yes,I also enjoy AD more,because BC,Rolex was not available ......
Old 23 December 2006, 05:58 AM   #51
kakalika
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub-Date
I am glad you were able to cancel the deal. Please let us know if you get your paypal money back. If there is a problem and you used a credit card through paypal, I am sure you can contact the credit card company and file a dispute. I am always suspicious of any seller who hides the bidders identities.
I am no expert, but the date on that ebay sub looks a bit funny to me, it seems to be twisted to one side. I know ADs are more expensive, but the only way to have peace of mind is to get your rolex from one.
Old 23 December 2006, 06:36 AM   #52
Nine11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika View Post
I am glad you were able to cancel the deal. Please let us know if you get your paypal money back. If there is a problem and you used a credit card through paypal, I am sure you can contact the credit card company and file a dispute. I am always suspicious of any seller who hides the bidders identities.
I am no expert, but the date on that ebay sub looks a bit funny to me, it seems to be twisted to one side. I know ADs are more expensive, but the only way to have peace of mind is to get your rolex from one.
Paypal just credited my account the full amount. I really don't know how to sum up the guy that almost sold me the watch. He is in his late sixties and he is either very naive or dumb like a fox. I'm only out 16 dollars (cost to ship back overnight). I know, I didn't have to do it, but I want him to get it back as soon as possible so there aren't any further misunderstandings. I'm a member of 2 other forums, 6speedonline and Rennlist, and I must say, the quick responses and accurate information from the forum members here are second to none. You should all give yourself a round of applause. You helped out a complete stranger new to the forum and saved him (me) 3200 dollars. Thanks again, I hope one day I can repay the favor and goodwill.
Old 23 December 2006, 07:23 AM   #53
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika View Post
I know ADs are more expensive, but the only way to have peace of mind is to get your rolex from one.
100%

Old 23 December 2006, 12:59 PM   #54
Blue Bull
Banned

New purchase,I would not even consider buying from anyone else,but an AD .. More expensive ? How much anyway ... ? We all want the best price,but I dont think we should split hairs over a few dollars too ...
Used,I would buy only from one dealer here... you know what you get,pricing is fair,nice selection.Have only bought two Rollies in my lifetime,but always went for new,at the end ...

Now,retuning to the BC theme...I just cant see myself,walking around near the Dead sea,with a dress and some sandals,during biblical times, sporting a DesertDweller .A Sub would also do.... it is below sealevel,after all ..
Old 23 December 2006, 01:15 PM   #55
BogeyFree
"TRF" Member

Hmmm....looks funny to me, especially the bracelet. The time to have a watch examined is before the sale - not after. I would have stayed away personally.
BogeyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 01:19 PM   #56
BogeyFree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I can't thank you all enough. I just got off the phone with the seller. The deal was cancelled. Unfortunately, I won't see the money back in my paypal account until Tuesday. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. I'll be back shopping for a watch next week, keep me in mind if you come across a nice Submariner.

I'm glad you cancelled the sale. There are plenty of good Subs out there. Just buy ther seller - please. Or feel free to check with us first before you plunk down any dough.
BogeyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 06:27 PM   #57
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Hold up Guy's you're killing me!!
Don't put everybody off eBay I'll never get rid of my watches when I want a change
I have sold half a dozen Rolex watches including my Steel Daytona on eBay and many others Omega etc... All genuine and all happy customers, so it isn't all bad.
As most ADs won't take watches in Px how else can you get some cash to invest in another watch when the current
love affair expires.

In saying that though the watch in question here was very bad as was that horrible TT sub with the gold movement.

well done Guy's and good luck with your watch buying Nine11
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote