The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 January 2022, 10:47 AM   #31
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalctr View Post
Man my SA won't even quote me a timeframe for any pieces I request. It's always "no promises".

Can't wait to the day when SAs have watches to sell in display and actually have to work to make a sale. Waiting for the moment I can tell them that they need to build a relationship with me while I shop around brands.
That day will be when your watch looses value the moment you walk out of their shop - just like a new car you feel you've done well to get a $5K discount. If you're a true watch lover - that won't be a problem at all.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 10:50 AM   #32
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalctr View Post
Man my SA won't even quote me a timeframe for any pieces I request. It's always "no promises".

Can't wait to the day when SAs have watches to sell in display and actually have to work to make a sale. Waiting for the moment I can tell them that they need to build a relationship with me while I shop around brands.

You live in a large tech centric city, it’s going to be a while before a change comes. Too many young guys and gals with money to spend. I would try to shop with ADs outside of the bay.

I’m with you though, it’s a strange thing people begging to spend 10k+ feeling like you have to build a relationship before someone will take your money.

I’ve had 0 success with local ADs, and found that the Rolex boutique i work with has been awesome. They have nothing to sell outside of Rolex so there are no games. I’ve been able to get what i want essentially immediately, but i feel like even if i didn’t know someone i could get a realistic timeline on pieces from a boutique. They still have their top spenders but those buyers don’t need 20 submariners, or DJs. So i feel like there are realistic opportunities for normal buyers.

Unlike the normal ADs that sell jewelry, their highest margin item. Those ADs are going to feed the hands that feed them. Those are going to be folks buying jewelry and diamonds.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 10:50 AM   #33
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I've seen people mention that they have 'ordered' a watch. It shows up a couple months later. Posts on this forum, multiple Youtube videos - and those videos show people trying on scores of different models.

Is this even possible? I'm starting to get disillusioned after 5 years of "stopping by" ADs. The sales reps will mumble "might take 6 months to get that in, we'll let you know...." By now I know that must be standard training which really means "Don't bother showing up without a briefcase full of cash...."

Anyway, those of you who have placed an order, is there a deposit taken or is it payment in full? Thanks.
It was a ladies watch that I was able to special order in Spring / Early Summer 2021. I called my AD and placed the order. A few months later, when it arrived, I gave my credit card info. Next day watch was shipped.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 01:06 PM   #34
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've seen people mention that they have 'ordered' a watch. It shows up a couple months later. Posts on this forum, multiple Youtube videos - and those videos show people trying on scores of different models.

Is this even possible? I'm starting to get disillusioned after 5 years of "stopping by" ADs. The sales reps will mumble "might take 6 months to get that in, we'll let you know...." By now I know that must be standard training which really means "Don't bother showing up without a briefcase full of cash...."

Anyway, those of you who have placed an order, is there a deposit taken or is it payment in full? Thanks.
here is my journey - long story short - it really helped and changed when I started inquiring about PM Rolex this year and never mentioned SS hot models. all of a sudden they appeared without asking for it.

ordered DD40 olive dial in RG in feb 2021, received Dec. 2021. been stopping by and chatting with SA all year once a month. 2 weeks prior got offered SS skydweller white dial and bought it but came out of nowhere and never ordered it. no prior purchase history with this AD. I think I just got lucky and hit it off with AD/ saleslady. now waiting on PP 6119 and maybe a RG daytona on bracelet or oysterflex.

another example, just bought cartier skeleton and was promised batman or pepsi this year. we shall see. this cartier is from another AD with no purchase history.

3rd AD got an explorer 2 polar dial (came out of vault after inquiring about PM rolex) and two tone skydweller (just prio to xmas) last year. no other purchases but been checking in with this local AD for years.

bad story 4th AD (build relationship for years): bought RG grand seiko & moon watch omega in 2018 and never got anything else I wanted from this AD - they been stringing me along and wanting me to buy jewelry .

5th AD westime in Vegas: bought ROO AP and never delivered on their promise for a 15500 just BS all along - had to contact corporate AP to make it right.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 02:02 PM   #35
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Bought a DJ36 in September of 2019, “ordered” an EXP II at that time and it arrived that November. Bought two wedding rings and a pre-owned Panerai during 2021. Last month I “ordered” an Explorer 36, SA said 2-6 months. No deposits. I’ll let you know.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 02:07 PM   #36
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.06.15 PM.jpg (60.2 KB, 256 views)
Old 6 January 2022, 07:38 PM   #37
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
Quote:

I look at the catelogue and say I will have that one.
If you can’t get it too me within two weeks don’t bother with the order.
tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 08:01 PM   #38
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
The AD doesn’t seem like the people to buy watches from any more . They mainly just supply grey dealers right?

Seems no shortage of watches with grey dealers.

I hope I live long enough to see a time when Rolex and it’s Authorised Dealers have to once again try to sell their watches to people who will wear them .
sorry but thats BS - they do not supply grey dealers at least in the UK

the grey market in the UK is fuelled by people who buy watches and then flip them
lava flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 08:04 PM   #39
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
No evidence for this - just need to build the relationship and you'll get the watches in increasing desirability. DJ first.......

thanks

so very true - poster just another disgruntled punter who expects to walk in off the street and buy a Daytona at RRP, lol
Old 6 January 2022, 08:06 PM   #40
lava flow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudk View Post
so how many Rolex models has that approach given you?

i will tell you - NONE
Old 6 January 2022, 08:47 PM   #41
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Only the biggest VIP can place order for watches they want; for the rest, the least desirable watches can be ordered.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 09:59 PM   #42
NLM
"TRF" Member

Watch: See Avatar
Walked into AD in 2019 with the intention of ordering a watch that we had spoken on the phone about for the past 2 months. Walked out of the AD with 3 watches (2 from the back room) and one from display.

Original watch was ordered.
NLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 10:05 PM   #43
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lava flow View Post
thanks

so very true - poster just another disgruntled punter who expects to walk in off the street and buy a Daytona at RRP, lol
Actually no. I don’t really like the Daytona. Only modern rolex I’ve ever bought I walked in off the street and bought the watch I liked most at RRP
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 10:07 PM   #44
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

But remind me again could I walk in off the street and buy a Daytona at RRP?
No?

So if I wanted one I would have to go to a grey dealer and buy a new one at a much higher price?

A price higher than Rolex themselves value their own product at ?
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:21 AM   #45
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Have you bought anything from them during those five years?
Yes, several diamond jewelry pieces and a used DJ 36
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:57 AM   #46
Mags01
"TRF" Member

I placed an order for my OP34 in July 2020, paid 1000 Eur deposit. Was told 6 months wait, but it arrived in August. Last Monday I went to see my AD again and placed and order for a DJ36, again paid 1000 deposit. Was told it will probably arrive in June, we'll see.
Mags01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 03:04 AM   #47
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
Try this, it supposedly worked for others…
This is true! I've heard about multiple success stories with those particular delicious and addicting treats!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 03:25 AM   #48
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudk View Post

I wouldn’t bother wasting the time to drive there . They won’t be bothering with your order.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:59 PM   #49
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Lol I clicked on this thread hoping someone beat me to this!
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 11:34 AM   #50
ademarco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I bought a Tudor GMT and then expressed interest in the Tudor Chrono where they made me pay for the watch up front. It was around 4-5 months and still no watch. The SA said what other watch would you be interested in since they don’t have an ETA when the chrono would arrive. I told her I’m interested in a submariner and she said they will call me when either one arrives.

A few weeks later I cancelled my Tudor Chrono order and then a few months later got a call they had a submariner in and asked if I was still interested. I said I was still interested and she asked if the watch was for me, which I reiterated it was for me and only me. The SA said I needed to schedule a time when I’d arrive and I picked it up the next day.

When she brought the watch out, she asked if I was surprised and I said yes since other customers came into the store and asked about the “display” models and she told them they don’t have any watches available for them and they had no availability. It is hit or miss with the ADs, but guess I lucked out. The odd thing is they made me pay in full for the Tudor, but no deposit for the Rolex.
ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote