The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #31
RoloRonnie
"TRF" Member

Truly appreciate all of the replies guys! I mean it. It helps to think this stuff through sometimes.

Good point on maybe it’s the brand, not the watch. Problem is I love the brand! Ha ha. But that’s true if i show up with a “new” Rolex ... not sure that 2 are better than one if I’m wanting to be “under the radar.” Think I just need to enjoy the watch.

I actually love the 5 digit and 6 digit Subs. I have never really worn a 5 digit (tired one on briefly) so can’t really comment on the bracelet / fit as compared to the 6 digit, but love the classic look. Also really love the 16570. Like the new Explorer II as well, but I just don’t do orange. Still a cool looking watch. Also thanks for the suggestions on an Explorer I ... have that on the radar for down the road for sure.

This actually made me realize I think I’ve got the right now. I picked the SubC for a reason. Maybe add the Polar later. I had a Tag years ago, but I’m not really interested in any of the current offerings from Omega / Tudor. Smaller Pelagos might change that though!

Thanks TRF.

RoloRonnie
RoloRonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:57 AM   #32
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I have both references. The 114060 has received a few remarks over the years.

The 16570 has only been noticed by one guy and he was wearing the same watch.

I love both, but I will never part with my 114060.
Old 18 January 2019, 06:33 AM   #33
pikers
"TRF" Member

I'm lucky enough to have a 114060 and 16570 polar. If you can, get both.

The sub is super versatile and can easily be a person's only watch. It's looks just at home with a suit as it does a bathing suit. However, the maxi case and all of the "bling" (ceramic bezel, non-AR crystal, white gold indices/hands) on the new models make them very noticeable.

Personally, I don't think the polar is as versatile as the sub and I wouldn't want it to be my only watch. However, it is a fantastic watch that flies well under the radar. I've been in some shady places (both domestically and overseas) with the polar and I've never worried about it. I think this is due to its:
1. "Smaller' size. They say it's 40mm but I believe it's actually a tick under 40mm. Anyway, it wears great on smaller wrists and it looks much smaller than Rolex's current models.
2. White dial throws people. Most people just think Rolex makes black dial watches.
3. Steel bezel is a far departure from the sub's iconic black bezel.
4. Lack of bling. The bezel is brushed, the hands and indices are blacked out and I personally find that you don't get as much of a glare off of the crystal with a white dial.

If you throw it on a different strap (e.g. RubberB) it will REALLY fly under the radar.

Hope that helps.
pikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:13 AM   #34
regaltrojan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 et al
Stay with the 114060!
regaltrojan is offline   Reply With Quote