The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2009, 12:15 AM   #31
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
I couldn't care less who sells Rolex, i'm more interested in the price

The thing that is starting to annoy me about Rolex these days is the way they're trying to move up to another level within the watch world, for me they are the best mass produced watches on the market, they're not handmade like Patek, they're not styled like others, they're basically a great tool watch for normal folk who like watches, and normal folk use places like Costco so what's the problem?

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 12:38 AM   #32
alohanakoni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona TT
next thing you know....Sam's club will carry them, too!
Old 30 July 2009, 12:42 AM   #33
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post

The thing that is starting to annoy me about Rolex these days is the way they're trying to move up to another level within the watch world, for me they are the best mass produced watches on the market, they're not handmade like Patek, they're not styled like others, they're basically a great tool watch for normal folk who like watches, and normal folk use places like Costco so what's the problem?
The Rolex brand is based on a feeling of exclusivity, Costco, Wal-Mart, and others diminsh this feeling imho.

Take it to the extreme: if EVERYONE has a Rolex, they're not special anymore.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 12:46 AM   #34
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
The Rolex brand is based on a feeling of exclusivity, Costco, Wal-Mart, and others diminsh this feeling imho.

Based on the production numbers of Rolex, rumored to be over 1mm watches a year, I am not sure why anyone thinks Rolex is exclusive.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 12:48 AM   #35
steelers
"TRF" Member

How can this happen?
steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 01:54 AM   #36
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
I have not seen Rolex at the local Costco but I have seen ...

I have not seen Rolex at the local Costco but I have seen Omega, Breitling, Oris and Cartier there.
vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 01:55 AM   #37
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Based on the production numbers of Rolex, rumored to be over 1mm watches a year, I am not sure why anyone thinks Rolex is exclusive.
Well, it's the appearance. Also, 'watch spot' for a while. I'd bet you see 100 or maybe a 1,000 Timex before you see a Rolex on a wrist out in public - exclusive.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:22 AM   #38
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post

Fully agree with you on this one To me Rolex is still Rolex, just as all the other brands like Tag Heuer or Omega are who they are, regardless to who is a Grey dealer. The pricing plays an important rolex in who will / can buy them. So even if they sold at any random retailer the item itself and pricing is still aimed at folks like us.

Quote:

You make a VERY good point here in the second sentence but I still have to disagree. Costco even if they sell them cheaper still sell at a price where the majority of their shoppers would not be able to buy them. I can not see a person who knows nothing of the brand or could not afford to visit AD's to check walking into Costco one day to buy something and sayng "Oh, there is a Rolex for $5,500.00 CAD maybe I should buy this right now". Like stated above, the item itself and pricing plays a big role on who buys it. Non watch lovers who see them sitting there would not think of stuff generally like "Oh, Costco is selling Rolex, they must not be that good". Not the case because they still are what they are.

Quote:

Totally agree with all of your points. I also see it as a good thing because the closest Costco to my house sells Tag Heuer, Omega, Rolex etc etc and all of the AD's are out of the suburbs. One day I will go there to look again and see what they have in the display case.

Quote:
Well, it's the appearance. Also, 'watch spot' for a while. I'd bet you see 100 or maybe a 1,000 Timex before you see a Rolex on a wrist out in public - exclusive.

That is a good point there. Us watch lovers are the minority of the human population, for sure. Even a lot of people who can afford them just are not into expensive watches. Downtown Toronto in areas like the financial district, Yorkville - Bloor street (Bloor street is to Toronto, what 5th Avenue is to Manhattan) you hardly see any on wrists, or watches at all for that matter. Espectially considering the amount of people out / around at any given time too.

Truth is though, Rolex is mass produced and not on the same level as Patek Philippe, Adumars Piguet or brands like this, regardless to what they do or how hard they try. Around 900,000 watches a year for the WIS community is a lot vs brands making less than 50,000 a year or some even less than 10,000 to be shipped around world wide. Even herd of a brand that does like 5,000 watches a year. To me that is the true definition to "Exclusive" when hardly any exsist in the WIS community. What you say is true though, do not spot a lot of Rolexes in general but it does depend on the time and area your in.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:28 AM   #39
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Maybe we will even see some specials, a special price for a Rolex with a can of SPAM!

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:30 AM   #40
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
At the Fukuoka Costco, they stock Omega, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Cartier, Oris, Zenith, Frank Muller, Bulgari, Rolex and even Rado. All at much lower prices than the ADs. They've had them in stock for at least the last three or four years as far as I can remember.

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:43 AM   #41
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
No doubt. Heck, having a Costco card in your wallet is probably more exclusive than owning one of the multi-million Rolex's on the market these days . IMO, anyone that is more concerned with who/where a watch is sold is probably looking to the brand for the wrong reasons (read: elitist that wants people to drool over the name on the dial instead of the actual watch). And lets not forget about the price...from what I can tell, it's not like these Costco Rolex examples are listed at a HUGE discount...therefore someone's still got to pay the price to become an owner.

Costco has been selling many high-end vehicles through their partnership program for years...are you trying to tell me if your neighbor showed up in a new Lexus or 5-series BMW he bought through Costco you would instantly think less of the brand (or specific car for that matter)? Give me a break!

Any backlash about this trend IMO is nothing more than your typical AD snobbery and people buying into the idea that it's fine to pay full retail as long as the guy/gal selling you the watch has on a nice suit and offers you a cup of coffee is a gleaming watch showroom. If that helps one to sleep better at night after paying full retail, then who am I to say it's wrong. Personally, I'll keep the extra cash in my wallet and buy the exact same quality product where ever I can get the best deal - period!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:48 AM   #42
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
They have also carried Patek.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:48 AM   #43
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
No doubt. Heck, having a Costco card in your wallet is probably more exclusive these days than owning one of the multi-million Rolex's on the market these days . IMO, anyone that is more concerned with who/where a watch is sold is probably looking to the brand for the wrong reasons (read: elitist that wants people to drool over the name on the dial instead of the actual watch). And lets not forget about the price...from what I can tell, it's not like these Costco Rolex examples are listed at a HUGE discount...therefore someone's still got to pay the price to become an owner.

Costco has been selling many high-end vehicles through their partnership program for years...are you trying to tell me if your neighbor showed up in a new Lexus or 5-series BMW he bought through Costco you would instantly think less of the brand (or specific car for that matter)? Give me a break!

Any backlash about this trend IMO is nothing more than your typical AD snobbery and people buying into the idea that it's fine to pay full retail as long as the guy/gal selling you the watch has on a nice suit and offers you a cup of coffee is a gleaming watch showroom. If that helps one to sleep better at night after paying full retail, then who am I to say it's wrong. Personally, I'll keep the extra cash in my wallet and buy the exact same quality product where ever I can get the best deal - period!

I think what bothers me the most is if Costco is selling them at a very low price! I assume the ADs are mad about this since Costco members will either buy from Costco or assume they will get the same price from their local AD.

Allan
Old 30 July 2009, 02:50 AM   #44
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
food

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsubdate View Post
A Rolex box lying in a shopping cart, next to hot dogs, tuna cans and a gallon of milk ... WOW! So classy .......
What if you threw in some Grey Poupon? Would that help?
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:52 AM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
Wow Wow Wow...
I have to say...I'M FLOORED!!! What the heck is Costco doing selling Rolex...... Rolex with timex etc!! Does that seem right to you?? Cant believe Rolex would allow this......
Sorry,but still lost for words after I checked it out myself!!!
And why ever not its just a outlet just like any other outlet, and if its cheaper, why not buy there. Its the same Rolex watch no matter where its bought.

Quote:
Tarnish that image Rolex, what's next - WAL-MART Rolexes - We Sell for Less...

Imagine if you could find Pateks in Costco?
And why not Patek is just a watch just like Rolex, afraid
companies like Rolex have dictated where you can buy.Or what you can do to your own watch far too long IMHO and if it was cheaper why not buy a Patek or Rolex at other outlets other than ADs

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 02:55 AM   #46
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
No doubt. Heck, having a Costco card in your wallet is probably more exclusive than owning one of the multi-million Rolex's on the market these days . IMO, anyone that is more concerned with who/where a watch is sold is probably looking to the brand for the wrong reasons (read: elitist that wants people to drool over the name on the dial instead of the actual watch). And lets not forget about the price...from what I can tell, it's not like these Costco Rolex examples are listed at a HUGE discount...therefore someone's still got to pay the price to become an owner.

We are on the exact same page with this issue, indeed
Old 30 July 2009, 03:53 AM   #47
jayong

Watch: SS GMT IIc
Wow. I started this thread just to point out another place my fellow Canadian watch enthusiasts can pick up a new Rolex, and it looks like the topic touched a real nerve. Nice :)

Here's my 2 cents: I'm not sure why there's all the indignity about Costco selling Rolexes. First of all, I think those of us who do shop at Costco have nothing but respect for what they do. They've never done wrong by the consumer. Secondly, obviously Costco is a grey dealer in this case. They've very upfront about that fact. But I'm not sure what's wrong with buying from them as oppose to buying from the numerous reputable grey dealers on TRF. I'm sure those folks offer some outstanding service, kudos to them, but so does Costco, and Costco offers something that no one, not even the ADs, would do: if after 2 weeks you decide that the DJ looks too small on your wrist, or you want a TT instead of a SS, or you want a PAM instead, you can just take it back and return it. Who can beat that?

BTW, the Rolexes on Costco.ca are online only, meaning you may but are unlikely to find them in the warehouse display cases. So much for a can of grey poupon with your Rolex - you can't buy mustard online at Costco.ca ;-)
jayong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 04:46 AM   #48
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
What if you threw in some Grey Poupon? Would that help?
Now that's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayong View Post

Here's my 2 cents: I'm not sure why there's all the indignity about Costco selling Rolexes. First of all, I think those of us who do shop at Costco have nothing but respect for what they do. They've never done wrong by the consumer. Secondly, obviously Costco is a grey dealer in this case. They've very upfront about that fact. But I'm not sure what's wrong with buying from them as oppose to buying from the numerous reputable grey dealers on TRF. I'm sure those folks offer some outstanding service, kudos to them, but so does Costco, and Costco offers something that no one, not even the ADs, would do: if after 2 weeks you decide that the DJ looks too small on your wrist, or you want a TT instead of a SS, or you want a PAM instead, you can just take it back and return it. Who can beat that?
All great points. Lets see...I get the EXACT same quality watch, for less $ AND have the option to return it after trying it out in the 'real world' without having to lose money. Yeah, this Costco thing seems like a real crummy deal...why would anyone think this is something us as consumers would like?!?!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 05:48 AM   #49
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
I don't care if a Rolex is sold there...

If I saw a Submariner or a GMT II in a COSTCO or a Sam's club at a very good price I would snag ththing right up, I don't care where it came from.

Besides the sales people at Costco, while admittedly are likely not as knowledgeable about watches, are a lot nicer than the typical douchebag at watch stores like Tourneau and probably as knowledgeable as the typical sales person in our local Jared Jeweler.
vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 06:55 AM   #50
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
If I saw a Submariner or a GMT II in a COSTCO or a Sam's club at a very good price I would snag ththing right up, I don't care where it came from.

Besides the sales people at Costco, while admittedly are likely not as knowledgeable about watches, are a lot nicer than the typical douchebag at watch stores like Tourneau and probably as knowledgeable as the typical sales person in our local Jared Jeweler.

Hahahahaha, totally know what you mean there! Hardly happens but every now and again I come across some jerks like that too in AD's.
Old 30 July 2009, 08:37 AM   #51
jayong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
Talk about douchebags at ADs. I was at a national chain jeweler looking at Omegas and Rolexes. They sent their "Omega" watch expert over to talk to me, and he bragged that he is more or less THE North American expert on Omega watches.

I was looking at a Speedmaster with a "Solar Impulse" logo, and I asked him what that was. He told me that the VERY special Omega had a solar panel and was solar powered. Stunned, I said I would expect a $7k Speedmaster to be an automatic and not quartz, and, clearly insulted, he responded "Of course, all Speedmasters are automatics. The solar panel simply added "power" to the watch's "power source."' I said, "Really, you can charge up a spring using solar energy? What do you do, heat it up or pass electricity through it?" He responded, "No, you can charge up a co-axial movement but not the spring." At that point, I politely walked away from the store.

Moral of the story: just because a jeweler is an AD, or a salesman in the said AD claims to be an expert, doesn't mean they know s%^* about watches :)
Old 30 July 2009, 09:53 AM   #52
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Talk about douchebags at ADs. I was at a national chain jeweler looking at Omegas and Rolexes. They sent their "Omega" watch expert over to talk to me, and he bragged that he is more or less THE North American expert on Omega watches.

I was looking at a Speedmaster with a "Solar Impulse" logo, and I asked him what that was. He told me that the VERY special Omega had a solar panel and was solar powered. Stunned, I said I would expect a $7k Speedmaster to be an automatic and not quartz, and, clearly insulted, he responded "Of course, all Speedmasters are automatics. The solar panel simply added "power" to the watch's "power source."' I said, "Really, you can charge up a spring using solar energy? What do you do, heat it up or pass electricity through it?" He responded, "No, you can charge up a co-axial movement but not the spring." At that point, I politely walked away from the store.

Moral of the story: just because a jeweler is an AD, or a salesman in the said AD claims to be an expert, doesn't mean they know s%^* about watches :)

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA That was too funny, seriously...

Reminds me of the little AD girl who told me my Planet Ocean has a ceramic bezel. I was just like "Oh cool.................." and kept on looking around.
Old 30 July 2009, 10:05 AM   #53
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

It could be worse. McDonalds could start selling them with their hamburgers!

Allan
Old 30 July 2009, 10:07 AM   #54
jayong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Reminds me of the little AD girl who told me my Planet Ocean has a ceramic bezel. I was just like "Oh cool.................." and kept on looking around.
While it is theoretically possible that a PO has a ceramic bezel, the very idea of a solar powered automatic watch... imagine that! Our conversation actually lasted quite a bit longer and revolved around how energy is stored inside a spring. He even took out an Omega catalog to try to prove his point and find details about how the solar panel works inside an Omega watch!

In case anyone is wondering, the "Solar Impulse" logo has to do with the watch commemorating the flight of an aircraft named.... "Solar Impulse."
Old 30 July 2009, 10:18 AM   #55
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Guilty of the same crime as J. Crew - these are infidels!
Old 30 July 2009, 10:25 AM   #56
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
While it is theoretically possible that a PO has a ceramic bezel, the very idea of a solar powered automatic watch... imagine that! Our conversation actually lasted quite a bit longer and revolved around how energy is stored inside a spring. He even took out an Omega catalog to try to prove his point and find details about how the solar panel works inside an Omega watch!

In case anyone is wondering, the "Solar Impulse" logo has to do with the watch commemorating the flight of an aircraft named.... "Solar Impulse."

Yeah, I know what you mean there, it is true. Ceramic bezel on a Planet Ocean is more a novice or honest mistake but that supposed "Expert" with the Solar Impulse...
Old 30 July 2009, 10:36 AM   #57
Hamtaro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
Guilty of the same crime as J. Crew - these are infidels!
But didn't J Crew sell 'vintage' ?
Old 30 July 2009, 10:55 AM   #58
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtaro View Post
But didn't J Crew sell 'vintage' ?
Yes, but that's a technicality since neither is an A.D.
Old 30 July 2009, 11:08 AM   #59
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
Awesome, I can drive to Canada, pick me up a Datejust and a hotdog.
hey, don't forget the chicken bake and churro, too!
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 11:30 AM   #60
rolexsubdate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
hey, don't forget the chicken bake and churro, too!
And don't forget .... they will package it for you in a big cardboard box, laying on a shopping cart, with handles on both sides .... that probably held potatoes about an hour ago.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (27.1 KB, 131 views)
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote