The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2009, 10:44 AM   #31
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I must be one of the few people who had ZERO problems with Vista. I installed it when it first came out and everything just worked (Using a Lenovo T61). I know I'll end up buying Windows 7 some time soon.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 01:35 PM   #32
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I hated Vista from the first time I tried it out, and was screwed with a version that wouldn't downgrade to XP. An absolute disgrace as "improvements" go! Then I got insulted with the BS ad campaign saying how people loved it when they did not know they were using Vista because it was flying under a different name.

I have waited for W7 for nearly 18 months now, and love it! I told my computer tech guy I thought W7 is what Vista should have been all along, and he replied the sentiment has been echoed all over the net reviews.

IMHO Microsoft has decided to listen to what users wanted, and incorporated that feedback into the new interface. They also let the designers improve it under the skin. I suspect Microsoft accepted the usual dissatisfaction normally expressed by consumers, but took greater notice when Vista drew such boos, hisses and catcalls. They needed to know they produced a dog of an OS, and I am told Bill Gates himself eventually admitted Vista was a mistake.

It is great to see Microsoft is finally making more intuitive software! I found it a quick, simple adjustment with straightforward menus. Just a subjective evaluation, but I believe is a tad quicker on my machine. Its code is not a "bloated" as Vista, and it does not really eat up RAM the way I was initially told, either. I can't help but notice the battery on my laptop does not run down as fast, either.

Suddenly, I don't miss XP nearly as much!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 03:45 PM   #33
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Just installed 7 and so far this is blazeing fast os with alot of needed user friendly tools.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 04:23 PM   #34
blackmsport
Banned

agree... .... Vista is a total POS.... Big Poopoo
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 06:14 PM   #35
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

I just updated my HP laptop from Vista to Windows 7 with no problems. Everything seems to be working well, noticably faster in some areas, but pretty much the same in most. Even though I have to agree Vista was a big mistake, Windows 7 really isn't anything revolutionary over the lastest servicepack version of Vista. Best feature in my opinion is the smaller footprint, making it viable for slower computers and netbooks.

I'm still debating whether or not I also want to install it on my Macbook Pro as dual boot.
Old 25 October 2009, 07:40 PM   #36
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
Just got a new laptop with windows 7 last night...didnt yet have a chance to explore it.
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2009, 08:08 PM   #37
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Been running Window 7 RTM for sinc June 09 now. Overall it's a total step up to Vista and much more stable.
Driver-wise 7 still has a lot to catch up with XP, especially if you install 7 on 64bit, but this issue is existing for Vista 64 bit anyway, just that when more people migrate to 7, the 64 bit driver not available issue will magnify significantly. In my case, I had to purchase a new tv tuner card for 7. Otherwise 99% of my software still works.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 12:04 AM   #38
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
I am still on XP (because of good experiences with stability) on my PC's. I have an Ubuntu OS PC at home and my wife's laptop runs Vista.

My daily-driver work laptop is a Dell D630 running XP. I guess I have been on this one for 2 years now. No issues. I don't know why people can't run Windows without hurting themselves.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 02:17 AM   #39
SSD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post

My daily-driver work laptop is a Dell D630 running XP. I guess I have been on this one for 2 years now. No issues. I don't know why people can't run Windows without hurting themselves.
Oh, XP is very very easy to operate without hurting yourself, I loved it and hated to see it go. I still miss it a little, to tell you the truth. Its great, and I am relieved to have W7 now. It is just as easy to operate, unlike Vista. For example, my computer has not asked me for permission to continue doing whatever I just told it to do (I hated that about Vista as well!). After XP, that will get old in a big hurry, and it is only one "feature".

One minor issue: if anyone would like to go from XP to Windows 7, its going to be a task. Upgrading will not work, you must back up your data and execute a "clean" installation. Then your applications & data will need to be reloaded.

I had a tech do the same for me, in fact. I was working and just didn't have the time. He did a great job!!! I am happy to have the clean installation, IMHO if you do it yourself is is simple. Just put in the CD and watch it go. It will take time, that is all.

Well, if Windows 7 couldn't be named "Windows: Apology", that's OK. No more complaints now!!!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

Old 26 October 2009, 03:58 AM   #40
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Glad to see so many folks happy with Win 7. I have been running it for about 7 months now.

As for upgrading vs. clean install, I personally upgraded a 64 bit Vista to 64 bit Win 7 (mostly to see how well it would work).

For those who are wondering which to do, -strongly- consider moving to 64 bit if you haven't already. This will require a clean install to move from 32 bit of any Windows OS to Win 7 64 bit. If your processor is even remotely modern, going to 64 bit is a good move.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 04:08 AM   #41
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Are you kidding...the ads are brilliant. Whether they are true or not, it's an AD CAMPAIGN. The latest edition where PC keeps going back in time saying everything w/ the "New" system is going to be perfect, "Trust Me" is brilliant marketing. Lets be real, that's what everyone was/is thinking...why not exploit it?

No competitor should give credit to the competition, especially not in an ad campaign. Should Coke say the New Pepsi tastes great? Should Bud Light advertise that Coors Light is pretty darn good? Obviously not. Regardless of what camp you're in, Apple's new ad's attacking Windows 7 if far from "missing the point"...they knocked the crap out of the point.
Shrug. MS has been super restrained in this rather one-sided ad war (far too restrained for some analysts). They even caved in the face of ridiculous legal whining from Apple a few months back. MS is trying not to look like it's throwing its weight around and has pulled nearly all of the punches it could have been making.

Motorola and Verizon are really socking it to Apple in the US with the Droid ads, and a lot of analysts predict very similar ads coming from Microsoft now that Win7 is here. Giggle now Apple fans... you'll very likely be on the receiving end of some equally frustrating (and true) attack ads soon.
Old 26 October 2009, 06:31 AM   #42
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Shrug. MS has been super restrained in this rather one-sided ad war (far too restrained for some analysts). They even caved in the face of ridiculous legal whining from Apple a few months back. MS is trying not to look like it's throwing its weight around and has pulled nearly all of the punches it could have been making.

Motorola and Verizon are really socking it to Apple in the US with the Droid ads, and a lot of analysts predict very similar ads coming from Microsoft now that Win7 is here. Giggle now Apple fans... you'll very likely be on the receiving end of some equally frustrating (and true) attack ads soon.
Bring it.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 06:43 AM   #43
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I guess I'm not a power user like some people. I've got XP on most of my machines and Vista on my Fujitsu notebook that I travel with. I've had zero problems with Vista; I've had some occasional funky stuff with my home and office desktops running XP but nothing major. I'll no doubt go to W7 with my next purchase; likely a new notebook next year. Until then, I'll just muddle along.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 06:57 AM   #44
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

I really think microsoft made a good product starting off in the right direction, even thou i have a apple i think i will run windows 7 thou boot camp (just maybe)
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 06:02 PM   #45
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Bring it.
I'm all for it too. Personally, I could care less which is 'better'...PC vs. Mac has become a religious/political 'debate' in many circles...I get a kick out of how some people become ssssooooo zealous in their defense of 'their computer'. Me? I really don't give 2 sheeitz...I'll go w/ the one that works best for me at the time I need to buy a new computer. If it's a PC, great. If it's a Mac, great. Who really cares...it's a damn computer that will be obsolete in 5 minutes anyway?

But, I'm all for ad campaign wars, as long as they're entertaining. If PC/MS can finally figure out a campaign as entertaining as the Mac vs. PC stuff I'll happily stop my DVR fast forward for their ads too. Personally, I don't think they've got it in them...but I would love to be proven wrong.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2009, 06:44 PM   #46
SSD
"TRF" Member

As happy as I am with W7 I will tell you guys this: if it was as annoying as Vista, the plan was not really for an XP downgrade. Plan B was a trip to the Apple store. I was that sick of Vista, and I love the Apple displays & graphics.

Watching the ad wars is great, isn't it?

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

Old 26 October 2009, 10:16 PM   #47
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

I never really had any problems with vista either, but then again I never had the early release version which was buggy. But I have to say this 7 is very quick. I did the full install on my fairly new Dell laptop, and it didn't take long to install at all.
I copied from an external hard drive two folders one being just over 6 gig and one just under. I couldn't believe the difference in speed from when I was running it with vista. I also like the snap feature where you can have two open windows side by side, which is good for comparing or copying of things.
Old 26 October 2009, 10:37 PM   #48
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
I know people having problems with W7. Mostly wireless dongles not working or giving very slow speeds.

I have Vista 64 bit and have no problems at all. XP is also very stable.

As for PC v Mac...they're both pretty good at doing what they're made to do in my opinion. Macs were better than PCs, then PCs caught up and then overtook the MAC, and this is still going on. Mac's have intel chips now. I think that pretty much sums up where they're heading - Macs will have the same architecture as a PC soon and there will be more competition in the OS market ( OS chrome etc). Anyone who thinks that Microsoft will continue to dominate the market forever has their head in the sand.
Old 26 October 2009, 11:28 PM   #49
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
I know people having problems with W7. Mostly wireless dongles not working or giving very slow speeds.

I have Vista 64 bit and have no problems at all. XP is also very stable.

As for PC v Mac...they're both pretty good at doing what they're made to do in my opinion. Macs were better than PCs, then PCs caught up and then overtook the MAC, and this is still going on. Mac's have intel chips now. I think that pretty much sums up where they're heading - Macs will have the same architecture as a PC soon and there will be more competition in the OS market ( OS chrome etc). Anyone who thinks that Microsoft will continue to dominate the market forever has their head in the sand.

Don't underestimate the power of existing market share. Just look at Symbian... They continue to retain a shockingly large percentage of smartphone deployments worldwide, and Gartner predicts they'll retain a huge dominant chunk of it.
Old 27 October 2009, 12:08 AM   #50
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Don't underestimate the power of existing market share. Just look at Symbian... They continue to retain a shockingly large percentage of smartphone deployments worldwide, and Gartner predicts they'll retain a huge dominant chunk of it.
But do you remember when Novell had 95% of the market for network OS? They refused aggresive marketing and now look - they have 2%. Novell was a better network OS than Microsoft but microsoft were better at marketing.

By the way. Symbian OS on smartphones is dreadfull. I bought 40 E51's and I think I replaced every one for one reason or another. My phone still loses the icons and I have to perform a BRS reset.
Old 27 October 2009, 12:12 AM   #51
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
I got this Ultimate Full version from a friend for $150...I installed it already and im loving it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[1] (2).jpg (155.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 27 October 2009, 12:21 AM   #52
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
I've put my order in to upgrade all my pc's to 7, not in any rush as yet need to get the time, still running the last RC on a laptop and desktop :-) having too much fun playing around with Snow Leopard on the Mac's, finally did the upgrade and loving it, I'm sure I'll have no issues with 7 on the pc's and have one copy coming to run under fusion

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 03:04 AM   #53
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
By the way. Symbian OS on smartphones is dreadfull. I bought 40 E51's and I think I replaced every one for one reason or another. My phone still loses the icons and I have to perform a BRS reset.
I don't argue that it's dreadful. In fact, that was my point. It's dreadful, yet it dominates market share (largely due to its early market share grab). Even though there are countless amazing mobile OSes out there - WebOS, Android, OSX X (iPhone) - Symbian is still predicted to dominate for several more years.

This is from a recently released Gartner study predicting the SmartPhone landscape in 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gartnerpiechart.JPG (24.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Gartnershare.JPG (27.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 27 October 2009, 04:56 AM   #54
rbox
"TRF" Member

We have XP on 2 laptops, a desktop and a fileserver at home. I can't think of anything that I would currently want to do that XP can't do.

I dealt with Vista a little at work and it was a joke. We ended up wiping Vista off all our new machines and installing copies of XP we ordered from newegg.

I have yet to see Windows 7 in person but we are really in no hurry. XP is clean, fast and reliable.
rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 06:16 AM   #55
miked
"TRF" Member

Watch: speedy, po,rlx gmt
Check out the window 7 Burger, sold at BK in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcnpi_gM2Oc
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 09:27 AM   #56
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
We have XP on 2 laptops, a desktop and a fileserver at home. I can't think of anything that I would currently want to do that XP can't do.

I dealt with Vista a little at work and it was a joke. We ended up wiping Vista off all our new machines and installing copies of XP we ordered from newegg.

I have yet to see Windows 7 in person but we are really in no hurry. XP is clean, fast and reliable.
If you require a 64 bit memory space, Win 7 is way better than XP 64 and will have far better support moving forward in terms of drivers, etc...

It's also far superior in how it handles and performs with SSDs. It all boils down to need - if you're a light user, then a lot of old OSes will work.
Old 27 October 2009, 09:58 AM   #57
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Check out the window 7 Burger, sold at BK in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcnpi_gM2Oc
That looks good! Though, unlike McDonalds, Burger King Japan isn't vastly superior to its North American counterpart.

Tastes exactly the same, actually. Which is kind of depressing.
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 10:29 AM   #58
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
I got this Ultimate Full version from a friend for $150...I installed it already and im loving it...
I think I might give it a go as well....From what I've seen ,it looks good!!!
A good price you got Oscar.......

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 10:30 AM   #59
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you require a 64 bit memory space, Win 7 is way better than XP 64 and will have far better support moving forward in terms of drivers, etc...

It's also far superior in how it handles and performs with SSDs. It all boils down to need - if you're a light user, then a lot of old OSes will work.
Yeah that's the thing. My wife and I both are light/business users. We only moved up to XP from 2000 a few years ago. hehe
rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 11:13 AM   #60
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperboy View Post
Sorry, Im An Apple Guy........Love My iMac, And Airbook Lap Top!
This house has been "PC Free since 2003" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I agree, Windows 7 is a very good product. I've been using it for about a month with no problems at all.
Its justa matter of time !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote