The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2021, 04:54 AM   #31
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
A couple of things that aren't frequently mentioned. Messing around with straps (like a Nato) can be a decent fairly lower cost idea. YMMV, but changing a strap has never really helped for me IF the issue I've perceived is the watch being heavy. It helps if the bracelet itself is what's uncomfortable obviously. But I noticed if I have an issue with a watch feeling heavy, if I put it on a lighter bracelet the weight just gets distributed more towards the case and it ended up feeling even more top heavy and uncomfortable. Just something you may want to keep in mind. Balance is a huge factor in comfort, ie how the bracelet helps distribute the weight of the watch so it's not top heavy.

Another thing I'll add about comfort is that you need to keep your lifestyle in mind. This is another huge YMMV thing. I previously owned a 16610 that I'll use as an example. Those 5 digit Subs are renowned for comfort. But I did notice it could get a tad uncomfortable during a typical 10-12 hour day at the desk. Mainly because in that position I'm doing a lot of typing and my wrist is positioned in a way where the watch case is constantly facing up and the full weight is bearing down on my wrist. That and the slightly protruding caseback of the 16610 made it so that while it wasn't unbearable, I would look forward to taking it off after a long day at the office. This would be much less of a factor wearing it all day on the weekends, where I'm doing more standing, more walking, and thus my wrist is in all kinds of positions where the case doesn't bear down on my wrist constantly.

I think this is an underrated aspect of watch comfort that one should keep in mind. Maybe you have a desk job where like my Sub example above the watch is in a position where your wrist is bearing the entire weight of the case all day long in a fixed position? If that's the case the only solution may be to either take the watch off while working at the desk or wearing a lighter office watch.
Thank you for the thought-out response. I do sit at a desk for most of the day, so yes, the problem could be that. I wore a 16610 briefly for about a week- and iirc it weighed something like 135-140 grams. Didn't feel it much. Perhaps the issue really is just being in the same position for prolonged periods of time.
Old 29 June 2021, 05:04 AM   #32
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
Put it on a NATO.
I think that would only make it top heavy.
Old 29 June 2021, 05:04 AM   #33
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
7.1." Only needed to remove one link from the bracelet when I bought it.

Here's how it appears on the wrist (pardon the smudge & glare on the crystal):

Good point. Like someone else here said- the problem might be me. Perhaps it's a health thing, I dunno. Maybe there's tension due to some other stuff (I work a desk job, etc etc).

Fair enough.

I have had watches that physically hurt to wear. For whatever reason, they just hit the wrong nerve in my wrist in the wrong way and I end up not being able to wear that watch/bracelet.

But one suggestion is to swap it out to a rubber bracelet. Maybe a Rubber B or Horus or Everest. Those rubber straps are made to fit and they are very comfortable. I put one on my sea dweller for a while and loved it. Fresh look and fresh feel. It’s better than putting an old jubilee on it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 05:18 AM   #34
spikep
"TRF" Member

Speechless
16610 LN, 16610 LV, 126610 LV, 126622 Rhodium, 126710 BLRO jubilee, 126710 BLRO oyster, 126719 Meteorite, 116710 BLNR, 126711 CHNR, 126715 CHNR, 326934 BLACK, 326934 GREEN, 216570 BLACK, 116500LN WHITE, 116500LN BLACK, 126710 VTNR jubilee
spikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 05:26 AM   #35
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
+1 on the idea of getting a high quality rubber strap for this to keep it snug and form fitting to your wrist, connected to the model's clasp. Should feel balanced and not top heavy, and drop some of the weight on wrist.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:04 AM   #36
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
My wrist slopes away from me causing my watch to dramatically fall towards 12. With a Rolex I generally have five links on the 6 side and seven links on the 12 side to limit this. If I split the links evenly 6 and 6 the way it falls drives me crazy. While making this change doesn’t directly affect the weight it has the potential to change your perception of the weight. So since you can’t change the actual weight of the watch and bracelet try reconfiguring the bracelet to change the way it falls and therefore your perception of it.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:14 AM   #37
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

The modern ceramic sports models are simply meant to be seen/felt whereas the 5 digit and earlier watches were sized/weighted appropriately for something that you'd legitimately wear every day, everywhere, and which would ideally disappear into your arm. I agree that you should get a pre-ceramic. The 16710 looks superior as well. I know you said you wanted great lume, but honestly Rolex is the wrong brand if you want good lume. My swatches and cheap Seikos all blow away my new Sub for intensity and duration of lume.

But I guess where you lost me was the discussion of bicep workouts. Surely you aren't having a hard time lifting your hand off the table. What are we really talking about here? It seems like you have a watch with a lot of wrist presence and you don't really care for that feeling. Which is totally fine. I love switching back to a Swatch after wearing a "heavy" watch for a few days. Feels almost refreshing. But then after wearing the plastic toy for a bit, putting the solid Rolex/Omega/etc back on feels equally good. Just two different deals completely.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:18 AM   #38
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Is this the burner account for the guy that started the 34 dial thread?
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:19 AM   #39
Director EDTF
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rubber strap or Nato.
Old 29 June 2021, 06:24 AM   #40
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Simple answer the sell the watch and buy another one you like. A year is a long time to try it’s clearly not the watch for you. I’d advise going to a big grey dealer and trying on what they have in.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:26 AM   #41
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Do arm curls, and get the oyster for better balance in weight.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:31 AM   #42
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Never,ever,even think about a DSSD ....
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:39 AM   #43
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
OP. This may sound like a silly question but it is not. Do you wear your watch on your non dominant hand? If so, try it on your dominant hand.

It may feel lighter and hence more comfortable.
Old 29 June 2021, 06:55 AM   #44
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Maybe put it on a Diet?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 07:06 AM   #45
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Never,ever,even think about a DSSD ....
Wouldn't dream of it.

If I had a bigger wrist I'd sooner consider the SD43. That red line is sublime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Maybe put it on a Diet?
I begged it to use "Omega 3 oils" instead of whatever synthetic ones Rolex gives it.
Old 29 June 2021, 07:08 AM   #46
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Simple answer the sell the watch and buy another one you like. A year is a long time to try it’s clearly not the watch for you. I’d advise going to a big grey dealer and trying on what they have in.
This ^ is the only answer I'm afraid.

(Not disputing how it feels to you OP, but this is new one to me as I've honestly never heard of anyone finding a 40mm Rolex too heavy)
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 07:10 AM   #47
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
OP. This may sound like a silly question but it is not. Do you wear your watch on your non dominant hand? If so, try it on your dominant hand.

It may feel lighter and hence more comfortable.
Not at all a silly question. I'm right-handed, and wear my watch on my left hand.
Old 29 June 2021, 07:12 AM   #48
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
You need a 16710.
dP
Exactly. Or a 16700, etc.
they do weigh more and I still notice a difference- love em all though.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 07:12 AM   #49
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
My wrist slopes away from me causing my watch to dramatically fall towards 12. With a Rolex I generally have five links on the 6 side and seven links on the 12 side to limit this. If I split the links evenly 6 and 6 the way it falls drives me crazy. While making this change doesn’t directly affect the weight it has the potential to change your perception of the weight. So since you can’t change the actual weight of the watch and bracelet try reconfiguring the bracelet to change the way it falls and therefore your perception of it.
This is another really interesting take- the possibility that the watch is off-balanced and is pulling the wrist down from one side. I will try putting one link on the other side to see if it helps. Thank you
Old 29 June 2021, 07:21 AM   #50
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Balancing the weight of a watch, and getting the correct fit, can take some trial and error to get right. My sd4k has 4 links in the 6 o'clock side and 6 on the 12 o'clock side. It sounds like it shouldn't work, and off the wrist is looks like the clasp is off centre, but on the wrist it sits perfectly, a fraction to the inside of my wrist.
Old 29 June 2021, 07:49 AM   #51
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
You need a 16710.
dP
This or put it on a strap. Most of the weight is in the bracelet.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 07:53 AM   #52
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Are you wearing it loose? If so, snug it up. I find loose watches feel heavier on the wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 07:59 AM   #53
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Buy a titanium watch and put it on a nato or just use your phone .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 08:05 AM   #54
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
How loose/tight do you wear the watch and how many hours each day do you wear it? Are you wearing this thing every day?
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 08:07 AM   #55
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
I set out to acquire a 126710BLRO GMT because it fit most of the criteria I wanted in a GMT-Master, namely the strong lume relative to its predecessors.

I felt its heft the first time I put it in- but many people told me "eh, you'll get used to it."

Over a year later, I have not. It's heavy.

Does anyone have advice? There aren't many muscles around the wrist- and I question whether the forearm muscles will help much. A friend of mine suggested that further working out one's biceps might surprisingly help, as it's those muscles that help lift the entirety of the arm. Another friend suggested swapping the solid Jubilee link bracelet with an older bracelet that fits, perhaps an Oyster bracelet with hollow links (i.e., whatever bracelet was on the 16610, which might actually fit). I'd rather not part with the watch if I don't have to.

Thank you in advance!
Very strange..... I found it the most confortable watch from all my collection
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 08:14 AM   #56
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Well perhaps you should look into other GMT watches in titanium: Seiko, Omega, etc. have options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 08:18 AM   #57
Cheng
Banned

I think you should try another model, this isn't for you.
Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 08:45 AM   #58
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Balancing the weight of a watch, and getting the correct fit, can take some trial and error to get right. My sd4k has 4 links in the 6 o'clock side and 6 on the 12 o'clock side. It sounds like it shouldn't work, and off the wrist is looks like the clasp is off centre, but on the wrist it sits perfectly, a fraction to the inside of my wrist.
This answer helped a lot, and I think you may have provided the solution. It doesn't appear so from the photos, but the watch does actually lean away from me- I'm thinking that having an equal amount of links on either side of the watch is the culprit. As it leans away, the imbalance makes the arm sore.
Old 29 June 2021, 08:48 AM   #59
mkruger311
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5512
Make sure you have it sized correctly. I've seen many people with an extra link or lack of down on the 6 o'clock side, causing the clasp to not be centered on your wrist. The 6 digit GMT on jubilee is pretty comfortable but still not as comfortable as a 5 digit on oyster even.

I prefer a 5 digit for all day wear.

Try out a 16710. It's a much smoother wearing watch, especially an older model with non SEL.

Good luck!
mkruger311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 09:01 AM   #60
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkruger311 View Post
Make sure you have it sized correctly. I've seen many people with an extra link or lack of down on the 6 o'clock side, causing the clasp to not be centered on your wrist. The 6 digit GMT on jubilee is pretty comfortable but still not as comfortable as a 5 digit on oyster even.

I prefer a 5 digit for all day wear.

Try out a 16710. It's a much smoother wearing watch, especially an older model with non SEL.

Good luck!
Thank you sir- will do.

Tags
126710 , 126710blro , gmt , gmt-master ii , weight