The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 June 2018, 04:16 AM   #31
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieKid View Post
Update:

Thanks everyone for all your comments

I have put down a deposit with my local AD for a white gold 1815 AC - looking forward to collecting it later in the year.

Will post an incoming thread once I get hold of this bad boy
Congratulations! The wait will be difficult but worth it.

One nice thing about the white gold and platinum Langes is that they work well with casual clothes. The rose and yellow gold versions like mine...not so much.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 07:39 AM   #32
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Congratulations! The wait will be difficult but worth it.

One nice thing about the white gold and platinum Langes is that they work well with casual clothes. The rose and yellow gold versions like mine...not so much.
I think it depends. If you wear brown dress shoes, brown belt with gold buckle, tan/light brown pants like khakis/chinos or even blue or dark jeans, with neutral (i.e. white/blue/grey/black) shirts/polo shirts, then a red gold watch with brown leather straps will fit right in.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 08:45 AM   #33
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Major congrats. I love the AC. Did you mention your wrist size, I have 1815 and agree it’s larger than some on here say. I’m 6.5. I don’t view it as pure dress so I’m ok with it, especially given how amazing the watch is. But many on here seem to discount the 1815 chrono as too small which I think they are robbing themselves of a stunner as it’s no small dainty piece. Congrats!
Thanks mate

I have a 6 inch wrist definitely one of the smaller wrist in this forum - my AD joked that I should stop running (losing too much weight) so I can wear "bigger" watches...
Old 3 June 2018, 08:50 AM   #34
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
Keep us posted. This will be an awesome watch. How long is the wait? I just received my Saxonia Thin 37mm and I absolutely love it. However, the > 2 month wait was painful. But I'm planning on the next piece. The hunt doesn't end...

And on that note...

I have the same size wrist, with round shape (not flat). It seems like my wrist and yours are the same.

Do you mind sharing us a picture of the watch on your wrist with the frame more zoomed out? I always thought the 1815 sat right on the cusp of my "OK" to "Maybe not OK" zone. The AD I frequent didn't have the 1815 Chronograph the last few months though.
Thanks

Should get the AC early September this year - looking forward to strapping it on!

Congrats on your Saxonia Thin 37mm! Would you mind posting a pic on your wrist? - love that watch
Old 3 June 2018, 08:51 AM   #35
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleless Shoes View Post
Congrats on your decision! Love my 1815 as well.

Thanks! The 1815 family has a lot of great watches.
Old 3 June 2018, 11:19 AM   #36
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks

Should get the AC early September this year - looking forward to strapping it on!

Congrats on your Saxonia Thin 37mm! Would you mind posting a pic on your wrist? - love that watch
Ask and you shall receive. I'm kidding. I legitimately love it. I was afraid the dial might've turned out to be too sterile and boring, but there's so much depth to the watch in person and in different settings, especially with different lighting. I find myself just staring at the dial throughout the day. This little giant will be my gateway into something dangerous...

September can't come soon enough, I only had to wait a little over 2 months, but that felt like an eternity... So good luck with your wait. I'm sure it'll be worth it. I just checked out the rose gold version of the 1815 Annual Calendar today. Beautiful watch.
Old 3 June 2018, 06:23 PM   #37
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive. I'm kidding. I legitimately love it. I was afraid the dial might've turned out to be too sterile and boring, but there's so much depth to the watch in person and in different settings, especially with different lighting. I find myself just staring at the dial throughout the day. This little giant will be my gateway into something dangerous...

September can't come soon enough, I only had to wait a little over 2 months, but that felt like an eternity... So good luck with your wait. I'm sure it'll be worth it. I just checked out the rose gold version of the 1815 Annual Calendar today. Beautiful watch.
Looks great on your wrist and love the movement

I was looking for one earlier in the year but both WG and RG were already snapped up and new stock wouldn't be available till next year....so started looking at other models. Perhaps I will look for a RG one in the future...this is one crazy hobby with have here...hahahha
Old 4 June 2018, 03:02 AM   #38
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks great on your wrist and love the movement

I was looking for one earlier in the year but both WG and RG were already snapped up and new stock wouldn't be available till next year....so started looking at other models. Perhaps I will look for a RG one in the future...this is one crazy hobby with have here...hahahha
It's a great watch. I don't think any pictures online really shows how elegant the watch is.

And yes, our crazy hobby (i.e. affliction/obsession) will probably be the end of us. I'm trying to think of the next piece I'll get. The current short list for me includes:
  1. A. Lange & Sohne Langematik Big Date (White Gold, Black Dial), however it's discontinued so I have to go pre-owned market here
  2. A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1 (Rose Gold)
  3. Patek Philippe 5119R

But as always, the list changes as time goes on. 1815 Chronograph and 1815 Annual Calendar are looking mighty fine because of this thread, too...
Old 4 June 2018, 09:35 AM   #39
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

I think a rose gold piece as your next one would really compliment your Saxonia Thin

If you don't have a Patek, the 5119r is a nice watch to owe. I like that it fits nicely under the cuff and has that classic old world look. Definitely something i would rock with a suit or tux. Only thing is the movement is tiny compared to the case which is not an issue for Lange pieces.

Happy hunting
Old 4 June 2018, 09:43 AM   #40
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
All Lange watches are perfect. Congratulations on your choice of 1815 family! I am partial to these myself. A watch you will cherish for years and years, I'm sure.
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 10:28 AM   #41
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think a rose gold piece as your next one would really compliment your Saxonia Thin

If you don't have a Patek, the 5119r is a nice watch to owe. I like that it fits nicely under the cuff and has that classic old world look. Definitely something i would rock with a suit or tux. Only thing is the movement is tiny compared to the case which is not an issue for Lange pieces.

Happy hunting
Thanks! I am trying to slow down this hobby for a while since I went nuts this year in a short amount of time. But rose gold is definitely on the list.

However, the Langematik Big Date keeps calling me. Just knowing Walter Lange wore that every day as his chosen time piece, despite being able to choose any time piece A. Lange & Sohne makes, is quite cool. Plus, the white gold case and black dial makes it a strong candidate for a casual daily wearer for me. It won't stand out to people and the big date button will definitely be useful during boring moments of my life.

But rose gold continues to draw me in...

Conclusion: This is a dangerous hobby we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busytimmy View Post
All Lange watches are perfect. Congratulations on your choice of 1815 family! I am partial to these myself. A watch you will cherish for years and years, I'm sure.
They really are. The more I look at more of them, I just want them all. I need to win the lottery or something.
Old 4 June 2018, 10:30 AM   #42
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! I am trying to slow down this hobby for a while since I went nuts this year in a short amount of time. But rose gold is definitely on the list.

However, the Langematik Big Date keeps calling me. Just knowing Walter Lange wore that every day as his chosen time piece, despite being able to choose any time piece A. Lange & Sohne makes, is quite cool. Plus, the white gold case and black dial makes it a strong candidate for a casual daily wearer for me. It won't stand out to people and the big date button will definitely be useful during boring moments of my life.

But rose gold is also calling me...

Conclusion: This is a dangerous hobby we have.

They really are. The more I look at more of them, I just want them all. I need to win the lottery or something.

Agreed. I want a Lange 1 at some stage and a Zeitwerk. Owning this one has really made me just want more Langes in future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 4 June 2018, 10:54 AM   #43
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. I want a Lange 1 at some stage and a Zeitwerk. Owning this one has really made me just want more Langes in future

That's a super nice watch. It looks great on your wrist. Is that your daily wearer?

I finally saw it in the flesh while waiting for my Saxonia Thin to arrive. I had doubts after seeing the 1815 Up/Down (both WG and RG). But I'm glad I waited, as awesome as the 1815 Up/Down is, I'm truly impressed by the Saxonia Thin's applied batons and how classic the watch looks.

That just means something else from the 1815 line up must enter my collection later, whether it's the 1815 Chronograph or the Annual Calendar...

Yep, dangerous hobby...
Old 4 June 2018, 10:57 AM   #44
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a super nice watch. It looks great on your wrist. Is that your daily wearer?

I finally saw it in the flesh while waiting for my Saxonia Thin to arrive. I had doubts after seeing the 1815 Up/Down (both WG and RG). But I'm glad I waited, as awesome as the 1815 Up/Down is, I'm truly impressed by the Saxonia Thin's applied batons and how classic the watch looks.

That just means something else from the 1815 line up must enter my collection later, whether it's the 1815 Chronograph or the Annual Calendar...

Yep, dangerous hobby...

Thank you sir. It is my daily pretty much, but does get rotated with my JLC Reverso from time to time. I love the arabics on this dial, and in general I feel the 1815 is a little more casual making it incredibly versatile.

Old 4 June 2018, 11:42 AM   #45
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you sir. It is my daily pretty much, but does get rotated with my JLC Reverso from time to time. I love the arabics on this dial, and in general I feel the 1815 is a little more casual making it incredibly versatile.

Those are exactly the reasons why the 1815 stood out to me, the 1815 Up/Down has the power reserve which makes it even more useful.

So you've got a great watch that I hope you'll keep and cherish for many years to come, if not your entire lifetime.

The JLC Reverso is also on my list, but I haven't decided what I would want engraved on the reversed side yet. So it's currently pending on my wishlist...
Old 4 June 2018, 11:57 AM   #46
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are exactly the reasons why the 1815 stood out to me, the 1815 Up/Down has the power reserve which makes it even more useful.

So you've got a great watch that I hope you'll keep and cherish for many years to come, if not your entire lifetime.

The JLC Reverso is also on my list, but I haven't decided what I would want engraved on the reversed side yet. So it's currently pending on my wishlist...

Cheers

I can heartily recommend the Grande Taille. No longer made, but perfect in proportions!

Old 4 June 2018, 01:25 PM   #47
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers

I can heartily recommend the Grande Taille. No longer made, but perfect in proportions!

Looking good

The reverso duoface is on my hit list
Old 10 June 2018, 03:36 AM   #48
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it depends. If you wear brown dress shoes, brown belt with gold buckle, tan/light brown pants like khakis/chinos or even blue or dark jeans, with neutral (i.e. white/blue/grey/black) shirts/polo shirts, then a red gold watch with brown leather straps will fit right in.
That's true. Gold on a brown strap is pretty versatile and can be worn with browns, blues, and greys. I haven't yet dared to wear them with a polo shirt, but they do get worn a lot with dress shirts, oxfords, khakis, and sometimes nice jeans. Still, the gold stands out a bit more than a white metal but now that gold colored watches are back in fashion, it might not be as noticeable to the average person. I've actually had people off the street ask me in the last year if my 5119J, 1815, and Traditionnelle Small Seconds are Daniel Wellingtons!
Old 10 June 2018, 09:30 AM   #49
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
That's true. Gold on a brown strap is pretty versatile and can be worn with browns, blues, and greys. I haven't yet dared to wear them with a polo shirt, but they do get worn a lot with dress shirts, oxfords, khakis, and sometimes nice jeans. Still, the gold stands out a bit more than a white metal but now that gold colored watches are back in fashion, it might not be as noticeable to the average person. I've actually had people off the street ask me in the last year if my 5119J, 1815, and Traditionnelle Small Seconds are Daniel Wellingtons!
If I had a rose gold or yellow gold watch, I wouldn't be afraid of wearing them even with t-shirts and shorts or polo shirts (which I exclusively during my afterwork hours). So you can rock them no problem. And hey, at least people compliment your watches. No one really compliments any watches nowadays. I think my Swatch Sistem51 in white easily gets the most compliments, more than the lifetime I've had of any other watch.
Old 27 October 2018, 06:26 AM   #50
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks

came across this thread as I've been checking out the 1815 AC myself and really really digging it--such a beautiful dial IMO. did yours come in on schedule?
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 09:41 AM   #51
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
came across this thread as I've been checking out the 1815 AC myself and really really digging it--such a beautiful dial IMO. did yours come in on schedule?
Looking like early December at this stage...the wait is unbearable

But definitely will post some pics once it arrives - stay tune
Old 27 October 2018, 11:06 AM   #52
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looking like early December at this stage...the wait is unbearable

But definitely will post some pics once it arrives - stay tune

looking forward to it! worried I might be a little bit falling for this one. a few pics from a recent visit to the lange boutique to keep you going... and would love to know if you think it’s a good fit on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 05:22 PM   #53
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
looking forward to it! worried I might be a little bit falling for this one. a few pics from a recent visit to the lange boutique to keep you going... and would love to know if you think it’s a good fit on me!

Looking good

It fits your wrist really well, you should go for it
Old 28 October 2018, 05:51 PM   #54
Rolexwatch12
"TRF" Member

The Saxonia Moonphase is a good choice also considering the fact that the both watch have a lot similarities, For a watch to be Automatic is also a special feature and a good reason to purchase it
Rolexwatch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 04:57 AM   #55
rlrobson08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I had a rose gold or yellow gold watch, I wouldn't be afraid of wearing them even with t-shirts and shorts or polo shirts (which I exclusively during my afterwork hours). So you can rock them no problem. And hey, at least people compliment your watches. No one really compliments any watches nowadays. I think my Swatch Sistem51 in white easily gets the most compliments, more than the lifetime I've had of any other watch.
Sorry, but gold has never been out of fashion. Biblical to today, gold is top drawer. I like you get up everyday and behold their is a market for gold, copper, aluminum etcetera, etcetera. But I don't see anywhere a market for stainless steel? I do not care if it is Rolex 904 bah bah something; a pound of pennies is worth more than all the stainless in a Rolex whatever. Stainless simply is more affordable. With gold at astronomical high prices an18K gold mark means it is exactly 75% pure gold and 25% other alloys. A Rolex president day/date manufactured in the 80's had exactly four ounces of gold within the watch. One was familiar with this information which, drove the price on the used market of this watch. There is and always will be a market for gold. I like gold, yellow and rose. I like the stainless and yellow or rose gold combinations. Why don't I get all gold? Price my friend, price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rlrobson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 12:08 PM   #56
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think it looks good. The 1815 Annual Calendar has slightly shorter lugs than the 1815 Chronograph so the overall dimensions of the watch are smaller, which helps when you don't have large wrists.