The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 January 2020, 07:15 AM   #31
brian628
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Don't understand RM. Sorry. G Shock for billionaires.
lol

BRILLIANT!
brian628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:15 AM   #32
CountryRoads
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
The Richard Mille is going age like a bad tattoo.
hahahahahaha.... plus 1
CountryRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #33
brian628
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
hahahahahaha.... plus 1
You all are slaying me!

Where is The Richard M Love?!
lol
Old 1 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #34
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I would fully support the move. As most know, I am a huge RM fan. I will tell you that the 60-1 wears very very big. It is a very tall watch, despite the curvature of the under case. It is also not a watch that holds value. So be sure to buy at a discount.

Personally, I would be looking at a more mainstream RM as your first piece. I do expect the round pieces to become more popular over the next two years with the recent announcement and some others coming, but I think you'd fare better with a 11/11-03/35/55 instead.

I am happy to help answer any and all RM questions, just PM me. Also- once you go to RM, it is really really hard to go back to anything else.
Old 1 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #35
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
If you want the RM look, check out the AP concepts. Much slicker execution in my book.
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #36
mrcsatx
"TRF" Member

Option 3 all the way. The Ice Blue is amazing in person. Heavy on the wrist but can't take your eyes off it. Will definitely stand the test of time as a classic. Nothing against RM but definitely not classic in my opinion.

That being said the RM would definitely give your collection a very different flavor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mrcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:23 AM   #37
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Don't understand RM. Sorry. G Shock for billionaires.
Kind of feel the same way, especially with this particular reference. A watch with a compass shouldn’t cost $100K+. There’s a G-Shock for that.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:54 AM   #38
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I don’t know man

I wouldn’t let go of that Patek for anything

That’s one of my favorite watches
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:57 AM   #39
kypt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
How about you send me the platinum Daytona and don't buy the RM. That way, you'll lose the same amount of money as if you HAD bought it, and you won't have to wear that RM...ever.

Seriously though, just buy what you like and what makes you happy.
kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:02 AM   #40
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
The Richard Mille is going age like a bad tattoo.
Very nice but way too trendy. Rolex is timeless.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:02 AM   #41
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I would fully support the move. As most know, I am a huge RM fan. I will tell you that the 60-1 wears very very big. It is a very tall watch, despite the curvature of the under case. It is also not a watch that holds value. So be sure to buy at a discount.

Personally, I would be looking at a more mainstream RM as your first piece. I do expect the round pieces to become more popular over the next two years with the recent announcement and some others coming, but I think you'd fare better with a 11/11-03/35/55 instead.

I am happy to help answer any and all RM questions, just PM me. Also- once you go to RM, it is really really hard to go back to anything else.

Very cool move, this is what makes TRF great! Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #42
Dlong
Banned

I think the OP started celebrating already and is bombed. He’ll come to his senses tomorrow. Hopefully.
Old 1 January 2020, 08:13 AM   #43
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
OP we have different tastes. But the bottom line is that you should only collect what you want. So, I applaud your moving on.

I do have one question. If you want something truly different and unique and stunning...

Have you thought of truly vintage high end? You would have to consolidate, but there are some stunning pieces.
Old 1 January 2020, 08:15 AM   #44
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Marketing...so glad I made it my career. Money for nothing, too bad the chicks weren't (completely) free...

For a watch, that piece makes a great marketing campaign.

I wonder how many houses, or islands for that matter, Mr. Mille has?

I'm going to bet...plenty.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #45
logo
"TRF" Member

Not interested in RM. For a similar style I much prefer AP concept or Roger Dubuis Excalibur skeleton - both much classier in my view, more intricate and probably more “timeless” if that’s even possible for these modern concept styles. Frankly, I’d just do an AP royal oak skeleton and have a classic watch with a beautiful exposed movement.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #46
brian628
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlong View Post
I think the OP started celebrating already and is bombed. He’ll come to his senses tomorrow. Hopefully.
Do I need to be saved from myself?!
Old 1 January 2020, 08:39 AM   #47
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I think the RM is really nice. There are new ones coming out... over the next 6 months FYi. So don’t blow ur wad just yet.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:42 AM   #48
brian628
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Not interested in RM. For a similar style I much prefer AP concept or Roger Dubuis Excalibur skeleton - both much classier in my view, more intricate and probably more “timeless” if that’s even possible for these modern concept styles. Frankly, I’d just do an AP royal oak skeleton and have a classic watch with a beautiful exposed movement.
Yes - and I get that!

But in the end, I'll still have THREE timeless rolex classics (maybe two and a half, because of the mod - LOL), AND a crazy Richard Mille.

I love classic elegance, but let's have some fun too!
And to the point about marketing, doesn't Rolex do the same thing?

We assign "value" to what ever we want, don't we? 99.9% of the people I know think it is utterly ridiculous to spend more than $350 on a watch, let alone $3500, let alone $10k. All these watches are only as valuable as we make them.
Old 1 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #49
GregoryZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I'm not impressed with this RM. The dial is way too confusing for me.
GregoryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #50
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I am curious if anyone who really loves RM could explain the appeal. I get that they have a certain style that WIS can spot, and that they have eye watering price tags. As “collectibles,” they seem to have way too many varieties, even if they are produced in tiny numbers.

With that said, and half of it might be wrong, what drives the appeal for some of the rational, savvy, knowledgeable WIS on here?
Old 1 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #51
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t. I like some RM designs but not this particular one.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:55 AM   #52
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I am curious if anyone who really loves RM could explain the appeal. I get that they have a certain style that WIS can spot, and that they have eye watering price tags. As “collectibles,” they seem to have way too many varieties, even if they are produced in tiny numbers.

With that said, and half of it might be wrong, what drives the appeal for some of the rational, savvy, knowledgeable WIS on here?
i would assume its just because the dials are just like wearable art, but most of them are a bit too busy for my liking. guess its just the fact that they're unique and the hype+marketing just add on to it

i can get behind the RM055 tho for example
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:03 AM   #53
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Don’t listen to the crowd bashing the RM blindly because of brand loyalty. However, the naysayers who give a proper rationale bring up some excellent points.

Horologists who buy what they love for keeps will definitely be happier than the guys chasing the market all the time.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #54
leooooo
"TRF" Member

What a terrible plan. Dont.
Old 1 January 2020, 09:07 AM   #55
Dlong
Banned

Richard Mille = Thomas Kinkade
Old 1 January 2020, 09:09 AM   #56
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I have nothing against RM, but I've tried on that reference (maybe not that exact one but it was a round one and was 200,000) and it's maybe the ugliest watch I've ever seen. I was kind of on board with you until I saw which model it was.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:12 AM   #57
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

Happy to try to speak to this.

In my opinion there are quite a few things that appeal to me.

1) Straight up comfort and build quality. You hear people say all the time that you need to see the watch in the metal. These watches are incredible pieces of construction, in fact i've never handled anything comparable. The cases are unbelievably comfortable due to their curvature and they feel like a part of your wrist- an extension of your body. This is also complemented by the lightness of most materials.

2) Materials and durability. I love the fact that you can't scratch these things. You can wear them carelessly without concern or fear of damage. I find the combination of NTPT's strength and durability a major asset. In general scratches have always bothered me. With RM that's not even something you think about. The watch always looks new.

3) Versatility. These pieces can be worn for sport, dress, and casual. I know many will argue that other brands can do this too, but these watches are built for contact. They are rigorously tested to maintain an extreme standard for sport and are able to protect the movement in a manner that no other brand can.

4) Innovation. In both materials, movement, size, etc. They have accomplished quite a bit for such a young brand.

Finally is just exclusivity. The brand as a whole has 49,000 pieces total in circulation. That is an extremely small number of watches for the decade plus the brand has existed.

I totally understand that the esthetic of RM is not for everyone. At the same time, I encourage any WIS to at least give them a chance. Get your hands on one and spend some time with it. I suspect that your perspective will change towards the positive. It may not be enough for you to own one, but I suspect it will at least develop an appreciation and respect.

JPS
Old 1 January 2020, 09:15 AM   #58
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly, when I first saw one of the RM watches that a friend had and I looked up the price, I was completely at a loss for words. The Patek at the top of this thread is a way better step up in my opinion and I'm considering it. Nothing against the RM watches but still a shocking effect seeing the price for the first time.
Old 1 January 2020, 09:22 AM   #59
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I say if it makes you happy it’s the right move. I have never paid much attention to RM. mostly cuz it’s way out of my range. What i can say though is they make some interesting pieces and if that’s gonna get more wrist time on your wrist, then it’s the right move.

Happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:27 AM   #60
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
Happy to try to speak to this.

In my opinion there are quite a few things that appeal to me.

1) Straight up comfort and build quality. You hear people say all the time that you need to see the watch in the metal. These watches are incredible pieces of construction, in fact i've never handled anything comparable. The cases are unbelievably comfortable due to their curvature and they feel like a part of your wrist- an extension of your body. This is also complemented by the lightness of most materials.

2) Materials and durability. I love the fact that you can't scratch these things. You can wear them carelessly without concern or fear of damage. I find the combination of NTPT's strength and durability a major asset. In general scratches have always bothered me. With RM that's not even something you think about. The watch always looks new.

3) Versatility. These pieces can be worn for sport, dress, and casual. I know many will argue that other brands can do this too, but these watches are built for contact. They are rigorously tested to maintain an extreme standard for sport and are able to protect the movement in a manner that no other brand can.

4) Innovation. In both materials, movement, size, etc. They have accomplished quite a bit for such a young brand.

Finally is just exclusivity. The brand as a whole has 49,000 pieces total in circulation. That is an extremely small number of watches for the decade plus the brand has existed.

I totally understand that the esthetic of RM is not for everyone. At the same time, I encourage any WIS to at least give them a chance. Get your hands on one and spend some time with it. I suspect that your perspective will change towards the positive. It may not be enough for you to own one, but I suspect it will at least develop an appreciation and respect.

JPS
Very interesting and just what I was looking for. Thanks for the thoughtful response. We passed the RM boutique on Rodeo Drive a couple of years ago and I probably should have gone in, just to see one in person. Plus, I imagine I could have met Kevin Hart!