The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 October 2012, 01:57 PM   #31
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Your employer decides the maximum match, if any. You are limited to $17,500 in contributions for 2013
And f you're over 50 you can add another $5,500 to that for the "catch up" allowance. And that amount may be adjusted upward for 2013 to $6,000.
All in all, that's a very nice deduction, if you can afford it.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 12:56 AM   #32
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I usually "max out" on my 401K, to reduce my taxable income for the year.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 12:58 AM   #33
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I have been doing up to my company matching. I guess if you can't beat the return of your portfolio on your own (considering the tax benefit) then it is worth it to go up to your max.
Old 29 October 2012, 02:26 AM   #34
Jadam
"TRF" Member

generally avoid placing any funds in the company stock fund and you may also want to calculate the tax savings off set with the pre tax contribution if you are unable to save the max contribution. also to consider is that tax rates right now may be the lowest we will see versus those in the future due to national debt which may make the roth a better choice than traditional pre tax depending on age and bracket and investment window
Jadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 04:37 AM   #35
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towernick View Post
Hey guys and gals,

My company matches 6% so I contribute 6%. For those of you who work for a company that matches, do you contribute up to the match or more? Any reasoning on why you go one way or another?
Yes, you always want to contribute up to the match. Wife's non-profit does 3%. But dig this.

They kick in a benifit bonus of 3% to use any way you want. So they will give you your 3% contribution and match it with their 3%. And she does another 4% out of her check. If the company plan was her primary retirement plan, we'd be maxing the plan, though.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 03:25 AM   #36
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG Rolex
My employer matches up to 6%, then fifty cents on the dollar at 7% and 8%.

I use my year end performance bonus to take me to the max limit if I have not yet reached it.
gulfstream69xr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 04:12 AM   #37
Bulldurham08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Our plan had a way to "borrow" your own money and then pay yourself back (with modest interest). That way you could get your Sub and keep all the money as you pay it back into the 401k (including the interest).
Hm, that sounds interested. I suppose I'll have to take a look at my options! Thanks for the heads up!
Bulldurham08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 12:32 PM   #38
Mike_Templar
"TRF" Member

I have to say, I am afraid to contribute to the 401k.
I believe it will be confiscated from us. Either outright, or by means testing you out of other entitlements or benefits. Someone is going to have to buy the treasuries when they finally stop printing (which they won't - which will lead to dollar collapse). I believe Obama's SOTU speech where the "MyIRA" was introduced was the first shot across the bow of forcing everyone's retirement accounts into treasuries. The plan, as I have researched it, shows for everyone to put 5% into treasuries. Other IRA/Roth/401 will be limited to 5k per year and a portion will be forced into treasuries. I think the 401k has had it's day. The government is just too broke to keep it's hand out of them. I hope you diligent savers don't get Argentina'd or Cypressed.
Mike_Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 01:01 PM   #39
salty_snack

With the exception of 401k retirement savings being taken by the government it's the best way for an " uninterested" investor to save. With a more hands on and involved approach an active investor will do better outside of the limited choices in a 401k which will negate any tax loses from a taxable account.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 01:24 PM   #40
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Best practice is to max out the company contribution. Above that one should consider potential return of other options as well.
Old 7 February 2014, 01:28 PM   #41
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
No company match.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 01:36 PM   #42
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Company match equals free money.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 02:34 PM   #43
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
The company I work for matches 5%. I put in 20%. Max. it
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 02:44 PM   #44
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You should always match the company match limit. As mentioned, that is free money and the same as a 6% annual raise if that is what they give.

As to investing more, depends on how your IRA is arranged and it's return, but again, the tax deferment is a free "discount" on your taxes and if managed properly can give annual dividends and interest that is again, free money..
Old 7 February 2014, 02:56 PM   #45
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Templar View Post
I have to say, I am afraid to contribute to the 401k.
I believe it will be confiscated from us. Either outright, or by means testing you out of other entitlements or benefits. Someone is going to have to buy the treasuries when they finally stop printing (which they won't - which will lead to dollar collapse). I believe Obama's SOTU speech where the "MyIRA" was introduced was the first shot across the bow of forcing everyone's retirement accounts into treasuries. The plan, as I have researched it, shows for everyone to put 5% into treasuries. Other IRA/Roth/401 will be limited to 5k per year and a portion will be forced into treasuries. I think the 401k has had it's day. The government is just too broke to keep it's hand out of them. I hope you diligent savers don't get Argentina'd or Cypressed.
Is this a political statement?

A 401k is a company sponsored (and partially funded) personal retirement account. YOU choose the fund that your money is invested in. There isn't much difference between a 401 and an IRA is that respect. Or you just put cash under your mattress?
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2014, 06:30 PM   #46
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
I forget what my company matches.. somewhere between 3 and 6 percent. I put in 10 percent.
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 02:26 AM   #47
ciscopro2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I am going to reiterate what everyone has said. Always contribute at least up you what your company matches. You get an immediate 100% return. Plus, you are reducing your taxable income. Contribute more if you can. I try to max out as much as I am allowed. I have 401k, Roth IRA, and 529 accounts for my kids college. You will be amazed how fast your account grows. Cheers!
ciscopro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 03:52 AM   #48
mgent
"TRF" Member

My company contributes a fixed 5% as long as I do 2 or 3%, but I do my max each year... options/restricted stock (with active DRIPs) all go to retirement as well...
mgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 04:01 AM   #49
jpl20
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB TT BLUE 16613
I used to, but stopped right before the recession.......a bird in the hand....& lost less.
jpl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 04:48 AM   #50
nch209
"TRF" Member

Make sure you get the match! I'm shocked how many folks at my work don't! More you save the better. Roth, 401k, whatever---- save save save is the name of the game!

One person was telling me how our work 401k was bad and why they don't put any $$$ in it--- they withdrew from it---- so the next day I asked them for $5, they handed it to me, and I gave them a $10 bill back. They were confused and said I was dumb for doing that---- I said you would be dumber to NOT do it! Hint hint.... They caught my drift I hope!
Old 8 February 2014, 04:52 AM   #51
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
My company matches up to 6% and I contribute 10%. Automatically take out 10% additional for savings each pay period and put a set amount in the ROTH. It is free money, take it!
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 05:02 AM   #52
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I pay about 25% on top of my workers salary on their pension plan, they contribute with around 5% of their pay.

Same for all businesses.

Great for the worker, a lot of lost Rolex's for me.
Old 8 February 2014, 07:50 AM   #53
jcd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me vector
I max mine, my wife maxes hers plus we save save save for college for my 2 kids. My parents covered my college, I'd like to try and do the same for my kids.

All that saving hopefully will mean an early retirement for me! We do try to live a little modestly at this point in our lives without being ridiculously frugal. Sure, I have a decent car and nice watch, but we live in a modest home in the country that I'll have payed off before I'm 45.

Now, hopefully I don't get hit by a bus before I retire so I can enjoy those savings!
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 08:41 AM   #54
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
One subtle point on 401k matching--some employers have a "make up contribution" that they will post to your account after the calendar year ends, because the employee saved "too quickly" in hitting their 401K match limit, leaving money on the table. My employer does this (thankfully).

Point is, to maximize your match, assuming you put in the full $17K annually, try to set it such that your last contributions to hit the $17K limit are in December. Remember, if a pay period has no 401K contribution from you, you get no match from your employer.

In my case, the true up every year amounts to another $2K or so contributed from the employer match.

Didn't see that posted in this thread, and thought it worth a mention if you weren't aware of this for those who max out their 401K contribution limits.
Old 8 February 2014, 09:20 AM   #55
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

I contribute $17,500, employer matches 5% of income, gives everyone 3% no matter what, and we have a "guaranteed profit sharing" of 5% that also goes in 401k.

They contribut 13% into 401k. I should be OK at retirement, but I suppose it could go either way? I have 20-25 years to go.
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 12:16 PM   #56
ciscopro2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
One subtle point on 401k matching--some employers have a "make up contribution" that they will post to your account after the calendar year ends, because the employee saved "too quickly" in hitting their 401K match limit, leaving money on the table. My employer does this (thankfully).

Point is, to maximize your match, assuming you put in the full $17K annually, try to set it such that your last contributions to hit the $17K limit are in December. Remember, if a pay period has no 401K contribution from you, you get no match from your employer.

In my case, the true up every year amounts to another $2K or so contributed from the employer match.

Didn't see that posted in this thread, and thought it worth a mention if you weren't aware of this for those who max out their 401K contribution limits.
Yup, this is a very good point. I learned this years ago when I started investing in 401K. But if you are going to max out ($17,500 for 2014), make sure you calculate it so that your last paycheck in December still goes into your 401K. You only get a matching when you contribute. If you reach the maximum too early, they will stop your contribution.
ciscopro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote