The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 June 2013, 03:59 PM   #31
Blue Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 116610LV
An AD by my house in north DFW has GS and GS Spring Drives in stock and I even tried some on the other day.

I used to owned a Spring Drive but this was my first time seeing Grand Seikos in person.

They were absolutely amazing in real life and I almost bought this one. Bad photos in bad lighting just don't do it justice.

Love this one! How much it?
Old 14 June 2013, 04:03 PM   #32
Blue Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
An AD by my house in north DFW has GS and GS Spring Drives in stock and I even tried some on the other day.

I used to owned a Spring Drive but this was my first time seeing Grand Seikos in person.

They were absolutely amazing in real life and I almost bought this one. Bad photos in bad lighting just don't do it justice.

Love this! How much it?
Old 14 June 2013, 05:41 PM   #33
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I love the Explorer, so that would be my choice.
Old 14 June 2013, 09:31 PM   #34
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

if this is your first luxury watch, by all means please get the Explorer.

always get a Rolex as your first taste of the luxury watches then only get a Grand Seiko if you started to fancy other stuff.

I bet when people can afford a luxury sport car the first one will come to mind is a Ferrari instead of MP4-12C
Old 14 June 2013, 10:00 PM   #35
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
I really like the Explorer and it for sure is in my consideration set for my next watch.

When I think of Seiko, I don't necessarily think quality, craftsmanship, history etc but that probably is due to me just getting into watches. At this point I just couldn't see myself spending Rolex $ on a Seiko.
Old 14 June 2013, 11:29 PM   #36
petenyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
explorer
Old 14 June 2013, 11:51 PM   #37
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
In this comparison - the Grand Seiko. I can not stand the short hands of the new ExpI. I would take an original EXPI over a GS but not the current stubby hand model.
Old 14 June 2013, 11:56 PM   #38
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I am in the same boat- EXP I vs. Grand Seiko- I had narrowed it down to the GMT with the leather strap (SBGM021). I'm getting the EXP I.

I thought about all the reasons for and against both.
EXP I Advantages:
- In my opinion, design is far, far superior to any GS
- Resale value probably better
- Don't have to launch into a 10 minute discussion with non-WIS about GS vs. Seiko and why spending Rolex money for a Seiko is not insanity. People get it.
- Rolex has more history- founded in 1905
- Better aftermarket service/dealers in the US- you have several RSCs, independent service options, ADs, TRF

EXP I Disadvantages
- More expensive
- More flashy, more of a status symbol
- Is it heritage? Or a massive marketing budget?
- The caseback, and I think this is with Rolex in general just looks dull. I mean even my seamaster has a cool caseback.
- Haven't seen a GS in the flesh, but most reviews say a GS is better built
- current 214270 isn't the classic that most people on the internet say it should be with the ill-proportions and short hands (not that I care, but could affect resale)

Grand Seiko advantages
- Cheaper
- Again, most people seem to say it is better built
- Exclusive- nobody will have one.
- LOVE the see through caseback- the first one I saw was on a Patek and it blew me away- I love that you can see the mechanicals.
- EXP I as a "fly under the radar watch?" You must be kidding. This is the daddy of understatement. The public will likely say, "Wow that's a nice watch! Is it a Rolex... oh it's a Seiko- where'd you get it? Target?"

Grand Seiko disadvantages
- Dealer network, repair centers are still limited in the US- I've never seen one in the flesh at any jeweler. Only one official service center in NJ and I've read that they basically ship it off to Japan (If I'm wrong, please correct me). Probably no where near as many independent repair shops
- I'd imagine resale value is not as good.
- Design is underwhelming, nothing really sings out to me.
- GS has been around since the 1960s? Still kinda young and lacks the heritage (or is it marketing $)
- Could be "too" under the radar with it's big Seiko logo.

Let's face it- nobody NEEDS to buy a watch costing several thousands of dollars. Get a Wal-Mart Timex. Done. I see these timepieces as jewelry.
Therefore, I place design above all else. So although I love the see through caseback on the Seiko, well that's about it in terms of design. The Rolex easily wins on design for me- I love it.

In terms of being discreet- the GS destroys the Rolex and this was one of the main reasons why I almost got a GS. It's a very nice looking watch but the "Seiko" on the face gives people that visceral reaction of "Oh, it's just a $100 Seiko.". It's the King of Understated. I like that. And I love that it is a left-field choice. These two things derailed my decision to get a EXP I for awhile. But as soon as I tried on the EXP I, I knew this was the one.

If I do get into watch collecting, that SBGM021 will be next.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:12 AM   #39
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40
Few pics (nothing extraordinary though)

When one tries a GS, easily understands why it is way better than the Explorer...

9R power reserve, titanium case, titanium alloy bracelet
bought in Tokyo (Yodobashi Akihabara store), December 2012, JYen 580,000

Old 15 June 2013, 12:22 AM   #40
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Architect View Post
When one tries a GS, easily understands why it is way better than the Explorer...

9R power reserve, titanium case, titanium alloy bracelet
bought in Tokyo (Yodobashi Akihabara store), December 2012, JYen 580,000

Love that GS! I was not aware they came in Ti.

Does it have that smooth, sweeping second hand as well??
Old 15 June 2013, 12:23 AM   #41
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Oooh yes it does...

My pics don't do justice of the dial and the watch in general.

The cream/champagne dial variant (I chose between the two) was even better, the blue hands and hour markers were showing off clearly matching the dial at the same tie.

Last edited by N_Architect; 15 June 2013 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Added text.
Old 15 June 2013, 12:39 AM   #42
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Architect View Post
Oooh yes it does...

My pics don't do justice of the dial and the watch in general.

The cream/champagne dial variant (I chose between the two) was even better, the blue hands and hour markers were showing off clearly matching the dial at the same tie.
What model number is yours please?
Old 15 June 2013, 12:52 AM   #43
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

9r65-0bg0

Last edited by N_Architect; 15 June 2013 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: Added picture
Old 15 June 2013, 12:56 AM   #44
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
The caseback, and I think this is with Rolex in general just looks dull. I mean even my seamaster has a cool caseback.
All good and fair comments except for this. Rolex make their watches to be worn. I love looking at the movements just as much as the next fanatic but when it's on your wrist (where it should be) you can't see the back anyway. I would rather the solid feel of a smooth case back that is thin yet durable over a thick glass or (possibly) uncomfortably engraved case back any day. The joy of seeing the movement will pass over the years and you'll be left with a watch that is thicker than it needs to be.

Open dial however? Now THAT wold be nice! Unfortunately Rolex movements would need to be re-designed as they don't look particularly appealing from the top.
Old 15 June 2013, 01:24 AM   #45
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
GS like others have states make a great watch and definitely can not be compared to a regular seiko. The only thing in common is letters in their name.

However the Rolex exp one is just such an iconic piece. That alone would make me pick this over the GS.
Old 15 June 2013, 01:39 AM   #46
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

well the OP already had a Sub C, he might want to test the water as the grass is always greener on the other side.

but the 20% off for 214270 is too hard to resist.
Old 15 June 2013, 03:02 AM   #47
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
The OP said he was looking at the SBGA001 which is the Champagne with Silver indices whereas the ExpI is obviously black.

You can get the SBGH053 and SBGA001 for $7250 shipped to your door this week from Seiya. More than 20% over the ExpI but if you could swing it might be worthwhile.
Old 15 June 2013, 03:21 AM   #48
c.rod
"TRF" Member

i would stick with rolex due to the fact i think you would have a hard time selling the seiko at a reasonable price. and 'quickly"...

i personally tend to take that into account now days when i buy a watch. how sellable it is,and how bad im gonna take it up the u know what if i try to sell it one day.
Old 15 June 2013, 03:30 AM   #49
RolexDivers
Banned

To me resale is very important. I think it wouldbe easier to sell the EXP than the GS and recoup most of your $$ back than the GS. The fact you have narrowed it down to 2 watches, means you like each one so you will be happy with either one. Therefore get one with the name and the wow factor and the resale history factor and that would be the Rolex ....

The particular GS you are looking at on the other hand might be way way better made than your EXP ... but in the world of resale, it suffers greatly ...I doubt there is any brand out there that does "resale" better than Rolex...

I had the fortune of spending some $$ on watches in the past years and ROLEX Diving watches are a good place to park your money .... I could have bought gold instead but I don't enjoy gold like I enjoy watches ... and I know that if I sell all my stash of Rolexes, I will in the worstcase possible, break even .... you know, like in a case of emergency .... and that's all that's important to me ... Otherwise I do not think Rolexes are as big of a deal as the hype that is around them...
Old 15 June 2013, 03:43 AM   #50
ninotcs
Banned

Watch: Rolex 14060M
I chose Explorer I.

Black Dial milgauss came into picture as well by accident (see my other post..Exp vs MIlgauss) and milgauss was at PHENOMENAL PRICE, $4,600 BNIB (some stickers were taken off). I passed, and someone actually bought it for $4,750.
Guy's dad won it at the charity auction that my AD donated watch, so he sold it to buy a Sub.

I just didn't want to buy a watch that I didn't want, and i checked with some sellers here who had BNIB explorer, it wasn't easy to flip it. I was asked to contribute 400-600 So, i passed on it.
Old 15 June 2013, 03:48 AM   #51
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninotcs View Post
I chose Explorer I.

I just didn't want to buy a watch that I didn't want, and i checked with some sellers here who had BNIB explorer, it wasn't easy to flip it. I was asked to contribute 400-600 So, i passed on it.
Good choice! This is because the Milgauss is a controversial model so while there are some that love it (and touchy about it too), there are a lot more that don't. The Explorer however, is almost universally liked in some shape or form.

Post some pictures!!
Old 15 June 2013, 03:55 AM   #52
applebook
"TRF" Member

I'm contemplating a used GS right now...
Old 15 June 2013, 04:18 AM   #53
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub c, smp
Explorer, just don't like the GS looks, and they fly under the radar to much for a watch that you have spent thousands on, no history or heritage of any note either other than a brand synonymous with cheap quartz watches
Old 15 June 2013, 04:23 AM   #54
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dan View Post
The Explorer however, is almost universally liked in some shape or form.
almost, still being bashed about the short hands, but the basher never focus on the updated movement, updated clasp with easy link.
Old 15 June 2013, 04:24 AM   #55
adt
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko if you are a WIS. All day. These are handmade watches made by the best watchmakers in Japan. In very limited quantities.

The Rolex otherwise if branding, recognition etc is what youre after. Exp1 is a mass produced basic low range sports watch which costs more because Rolex spends more on maintaining their brand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 15 June 2013, 04:34 AM   #56
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adt View Post
Exp1 is a mass produced basic low range sports watch which costs more because Rolex spends more on maintaining their brand.
How is the explorer any "lower range" than say a SubC ND? Same movement inside, same metals used, same mass produced crap (as you insinuate?). If you slate one Rolex in this way you are basically slating them all, none of the models get any better treatment than the others...

If this is how you think, why are you on the Rolex forums?
Old 15 June 2013, 04:59 AM   #57
applebook
"TRF" Member

The Explorer isn't a low rent watch.

Yes, it's mass produced compared to Grand Seikos, but it's still remarkably comparable in quality --and that says A LOT about Rolex, that they're able to maintain such quality with high quantity. No other manufacturer except OMEGA can say the same.
Old 15 June 2013, 05:20 AM   #58
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
...if I sell all my stash of Rolexes, I will in the worstcase possible, break even .... and that's all that's important to me ...
Interesting reason for buying a watch...

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Old 15 June 2013, 05:25 AM   #59
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by adt View Post
Exp1 is a mass produced basic low range sports watch which costs more because Rolex spends more on maintaining their brand.
I'm looking foward to seeing the responses from the defensive Rolex fanboys. Where's the guy with the username "RolexDivers" when you need him. Once the fanboys realize they're out-gunned by people with actual knowledge of horology they'll resort to the always solid, "Rolex will hold its value as an investment." Maybe someone will even get banned!
Old 15 June 2013, 05:29 AM   #60
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninotcs View Post
I know it's not a Rolex, but I was wondering how many of you are considering
taking a plunge on Grand Seiko, now that's coming to the U.S.

I was set to get an Exp I (39mm) from AD (great deal, 20% of sticker) and when i saw grand seiko SBGA001 at the same AD, i was stunned. What an amazing piece of art. It's the same price range as Rolex Exp I, but based on the looks, movement, finishes, dial/hands, it puts Explorer I to shame in my opinion. So now I'm torn.

What are you guys thoughts?
Watch to watch not fair and goes to GS

Rolex vs Seiko, same about of money to be spent I would spend on the Rolex over Seiko, my 2 cents
Closed Thread